This Section Covers
Commercial Motor Vehicles
Commercial Driver License Classes, Endorsements & Restrictions
Commercial Driver License Requirements
Commercial Driver License Tests
Additional Requirements For Bus Drivers
Driver Disqualifications
Other CDL Rules
1.1 - Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)
You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate any of the following CMVs:
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating
(GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.
A vehicle designed to transport 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver) or a vehicle
defined as a bus under Article 19-A, Section 509-a of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL).
Any size vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards or is carrying material listed as a select
agent or toxin in 42 CFR part 73. Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland
Security require a background check and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.
Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
CDL requirement:
A vehicle owned and controlled by a farmer that has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs and is
used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm products within 150 miles of the farm
A vehicle primarily designed for purposes other than the transportation of persons or property
(commonly referred to as Special Purpose Commercial) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less or,
if the GVWR is more than 26,000 lbs, not able to be operated at normal highway speeds
Fire and police vehicles engaged in emergency operations in New York State
Military vehicles or combination of vehicles operated by members of the armed forces
Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes.
1.2 - Commercial Driver License Classes, Endorsements & Restrictions
Commercial driver license classes, endorsements and restrictions are based on the type of CMV
driven. The type of CMV is determined by the vehicle manufacturer's GVWR (for single vehicles) or
GCWR (for combination vehicles), construction or use. (Under the NYS VTL, CMV weight
classifications are based on the greater of the following weights: manufacturer's GVWR or GCWR,
registration weight, or actual weight of the vehicle(s) and load.) CDL classes, endorsements and
restrictions, therefore, correspond to vehicle weight, construction or use, as shown in Figure 1.1 on
page 1-2.
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Figure 1.1
Page 1-2
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
1.3 – Commercial Driver License Requirements
There is a federal requirement that each state have minimum standards for the licensing of
commercial drivers. New York State driver licensing standards comply with the federal Commercial
Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (CMVSA/86) and the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of
1999 (MCSIA/99). To get a NYS CDL you must meet the following standards and requirements:
1.3.1 – Residency Requirement
You must be a resident of New York State to be issued a NYS CDL. A driver holding a CDL
issued by another jurisdiction who moves to New York must apply for a NYS CDL within 30 days
after establishing residency. A new resident may apply to exchange a CDL issued by another
jurisdiction for a NYS CDL (reciprocity). However, to keep a Hazardous Material (HazMat)
endorsement, you must pay the test fee, take and pass the HazMat written knowledge test (a
score of 80% is passing), and pay for and pass a background investigation. (See Section 9,
Hazardous Materials.)
1.3.2 – Age Requirement
Class A – You must be at least 21 years of age.
Class B and C – You must be at least 18 years of age, but if under 21, you can drive a CMV
only for intrastate commerce (within New York State), cannot transport students in a school bus,
and cannot transport hazardous material.
1.3.3 – Language Requirement
You must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to:
converse with other people,
understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language,
answer questions from officials, and
make entries on reports and records
1.3.4 – Medical Requirement
The federal government requires most CMV drivers to have a medical examination in order to
detect physical or mental conditions that may affect their ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.
The examination requirements are found in the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT)
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations under 49 CFR Part 391. The USDOT medical exam
covers 13 areas that directly relate to the ability to drive safely. You must pass the USDOT
medical examination, and receive a medical examiner’s certificate. When completing an
MV-44 application to apply for, amend or renew a NYS CDL, and you certify that you have a
current, valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate you must also present a copy of your certificate
to prove you meet this standard. (There are some exceptions, described in the last bullet in this
section.) The physical examination conducted just for bus drivers who are subject to Article 19-A
of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not meet the requirements of Part 391 of the Federal
Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, unless the federal medical standards, procedures and forms
were used, and you received a “Medical Examiner’s Certificate”.
WHO MAY PERFORM THE MEDICAL EXAM? A licensed "medical examiner" must perform the
USDOT medical exam. The term "medical examiner" includes, but is not limited to, doctors of
medicine (MD), doctors of osteopathy (DO), physician assistants (PA), advanced practice
nurses (APN), and doctors of chiropractic (DC). There are different requirements for who may
perform and sign the medical examination for bus drivers subject to Article 19-A. (This is
explained in Section 10, and applies to all bus drivers, not just drivers of school buses.)
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
HOW DO I FIND A LICENSED MEDICAL EXAMINER? Ask your primary health care provider
if they will perform the USDOT medical exam. If not, you may find a medical examiner in the
yellow pages of your telephone book, or on the Internet by using one of the Internet directories,
under the category "Occupational Health". If your medical examiner does not have a copy of
the USDOT’s Medical Examination Report, one can be downloaded from the USDOT's website
at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safetyprograms/Medical-Report.pdf
WHAT IS A MEDICAL EXAMINER’S CERTIFICATE? The medical examiner’s certificate is
attached to the Medical Examination Report, mentioned above. If you pass the exam, the
medical examiner should complete the certificate and give it to you to show that you passed.
You must present a copy of your certificate when submitting an application for an original,
amended or renewal of a NYS CDL. You must always carry a valid certificate with you when
driving a CMV in interstate commerce.
is normally valid for 24 months. However, your medical examiner may give you a medical
examiner's certificate that expires in less than 24 months in order to monitor a condition, such
as high blood pressure, which the examiner wants to check more often than every two years.
EXCEPTIONS. Federal regulations identify some CMV operations that require a CDL, but not
a medical exam or a medical examiner’s certificate. However, if you want to drive a CMV in
interstate commerce, you must pass the USDOT medical examination and receive a medical
examiner’s certificate. You are exempt from needing a medical examiner’s certificate if you:
are a government employee at any level of government (federal, state, or local, including
school districts) driving government owned or leased CMVs in the course of official duties
(municipal operations).
are an employee of a private business who drives CMVs only for school operations.
(School operation is the use of a school bus, as defined in Section 142 of the NYS Vehicle
& Traffic Law, to transport pupils, children of pupils, teachers and other persons acting in a
supervisory capacity, from home bus stop to school, school to home, or school building to
school building for an academic purpose.)
1.3.5 – Application and Written Testing Requirements
To get a Class A, B, or C CDL for the first time, to upgrade to a higher Class CDL, or to add a “P”
or “S” endorsement to a CDL, you must first obtain a learner permit for the proper class and type
of vehicle you plan to drive. To obtain the learner permit, you must already have a NYS driver
license that is not suspended, revoked or cancelled. You must apply in person at a NYS motor
vehicles office*. Appointments are not needed, however, you should contact the office if you
have any special needs. Allow three hours to complete all of the processing, including test
taking. Plan to arrive no later than three hours before the office’s scheduled closing time. At the
motor vehicles office you will:
Complete an application form (MV-44), in which you must:
provide the address of your NYS residence;
list all the states (including the District of Columbia) in which you were licensed to drive
over the past 10 years;
certify if you comply with the federal requirements for a CDL set forth in 49 CFR Part 391;
present a copy of your medical examiner’s certificate, if you meet the federal requirements.
Show your NYS driver license.
Show your Social Security Card, if NYS DMV has no record of your Social Security Number and
you are asked to show your card.
Page 1-4
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Pay the fees that cover the application, processing the photo document, and testing.
Pass the general knowledge test and any necessary endorsement tests by answering at least
80% of the questions correctly (see section 1.4, below); you are not allowed to bring anything
into the testing room or area except a pencil, and you must present your driver license again
before you can take the test(s).
*Locations and hours of NYS motor vehicles offices may be found in your local telephone
directory, at the NYS DMV web site at www.dmv.ny.gov/offices.htm, or by calling NYS DMV,
weekdays (except state holidays) between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm (Eastern Time) at:
1-212-645-5550 or 1-718-966-6155 if calling from the New York City metropolitan area, from
area codes 212, 347, 646, 718, or 917
1-718-477-4820 if calling from area codes 516, 631, 845, or 914
1-518-486-9786 if calling from all other area codes in New York State
1-518-473-5595 if calling from locations outside of New York State
1.3.6 – Driving With Your Commercial Driver Learner Permit
Your commercial driver learner permit allows you to drive a vehicle of the class and type that
matches the class and any endorsements of your permit, as long as:
a driver holding a CDL of the same or higher class with the proper endorsements accompanies
you at all times;
your permit and the supervising driver’s CDL do not have any restrictions that would prohibit
driving in the practice vehicle; and
you are not transporting any material that requires hazardous material (HazMat) placards or any
quantity of material listed as a selected agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73, even when the supervising
driver’s CDL has a HazMat endorsement or you yourself hold a lower class of CDL with a
HazMat endorsement.
1.3.7 – Skills Testing Requirements
To get your CDL you must pass the skills test in a representative vehicle – one that matches the
class, type and use of the CDL you need. Study sections 11, 12 and 13 in this manual for details
about the CDL skills test, and practice driving with your learner permit as much as possible until
you are confident that you could pass the test. You may schedule your skills test either on-line
at www.dmv.ny.gov or by telephone at 1-518-402-2100. It normally takes several weeks from
the date that you make your appointment to the date of the test, so schedule your test early. You
may also cancel a scheduled skills test on-line or by telephone, but you must cancel your
appointment no less than three full business days prior to your scheduled road test date and time.
If you cancel later than that you will lose the skills test fee, and must pay the skills test fee again
before rescheduling. Additional information for scheduling a skills test can be found on the DMV
website mentioned above.
To pass the skills test you must demonstrate that you can inspect and operate the representative
vehicle safely and competently, with 50 or fewer points deducted. If you pass, you will be
instructed to wait seven days before going to a DMV office to apply for or amend your CDL.
During that waiting period you will remain in permit status. The NYS DMV cannot issue a
temporary CDL at the test site.
During the test, if you have or cause an accident, commit any single traffic violation or dangerous
action, or lose more than 50 points, you will fail the skills test. If you fail a skills test you may
schedule an appointment for the next test date, based on appointment availability. There is no
minimum waiting period before retaking the skills test (except that you may take only one test per
day), but the next appointment date may be several weeks from the date you make it. You must
pay the skills test fee again before you can schedule your next appointment.
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Page 1-5
1.3.8 – Alcohol and Drug Testing Requirements
Under New York State law, any person who operates a motor vehicle in New York is deemed to
have given consent to a chemical test of one or more of the following: breath, blood, urine or
saliva, for the purpose of determining the alcoholic and/or drug content of the blood.
1.4 – Commercial Driver License Tests
To get a CDL, you must pass knowledge and skills tests. The sole purpose of this manual is to
help you pass the tests. This manual is not a substitute for a commercial driver training class or
program. Formal training is the most reliable way to learn the many special skills required for safely
driving a large commercial vehicle and becoming a professional commercial driver. Section 1.4.1,
below, shows the sections of this manual you should study for each particular class of license and
for each endorsement.
1.4.1 – Knowledge Tests
You will have to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what
endorsements you need. All test questions are multiple-choice; you must choose one correct
answer from three choices. The passing score for each commercial driver knowledge test is 80%.
If you fail a knowledge test there is no limit to the number of times you can retake it, however, this
will be at the discretion of the District Director, Office Manager, County Clerk or Office Supervisor.
The General (Core) Knowledge Test is taken by all CDL applicants. For this test, study
Sections 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, and 13 of this manual.
When taking any other CDL knowledge test, all test-takers should study Sections 1, 2, 3,
11, 12, and 13 in addition to the section(s) listed below. The other CDL knowledge tests, and
the additional sections of this manual that you should study to pass each of them, are:
The Combination Vehicles Test, required to drive combination vehicles (Class A CDL); Study
Sections 5 and 6
The Doubles/Triples Test, required to pull double or triple trailers; Study Sections 5, 6, and 7
The Hazardous Materials Test, required to haul hazardous materials or waste in amounts that
require placarding or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
In order to obtain this endorsement, you are also required to pass both a New York State and
a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check; Study Section 9
The Passenger Transport Test, taken by all bus driver applicants; Study Section 4
The School Bus Test, required to drive a school bus with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs or
designed to transport 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver); Study Section 10
The Tank Vehicles Test, required to haul a liquid or liquid gas in a permanently mounted cargo
tank rated at 119 gallons or more or a portable tank rated at 1,000 gallons or more; Study
Sections 6, 8, and 9
The Air Brakes Test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air-overhydraulic brakes; Study Section 5
1.4.2 – Skills Test
If you pass the required knowledge test(s), you can take the CDL skills test. There are three types
of general skills that will be tested: pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic vehicle control, and on-road driving.
You must take the skills test in the class and type of vehicle for which you wish to be licensed. Any
vehicle that has marked or labeled components cannot be used for the pre-trip vehicle inspection test.
Pre-trip Vehicle Inspection. You will be tested to see if you know whether your vehicle is safe to
drive. The pre-trip vehicle inspection must be passed before you can proceed to the basic vehicle
control skills test. You will be asked to do a pre-trip inspection of your vehicle and explain to the
examiner what you would inspect and why. See Section 11 for details.
Page 1-6
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Basic Vehicle Control. You will be tested on your skill to control the vehicle. You will be asked to
move your vehicle forward, backward, and turn it within a defined area. These areas may or may
not be marked with traffic lanes, cones, barriers, or something similar. The examiner will tell you
how each control test is to be done. See Section 12 for details.
On-road Driving Test. You will be tested on your skill to safely drive your vehicle in a variety of
traffic situations. The situations may include left and right turns, intersections, railroad crossings,
curves, up and down grades, single or multi-lane roads, streets, or highways. The examiner will
tell you where to drive. See Section 13 for details.
1.5 – Additional Requirements For Bus Drivers
All bus drivers in New York State must have CDLs, and employers must determine that the drivers
they hire are qualified to drive buses. Furthermore, Article 19-A (Special Requirements For Bus
Drivers) of the NYS VTL sets standards for bus drivers. Under this law, employers of bus drivers must:
Conduct a background investigation of a new driver’s employment history for the past three years.
Obtain driving records from all jurisdictions where the driver worked, lived or had a driver license
or learner permit in the past 3 years.
Tell drivers about the provisions of Article 19-A.
Require that drivers take an initial physical examination and then follow-up exams every two years.
Annually review the driving record of each driver to determine if he/she meets the minimum
requirements to drive a bus.
Annually observe each driver’s defensive driving performance while operating a bus carrying
Give each driver a written or oral examination every two years to test his/her knowledge of the rules
of the road, defensive driving practices and laws regulating bus driving in New York State.
Give each driver a behind-the-wheel driving test every two years.
Subject a driver who fails to provide notification of convictions and accidents to a five working-day
suspension, or, if the conviction is for a misdemeanor or felony, a suspension equivalent to the
number of working days a driver was not in compliance with the reporting requirements, or five
working days, whichever is longer.
Additional Requirements For School Bus Drivers. Article 19-A requires that employers of school bus
drivers request a criminal history check on each driver based on his/her fingerprints. NYS
Education Department (NYSED) regulation further requires that drivers of school buses:
Be at least 21 years of age.
Take and pass a yearly follow-up physical exam.
If a bus driver fails to meet any of the legal or regulatory requirements, the employer must not allow
the driver to operate a bus until requirements are met. The Department of Motor Vehicles also
disqualifies drivers based on their driving record and criminal history.
1.6 – Driver Disqualifications
1.6.1 – General
You may not drive a commercial motor vehicle if you are disqualified for any reason.
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
1.6.2 – Alcohol, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, and Commission of a Felony
It is illegal to operate a CMV if your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .04% or more. If you
operate a CMV, you shall be deemed to have given your consent to alcohol testing.
You will be put out-of-service for 24 hours if you have any detectable amount of alcohol
under .04%.
You will lose your CDL for at least one year for a first offense for:
Driving a CMV if your blood alcohol concentration is .04% or higher.
Driving any vehicle under the influence of alcohol.
Driving any vehicle while under the influence of a controlled substance.
Refusing to undergo blood alcohol testing.
Leaving the scene of an accident without reporting.
Committing a felony involving the use of a vehicle.
Operating a CMV while your CDL is revoked, suspended, or canceled for prior violations, or if
disqualified from operating a CMV, or if convicted for causing a fatality through negligent
operation of a CMV, including, but not limited to crimes of vehicular manslaughter or criminally
negligent homicide.
You will lose your CDL for at least three years if the offense occurs while you are operating a
CMV that is placarded for hazardous materials.
You will lose your CDL for life if convicted a second time for any of the offenses listed above.
You will lose your CDL for life if you use a CMV to commit a felony involving controlled substances.
1.6.3 – Serious Traffic Violations
Serious traffic violations include:
Excessive speeding (15 mph or more above the posted limit)
Reckless driving
Improper or erratic lane changes
Following a vehicle too closely
Traffic offenses committed in a CMV in connection with fatal traffic accidents
Operating a CMV without first obtaining a CDL
Operating a CMV without a CDL in the driver’s possession
Operating a CMV without the proper class of CDL and/or endorsement for the specific vehicle
being operated or for the passengers or type of cargo being transported
You will lose your CDL:
For at least 60 days if you have committed two serious traffic violations within a three-year
period involving a CMV.
For at least 120 days for three serious traffic violations within a three-year period involving a CMV.
Page 1-8
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
1.6.4 – Violation of Out-of-Service Orders
If a federal or state inspector judges your vehicle to be unsafe during an inspection, they will
order it out-of-service. Operation of your vehicle before it is fixed is a violation of an out-ofservice order.
You will lose your CDL:
For at least 90 days if you have committed your first violation of an out-of-service order.
For at least one year if you have committed two violations of out-of-service orders within a
ten-year period.
For at least three years if you have committed three or more violations of out-of-service orders
within a ten-year period.
1.6.5 – Railroad-Highway Grade Crossing Violations
These violations include violation of a federal, state or local law or regulation pertaining to one of
the following six offenses at a railroad-highway grade crossing:
For drivers who are not required to always stop, failing to stop before reaching the crossing if
the tracks are not clear.
For drivers who are not required to always stop, failing to slow down and check that the tracks
are clear of an approaching train.
For drivers who are always required to stop, failing to stop before driving onto the crossing.
For all drivers failing to have sufficient space to drive completely through the crossing
without stopping.
For all drivers failing to obey a traffic control device or the directions of an enforcement official
at the crossing.
For all drivers failing to negotiate a crossing because of insufficient undercarriage clearance.
You will lose your CDL:
For at least 60 days for your first violation.
For at least 120 days for your second violation within a three-year period.
For at least one year for your third violation within a three-year period.
1.6.6 – Hazardous Materials Endorsement Background Check and Disqualifications
If you require a hazardous materials endorsement you will be required to submit your fingerprints
and be subject to a background check.
You will be denied or you will lose your hazardous materials endorsement if you:
Are not a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
Renounce your United States citizenship.
Are wanted or under indictment for certain felonies.
Have a conviction in military or civilian court for certain felonies.
Have been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution.
Are considered to pose a security threat as determined by the Transportation
Security Administration.
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
1.6.7 – Traffic Violations in Your Personal Vehicle
The Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act (MCSIA) of 1999 requires a CDL holder to be
disqualified from operating a commercial motor vehicle if the CDL holder has been convicted of
certain types of moving violations in their personal vehicle. This includes: leaving the scene of an
accident, violations involving alcohol and/or drugs, and felonies involving a motor vehicle.
If your privilege to operate your personal vehicle is revoked, cancelled, or suspended due to
violations of traffic control laws (other than parking violations) you will also lose your CDL driving
If your privilege to operate your personal vehicle is revoked, cancelled, or suspended due to
alcohol, controlled substance, or felony violations, you will lose your CDL for 1 year. If you are
convicted of a second such violation in your personal vehicle or CMV, you will lose your CDL for life.
If your license to operate your personal vehicle is revoked, cancelled, or suspended, you may
not obtain a “hardship” license to operate a CMV.
1.7 – Other CDL Rules
There are other federal and state rules that affect drivers operating CMVs in all states. Among them are:
1.7.1 – Licensing Rules
No one can drive a commercial motor vehicle without a CDL. A court may fine you up to $5,000
or put you in jail for breaking this rule.
You cannot have more than one license. If you break this rule, a court may fine you up to $5,000
or put you in jail and keep your home state license and return any others.
You must notify NYS DMV within 30 days if you are convicted in any other jurisdiction of any
traffic violation (except parking). This is true no matter what type of vehicle you were driving.
If you have a hazardous materials endorsement, you must notify and surrender your hazardous
materials endorsement to the state that issued your CDL within 24 hours if:
you are convicted, indicted, or found not guilty by reason of insanity in any jurisdiction,
civilian or military, for a disqualifying crime listed in 49 CFR 1572.103;
you are adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution as specified
in 49 CFR 1572.109; or
you renounce your U.S. citizenship.
All states are connected to one computerized system to share information about CDL drivers.
The states will check driving records and make sure that drivers do not have more than one CDL.
You must be properly restrained by a safety belt at all times while operating a commercial motor
vehicle. The safety belt design holds the driver securely behind the wheel during a crash, helping the
driver to control the vehicle, and reduces the chance of serious injury or death. If you do not wear a
safety belt, you are four times more likely to be fatally injured if you are thrown from the vehicle.
1.7.2 – Employment Rules
You must give your employer information on all driving jobs you have held for the past 10 years.
You must do this when you apply for a commercial driving job.
You must notify your employer within 30 days of conviction for any traffic violations (except
parking). This is true no matter what type of vehicle you were driving.
You must notify your employer if your license is suspended, revoked, or canceled, or if you are
disqualified from driving.
Your employer may not let you drive a commercial motor vehicle if you have more than one
license or if your CDL is suspended or revoked. A court may fine the employer up to $5,000 or
put him/her in jail for breaking this rule.
Page 1-10
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
1.8 – International Registration Plan and International Fuel Tax Agreement
If you operate a CDL-required vehicle in interstate commerce, the vehicle, with few exceptions, is
required to be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) and the International Fuel
Tax Agreement (IFTA). These programs provide for the equitable collection and distribution of vehicle
license fees and motor fuels taxes for vehicles traveling throughout the 48 contiguous United States
and 10 Canadian provinces.
1.8.1 - International Registration Plan (IRP)
Under the IRP, jurisdictions must register apportioned vehicles, which includes: issuing license
plates and cab cards or proper credentials; calculating, collecting and distributing IRP fees;
auditing carriers for accuracy of reported distance and fees; and enforcing IRP requirements.
Registrant responsibilities under the Plan include: applying for IRP registration with the base
jurisdiction, providing proper documentation for registration, paying appropriate IRP registration
fees, properly displaying registration credentials, maintaining accurate distance records, and
making records available to the base jurisdiction for audit.
1.8.2 - International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)
IFTA is an agreement that enables motor carriers operating in more than one jurisdiction to
simplify their reporting of fuel used and the payment of motor fuel use taxes.
Under the IFTA, a licensee is issued one set of credentials that will authorize operations through
all IFTA member jurisdictions. The fuel use taxes collected pursuant to the IFTA are calculated
based on the number of miles (kilometers) traveled and the number of gallons (liters) consumed
in the member jurisdictions. The licensee files one quarterly tax return with the base jurisdiction,
by which the licensee will report all operations through all IFTA member jurisdictions.
It is the base jurisdiction's responsibility to remit the taxes collected to other member jurisdictions
and to represent the other member jurisdictions in the tax collection process, including the
performance of audits.
An IFTA licensee must retain records to support the information reported on the IFTA quarterly tax
1.8.3 – Qualified Vehicle/Qualified Motor Vehicle Definitions
The IRP registrant and the IFTA licensee may be the vehicle owner or the vehicle operator.
The requirements for acquiring IRP plates for a vehicle and an IFTA license for a motor carrier
are determined by the definitions from the IRP Plan and the IFTA for Qualified Vehicle and
Qualified Motor Vehicle:
For purposes of IRP:
A Qualified Vehicle is (except as provided below) any Power Unit that is used or intended
for use in two or more member jurisdictions and that is used for the transportation of
persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of
property, and:
(i) has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of
26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms), or
(ii) has three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
(iii) is used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds
26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms).
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Page 1-11
For purposes of IFTA:
While similar, the Qualified Motor Vehicle in IFTA means a motor vehicle used, designed, or
maintained for transportation of persons or property and:
1) Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight
exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
2) Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
3) Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or
11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight. Qualified Motor
Vehicle does not include recreational vehicles.
1.8.4 - Record Keeping
If the vehicle you operate is registered under IRP and/or you are a motor carrier licensed
under IFTA, then you are required to comply with the mandatory record keeping requirements
for operating the vehicle. A universally accepted method of capturing this information is
through the completion of an Individual Vehicle Distance Record (IVDR), sometimes referred to
as a Driver Trip Report or Driver’s Daily Log. This document reflects the distance traveled and
fuel purchased for a vehicle that operates interstate under apportioned (IRP) registration and
IFTA fuel tax credentials.
Although the actual format of the IVDR may vary, the information that is required for
proper record keeping does not.
In order to satisfy the requirements for Individual Vehicle Distance Records, these documents
must include the following information:
Per Article IV of the IRP Plan:
(i) Date of trip (starting and ending)
(ii) Trip origin and all destinations – City and State or Province
(iii) Route(s) of travel
(iv) Beginning and ending odometer or hubodometer reading of the trip
(v) Total distance traveled
(vi) In-Jurisdiction distance (miles by state)
(vii) Power unit number or vehicle identification number.
Registrant’s name
Driver’s Name and/or Signature
Mileage Summaries (by fleet, vehicle and state)
• Monthly
• Quarterly
• Yearly
Summary totals should agree with odometer readings.
If GPS is used, it must be supported by records of actual daily vehicle odometer
If electronic records are maintained, they must be supported by actual daily records.
The IRP application must be supported by the summaries, which must be supported by
the daily mileage records.
Page 1-12
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Per Section P560 of the IFTA Procedures Manual:
.300 An acceptable receipt or invoice must include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
.005 Date of purchase
.010 Seller's name and address
.015 Number of gallons or liters purchased;
.020 Fuel type
.025 Price per gallon or liter or total amount of sale
.030 Unit number or other unique vehicle identifier
.035 Purchaser's name
An example of an IVDR that must be completed in its entirety for each trip can be found in
Figure 1.2, below. Each individual IVDR should be filled out for only one vehicle. The rules to
follow when trying to determine how and when to log an odometer reading are the following:
At the beginning of the day
When leaving the state or province
At the end of the trip/day
Not only do the trips need to be logged, but the fuel purchases need to be documented as
well. You must obtain a receipt for all fueling and include it with your completed IVDR.
Make sure that any trips that you enter are always filled out in descending order and that your
trips include all state/provinces that you traveled through on your route.
There are different routes that a driver may take, and most of the miles may be within one
state or province. Whether or not the distance you travel is primarily in one jurisdiction or
spread among several jurisdictions, all information for the trip must be recorded.
By completing this document in full and keeping all records required by both the IRP and the
IFTA, you will have ensured that you and your company are in compliance with all State and
Provincial laws surrounding fuel and distance record keeping requirements.
The IVDR serves as the source document for the calculation of fees and taxes that are
payable to the jurisdictions in which the vehicle is operated, so these original records must be
maintained for a minimum of six years.
In addition, these records are subject to audit by the base jurisdictions. Failure to maintain
complete and accurate records could result in fines, penalties and suspension or revocation of
IRP registrations and IFTA licenses.
Figure 1.2
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Page 1-13
1.8.5 – For Additional Information
Additional information on the IRP and the requirements related to the IRP, as well as contact
numbers for NYS DMV’s International Registration Bureau customer service, can be obtained
from the NYS IRP Instruction Manual (IRP-8), available under “Business Use Forms” at
www.dmv.ny.gov IRP, Inc, is the official repository for the IRP, and additional information can be
found on their website at www.irponline.org There is a training video on the website home page
available in English, Spanish and French.
For additional information on IFTA and the requirements related to IFTA, contact the appropriate
agency in your base jurisdiction. You will also find useful information about the Agreement at the
official repository of IFTA at http://www.iftach.org/index.php
Page 1-14
New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual CDL-10 (2/11)
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF