Shoreline Permit Process

Shoreline Permit Process
615 W. Alder Street
Shelton, WA 98584
Telephone: (360) 427-9670 ext. 352
Complete the application form and Environmental Checklist, where applicable, and submit to the
Department of Community Development. Other permits may be required by State and Federal
agencies for shoreline development (see list of contacts below).
Legal notice is placed in the “Shelton-Mason County Journal” for two consecutive weeks. Publication
cost is the responsibility of the applicant. Final permit processing will not occur until advertising fees
have been paid to the newspaper.
A thirty (30) day public comment period begins from the second legal notice publication date; notices
are sent to all adjacent property owners within 300 feet of applicant’s property boundary lines.
For Substantial Development Permits, Conditional Use Permits or Variance requests a public hearing
is typically held before the Mason County Hearing Examiner. Hearings are scheduled on the first
regularly scheduled Tuesday hearing day following the 30 day public comment period.
Following the Hearing Examiner hearing and decisions, the permit and findings are transmitted to the
applicant, Department of Ecology, and the Attorney General. A twenty-one to thirty (21-30) day
review period commences when the Department of Ecology receives the permit, during which appeals
to local government decisions can be made. Construction pursuant to the permit shall not begin, and is
not authorized, until twenty-one (21) days from the date of filing with Ecology.
If there is no appeal to the permit decisions, either by the Department of Ecology or by other, the
Department of Ecology will allow the decision of the local government to stand and at the end of the
twenty-one (21) day period, if the local government decision was to approve. If no other permits are
needed or other required permits have been granted, the project may proceed. The Department of
Ecology will render and transmit to the County and applicant its final decision approving, approving
with conditions or disapproving the permit within thirty (30) days of the date of submittal in the case of
Conditional Use and Variance permits. The final action to approve, deny, or modify, the Variance and
Conditional Use request is determined by the Department of Ecology. Should there be an appeal, the
project applied for may not begin until all appeals are settled by the State of Washington Shorelines
Hearings Board.
No permit authorizing construction shall extend for a term of more than five (5) years. If actual
construction of a development, for which a permit has been granted, has not begun within two years
after the approval of the permit by the Hearing Examiner, the Hearing Examiner shall, at the expiration
of the two year period, review the permit, and upon a showing of good cause, extend the permit for one
year. Otherwise, the permit terminates. Provided, that no permit shall be extended unless the applicant
has requested in writing such review and extension prior to the last regular meeting of the Hearing
Examiner, coming before the permit expiration date.
Page 1 of 4
SMP Process
Although not inclusive, the following identifies the primary contact a person may need to make when
developing within a shoreline area:
Region, 950 Farman Avenue North, Enumclaw, WA 98022-9282, Phone: (360) 825-1631.
Applications for a Forest Practices Permit for cutting of all merchantable timber for sale are made
with the Department of Natural Resources. Applications include map specification. No fee is
charged. Applications for bedland leasing are also available.
streams) 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA 98501-1091, Phone: (360) 902-2534 - saltwater,
(360) 753-2600 – freshwater. Applications for Hydraulic Permit to construct any form of hydraulic
project or other work that would use, divert, obstruct, or utilize any waters of the state of materials
from within the ordinary high water line are processed by the Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Applications must be submitted with map and drawing. No fee is charged.
U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS, Seattle District, P.O. Box 3755, Seattle, WA 98124,
Phone: (206) 764-3495. Applications are made for permits from the Corps for any development
within navigable waters (Section 10 Permit), discharge of dredged or fill materials into waters or
on their adjacent wetlands (Section 404 Permit) and transportation of dredge materials for disposal
in ocean waters (Section 103 Permit). Applications include drawing specifications. A fee is
required for permit issuance.
In addition to the information requested on the application, the applicant shall provide, at a minimum,
the following information.
Site Plan – drawn to scale and including:
a. Site boundary.
b. Property dimensions in vicinity of project.
c. Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM) located adjacent to or within the project. Where the
ordinary high water mark is neither adjacent to or within the boundary of the project plan
shall indicate distance and direction to the nearest ordinary high water mark of the
d. Typical cross section or sections showing:
1) existing ground elevation
2) proposed ground elevation
3) height of existing structure
4) height of proposed structures
e. Where appropriate, proposed land contours using five foot intervals in water area and ten
foot intervals on areas landward of ordinary high water mark, if development involves
grading, cutting, filling or other alteration of land contours. Contours shall be at intervals
sufficient to accurately determine the existing character of the property and the extent of the
proposed change to the land that is necessary for the development. Areas within the
Page 2 of 4
SMP Process
boundary that will not be altered by the development may be indicated as such and contours
f. A delineation of all wetland areas that will be altered or used as part of the development.
g. A general indication of the characters of vegetation found on site.
h. Show the dimensions and locations of all existing structures which will be maintained,
including; but, not limited to buildings, paved or graveled areas, roads, utilities, septic tanks
and drainfields, material stockpiles or surcharge, and stormwater management facilities.
i. A landscaping plan for the project.
j. Where applicable, plans for development of areas on or off the site as mitigation for
impacts associated with the proposed project shall be included and contain information
consistent with the requirements of this section.
k. Quantity, source, and composition of any fill material that is to be placed on the site
whether temporary or permanent.
l. Quantity, source, and destination of any excavated or dredged material.
m. A vicinity map showing the relationship of the property and proposed development or use
to roads, utilities, existing developments and uses on adjacent properties.
n. Where applicable, a depiction of the impacts to views from existing residential uses.
o. On all variance applications, the plan shall clearly indicate where development could occur
without approval of a variance, the physical features and circumstances on the property that
provides a basis for the request, and the location of adjacent structures and uses.
Vicinity Map
a. Indicate site location using natural points of reference (roads, state highways, prominent
landmarks, etc.).
b. If the development involves the removal of any soils by dredging or otherwise, identify the
proposed disposal site on the map. If disposal site is beyond the confines of the vicinity
map, provide another vicinity map showing the precise location of the disposal site and its
distance to nearest city or town.
c. Give brief narrative description of the general nature of the improvements and land use
within 1,000 feet in all directions from development site.
Adjacent Land Owners
Provide names and addresses of all real property owners within 300 feet of property where
development is proposed. When adjacent property widths exceed 100 feet, at least three (3)
adjacent property owners’ names and addresses shall be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: Completed application and documents shall be submitted to the Administrator of the
Department of Community Development for processing and review. The applicant prior to further
processing shall correct deficiencies in the application or submittal documents. Applications
considered as incomplete will be returned to the applicant.
Page 3 of 4
SMP Process
FEE STRUCTURE - will be based on current fees, see fee chart for reference.
Types of permits that require fees:
Substantial Development Permit
Conditional Use Permit
Variance Request
Conditional Use/Substantial Development Permit
Variance/Substantial Development Permit
Variance/Conditional Use Permit
Substantial Development/Conditional Use/Variance
Permit Revisions
In addition to the above fees, a State Environmental Policy Act fee (SEPA) will be required for the
environmental checklist processing (including site inspection).
Publication cost is the responsibility of the applicant. Final permit processing will not occur until
advertising fees have been paid to the newspaper by the applicant. The Shelton-Mason County Journal
will bill the applicant directly.
Applicant must sign and date the attached acknowledgment indicating that they understand this to be
their responsibility. Applicant must submit the signed page as part of application in order for it to be
considered complete.
Page 4 of 4
SMP Process
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF