2014 Handbook

2014 Handbook
Updates to this Document
Welcome from the Master
Graduate House
Living in Canberra
Staff of Graduate House
Living at Graduate House
Residency Regulations
Leaving the House
Facilities at Graduate House
Facilities at University House
This document may be updated from time to time. Generally draft updates will be circulated in
advance for comment and will be the result of consultation between the Master, Operations
Manager, Administration Manager, Student Representatives and Student Residents. Following
consultation, the updated document will be distributed to all Student Residents and will become
effective 28 days after receipt. Graduate House places an emphasis on consultation with residents
and being responsive to resident needs and concerns. In the event that a change does not suit a
resident, even after the consultation period, that Resident may vacate his/her room at any time
during the 28 day period and no penalty will be imposed, notwithstanding that he/she did not give
the notice normally required before departure.
This Handbook has been designed to provide residents with information both useful to their
settling in, and necessary to an understanding of their rights and responsibilities while residents
of Graduate House. As the contents of the House Handbook forms part of the ‘Occupancy
Agreement’, it is advisable to read it carefully. If you are uncertain about any aspects of
information included in the Handbook, please contact the Administration Manager, Operations
Manager or Master of Graduate House for clarification.
In all ANU Halls of Residence, residents are expected to maintain a mature and responsible
attitude to life, with informality being the general approach. This responsible attitude allows us to
keep the number of rules to a minimum, but the following specific resident responsibilities are
brought to your attention.
Graduate House:
 Is non-smoking;
 Does not tolerate illegal drugs or firearms;
 Does not allow any pets;
 Requires noise levels to be kept to reasonable levels;
 Makes residents responsible for the behaviour of their guests; and
 Will terminate an Occupancy Agreement for anti-social behaviour, such as theft, harassment,
drunkenness, wilful damage, any sort of violence, interfering with fire alarms or safety
equipment, disobeying the instructions of a Fire Warden, or a breach of any of the rules in
this Handbook or the Occupancy Agreement.
Each resident has an obligation towards community-minded behaviour. The rules set out in this
Handbook are designed to maintain a happy, safe, and harmonious living and study environment
for all.
In return for meeting their responsibilities, residents can expect:
 To be treated courteously and politely by staff;
 To receive adequate prior notice before work is carried out in the House that may cause
 The provision and upkeep of a safe, clean and reasonably quiet living and study
 The House reserves the right to enter a room where a potential emergency exists (e.g. fire
alarm, concern for a resident’s welfare), to deal with noise emanating from unattended
rooms, to conduct inspections, or attend to maintenance issues while respecting the right to
 To receive a Schedule of Fees setting out their financial commitments for the year. These
charges may change throughout the year; and
 The opportunity to express concerns or ideas for the operation or improvement of the House.
It is my very great pleasure to welcome you to the Graduate House community. We have 150
residents here from many different countries; they form a thriving and supportive community of
scholars pursuing postgraduate coursework or research qualifications.
Graduate House is also part of the University House community. University House has a further
60 PhD residents so that together we are a group of more than 200 with the common goal of
postgraduate study at the Australian National University.
We hope that you will regard Graduate House as your home and the people who live and work
here, along with those at University House, as your friends and family while you are with us. We
also hope, of course, that when you leave here you will remain a part of the alumni network of
this House which has been in the Australian National University for over 30 years.
While Graduate House is principally your place of residence, I do hope it will also be an
environment in which you can find social, physical and emotional support. The House provides
an environment where each of its residents can live and work without disturbing or being
disturbed by those with whom they live and where they can enjoy the benefits of a fulfilling
social life.
In this Handbook you will find a description of the facilities in your room, those at Graduate
House generally and those available to you at University House. The Handbook also provides
information on what you can expect at Graduate House and what we and fellow residents expect
of you. Living and working in a small, closely-knit community means that all of us have to
respect the rights of others to privacy, quiet, and the equal enjoyment of the facilities we offer.
I hope your stay is an enjoyable one and that you will look back on your experience with us as a
very happy and memorable period in your life. I wish you every success in your studies and I am
delighted that you have chosen to be a member of Graduate House during your time at the
The Australian National University was founded in 1946 as a research-intensive university with a
commitment to postgraduate research, as a means for advancing knowledge and for preparing the
next generation of leaders. In 1960 it took in undergraduate residents for the first time; its
undergraduate program benefits directly from the University's international recognition as
Australia's pre-eminent research university.
The House has long enjoyed a reputation for providing a quiet and undisturbed environment in
which postgraduate residents can work and live. Its central location and collegial atmosphere is
ideal for postgraduate residents looking for a mature, friendly and supportive residence. The
House is within easy walking distance of the Faculties, Research Schools, Centres, libraries,
sporting and other ANU facilities. It is also within walking distance of the city centre.
Graduate House provides single, and limited double, self-catered accommodation for full time
graduate residents of the ANU. Accommodation may also be available for visiting graduate
residents from other universities who have the opportunity to spend time at the ANU for the
purpose of study, thesis research or fieldwork. The residents represent a truly international
community, with residents from many countries studying in a wide variety of academic
Graduate House is part of the University House postgraduate community with residents entitled
and encouraged to participate in almost all academic activities arranged by the Houses as part of
their residency. We do hope you will take advantage of those activities and of all the amenities
the two Houses have to offer you.
For those of you unfamiliar with Australia and/or the Australian capital, Canberra is a very clean
and quiet city surrounded by bushland and parks. Canberra is a 3-hour drive from Sydney; it is 7
hours from Melbourne and about 2 hours from the coast.
The population of the City is about 380,000, although it feels much smaller. It is the centre of
federal government in Australia, and houses the National Parliament, the National Library of
Australia, the Australian National Museum, the High Court of Australia, and many other
monuments and buildings of national and cultural importance. Many of these are set around
Lake Burley Griffin, which is the geographical centre of Canberra.
Canberra is a decentralized city and many people have their own home and garden in the suburbs.
The centre of the city – known as Civic – is approximately a 20-minute walk from Graduate
House. In Civic you’ll find cinemas, shopping facilities, nightclubs, restaurants and a great deal
more. However, most residents find the facilities at ANU meet their needs such that they need to
visit Civic only occasionally; there are restaurants, cafes, bars, libraries, sporting and medical
facilities all on campus.
Canberra is warm and dry in summer, going down to about 15 ºC (60 ºF) at night and up to about
32 ºC (90 ºF) – sometimes hotter – during the day. Winter is cold and dry, often freezing at night,
and about 10 ºC (50 ºF) during the day. Canberra is on Australian Eastern Standard Time but
moves to Daylight Savings Time from October to April.
Canberra’s public transport system (buses only) meets the needs of most residents. The airport is
15 minutes by car from the ANU and taxis to the University cost approximately $30. Canberra is
a great place for riding a bicycle; Australian law requires cyclists to wear helmets.
Canberra enjoys a wide range of cultures and has the culinary requirements to satisfy them all;
you’ll find the ingredients for most international cuisines within easy reach.
The Master has overall responsibility for all aspects of the governance of the House. With advice
and assistance from the Advisory Committee, the Master is responsible for House policy. To
make an appointment with the Master, please call ext. 55334.
Operations Manager
The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall running of the House, which includes
assisting the Master with the formulation and implementation of House policies. To make an
appointment with the Operations Manager, please call ext. 55277.
Administration Manager
The Administration Manager has responsibility for the day-to-day running of Graduate House.
To make an appointment with the Administration Manager, please call ext. 51999.
Administration Assistant
The Administration Assistant performs all of the day-to-day reception duties. The Assistant
provides services to our residents – from accepting/processing accommodation requests and
bookings, processing charges, distributing mail, sending and/or receiving faxes, organising
maintenance and performing check-in/check-outs and all other reception-related duties.
Maintenance Staff
The Maintenance team are staff members from University House who attend to minor
maintenance at Graduate House. Residents with any maintenance issues requiring attention are
to report them to the Administration Assistant who in turn will advise the Maintenance staff.
NB: Depending on circumstances, you may wish to take up particular issues with the Operations
Manager or the Master, but in most cases problems arising can be best dealt with through
discussion with the Administration Manager or Student Representatives.
Single accommodation is offered for postgraduate students in 141 of the 150 student rooms. The
remaining 9 student rooms are double rooms (double bed) and are for postgraduate students and
their spouse/partner. A furnished Common Room is located opposite Reception with separate
Music and TV Rooms located towards the front of the House off Mac Boot Walk.
Five of these single rooms are designated disabled rooms and are assigned to residents with the
understanding that should a disabled applicant require a room, one of these residents will be relocated to another room.
Each resident’s single or double study bedroom at Graduate House is furnished and carpeted.
Please note that you are responsible for your room and its contents.
Criteria for Admission
Because of the limited space available and the importance of maintaining an agreeable
environment for academic work, students seeking long-term accommodation at Graduate House
should be full-time postgraduate/research students of The Australian National University.
As the accommodation rates at the House are lower than the private sector residential market, the
student rooms are generally for those postgraduates being supported financially by scholarship
income rather than by full time wages or salaries.
All applicants must be postgraduate/research students studying full-time (or part-time over
multiple semesters). Letters of Offer or ECoE (Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment) for
International students are not sufficient evidence of enrolment. No offers for accommodation
will be made until enrolment has been confirmed.
Visiting Scholars/Fellows and Occupational Trainees who are not currently studying at the ANU
are asked to submit a letter (via fax or email) to the Graduate House Administration Manager
from their ANU College that confirms they are studying at a postgraduate or research level at an
overseas institution. This information will assist in determining their eligibility for Graduate
Visiting Fellows and Occupational Trainees may obtain short-term accommodation at Graduate
House for a minimum of four weeks to a maximum of six months. However, this is only possible
when one of our current residents sublets their room while they are away on fieldwork. Please be
aware that Graduate House gives priority to placing full-time Postgraduate and Research students
of the ANU. Staff members from other universities are not eligible for accommodation at
Graduate House.
Waiting List
All students hoping to live at Graduate House must be placed on the waiting list. Students who
are new to the University or are currently living off-campus and are seeking accommodation at
the House must complete an on-line application form. This form is available on the Student
Accommodation page of the Residential and Campus Communities website at
http://rcc.anu.edu.au (under Accommodation Portal). Applications are filed in the date order
received with appropriate allowance for the date accommodation is actually required. Frequently
Asked Questions regarding the Graduate House waiting list may be requested from Graduate
House Reception.
Allocation of Rooms
All students are allocated the standard size single room (4.58 meters x 5.88 meters), with the
exception of those seeking accommodation in one of the nine double rooms.
Period of Stay
Residents may stay at Graduate House while soever they are abiding by the terms and conditions
set out in their Occupancy Agreement and are enrolled on a full-time basis for their program of
studies/research, up to the time they complete studies/graduate or submit their thesis. Generally,
residents are allowed to stay 4 weeks beyond completion of studies/graduation or thesis
submission to give them time to finalise their affairs with the University. In exceptional
circumstances, residents may apply to the Master to stay in residence longer, on a part-time basis
or if their studies are suspended.
An Occupancy Agreement between a new resident and Graduate House will be signed for the
time ranging from the date of arrival to the end of the calendar year (31 December). A new
Occupancy Agreement will be signed by continuing/returning residents prior to the expiration of
the previous one in force and will cover the period from 1 January of the following year for the
period of stay required or to the end of the year (31 December), whichever is applicable.
Exceptions to this Period of Stay are residents who are subletting their rooms on a short-term
basis. The minimum period of stay is 28 days.
Academic Expectations
The House exists to support the academic endeavours and personal development of its residents
by maintaining suitable community values and assistance and guidance to individuals. Residents
should be aware that the Australian National University has stringent standards regarding
academic progress that may affect your enrolment and therefore your eligibility for residency in
the House. More information can be found at:
It is the responsibility of the resident to advise the Administration Manager that they have
completed their studies/will be graduating, submitted their thesis or if their enrolment status has
changed (e.g. they will be taking a leave of absence from their studies). The Administration
Manager will also conduct enrolment checks each semester in order to confirm the enrolment
status of all residents.
A Culturally Diverse Environment
Graduate House has a long history of fostering diversity, with a student body reflective of the
general cultural mix on campus, and consistent with the international role of the ANU. Being
composed mainly of research students from many different countries, our student body from time
to time undoubtedly includes future world leaders and heads of national organisations from many
countries. The friendships they form while here can be critical to future successful relationships
between their countries and organisations, and Australia. We see it as an important element of
our role, therefore, to maintain an environment of cultural and national diversity in which
international friendships can flourish.
As Graduate House does not accept cash, all payments must be made by EFTPOS (bank/debit
card) or Credit Card. Graduate House does not accept cash, American Express, Diners Club or
Accommodation fees are set by the University every year. The room rate, which is exempt of
GST (Goods & Services Tax), includes water consumption.
Residents must pay 14 nights’ accommodation charges in advance upon acceptance of an offer.
The accommodation account is to be kept in credit at all times. Residents are notified if their
account falls into arrears.
A Refundable Deposit must also be paid at Reception upon acceptance of an offer in accordance
with the Graduate House Schedule of Fees. The purpose of the deposit is to cover any unpaid
items on a resident’s account at the end of their stay and to cover any damages to their room.
Upon departure, the resident’s room will be inspected and the deposit refunded, subject to any
charges for damage or unpaid accounts.
All charges posted to your account as per usage must be paid directly at Reception with the
exception of the Room (tariff) and associated charges (noted in the Schedule of Fees) which are
processed via Direct Debit each fortnight.
Although the preferred method of payment for rent is by Direct Debit from your nominated bank
account, Graduate House does accept payment by Credit Card. Please see Reception for details.
Please note, however, that Graduate House is not obliged to accept any requests made to vary the
payment terms of the Occupancy Agreement.
In the case of double room residents, Graduate House is prepared to accept payment for rent from
either the student resident or their partner. Double room residents acknowledge that nomination
of a partner’s account does not alleviate the student resident from any responsibility for paying
fees and charges associated with the use of the Room.
Reception may provide residents with a Tax Statement upon request. These statements break
down a resident’s account balances and indicate any outstanding amounts owing to Graduate
House. Residents are expected to make regular payments on their accounts, with the House terms
for payment being 30 days.
Graduate House Management encourages residents to take the opportunity to conserve energy
where and when possible by, for example, turning appliances (such as the wall heater) off at the
power point when they are not in use.
The cost of replacing lost or damaged items such as keys may be found in the Graduate House
Schedule of Fees (please note that not all items may be listed).
Financial Assistance
In exceptional cases where a resident is experiencing difficulty in meeting their financial
obligations to the House that resident should contact the Administration Manager to arrange an
alternative payment schedule.
University Accommodation Emergency Bursaries
Residents who are in genuine need of financial assistance are encouraged to apply for
accommodation bursaries that are available from the Residential and Campus Communities
website http://rcc.anu.edu.au/assistance.php.
The Erica Schmuck Fund
A fund for residents in need has been established in the name of Ms Erica Schmuck, a former
resident and great contributor to the Graduate House and wider University communities. The aim
of the Erica Schmuck Fund is to support residents who are experiencing financial difficulty that
may be overcome by a small provision of money from the House towards Rent.
Residents who are experiencing a particular financial hardship and find themselves unable to
meet their financial obligations to the House are encouraged to apply in writing to the
Administration Manager. The Administration Manager will review applications, forwarding on
recommendations to the Master of the House for a final decision.
Please note that requests for amounts in excess of $200.00 cannot be considered. Residents
requiring greater financial assistance are encouraged to seek advice regarding bursaries from
Residential and Campus Communities or to speak with the University’s Student Welfare Advisor
As with other financial transactions with the House, monies from the Erica Schmuck Fund are
not cash based. Upon approval from the Master, an electronic transfer of funds from Graduate
House to the resident Rent account will take place.
Student Representatives
The Graduate Resident Advisory Committee for University House & Graduate House acts as a
sounding board for the interests and concerns of residents. It advises the Master on policy,
management and governance of both Houses and the Student Representatives bring forward
issues, ideas and matters pertaining to the well-being of residents in both Houses.
The Graduate Resident Advisory Committee meets at least four times a year and Tenure for
Student Representatives is from March to February. The Committee consists of the Master of the
House, the Operations Manager, the Graduate House Administration Manager, the University
House Rooms Division Manager, a Chair, four non-residents and Graduate House & University
House residents who act as the Student Representatives of the Houses.
Elections to these voluntary positions take place annually at the beginning of the year.
Representatives are elected by and from the residents of Graduate House. It is preferable that
Student Representatives be a permanent resident of the House for the entire period (not subletting
and not planning to depart for fieldwork or vacate the House). Representatives who have been
appointed in previous years may be reappointed to their position provided both the Advisory
Committee and the Representatives are happy for the reappointment to take place. In such cases,
only vacant positions will be filled to make a full compliment of Representatives.
The Master and Management regard the Student Representatives as the representatives for the
resident body as a whole. Similarly, though residents will normally deal with the Administration
Manager, the Student Representatives have direct access to the Master and the Operations
Manager. Please note, though, that any resident with a particular personal problem may contact
the Master at any time.
Duty Residents
There are six paid Residential Scholars appointed annually at the beginning of the year from
among the residents of Graduate House as the result of an application process to perform Duty
Resident responsibilities. The selection is made by a committee consisting of the Operations
Manager, Administration Manager and a Student Resident nominated by Management. Duty
Residents who have been appointed in previous years may be reappointed to their position
provided both Graduate House management and the Duty Resident are happy for the
reappointment to take place. In such cases, only vacant positions will be filled to make the full
complement of Duty Residents.
Duty Residents are responsible to the Administration Manager in the discharge of their duties and
will be provided with appropriate training (including fire/emergency safety and first aid).
Duty Residents are rostered for after-hours duties as follows:
Monday-Friday: 4.00pm-11.00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays: 9.00am-11.00pm
Duty Residents may be contacted on their room extension (noted on the roster located in the
foyer entrance), on 0416 249 463 or on ext. 60147. Upon ringing ext. 60147, you will be greeted
with a message informing you that you will be connected to the Duty Resident mobile after a
short pause of a few seconds. Do not hang up. If there is no answer on the Duty Resident
mobile, you will automatically be transferred to ANU Security for assistance.
Residents should generally expect a response time of 5-10 minutes from the time they ring a Duty
Resident for assistance. Duty Residents may not necessarily be in Graduate House during their
rostered time though they will be nearby.
The Duty Residents are responsible for:
 Being on-call for the weekly after hours Duty Roster;
 Welcoming new residents;
After hours collection of parcels, vacuum cleaners, sports or other equipment supplied by the
Enabling access to resident storage and function areas;
Acting as Fire Warden.
NB: Residents are asked to refrain from vacuuming after 10.00pm daily.
IT Assistant
There is one paid Residential Scholar appointed annually at the beginning of the year from
among the residents of Graduate House as the result of an application process to perform IT
Assistant responsibilities. The selection is made by a committee consisting of the Operations
Manager, Administration Manager and a Student Resident nominated by Management. An IT
Assistant who has been appointed in previous years may be reappointed to the position provided
both Graduate House management and the IT Assistant are happy for the reappointment to take
The IT Assistant is available to check resident personal computers and advise residents on how to
get their machines ready for connection to the University network. Though the IT Assistant
cannot undertake hardware repairs on behalf of residents, he/she may refer residents to
professionals for hardware repairs.
Please bear in mind that this position is held by a fellow resident and as such time frames for
assistance will apply. Please see Reception for details.
Senior Residents
There are five paid Residential Scholars appointed annually at the beginning of the year from
among the residents of Graduate House as the result of an application process to perform Senior
Resident responsibilities. The selection is made by a committee consisting of the Operations
Manager, Administration Manager and a Student Resident nominated by Management. Senior
Residents who have been appointed in previous years may be reappointed to their position
provided both Graduate House management and the Senior Resident are happy for the
reappointment to take place. In such cases, only vacant positions will be filled to make the full
complement of Senior Residents.
Senior Residents are responsible to the Administration Manager in the discharge of their duties
and will be provided with appropriate training (including fire/emergency safety and first aid).
Senior Residents will be responsible for the pastoral care of a group of Graduate House residents
and will undertake activities that contribute to the enhancement of academic and community life
in Graduate House and the wider University community.
Graduate Common Room/Social Committee
The objectives of the Graduate Common Room (GCR) are to:
1) Promote and encourage the academic, cultural, artistic, sporting, and social life of
Graduate House;
2) Establish and maintain good working relations within Graduate House (among Residents,
Administration, Senior Residents and Duty Residents);
3) Acknowledge the diversity of Graduate House Residents and help ensure that all
Residents have the opportunity to participate in and enjoy every aspect of House life; and
4) Administer the funds of the GCR in a manner that meets all financial, audit and other
requirements of the Australian National University (‘the University’), and subject to the
approval of the relevant Delegate and the Master.
The GCR is formed from volunteer residents nominated and elected by and from the residents.
Committee members are also responsible for expenditures from the GCR fund by way of social
activities. The Terms of Reference for the GCR are available from Reception upon request.
Washing machines and dryers are available between the hours of 7.00am-10.00pm. Laundry
usage is included in the tariff though residents should be considerate of the need for the fellow
residents to make use of the washing machines. Please make the most of your wash loads in
order to minimize the length of time the machines are occupied.
Whiteboards and markers are available for residents to note if they are using a machine and when
they will return to collect their belongings. This being said, residents should not leave their
clothes unattended, as the House takes no responsibility for clothes left in unattended machines or
on clotheslines. Unclaimed laundry left in the laundry rooms or on the clotheslines will be
removed and collected for the Smith Family Foundation.
Residents who hand wash their laundry are asked to ensure that all surfaces are wiped clean/dry
and that wet items are kept clear of power sources. Wet surfaces will cause the power to short
out in these appliances and will create an electric shock to users who are not careful of where
they are placing their laundry.
Kitchen (Common Room)
Residents holding private functions or defrosting their freezer may use the Common Room
kitchen refrigerator and freezer for temporary storage of perishable goods.
Residents who use the kitchen are responsible for maintaining its cleanliness, including sinks,
floor, benches, cupboards and refrigerator/freezer. Essentially, this means removing any food
that could or has deteriorated so that other food is not contaminated, wiping down benches and
cleaning up after yourself in general.
It is important to note that all food items being temporarily stored in the refrigerator and freezer
in the Common Room kitchen must have a name, room number and collection date clearly
written on each item. The Graduate House cleaner will regularly check on and dispose of items
that do not have this information or are left beyond the noted collection date.
Kitchen Safety
Residents must take every precaution when cooking to prevent injury to themselves and others:
 Never leave anything cooking without supervision. With regard to this, you will find a
timer switch attached to the wall above the oven/stove top. The safety mechanism timer
minimizes the risk of a fire starting through misuse of the oven/stove top.
 Protruding pots and pans have the potential to be hazardous; someone could
inadvertently bump a pot, spilling its contents, so always turn handles inwards.
 Do not pour fat or oil down the sink. This is an environmental hazard and may block the
drains with solidifying fat. The preferred method of disposal is to pour the fat or oil into
a sealable container, which can be thrown into the bin.
 There is a fire extinguisher and fire blanket provided in the Common Room kitchen.
Should a fire involve fat or cooking oil, use this equipment and NOT water, as water
does not extinguish these fires.
Only use plastic containers in the microwave ovens. Never place anything metallic in
the microwave ovens, as this will cause damage.
Cover all containers being heated in the microwave as food splatters cause rapid rusting
and deterioration of the microwave.
It is absolutely essential that footwear be worn at all times in the Kitchen,
and in all areas of Graduate House. This is a Health and Safety Regulation.
Rubbish and Recycling
Residents are asked to dispose regularly of their rubbish and recycling by placing them in the
appropriate bins provided at the House. Residents are asked to clean and disinfect their rubbish
bins regularly and to not keep waste outside of their room as these items attract insects, birds and
pests such as rodents.
There is no housekeeping facility at the House that will look after residents’ personal space or
belongings; residents are responsible for the upkeep of their immediate room and for common
areas that they use. Should any resident be found disposing of waste/recyclable material in any
area of the building or in the rubbish and recycling area and not using the appropriate bins
provided, they will receive a warning and could be fined the amount required to make good the
area. Residents should be aware that part of their Occupancy Agreement is dependent on
responsibly caring for their environment and that Management is under no obligation to extend
agreements for those who are not able to fulfil the conditions of their agreement.
Bicycle Racks
Bicycles may be rented (helmet and bike lock are provided free of charge) for up to one year
through ANU Green as part of their sustainability program to help students get around campus.
Bicycle Racks are available at Graduate House. We strongly recommend residents purchase a
sturdy locking device such as a U-lock to secure their bike; regardless of advertising, “coil” locks
are routinely and quickly cut.
Graduate House provides a bicycle registration service to ensure there is plenty of space available
for residents’ bicycles and to help protect bicycles against theft. All bicycles stored at Graduate
House must be registered with Reception and stored in bicycle sheds. As a matter of courtesy and
safety, please do not park your bicycles in stairwells or block access along pathways as they can
pose a serious hazard. Bicycles found locked to poles, down pipes, stairwell railing or without
registration stickers will have their locks cut by our maintenance staff.
As space is limited and it is sometimes difficult for residents to find a place for their bicycle in
the sheds, the Graduate House Residential Scholars will be assisting House management at the
start of each semester by placing warning tags on bicycles that appear to be abandoned or do not
have a registration sticker on them.
Residents will have four weeks from a date specified by House management to register their
bicycles if they have not already done so or if they receive a warning tag on their bicycle.
Bicycles not registered after that four week period will be considered abandoned and/or unwanted
and in accordance with the Uncollected Goods Act (ACT) 1996 will be removed from the
premises and disposed of by our maintenance staff on a date specified by House management.
University House runs a semi-formal dinner each Wednesday evening for members of the House,
academic visitors to the University and for residents. House Dinner adds additional value to
residency at Graduate House, as it has done for residents of University House for many years.
Often there is a lecture or other key event associated with the dinner. There are also special
Wednesday evening dinners for the University’s postgraduates, to mark graduation in July and
December, and to celebrate the commencement of the academic year.
Graduate House residents wishing to attend House Dinner must RSVP by the noted deadline to
their email invitation from “University House Dinner.”
Details for House Dinner are as follows (but are subject to change):
Date: Wednesday evenings
Time: Pre-dinner drinks in the Common Room at 6.00pm; dinner in the Hall at 6.15pm.
Venue: University House
Dress: Neat/smart casual (unless otherwise advised) No thongs, T-shirts and tracksuits may be
worn with the minimum dress standard being slip on shoes, long shorts and polo shirt (collared
short sleeve casual shirt).
University House will cater for vegetarians, vegans and other special diets at House Dinners. If
notice is not given, the House cannot guarantee that special meals will be available on the night.
Graduate and University House staff ask residents to be mindful of the time and effort that goes
in to organising meals for such large numbers. Please bear in mind that a great deal of food goes
to waste if those who have been catered for do not show for dinner.
Please notify Reception if you have signed up for dinner but find you are unable to attend and
know in advance. We usually have other residents waiting for a chance to attend dinner.
Incoming mail is placed in your mailbox, located in the foyer of Graduate House. Residents are
reminded that cash should not be sent in the mail under any circumstances.
Residents should arrange for their mail to be addressed as follows:
Room Number, Graduate House
Building 118 Garran Road
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
A telephone handset is available in each room. These handsets are designed specifically to be
used with the University’s PABX system and cannot be replaced with personal handsets.
Residents are provided with free calls within Graduate House, the University, to Emergency
Services on 000 and Lifeline (crisis support and suicide prevention) on 131114. All other calls
made from your room are charged 10 seconds after commencement of a call. Telephone calls
made to 1800 numbers are at no charge though calls to 1300 numbers are charged at normal rates.
Residents should be aware that calls are not cut-off mid phone call when the credit on their
account runs out. The account will continue to go into debit until the call is complete. An
account in debit will not allow a resident to make their next outgoing phone call until a payment
has been made to bring the account back into credit. The only exception to this is for calls made
to Emergency Services on 000 and Lifeline on 131114.
The telephone handsets provide voicemail services. There is a maximum of 20 messages able to
be stored in each mailbox. Once this limit has been reached any further callers diverted to the
voice mail will not be able to leave a message. Calls to an extension will be diverted to voice
mail after six rings. It is up to residents to manage their mailboxes. Residents may check their
voice mail by dialling ext. 53333 and entering their password.
Residents may check their phone credit balance by dialling ext. 58000 and entering their
extension number followed by #.
Room phones are not to be used for lobbying or for otherwise annoying other residents, staff or
students of the University or other people. Any resident who receives nuisance or offensive
phone calls should advise the Administration Assistant or Administration Manager. The abuse of
a person’s privacy in this way cannot be tolerated and offenders may face disciplinary action.
Making calls from your room
Graduate House Reception:
Dial ext. 51999. There is a short pause before you hear the ringing.
Graduate House after hours Duty Resident:
Dial 0416 249 463 or ext. 60147.
In House:
For room-to-room calls, use 41600 as the base number.
The room number is then added to 41600 to create the extension:
i.e.: 41600 + 101 (for Room 101) = ext. 41701
or 41600 + 338 (for Room 338) = ext. 41938.
University House Reception:
Dial ext. 55211
Internal to ANU:
Dial 5 followed by the last 4 digits of the actual telephone number:
i.e.: 5 5211when the telephone number is 6125 5211
Calls to ANU Halls & Colleges:
Not all Halls and Colleges are supported by the University telephone system resulting in
various prefixes needing to be dialled depending on the Hall or College you wish to contact.
Calls outside the ANU:
Dial 0, to gain access
Dial 0 followed by the local Canberra number.
Long Distance Dial 0 followed by the area code then the number you are calling.
International Dial 0 followed by 0011 + country code + area code + number.
Emergency Services (for Police, Fire or Ambulance): Dial 0 000
NB: Residents can also access emergency services by installing the Emergency+ App
available through the App Store or Google Play.
Lifeline (for Crisis Support and Suicide Prevention): Dial 0 131114
Police (non emergency):
Dial: 0 13 14 44 (for Police attendance)
Dial: 0 6256 7777 (for general enquiries)
Faxes may be sent and received from Reception. Charges apply for fax transmissions based on
the destination. Faxes received for residents are placed in their mailbox at a cost as per the
Graduate House Schedule of Fees. Charges for faxes sent vary and residents are asked to see
Reception for charge details. Please ensure the sender uses your full name, in English, on
incoming faxes.
Wireless access is provided at Graduate House to all residents in addition to LAN access.
Graduate House management has one main email distribution list used for the purpose of
conveying information to residents. Membership of the distribution list used by Graduate House
management is compulsory. Email addresses provided by residents are maintained in the
University’s accommodation database for this purpose and it is recommended that residents use
their ANU address as their primary contact.
Residents wishing to connect to the wireless network may do so through the following website:
http://wireless.anu.edu.au; using ANU-Secure / Resnet installer v3.1.4b. Although we do not
have install guides for all Operating Systems below is a list of the basic settings required.
Note that Operating Systems vary in what they name each setting:
 WPA2 - Enterprise not Personal if given a choice
 PEAP - usually called outer method, version 0 if given a choice
 MSCHAPv2 or EAP-GTC or EAP-TTLS - usually called inner method
 Outer Identity: University ID - do not use anonymous
 Inner Identity: University ID
Most areas, including gardens and common areas, have very strong signal strength, though a
small number of areas (resident rooms located within internal style corridors that are surrounded
by brick/concrete/metal building materials) have weaker signal strength that may require an
antenna to be placed outside the room to improve connectivity. Please note that Graduate House
will not reimburse residents who choose to use wireless in the House and may require an antenna.
As a general rule, the wireless connection will not be as fast as the LAN connection provided in
your room. This is true for all resident rooms at Graduate House and throughout the ANU
Resident access to the Internet is provided through the University and residents are subject to all
relevant University Statutes, Rules, Orders, policies and procedures governing use of information
technology resources as well as other applicable laws.
Please note that the ANU requires all residents connecting to the Internet to have installed:
 An up-to-date virus scanner; and
 All current security patches for your operating system.
To help residents protect their machine, the University provides a free virus scanner to all staff
and students as well as providing local copies of security patches for operating systems. It is also
recommended that residents turn on, or install, a personal firewall blocking as much network
traffic as possible. For more information on how to secure your machine and to download your
free virus scanner please visit the web site http://security.anu.edu.au.
As noted, the Resident IT Assistant is available to check resident machines and will be able to
advise residents how to get it ready for connection to the network. After residents have
connected, they will need to continually monitor their computer and ensure that it is kept up to
Modems cannot be used in the House, as the phones operate on the ANU’s PABX system. The
PABX is incompatible with modems and may damage your equipment due to its high voltage.
Residents must not extend their local network with hubs, switches or wireless LAN access points,
according to the ANU’s Networks Operation Policy.
The security of resident machines is not the responsibility of the House. It is each resident’s
responsibility to ensure that their virus scanner is up to date and that their computer has the latest
operating system updates. Failure to do so may result in internet access being revoked by the
University without notice.
University IT networks may not be used to copy or distribute copyright material without the
permission of the copyright holder. Breaches can lead to immediate sanctions and suspension
from the network and action by the University under the University’s IT policies and Discipline
Please see http://itservices.anu.edu.au/overview-and-structure/governance/policies/ for more
information on relevant University IT policies.
The Halls of Residence recognise the need to promote individual and communal good health,
hygiene and general well-being in their respective communities.
The ANU Counselling Centre and Health Services are located near the Sports Centre on North
Road, provide many services, including general practice medicine, physiotherapy, nursing and
counselling. Most services are free to those students who have Health Care Cover. A visit to
Health Services for a normal consultation is charged at minimal rate for students of the ANU.
Please call the Health Centre for enquiries on ext. 53598 or visit http://health.anu.edu.au/.
Severe Psychological Distress
Where a resident seems to be showing signs of significant psychological distress (such as selfharming behaviour, symptoms of a psychotic episode or suicidal ideation), a staff member will
attempt to ensure that appropriate support is made available. This may include consultation with
and/or referral to health or counselling services including ACT Mental Health, University
Counselling Centre, ANU Health Service or another health service provider. A ‘Safety Plan’ may
also be developed in collaboration with the resident. As with a medical emergency, where there is
grave concern for the health or well-being of a resident, the Master of the House may contact the
emergency contact person(s) nominated by a resident in the contact details of their
Accommodation Portal account.
Long-term Illness/Disability
In addition to communicable diseases, which may have a direct impact on the operation of the
House, residents occasionally suffer from long-term illnesses or disabilities. Where a resident
suffers from a long-term illness or disability that imposes a significant burden upon the House,
and it is unreasonable for the House to continue to make further adjustments for this illness or
disability, the House reserves the right to terminate a resident’s Occupancy Agreement.
Before considering whether to terminate an Occupancy Agreement, the House will:
 Advise the resident of the impact that their illness has upon the operation of the House and
the other residents, and notify the resident of the Master’s intention to discuss the resident’s
condition with other areas of the University, including Disability Services Unit, the
University Health Service and their academic area; and
 Hold discussions with the above areas to examine alternative methods and reasonable
adjustments that will enable the House to assist in the management of the illness.
See also the Disclosure of Information by Students with a Disability or Illness Policy:
https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_001226 .
Only if the above discussions/resultant actions do not produce a reasonable and appropriate
management process will the Master exercise their discretion to terminate the Occupancy
Communicable Disease
In the case of contracting an infectious disease such as measles, a resident should, if possible,
leave the House for the infectious period. If this is not possible, the resident is to cooperate with
the House to ensure in-house isolation by:
 Restricting himself/herself to his/her own study bedroom and a dedicated bathroom area;
 Avoiding common areas of the House;
 Excluding himself/herself from any House activities during the infectious period;
 Careful hand washing etc. if the infection is contagious by that route; and
 Care with coughing, sneezing in common areas, etc.
The House will provide assistance with the provision of meals and other personal needs, within
the capacity of the House. The Master of the House or Dean of Residents will advise the resident
of the statutory or recommended period of isolation.
If there is a breakout of an infectious disease involving a significant number of residents, the
Master will seek medical advice from University Health Service about how best to contain it.
Notifiable Disease
Where a person has a reasonable suspicion that a resident has a notifiable disease, they will refer
the matter to the Master of the House. Where the Master reasonably believes the resident has a
notifiable disease, the Master will refer the resident to the University's Health Service or the
resident’s own GP for a medical assessment of whether the resident has a notifiable disease.
If the resident does have a notifiable disease the Health Service or GP is required to report the
disease in accordance with the Public Health Act 1997. They (or the Chief Health Officer of the
ACT) may direct the University (and the House) on how any public health aspect of the disease is
to be managed within the University or House, where applicable.
If a resident fails to attend a GP examination on request of the Master of the House, they may be
excluded from the House until such time as they obtain medical advice demonstrating that they
do not pose a disease risk to other residents.
If a resident who does attend a GP examination is required to leave the House because they have
a communicable disease, their return to the House is dependent on them obtaining medical advice
demonstrating that they are fit to return to House and present minimal or no risk to fellow
Where a resident is required to leave House because they have a communicable disease, the
House will provide reasonable assistance to enable the resident to locate suitable alternative
accommodation. Financial hardship for relocation will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Emergency Medical Procedures/Transport to Hospital
The non-emergency transport to hospital is a private matter. Where appropriate, the House will
recommend the use of a taxi. Where a resident chooses to be taken to hospital in a private
vehicle, the House will recommend that a friend, in addition to the driver, also travel with the
person seeking medical care.
The only appropriate transport in an emergency is an ambulance. Ambulance costs are the
responsibility of the person seeking medical care. It is highly recommended that Residents have
health cover that includes ambulance travel.
If staff/Residential Scholars accompany a resident to a hospital there is no requirement for them
to remain after medical care has commenced.
Informing Emergency Contact Person(s)
By nominating an emergency contact person(s) in the Accommodation Portal, residents consent
to Graduate House contacting these persons in cases where the University, Master of the House
or Director of Residential and Campus Communities or nominee determines that there is a
serious or reasonable concern for the health or wellbeing of the resident or others.
Residents are responsible for advising Graduate House via the Accommodation Portal of any
changes to the names or details of their nominated emergency contacts. The University is not
accountable or liable if they are unable to contact an emergency contact because a resident has
failed to change or revise their details.
We highly recommend that residents take out insurance to cover their personal belongings and
ambulance travel. The insurance policy carried by Graduate House does not cover residents’
personal belongings nor does it cover ambulance travel for residents in the event of an
Graduate House does not take responsibility for the loss of, and/or damage to, personal property
through theft or fire and/or sprinkler damage. It is important to remember that theft can only be
avoided if each resident is vigilant about closing/locking all doors and windows in their room,
even when absent for a few minutes (main, screen and sliding doors – on the ground floor – all
have locks or deadbolts fitted). It is also common sense to ensure that your room door is closed
and locked while sleeping.
Public Transport
Bus routes and timetables are available at http://www.action.act.gov.au/timetables_and_maps.
Graduate House is located on a bus route. The bus takes about 10 minutes to travel to the city
centre and 20 minutes to the Belconnen Shopping Centre. University students’ pay about half the
full fare but a student identification card must be shown to receive the reduced rate. Bus tickets
are even cheaper if pre-purchased at a newsagency.
After Hours UniSafe Bus Service
The University operates a free after-hours bus service from Monday to Friday during the
academic year. The bus stops at Union Court, major libraries and all student residences with the
closest collection point to Graduate House located on Garran Road between the Phenomics
Building and Graduate House.
The current timetable and map is available at
The House will maintain an appropriate regime, in conjunction with ANU Security, to assist in
providing all residents with an environment that is safe and secure. The Master of the House will
ensure that staff and functionaries are appropriately trained to deal with security issues, including
when issues should be referred to ANU Security or the Police.
Personal safety is an issue affecting everyone on Campus. By recognising and avoiding
potentially risky situations, you can greatly increase your personal safety. ANU Security will
escort you to/from anywhere on campus to/from the House. Ring ext. 52249 to arrange a security
escort. Security Officers have many duties to perform; delays may at times be unavoidable and
emergencies always take priority.
Again, theft can only be avoided if each resident is vigilant about closing/locking all doors and
windows in their room, even when absent for a few minutes. Doors in Graduate House are
designed to lock when they close but it is always best to ensure security doors close behind you
when entering/exiting the building by physically closing these doors rather than letting them
close on their own.
All doors into Graduate House have security alarms, with some being silent, which are all
directly connected to the ANU security area. Other doors have alarms that go off after a door has
been left open for more than 1 minute. These alarms are very loud. Careless or persistent
sounding of the alarm by a resident will be treated as an offence with any resident responsible
possibly having their Occupancy Agreement terminated.
The ANU emergency security number is ext. 52249 (to dial this number from Graduate House,
dial 52249). Security in Graduate House is reliant on all residents observing security regulations.
These regulations are:
 All lost keys or swipe cards must be reported immediately to Reception;
 All access doors in the building are fitted with alarms and are not to be propped open at any
time for any purpose;
 No one may be given access to Graduate House unless they are a resident of Graduate House
or in the company of a resident. Residents must vouch for any visitors they bring to Graduate
House and the actions of that visitor at all times.
If a resident sees a person acting suspiciously in the House or in the immediate vicinity, including
the car park, they should report it to the Administration Manager, Administration Assistant or a
Residential Scholar and ANU Security.
Security Protocol
Duty Residents are available between 4.00pm and 11.00pm daily (with additional daytime hours
on the weekends and Public Holidays) and should only be contacted after 11.00pm for
emergencies. In the case of an emergency, ANU Security Officers are available to attend to acute
problems. The following is the protocol to be followed by residents and ANU Security Officers
when handling requests after 11.00pm. A Security Officer should be called immediately on 6125
2249 or ext. 52249 in the following circumstances:
1. In any after-hours emergency involving the health or well-being of a resident of Graduate
House, the Security Officer should be called immediately. In cases of serious illness, death,
fire or other life threatening situations, emergency services should always be contacted on 000
(dial 0 for an outside line first) or on 112 from a mobile phone prior to contacting a Security
2. In situations where a resident feels at risk, danger or intimidated the Security Officer should be
3. In situations where there is a suspected intruder in Graduate House or an attempt to enter
Graduate House illegally the Security Officer should be called.
4. If there is a serious malfunction of any piece of equipment or facility of Graduate House the
Security Officer should be called.
5. If a resident is locked out of their room after hours (after 11.00pm) the Security Officer should
be called.
6. If a resident has witnessed an act of vandalism and/or theft the Security Officer should be
Security officers should not enter residents’ rooms unless invited to by the person occupying that
room, or that person’s legal agent, unless the occupant is in need of immediate attention.
Security officers should not be asked to disturb a resident of Graduate House after hours unless
there is a suspected emergency situation involving that person or their room and/or its facilities.
Vehicle Parking at Graduate House
Pay parking is available on-campus and Resident-only designated parking is available in two
locations for Graduate House. These spaces are limited, not reserved or guaranteed. Spaces are
allocated on a first-come first-serve basis to enrolled students who have applied for and received
a valid permit issued by the ANU Transport Office. Residents are strongly encouraged to apply
as soon as possible for a permit as the Transport Office maintains a waiting list of applicants. As
permits sell quickly, residents need to consider their personal arrangements if they arrive at the
House with a car and are unsuccessful with their application or are placed on a waiting list for a
campus parking permit.
Residents may also request a temporary parking permit for themselves or a guest from House
Reception for a maximum period of 10 days. These permits may be issued more than once but
only for a maximum period of 10 days each time. Temporary permits allow the permit holder to
park in the Resident-only designated parking areas for Graduate House, dependent on
All permits must be prominently displayed on the inner side of your car windscreen. Residents
must return their parking permits to the ANU Transport Office upon departure from the
University. Residents who are found lending, selling or giving their parking permit to anyone
may incur a fine.
For more information on obtaining an ANU parking permit please see:
http://transport.anu.edu.au/index.php?pid=102. Residents may also make contact with Parking
Administration at the Innovations Building or by dialling 6125 0179 or ext. 50179.
Roads within the University are classified as public roads for the purpose of the ACT Motor
Traffic Act and the University Parking and Traffic Statute. Traffic and parking regulations are
enforced by the University’s Traffic Officers and the Australian Federal Police. Along these
lines, Australian law requires cyclists to wear helmets.
Vehicle Security
The House advises all residents with vehicles that theft in the University car parks is a reality.
The University community encourages all car owners to protect themselves against theft by
having a security system installed and/or by using a steering wheel lock at all times when the
vehicle is unattended. Residents are also encouraged to remove all articles of value from their
cars when parked. The onus is on vehicle owners to ensure that their cars are not easy targets.
Programmed Painting Maintenance
Graduate House conducts painting maintenance services on an annual basis for common areas
and resident rooms as deemed necessary by Graduate House management. The Administration
Manager will provide a schedule of rooms to be painted to residents one week in advance by mail
and/or email.
Programmed Pest Control
Pest control services are carried out every six months over a half day period in all resident rooms
and common areas. The Administration Manager will provide a schedule to residents of when
rooms are to be serviced one week in advance by mail and/or email.
Fire Blanket Inspection
The ANU Facilities & Services and/or their contractors conduct checks on the fire blankets that
are installed in all resident kitchens. This routine check is conducted on a bi-annual basis and
takes no more than 5-10 minutes to complete. The Administration Manager will provide a
schedule to residents of when rooms are to be serviced one week in advance by mail and/or
It is essential that residents be aware of the rules, regulations and conditions that govern the
agreement that is entered into by you when accepting residency at Graduate House. This
handbook contains much of that information. For further assistance, please ask the
Administration Manager.
If you are 18 and over, the House makes an agreement with you, not your parents or guardians.
All financial transactions and correspondence will be conducted with you only.
Graduate House Alcohol Policy
The House encourages a responsible attitude towards the use of alcohol as outlined in the Liquor
in ANU Halls of Residence policy http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/1598. This policy is intended to
allow residents and guests at the House to live and socialise happily in-house, respecting the
rights of other residents. The objective of this policy is to enable those residents (and guests)
who so wish, the opportunity of enjoying alcohol responsibly and in moderation, while respecting
those residents who choose not to have alcohol as part of their lifestyle.
Each resident (and guest) has a duty of care that extends to his or her fellow House residents and
guests in all situations including events and functions where alcohol is made available. There is
an expectation that when residents and guests consume alcohol, they do so sensibly and with
consideration for others.
The Graduate Common Room (Social) Committee and other groups wishing to serve alcohol at
Graduate House during a function must fill in and return to Facilities & Services "Application to
hold a function on the ANU Campus" form which can be found at:
This Policy incorporates the Orders, if any, to be made by the Master under the Liquor (Halls of
Residence and University Union) Statute.
It is illegal for those under 18 years of age to purchase or consume alcohol in
Graduate House and its gardens.
Within the University, the sale, supply, consumption and advertising of liquor is regulated by the
Liquor Statute 2007, as amended. Residents should be aware that:
Liquor may only be sold or supplied at the House to a resident or guest who is 18 years or
over. A person under 18 years of age must not purchase, be served or supplied with, or
consume liquor in the House.
If there are reasonable grounds for believing that a resident or guest is intoxicated, liquor
must not be sold or served to that resident or guest. Reasonable grounds for believing
(regardless of the actual belief of the bar assistant) that an individual is intoxicated are if the
person’s speech, balance, coordination or behaviour is seriously affected by the consumption
of liquor.
Liquor purchased outside the House may be consumed in a resident's room or with a meal in
the Kitchen/Common Room, Brindabella Room or Barbeque Area. Those areas must be
clear of alcohol by 12 midnight in order to minimise disturbance to residents in nearby
rooms. Liquor must not be consumed in any public area of the House between 12 midnight
and 12 Midday, unless the Administration Manager gives prior written approval.
Functions and events where liquor is consumed must not be advertised without the written
approval of the Administration Manager (where the advertising occurs within House
premises) and the Director, Facilities and Services (where the advertising occurs in other
parts of the University), and must not promote or encourage consumption of liquor as the
primary purpose of a function or an event.
Non-alcoholic drinks must be available at all functions and events where liquor is served.
No resident may use a home brewing kit or make any form of alcoholic beverage on House
Binge and excessive alcohol consumption is not allowed in an ANU Hall of Residence. Examples
include consumption of slabs or casks of wine, and hard spirits.
The consumption, use, possession or selling of drugs that are prohibited by Australian Capital
Territory or Commonwealth law are not permitted.
Alcohol and Other Substance Abuse
Residents are required to be aware of, and abide by, the legislation regulating liquor on the
University’s campus.
The Halls of Residence do not tolerate the possession or consumption of illegal drugs within the
House, its grounds, or the grounds of the University. A Resident who breaches this policy may
have his/her Occupancy Agreement terminated immediately. Whether the Occupancy Agreement
is terminated is at the discretion of the Master of the House, acting reasonably in the
Residents who have a recognised problem with the consumption of alcohol will be encouraged by
House management to seek professional counselling and advice. The House will be responsive to
the needs of residents with substance related problems through appropriate support and referral
mechanisms. The House will treat such residents with empathy and support, however
inappropriate behaviour caused by the over-consumption of alcohol or any other drug in the
House will be dealt with in accordance with the disciplinary provisions contained in the
Occupancy Agreement and the House Handbook.
Should any resident self-refer, seeking assistance to overcome addiction to an illegal substance or
if a resident is having problems with dependence to prescribed drugs (sleeping tablets etc.), the
House will take all reasonable action within the law to provide support during this process.
Residents and staff at Graduate House are proud of their living and working environment.
Should vandalism occur to the building or any of its property, offenders may be subject to
Graduate House and University rules and statues and ACT law.
Successful living at Graduate House is dependent upon all residents showing respect, common
sense and consideration for others. All residents are expected to keep noise levels to a minimum
at all times. Those creating any disturbance at any time in any way will be cautioned. If repeated
in any way, the House reserves the right to ask them to vacate and leave the premises.
Equal Opportunity for Students
The Australian National University has an express commitment to equal opportunity in education
for students and prospective students. The ANU Equal Opportunity Policy is accessible on the
ANU Equity policy web site: https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_001227 and
includes the commitment of ANU to promote inclusive study environments that value the
diversity of backgrounds and perspectives of the University community for the purposes of:
 Improving access and participation of students from equity groups; and
 Eliminating discrimination on the grounds of sex; pregnancy; marital status; family
responsibility; race, colour, ethnic or ethno-religious background, descent or national
identity; sexuality; age; trans sexuality; disability; union affiliation, political conviction
or religious belief.
Equity Policies
There are several equity policies located on the ANU Equity policy web site to assist students
with their specific needs or responsibilities. These policies are:
 Breastfeeding
 Disability
 Prevention of Discrimination and harassment and bullying
 Assessment Arrangements for Students from Language Backgrounds Other Than English
 Disclosure of Information by Students with a Disability or Illness
 Work, Study and Carer Responsibilities
 Children on Campus
Residents may contact the staff of the University’s Student Equity Unit for any information or
assistance regarding a problem or complaint relating to discrimination or harassment issues on
the following numbers: http://www.anu.edu.au/equity/EQUITY%20FINAL/_contacts.htm.
Prevention of Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying
Every resident has the right to a safe, quiet and harassment free-living environment. It is
expected that residents and staff will display reasonable and respectful behaviour to others at all
times. Abusive behaviour includes physical, aggressive, psychological, sexual and racial
harassment, intimidation or bullying of any kind and will not be tolerated.
The ANU, including its Halls of Residence, will not tolerate discrimination, harassment and
bullying behaviour under any circumstances and will take action against any staff member or
student who is found to have breached this policy. The University’s Procedure for Prevention of
discrimination, harassment and bullying may be found at
https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_000623 and explains that:
Bullying is repeated unreasonable and inappropriate behaviour in the workplace or education
environment which comprises behaviour that intimidates, offends, degrades, insults or humiliates
an employee or student. This can be physical or psychological behaviour.
Discrimination can occur when someone, or a group of people, is treated less favourably than
another person or group because of a specified attribute such as their race, colour, national or
ethnic origin; sex, pregnancy, breastfeeding; relationship status; carer status; age; tran sexuality;
disability; sexuality; union affiliation; religious or political conviction or any other characteristic
Harassment can occur when someone is made to feel intimidated, insulted or humiliated because
of their race, colour, national or ethnic origin; sex including sexual harassment; disability;
sexuality; or any characteristic specified under human rights legislation. It can also happen if
someone is working in a 'hostile' - or intimidating - environment. The behaviours can be overt or
subtle, verbal, non-verbal or physical.
Further information and explanations on discrimination, harassment, including sexual
harassment, and bullying is available at the ANU Equity policy web site. In addition, training
programs can be provided on equity policies including the prevention of discrimination and
harassment. Refer to the ANU Student Equity web site for more details at:
Complaints of discrimination, harassment and bullying can be made using the Student Complaint
Resolution policy and procedures at:
Residents are encouraged to come forward with a complaint in the knowledge that a responsible
officer will take prompt and effective action to resolve it. The responsible officers at Graduate
House are the Master of the House, Operations Manager of University House & Graduate House
and the Administration Manager. Complaints are treated seriously, expeditiously and sensitively,
with due regard to procedural fairness and confidentiality.
Residents may also seek advice from:
 The ANU Students Association (ANUSA)
 The Postgraduate and Research Students Association (PARSA)
 The Dean of Students who can assist with a problem or complaint relating to
discrimination or harassment issues. Phone extension 54184 or visit their website:
Applicable University Legislative Instruments (as amended)
Halls of Residence Statute 2005 http://www.anu.edu.au/cabs/statutes/hallsresidencestatute.pdf
Halls of Residence Rules 2005 http://www.anu.edu.au/cabs/rules/hallsresidrules.pdf
Discipline Statute 2005 http://www.anu.edu.au/cabs/statutes/disciplinestatute.pdf
Discipline Rules 2011 http://www.anu.edu.au/cabs/rules/DisciplineRules.pdf
As residents of the ACT, residents of an ANU Hall of Residence are subject to the applicable
laws of the Commonwealth of Australia and the Australian Capital Territory.
The provisions contained in the Occupancy Agreement and House Handbook apply to all House
Authorised Office-bearers for the purposes of discipline in the House include the Master of the
House, Operations Manager and the Administration Manager.
Discipline matters that might arise in the House may be of two kinds: those that invoke the
misconduct provisions under the University’s Discipline Rules and those that are of a more minor
nature and affect the living environment within the House. Behaviour requiring disciplinary
action (including breach of a term or condition of the Occupancy Agreement, or a breach of a
Statute, Rule, Order, policy or procedure of the University) will be dealt with by the Master under
one of two processes, depending on the nature of the behaviour:
Action via internal procedures
By Rule 4.1 of the Halls of Residence Rules (No. 2) 2005 (‘the Rules’) the University’s Council
has vested responsibility in the Master of the House for the good management and leadership of
the House, for discipline in the House and for the well-being of its residents. This is subject only
to the direction of the Vice-Chancellor or his or her nominee.
If behaviour of a resident who is also a student of the University is not of a level sufficient to
constitute misconduct under the Discipline Rules (i.e. the behaviour is minor and is limited to the
living environment within the House) or the resident is not a student of the University, then the
disciplinary matter will be considered and a finding made by the Master of the House. By virtue
of these discipline procedures and in accordance with provisions in the Occupancy Agreement,
the Master of the House may take any action considered necessary in the circumstances, and it
may include immediate termination of residency, removal from the House, probation, fine up to
$100, demand for repayment of costs incurred through damage, imposition of community service
or request for apology. The Master of the House will endeavour to provide the resident with a
decision in writing within three (3) working days of the behaviour being advised to the Master of
the House.
Except in cases where the decision of the Master of the House has resulted in exclusion of a
resident, a resident may, if he/she is not willing to accept the decision of the Master, within seven
(7) days of receiving the written decision from the Master, seek a review of the decision. A
review must be sought in writing. An intra-House panel comprising of nominated persons and a
resident of the House (or equivalent roles where applicable), will be convened within three (3)
working days to conduct a review.
The panel will consider the facts of the matter that led to disciplinary consideration and the
resident penalised may present submissions to the panel. The panel can interview witnesses but
cannot compel their attendance to do so. Having considered the material before it, the panel will
make a written report to the Master of the House giving its view on the appropriateness of the
findings of the Master. This report will set out the material considered, the reasoning given and
comment upon the appropriateness of the penalty that was imposed by the Master of the House.
The Master will consider the report of the panel and determine whether to uphold his/her original
decision or to vary it.
Consistent with the Halls of Residence Rules making the responsibility of the Master of the
House subject to the direction of the Vice-Chancellor or his or her nominee, in cases where a
resident has sought a review of the decision of the Master, the final decision of the Master along
with the written report from the panel will be provided by the Master to the Vice-Chancellor or
his or her nominee as soon as practicable after any final decision is made by the Master. Having
considered the decision and the report of the panel, the Vice-Chancellor or his or her nominee
may direct the Master to make a different decision if the Vice-Chancellor or nominee does not
consider the penalty imposed is appropriate in all the circumstances. The decision of the ViceChancellor or nominee will be final and will be communicated in writing to the resident.
Where the original decision or reconsidered decision of the Master of the House has resulted in
exclusion of the resident, the Master will immediately notify the matter to the Vice-Chancellor or
nominee. The resident will have the right to make any request for review regarding exclusion
from the House directly to the Vice-Chancellor or his or her nominee (unless the exclusion is on
the basis of non-payment of rent in which case no internal avenue of review is available). The
decision of the Vice-Chancellor or nominee having reviewed the matter will be final and will be
communicated to the resident in writing.
Disciplinary findings under these procedures and the University’s Discipline Rules 2007 (as
amended) will be taken into account when considering re-admission of the resident to the House
or to another Hall administered by the University.
Action under the Discipline Rules
If behaviour of a resident who is also a student of the University is of a level sufficient to
constitute misconduct within the meaning of Rule 3.1 of the Discipline Rules 2007 (as amended),
the Master of the House, as prescribed authority for the purposes of the Discipline Rules, will
assess the nature of the behaviour and may take immediate action in accordance with Rule 6. The
Master will hold an inquiry and make a finding in accordance with the procedures set out in the
Discipline Rules. If the resident wishes, the resident can appeal the decision of the Master of the
House to the Appeals Committee as provided in Rule 19.1 of the Discipline Rules.
On arrival at Graduate House each new resident will be provided with a Room
Inventory/Condition Report. Residents are asked to confirm that all of the items listed are in the
room and the condition of the room (existing damage or marks, floor coverings, walls, window
fixtures etc.) and that each item (table, chair, fridge etc.) provided by Graduate House matches
that noted on the report. Residents will be required to return the report to Reception. If anything
listed is not in your room, or you are concerned about the condition of any item, please notify
Reception on ext. 51999 within one business day of your arrival as this inventory will be placed
on file and used as a basis for future room inspections and when you leave.
If you do not require a room item, it is important that you notify the Administration Assistant.
The Administration Assistant will arrange for the removal of the item from your room. Please do
not remove any item from the room without permission. The removal of room items at any time
is not allowed as all items in the rooms are the property of Graduate House and are not to be
taken away for any reason.
The House is to be maintained at an appropriate level of cleanliness, including common areas and
the rooms of residents. This is required for a number of reasons, including health issues, fire
safety and to assist all residents and staff in the general enjoyment of the facilities provided.
Residents are responsible for ensuring that their rooms and shared common areas (such as
kitchens) are left in an appropriate condition at all times. The House is responsible for routine
cleaning of all common areas of the House.
Residents are provided with a Schedule of Cleaning by Graduate House and are responsible for
keeping their rooms clean and tidy. Room inspections will be carried out periodically (every 6
months) to ensure the condition and cleanliness of the room is maintained, fair wear and tear
excepted. The Administration Manager will provide a schedule of inspections one week in
advance by mail and/or email. Residents who receive a notice requiring them to again clean their
room (or specific areas of the room) after an inspection but fail to do so to a standard reasonably
expected by Graduate House within the timeframe specified in the notice, will be responsible for
the payment of any fees and charges incurred by the Graduate House for having the room cleaned
by a third party.
The Room Inventory provided to all residents on arrival at Graduate House and returned for
placement on file will be used as a basis for room inspections.
In case of spillages and/or broken glass (window) please contact the Administration Assistant or
the Administration Manager as soon as possible.
Graduate House provides cleaning products for use within resident rooms. These are colour
coded and labelled for easy use and supplied to all residents at a minimal cost.
Vacuum cleaners are available at Reception and after hours with the assistance of a Duty
Resident. Residents will need to provide their Student ID card in order to checkout a vacuum
Fridges & Cook top/Oven
A small fridge and cook top/oven is located in each resident room. It is the responsibility of each
resident to ensure that they are kept clean at all times along with kitchen sinks and workbenches
which must be wiped clean and dry after each use. Freezers must be defrosted on a regular basis
in accordance with the Schedule of Cleaning.
Bathroom Facilities
Each resident room contains a bathroom with shower, sink, cupboard and toilet. It is the
responsibility of each resident to ensure that they are kept clean at all times with the bathroom
shower recess and screens, walls, tiles, ceiling, windowsill and basin wiped dry and free of all
soap residue or mould.
Changing Rooms
For billing and emergency evacuation purposes, residents cannot change rooms without
permission of the Administration Manager.
Decorating Your Room
Many residents like to personalise their room. Please note that the use of staples, pins, hooks or
nails etc. on the walls or furniture of Graduate House property is not permitted. Sticky adhesive
materials are also not to be used. Blue Tac unfortunately is not permitted as it leaves an oily
residue and peels the paintwork. Only UHU Yellow Tac or White Tac should be used to affix
posters, notices, and photographs and is available for purchase at stationery stores and post
offices. Special hooks are provided at Reception free of charge for residents wishing to hang
items in their rooms.
Residents should be aware that they may be charged for any damage over and above reasonable
wear and tear. Please ensure all damage is reported to Reception staff at the earliest opportunity.
Electrical Items
The Australian National University requires all ‘high risk’ electrical appliances in House,
including those owned by residents, to be tested for safety and tagged. Where appliances do not
meet safety requirements they must be removed from the House.
All electrical appliances in Australia are 240 volts. The House may arrange to have your
appliances tested. You must make your appliances available for this purpose. Personal computers
and some other electronic items are not included in the testing regime.
Residents are provided with heaters in their rooms. Residents are not permitted to use bar heaters
in their rooms due to the extreme fire hazard they pose. If necessary, residents may use fan
heaters which have built-in devices that prevent the heater from overheating.
For reasons of fire safety and electrical loading limitations you are not permitted to have in your
 Air-conditioning units
 Washing machines or dryers (these are provide for residents in the House laundry rooms)
 Electric blankets
 Irons (these are provided for residents in the House laundry rooms)
 Camping style cookers with gas cylinders
When using electrical equipment:
 Check the safety tag; ensure that the next test/retest date recorded has not been passed.
 Make sure mains cords are well-connected and in good condition.
 Make sure extension cords are uncoiled and protected from undue wear, tear and exposure.
 Use equipment only for its intended purpose.
Ensure electrical equipment is in good condition.
Use power-boards only with overload protection; double adaptors may not be used.
Do not position equipment where it will pose a hazard.
Unplug equipment before cleaning it.
Turn items OFF when not required. It is a safer practice to do so and the impact on the
environment can be reduced considerable if power consumption is cut.
Urgent Access to a Resident’s Room without notice
Various emergencies may arise such as fire, flooding etc. where access to a resident’s room by a
staff member will be required without notification. On entering a resident’s room, in the absence
of the resident, the staff member accessing the room will leave a card noting the date, time,
person/s and reason why the room was entered.
Residents are required to practice emergency evacuation procedures of the House at fire drills,
held twice yearly. An Emergency Evacuation/Inventory plaque is displayed on the back of the
room door reminding residents that they should:
 Leave their rooms immediately if there is a fire;
 Knock on their neighbours doors as they leave;
 Use the nearest exit to evacuate the building – avoiding the lift;
 Gather on the lawn on the University House side of the building; and
 Follow the instructions given to them by fire wardens (those wearing red safety helmets).
Residents should ensure they are familiar with emergency evacuation procedures: it may help
save your life if you know what to do when the siren sounds.
The fire safety design of Graduate House is such that does not allow for false alarms. Screen
doors in resident rooms are designed to prevent the spread of smoke and must remain closed at all
times. Should a fire alarm sound in Graduate House, it is either a fire drill or a real fire. A fine of
$50.00 will be imposed by the House on residents that choose not to evacuate their room or the
building after being instructed to do so.
It is a criminal offence to interfere with any of the fire equipment in the House. This includes the
smoke detector and fire blanket in your room. Interfering with the fire equipment can result in
substantial fines and legal penalties. Residents may be held liable for any cost associated with
the negligent triggering of the fire alarms.
The use of candles and incense in bedrooms is prohibited.
Smoking is prohibited in all offices, accommodation areas and rooms of Graduate House.
The Australian National University maintains a smoke-free environment. In accordance with the
https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_000573, residents must remain at least 10
metres away from any entranceway, doorway, window or ventilation intake of the building. This
includes your room and applies to all University staff, contractors, students, and visitors.
Management asks that all smokers please be mindful of other residents who may have adverse
side effects to smoke - such as allergies, asthma and other respiratory illness; noting that smoking
both inside and/or outside of your room allows smoke to travel into other areas of the building.
Cigarette butts are not biodegradable; please dispose of them responsibly. Remember the risk of
fire in dry vegetation and do not throw any smoking materials on the ground. Ashtrays have been
provided at all entrances to the House. These are not invitations to stand at the entrances while
smoking – you are asked to smoke at least 12 paces away from the building, and in all cases to
ensure that no smoke makes its way into the building area.
If a resident smokes within Graduate House, their Occupancy Agreement will be promptly
terminated. There will be no second chance. A resident who is not prepared to follow the
Graduate House non-smoking rules should not try to sneak around them by smoking
surreptitiously. This is unbecoming and unfair to other residents. Rather, such residents should
find alternative accommodation in Canberra. No penalty will apply to the early termination of an
Occupancy Agreement in these circumstances.
Residents are held responsible for their guests’ behaviour, though we recognise that it can
sometimes be difficult for a resident to deal with a guest who refuses to follow the Graduate
House no smoking rules. In such cases the resident must report the guest’s behaviour
immediately to Graduate House Administration or ANU Security who will deal with the guest.
There are many services available for people who wish to quit smoking located at
http://www.actcancer.org/quit-smoking/wanting-to-quit.aspx. Residents are welcome to contact a
member of House Administration if we can assist you in this difficult but life-saving venture.
Fire generated from cooking has the potential to set off House fire alarms, which cause the arrival
of the fire brigade. Residents are liable for any costs associated with the accidental or negligent
triggering of the fire alarms.
Cooking in a confined space such as your room traps smells. Please be sure to allow air-flow
through your room from time to time by opening your window.
To avoid attracting rodents, insects and other pests, please ensure that food is stored in sealed
metal or plastic containers – boxes, paper or plastic bags do not deter rodents and insects
Student accommodation provided at Graduate House is for single occupancy only, with the
exception of the nine double rooms.
With respect to the resident rooms, children under the age of 18 years are not permitted to stay at
Graduate House. The House recognizes that there may be occasional overnight guests sharing
the resident’s room. For reasons of safety (fire, illness etc) residents are requested to advise
Reception in advance of any guest and to sign in their guest in the Guest Book located at
Reception. For last minute overnight stays, the Reception desk staff must be informed prior to
4.00 pm that evening (Monday – Friday), of the guest’s name. After 4.00pm and during
weekends, residents should advise the Duty Resident on duty.
Local guests (including students of The ANU) may stay overnight while interstate guests may
stay up to 2 weeks and overseas guests may stay up to 6 weeks. Residents are charged for guests
as per the Graduate House Schedule of Fees. For Occupational Health & Safety and fire safety
reasons, we do not recommend residents have more than 1-2 guests staying in their room. In the
instance of a resident having more than one guest per stay, charges will be applied per guest.
In addition to temporary parking, guests may use a temporary swipe card to access the building
and a room key for the resident’s room they are staying in. Roll away beds are also available free
of charge. Linen is not provided. Residents are responsible for the return of all borrowed items.
Lost items will incur a charge.
Access to guests to Graduate House is strictly by resident invitation only. Under no
circumstances are residents to allow access for a non-resident for unannounced visits. Guests are
to contact residents via the intercom telephones located at the main entrance at the front of the
building or in the foyer. Residents must personally collect their guests from this entrance.
Residents found allowing access to non-residents, not supervising their guests or failing to advise
of any overnight guest’s stay will be asked to show cause to the Operations Manager and Master
of the House as to why they should not be given notice to vacate Graduate House.
Non-residents residing in the House without resident supervision are considered to be
trespassing. ANU Security will be called in to assist with those who refuse to leave the premises
or to return keys and swipe cards when asked to do so by a member of management.
Upon taking up residency at Graduate House, residents are issued with the following keys (two of
each in the case of double rooms):
1 x mailbox key, 1 x room key, 1 x sliding door key (for ground level rooms) and 1 x temporary
access swipe card (where necessary).
Due to fire safety hazards we are unfortunately unable to provide keys to the deadbolts locks on
the sliding doors on the ground floor. However, these deadbolts can be easily locked and
unlocked manually from the inside.
Residents must return their keys when vacating at the expiry of the residential period. Temporary
access swipe cards must be returned when Student ID cards become activated for access to
Graduate House (shortly after arrival) or upon departure (for partners in double rooms).
Residents may only be relieved of their obligations as stated in their Occupancy Agreement with
the permission of the Administration Manager.
Residents may vacate their room if they have submitted their thesis or they are at the end of their
studies provided they submit a Termination of Occupancy Agreement form (available at
Reception) to the Administration Manager four weeks prior to their departure. If less than four
weeks written notice is given to end the Agreement before the scheduled termination date, the
resident will remain liable to pay rent until the House locates another occupant that is acceptable
to occupy their room up to a maximum of four weeks.
Residents are to ensure that all furniture is in their room when they leave Graduate House.
Resident rooms will be checked on the morning of departure. If your room is left in an
unsatisfactory state or there are any missing or damaged items, charges will be placed against
your Refundable Deposit as per the Graduate House Schedule of Fees (NB: not all charges may
be listed).
All keys and temporary swipe cards distributed upon arrival must be returned to Reception upon
departure. Charges apply for lost keys and cards.
Graduate House endeavours to refund the deposit to the resident upon departure, however during
peak check-out periods deposits may be refunded within four (4) to six (6) weeks from the time
of departure.
It is your responsibility to make arrangements for redirection of your mail when you leave. The
House will redirect mail for up to a period of one month within Australia only.
Should a double room couple separate during the period of their Occupancy Agreement, they will
no longer be entitled to double room occupancy. In this instance, double room residents must
notify Graduate House of any change in their relationship status. The student resident may also
apply to be transferred to a single room.
Expulsion from the House
Any resident whose Occupancy Agreement is terminated because of a finding of a breach of a
House rule will forfeit their Refundable Deposit.
Short Absences and Subletting
Residents planning to be away from Graduate House for more than seven days are asked to notify
Reception in the event of an emergency.
Resident postgraduates required to leave the House to conduct fieldwork may keep their rooms
for the duration of their absence. If the period of absence is longer than 28 nights and less than 6
months, residents can chose to leave their belongings in their room and be charged rent for the
duration of their absence or to remove their belongings, sublet their room with the permission of
the Administration Manager and not be charged rent for the duration. The terms on which this
concession is available are:
The application must be made in writing by the resident no less than four weeks before
the resident departs for fieldwork. Rent may be charged in lieu of notice;
Graduate House management is not obliged to grant this concession or to provide a
proposed occupant to sublet;
Any person proposed to sublet by the current resident must be a full-time Postgraduate or
Research student at The ANU;
In the event that a proposed person is not found for the sublet, the current resident must
continue payment of rent or vacate the room with the understanding that they may be
placed on the House waiting list for placement at a later stage.
The application must include:
 The proposed date the current resident wishes to vacate the room for fieldwork;
 The date the current resident will return from fieldwork; and,
 A letter from the current resident’s Supervisor, Dean or Director authorizing the
resident’s absence (confirming the fieldwork status).
Absence from the House for any purpose other than fieldwork is normally regarded as a private
matter. Special circumstances may be raised with the Master through the Administration
Storage Facilities
Graduate House has limited storage facilities. If a resident is away on approved fieldwork, items
may be stored for the duration. For prolonged absences, other alternatives will need to be
University Resources
The resources of the University are for you; please use them. If you have a problem, irrespective
of whatever it is, someone will have had it before, and the answer will be out there somewhere.
Resources include the Academic Skills and Learning Centre, the Postgraduate and Research
Students Association (PARSA), the Equity and Diversity Unit, the Dean of Students and the
Dean of the Graduate School.
Common Room
The House provides a resident Common Room that has a piano, table tennis table, pool table, a
microwave as well as local and FOXTEL cable TV. Residents are asked to keep this room tidy
and in order. Newspapers, magazines, books, games equipment and other items supplied for
general use are not to be removed from the Common Room.
Brindabella Room
Although private parties and functions may not be held in the Common Room, this meeting room
is available to all Graduate House residents and may also be used, along with the kitchen
adjoining the Common Room, for private parties and functions. A small amount of crockery and
silverware are available and must be thoroughly cleaned by residents using the room after use.
Bookings for this room must be made in advance by noting the date and time in the diary
available at Reception.
TV Room
Cable TV in the TV room is available to all Graduate House residents. Residents and their guests
are asked to keep the area neat and tidy and to ensure, for the comfort of residents using adjacent
areas that the volume of the TV is kept at a reasonable level. In the interests of hygiene and the
general amenity of the TV room it must not be used as sleeping quarters.
Music Room
The Music room is available for use by residents of both Graduate House and University House
between the hours of 9.00am and 10.00pm daily. Bookings for this room must be made in
advance by noting the date and time in the diary available at Reception. There is an upright piano
in the music room and residents are asked to close the piano after use.
With the exception of material posted by the House’s administrative staff, all notices must be
approved by the Administration Manager. Notices must only be placed on the notice boards
provided. No notices are to be placed on any glass doors of the House and no commercial or
electoral material whatsoever is to be distributed in the House (apart from biographies etc.
associated with the Student Representative elections).
Through the integration of University House and Graduate House, Graduate House residents have
access to a number of University House facilities.
The Library (situated on the ground floor between the administration area and the Terrace and
Common Rooms) has an extensive range of books, magazines and newspapers, for use by
Function Rooms
University House has a number of Function and Seminar Rooms. These are used for a variety of
activities including guest lectures, symposia, seminars, performances and House Dinners. To
book a function room please contact the Functions Office on 6125 5270 or ext. 55270.
Use and access to designated University House student areas (Garden and South Wings), such as
the kitchens or common rooms, is strictly at the invitation of a University House student resident.
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF