New tenancy arrangements on your community

New tenancy arrangements on your community
New tenancy arrangements
on your community
Remote Indigenous Communities
This fact sheet explains the new housing agreement between the Council and the Department
of Housing and Public Works.
What has changed?
The department has taken over the direct management of your house as your new landlord.
Who owns the house?
Council still owns the house.
What do the 40 Year Lease arrangements mean for the
The department will build more houses and reduce overcrowding
The department will collect rent payments and use the money to fix and upgrade houses
The department will use rent payments to pay Land Lease payments and Rate payments
to Councils
Councils can use this money to spend on community projects, and
Jobs and training opportunities will be created for people on the community through
apprenticeships and traineeships.
What does this mean for you as a tenant?
The department will now deliver:
 Tenancy Management (including applications for housing assistance and allocations), and
 Property Management (repairs and maintenance).
The department will sign a tenancy agreement with current legal tenants. This is a different
agreement then the one you had with the Council as it is an agreement between you and the
department. Tenants will need to sign a State Tenancy Agreement (Form18c)
Housing Services
Department of Housing and Public Works
Page 2 of 2
What do current tenants need to do?
The department will visit your house to discuss with you your rights and responsibilities under
the State Tenancy Agreement. During this visit you will be asked to sign the following
Notice of Intention to Leave - this does not mean you need to vacate. It is only a form to
end your tenancy agreement with the Council so that a new tenancy agreement can be
signed between you and the department, and
The new State Tenancy Agreement – the new agreement between you and the
What does the State Tenancy Agreement mean for
The State Tenancy Agreement has most of the same tenancy conditions as the tenancy
agreement you have now. The major differences are:
Tenants will need to tell the department when people move in or out, or if someone’s
income changes
You must live in the house. If you need to be away from your house for reasons such as
holidays, health or cultural importance, you must tell the department. (For more information
please see Being absent from your home fact sheet)
You must keep the electricity connected to the house at all times
You must not rent the house to anybody else, and
You may no longer be eligible for Rent Assistance payments from Centrelink.
Will the rent change?
Rent will continue to be calculated at up to 25% of assessable household income or the
market rent for the property, whichever is the lower amount.
More information
Please talk to Housing staff for further information about the new tenancy arrangements on
your community.
Factsheet – New tenancy arrangements on your community
Remote Indigenous Communities
December 2012
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF