For Your Safety
Do not use or store flammable liquids or combustible
materials near your appliances. Invisible vapors from
flammable liquids such as gasoline, paint, solvents
and adhesives are heavier than air and can travel great
distances along the floor. A pilot light or lighted burner
of a gas appliance can ignite these vapors.
Keep all combustible materials, including cloth rags and
paper, away from your water heater, furnace and other
gas or electric appliances. Store all flammable liquids
in tightly closed containers outside, and away from
children, and gas and electric appliances. If you detect
a fire, leave immediately and call 911.
The National Fuel Gas Code requires that if appliances
are installed in residential garages or in areas where
the open use, handling or dispensing of flammable
liquids occurs, the appliances must be placed so that
the main burner and pilot light are elevated at least 18
inches above the floor, unless the appliance is listed as
flammable vapor ignition resistant. A qualified appliance
service contractor or plumber can check this for you.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and
tasteless gas that can make you sick or cause
death. Carbon monoxide occurs when fuel does not
burn completely. Sources include improperly vented
cooking or water heating appliances, auto exhaust,
blocked chimney flues and malfunctioning fuel-burning
appliances.
The presence of carbon monoxide in your home or
business might appear as black soot around vents,
flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access
openings; as condensation on windows or interior walls;
as a yellow flame instead of a blue flame on appliance
burners; as the absence of a draft in your fireplace;
or as dying house plants or unexplained illnesses
in pets. Humidifiers or vaporizers can also cause
condensation on windows.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar
to other illnesses. These symptoms include headache,
dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased
perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting.
As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms may
become more severe and include shortness of breath,
extreme muscular weakness, intermittent convulsions,
mental confusion and unconsciousness. In addition,
severe poisoning can cause these symptoms: change in
skin color; lips and mucous membranes change in color
to cherry red; and heart and lung failure.
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the
presence of carbon monoxide. If you install a detector,
follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding
installation. If you suspect the presence of carbon
monoxide in your home or business, leave
immediately and use a phone located away from
the potential hazard to call 911.
Helpful Prevention Tips
• Check and maintain proper ventilation of flue
and chimney.
• Clean or replace air filters regularly.
• Don’t block air intake areas near appliances.
• Don’t use a gas range or space heater to heat
your home.
• Don’t start your car, lawn mower, snow blower
or any combustion engine in a closed garage.
• Don’t operate your gas grill inside your home,
an enclosed porch or closed garage.
• If you see a yellow flame instead of a blue
one, it’s a warning sign that your natural gas
appliance is not operating properly or is not
vented properly.
Protect yourself and your family. Check
flammable containers, appliances and carbon
monoxide detectors now!
Scalding Hazards
Make sure your water heater is set to a safe temperature.
Check the water temperature before placing a child
in the bathtub; never leave a child alone or with other
young children in the bathtub.
EEmployee
l
Id
Identification
ifi i
Kansas Gas Service employees carry a company photo
identification card. Before allowing anyone to enter into
your home, please ask to see proof of identification. If you
suspect someone is impersonating a Kansas Gas Service
employee or authorized agent, please call 911.
For more information about Kansas Gas Service
or this message on natural gas safety, please visit
our Web site at: www.kansasgasservice.com or
call 1 (800) 794-4780.
Call Before You Dig
If you are planning to dig or perform excavation work,
we need your help in preventing damage to underground
facilities. For your safety, before you dig, excavate, plant
a tree, till a garden or set fence posts, call 811.
If you call two full working days (48 hours) in advance,
underground pipelines and facilities will be marked at
no charge. Records show that damage from excavationrelated activities, particularly from equipment digging
into pipelines, is the number one cause of pipeline
accidents.
For natural gas emergencies
call 911 or call
Kansas Gas Service, toll free:
1 (888) 482-4950
A Message for you about
Natural Gas Safety
K ANSAS
GAS SERVICE
Natural gas safety in your community
Kansas Gas Service is committed to
constructing and maintaining a pipeline
delivery system that complies with applicable
state and federal guidelines, industry
standards and safety regulations. We apply
approved pipeline integrity management
techniques, which monitor system
performance and ensure system reliability.
Your knowledge and understanding of
underground pipeline facilities, damage
prevention and emergency notification is
an important element in ensuring pipeline
integrity and enhancing system performance.
Our goal is to deliver clean, efficient,
and reliable natural gas throughout the
communities we serve.
Your senses can help
detect natural gas
Natural gas heats our homes, cooks our meals,
cleans and dries our clothes, produces hot water
on demand, lights our yards and even powers
vehicles. Natural gas is a natural resource
that is environmentally friendly and is the
cleanest and most efficient energy source
available. Even though natural gas is safe, when
used improperly it can cause accidents to occur.
Use your senses–your nose, eyes, and ears to
stay alert to potential dangers.
Look – Blowing dirt, persistent bubbling in
standing water, or dead vegetation are signs of a
possible leak around the pipeline area.
Listen – Listen for any unusual noise like a
hissing or roaring sound.
Smell – Notice any unusual “rotten egg” odor.
What to do if you suspect a gas
leak in your home
While natural gas is naturally colorless and
odorless, we’ve added a chemical agent called
mercaptan, which has an unnatural scent, to
warn you if a gas leak is present.
If you smell a
“rotten egg”
or pungent odor in or
around your home, at work,
or in your neighborhood,
this odor may be the result
of a natural gas leak.
If you see a
“yellow” flame
instead of a
blue flame on your
furnace or water heater it’s a
warning sign that gas fuel is
burning inefficiently. It means
an increased potential for
carbon monoxide poisoning
and higher fuel bills. Have gas
appliances checked regularly
by a qualified technician.
If you hear
a “hissing”
noise around your gas
meter, around appliances
or if your appliances fail
to ignite, you may have a
natural gas leak. If you
see unexplained dead
vegetation or bubbling
puddles of water in or
around your yard or your
gas meter outside, you may
have a gas leak.
If you think you have any of these warning signs,
leave the area immediately!
DO NOT flip a light switch.
DO NOT light a match.
DO NOT use your telephone or wireless phone.
Any of these actions can cause a fire or explosion.
DO extinguish cigarettes or other
smoking materials.
To report a natural gas leak or emergency call
Kansas Gas Service from a telephone away from your home:
1 (888) 482-4950 or dial 911
Remain away from the building until an official familiar with the situation tells you it is safe
to return. Once your gas has been shut off, do not try to turn it back on. Only a qualified
service person may perform this task.
continued
10/07
KGS Busckslip.F:Layout 1
6/19/08
11:18 AM
Page 1
Natural
Gas Generators–
power without interruption
Kansas weather may be unpredictable – but having the
power you need, when you need it, doesn’t have to be.
A natural gas generator provides automatic emergency backup power to
support your electrical needs should your power ever be interrupted.
Efficient. With the cost of petroleum and other fuel oils at record levels,
natural gas-powered generators are much more affordable and
convenient to operate.
Dependable. Natural gas generators are supplied by the same service
that fuels your furnace, water heater and other gas appliances.
Automatic. Natural gas generators are wired directly into your
electrical system. Within seconds of a power outage, the unit comes on,
supplies power and switches off when power returns – automatically,
even when you are away from home.
Clean. Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel and is
environmentally friendly.
So during those times of unexpected power outages that can come from
a summer storm or winter’s freeze, a natural gas generator can keep
life’s daily routines going without interruption.
To request more information about natural gas
generators, please complete the form on the back.
KGS Busckslip.F:Layout 1
6/19/08
11:18 AM
Page 2
Want to know more?
Kansas Gas Service partners with equipment
sales and installation professionals who can
determine which generator is right for you.
For more information about
natural gas generators,
please complete this
form and return to:
Kansas Gas Service
Business Development Group
P.O. Box 25957
Shawnee Mission, KS 66225-5957
NAME
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
DAY PHONE
EVENING PHONE
I am interested in a generator for my:
■ Home and/or ■ Business
www.kansasgasservice.com
ZIP
Download PDF
Similar pages