Yard Machines | 424 | KINEW HOUSING TENANT HANDBOOK i Kinew Housing Inc. 201

Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing Inc.
201-424 Logan Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3A 0R4
Office telephone: 956-5093
Office fax: 943-0226
Applications: 944-8102
Email: kinew@mts.net
© Kinew Housing 2007
No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic,
photocopying, recording or otherwise) without prior written permission of Kinew Housing.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
The purpose of this handbook is to provide you with important information you will require during
your tenancy with Kinew Housing Inc. We have also included some helpful information regarding
repairs and maintenance, living in your new home, and your community. We encourage you to read
the entire handbook, and become familiar with its content.
This handbook is yours to keep, and we hope you will find it useful. Please keep it in a convenient
location, and refer to it first whenever you have questions. At the back you will find a list of phone
numbers you may need for various situations, as well as some important forms you will want to be
familiar with.
If you need information not included in this handbook, call the Kinew office at 956-5093, and
someone will be able to help you.
Kinew is the largest of several urban Aboriginal housing groups located in Winnipeg. Kinew was
established in 1970 to provide affordable housing in the city for low-income Aboriginal families. We
started with only a few houses, and helped establish a national urban Aboriginal housing policy for
the Government of Canada.
In the early years, Kinew purchased older homes and renovated them. This not only provided
housing, but also provided training and employment opportunities. Homes were purchased in
different areas of the city in order to provide tenants with a variety of neighbourhood choices. Later
on, newer homes were purchased in newer areas of the city.
While the federal government stopped funding social housing programs across Canada in 1993,
Kinew continued to grow, recently building ten new homes as a pilot project. Today, Kinew has
407 housing units available for rent, with different types of properties ranging from one-bedroom
apartments to six-bedroom houses. With the ongoing success of Kinew, we remain hopeful the
federal government will return to funding new housing programs in future.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Welcome to your new home! We at Kinew are pleased to be able to provide you with a rental unit for
you and your family.
Once you are given possession of your new home, you will be required to walk through the house
and take note of any damage or broken items, and mark them down on the Condition Report.
The Condition Report is described in more detail in the next section.
Your security deposit must be paid in full prior to receiving your keys. Keys will be available for your
home the last day of the month before your tenancy begins. You will be required to sign for keys, and
you will be responsible for the house after you have received the keys.
During your tenancy, you are responsible for paying your rent on time, and paying your own utilities.
When you move in, you are required to call each utility (City of Winnipeg for water, and Manitoba
Hydro for gas and electricity – phone numbers are located at the back of this handbook) with meter
readings and to have the accounts set up in your name. Even those on direct billing with
Employment and Income Assistance must call in to have accounts set up in their name. You will find
information on how to read utility meters later in this handbook.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Although Kinew is a private urban Aboriginal non-profit housing corporation, there are many guidelines from Manitoba Housing that we follow in order to ensure smooth administration of your tenancy.
These guidelines include completing the following forms:
1. Tenancy Agreement/Lease
This form is provided by Kinew, and is to be completed when you first move in. It is a legal contract that
states the responsibilities of Kinew as Landlord, and your responsibilities as Tenant. It contains
important information regarding the terms of your tenancy, and rules and regulations. Once it is filled
out, you will be given a copy of the Tenancy Agreement/Lease for your records. Please keep it in a
convenient place along with this handbook, and any other forms you are required to fill out.
2. Condition Report
A Condition Report helps protect both Kinew and you as the Tenant, by documenting the condition
of the house at the time you move in, and to make it easier to settle security deposit issues at the end
of your tenancy. When you receive the keys to your new home, you will be provided with a Condition
Report to fill out. Please note that no work orders for repairs to your home will be accepted until we
have received the completed Condition Report.
When the Condition Report is completed, call the Tenant Liaison Officer at 944-8102 and they will pick
it up and review it with you. Do not bring the Condition Report to the office. We will keep one copy for
our files, and also give you a copy to keep. Then, when you move out, another Condition
Report is filled out and compared to the first one.
During your tenancy, you are responsible for paying your own utilities. The Condition Report has a
section for meter readings, so please write down the readings on the Condition Report at the time you
take possession of your new home. Information on how to read utility meters is available later in this
handbook. If you have any questions regarding the Condition Report, reading meters, or utility accounts, please
contact the Kinew office and someone will be able to help you.
3. Rent Calculation Form
If your rent is being subsidized, you are required to complete a Rent Calculation Form to determine the
amount of subsidy. This form must be completed at the time you move in, and every year after. A new
Rent Calculation Form must also be filled out anytime there are changes in your income or family size.
If changes are to be made to your rent, they must be done before the end of the current month in
order to adjust the next month’s rent. Changes cannot be made retroactive to previous months. An
appointment is required to fill out your Rent Calculation Form. Appointment times are available from
Monday to Friday, between 9:00am and 12:00pm, or 1:30pm and 4:00pm. Call Kinew to set up
your appointment time.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
You will be reminded by letter when this form is to be completed three months prior to your anniversary
date, and the letter will indicate the necessary information you are to provide. If the Rent Calculation
Form is not completed, your rent will be based on market values, in the range of $550 to $900. Please
note that outstanding balances for rent or repairs will have to be paid before staff will finalize your Rent
Calculation Form.
It is very important that Rent Calculation Forms are filled out accurately and completely. Failure to report
your total household income, or to misrepresent your total household income, will be considered
fraudulent activity. This may result in a rent increase being charged retroactively, or notice of
termination issued. If you have questions about the Rent Calculation Form process, or about reporting
your total household income, please contact the Kinew office.
In order to make changes to your Rent Calculation Form, you will be required to bring the following
information to the Kinew office:
If receiving EIA, you will need to provide a budget letter from EIA to Kinew showing dependants and spouse.
If working full-time, you will need two recent pay stubs.
If working part-time, you will need two months worth of pay stubs.
Students will need to provide a budget sheet showing band sponsorship stating allowance rate (i.e. single rate, single with number of children, married with two dependants).
Students receiving Canada Student Loans must provide a financial assistance statement.
If you receive a pension, you will need payment stubs from Human Resources and Development. Phone 1-800-277-9914.
If self-employed, you will need your last verified income tax return, or Notice of Assessment.
All tenants will need their most recent Notice of Assessment from the Government of Canada. Phone 1-800-959-8281.
4. Employment and Income Assistance Rent Direct Form
Kinew requests that your rent be sent directly to Kinew from the Employment and Income Assistance
office. Therefore, you will need to fill out an Employment and Income Assistance Form. This request form
needs to be filled out at least once each year, and sent to your EIA worker.
5. Information Release Form for Utilities
Kinew requires all tenants to complete a Utility Information Release Form, which enables Kinew to
access information regarding your account during your tenancy. This form will be provided by Kinew.
6. Notice to Vacate Rented Premises Form
When you want to vacate, notice must be given in writing to Kinew with one full month’s notice. This
written notice includes the date the notice is given, name and address, date you will be moving, and your
signature. Please also include the reason you are moving. A sample copy of a Notice to Vacate Rented
Premises form is located at the back of this handbook. Forms are available at the office. Please note that
Kinew does not accept verbal notices to vacate. See ‘Notice by Tenant’ for further details.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Rental payments are due on or before the first day of each month. Cash payments are not accepted at
the Kinew office. The following methods of payment are accepted:
Debit card – Payments by debit card can be made in person at Kinew.
Tele-banking or Internet banking – Tenant will require the ability to conduct tele-banking or Internet banking through their regular banking institution, using an account number that Kinew will provide.
Cheque or money order – Payments can be made by cheque or money order at the Kinew office, or by mail. Please note if your cheque is returned for any reason, there will be a $25 service fee charged. You will also receive a letter advising if it happens again, the only methods accepted will be debit card, certified cheque or money order.
Post-dated cheques – You may provide post-dated cheques to Kinew at the start of your
tenancy, dated for the 1st of each month.
Employment and Income Assistance – Kinew requests that your rent be paid directly by EIA.
You will be asked by Kinew to fill out the form described in the previous section.
Kinew reserves the rights to charge late fees as provided for in the Residential Tenancies Act.
If you choose to mail payments, please be sure to send it a few days before it is due, to ensure it arrives
on time. If you send a money order, keep the receipt in case the payment gets lost in the mail. Rental
payments can also be made in person at the Kinew office, between the hours of 9:00am and 4:30pm
from Monday to Friday.
If you are unable to make a payment on time for any reason, it is your responsibility to notify Kinew
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
At the start of your tenancy, you will be required to submit a security deposit. Your security deposit
is kept by Kinew until the time you move out. In order to process the return of your security deposit
within 14 days, we request that you do the following:
Return all keys provided for your unit.
Call in final meter readings to utility companies on the last day of your tenancy.
Provide confirmation that your final water bill has been paid in full.
Please be aware that you may be charged for damages beyond normal wear and tear. This includes:
missing light bulbs and shades, torn screens, broken windows, missing smoke alarms, etc. If keys are not
returned, you will be charged for changing locks. All garbage and belongings must be removed from
the house and appliances must be cleaned, or you will be charged a cleaning fee. The grass must also be
cut and the yard left clean and free of garbage, furniture and other items.
When vacating a unit at the end of your tenancy, you must be completely moved by the last day of the
month, or additional days will be charged to you. Once you have moved out, a final Condition Report is
completed and compared to the one filled out at the time you moved in.
If you are charged any repair and replacement costs, or cleaning and maintenance fees, a completed
security deposit form will be provided explaining the charges against your security deposit.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
During your tenancy with Kinew, you are responsible for paying your own utilities – water from the City
of Winnipeg, and gas and electricity from Manitoba Hydro. When you move in, you are required to call
each utility with current meter readings and have the accounts set up in your name – even for those on
direct billing with Employment and Income Assistance.
Please note that if you do not set up your account and Kinew receives a utility bill for a new tenant, you
will be sent a letter regarding the bill and requesting the name change on the account. The change will
have to be made within a set amount of time, or Kinew may proceed with eviction action based on
failing to maintain utilities in good standing.
If you have utility arrears we will receive a letter from the utility informing us of these arrears. You will be
sent a warning letter reminding you that you must maintain the utilities in good standing. If
disconnection of utility takes place you will receive a further letter of warning and a Notice of
Termination for failing to maintain utilities.
Kinew will not call utility companies on behalf of tenants, to extend service for utilities when
disconnection is being considered.
If you wish to have telephone service, Internet service, or cable television service during your tenancy,
you will be responsible for calling the appropriate service provider and setting up an account in your
name. All set-up costs and monthly fees are the responsibility of the Tenant. TRANSFERS
Transfers from unit to unit are rare. However, Kinew has transferred families on previous occasion, in
situations where family size has changed during tenancy – from a smaller to larger house, or a larger to
smaller house – and an appropriate unit has been available.
If you feel you have a valid reason to request a transfer, please write a letter to Kinew explaining your
reason, and provide letters from any assisting agencies. An inspection of your current unit will be done
before your transfer will be considered, and any repairs required (due to the Tenant) must be completed
or paid before the transfer can take place. Transfers will not be considered if the Tenant has any
outstanding arrears due to either rent or damages.
When a family becomes too large or too small for the house they are in, they may be given notice to
move because of over-housing or under-housing. If we have an available unit there is the possibility of
transfer. The conditions of transfer above will apply. The notice issued will be a 90-day notice. When you
receive this notice, please call the Tenant Liaison.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
During your tenancy, your living situation may change, and you may require that additional adults be
added to or removed from the lease. Addition of an adult to your lease will require a separate application. Contact Kinew if you wish to change the number of adults on your lease.
Please note that we can remove someone from the lease if they request it in writing, if a restraining
order is in place, or a new EIA budget sheet has been provided. Changes to lease must be approved
by Kinew.
Please note that a change to your lease will be accepted one time, without any cost to you. An
administration fee will be charged after the second change resulting from bringing an additional
adult on the lease, or removing someone off the lease.
During your tenancy, Kinew retains insurance on the property itself – to protect for major repairs or
replacement of the structure. However, this insurance only covers the structure, and does not cover
your possessions within the structure. For example, if a fire, flood, or other disaster was to destroy the
unit, or theft was to occur of your personal belongings, replacement of your possessions is not covered by Kinew’s property insurance. It is solely your responsibility to insure your own possessions.
It is strongly recommended that tenants take out an insurance policy for their own possessions. This
is called renter’s insurance, and it is available through dozens of insurance companies in Winnipeg. As
a consumer looking for insurance, you may want to contact more than one insurance company, as the
insurance industry is very competitive and you have many choices. Find a company you are
comfortable working with.
Kinew has a very firm policy on pets – no pets allowed. No exceptions.
Parking at the apartments may be available. Should you require parking during your tenancy, please
make this known when signing your lease. If there is a spot available, you will be designated a spot by
Kinew at that time.
Please note that parking – by you or your guests – is not allowed in any spots not designated to you.
Please respect that all other spots have been designated to other tenants, and must be left open at all
times for those tenants.
Just as others may tow your vehicle from their designated parking spots, you can also have vehicles
towed from your designated parking spot.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Noise is often a matter of concern for neighbours. A noisy tenant may not be aware they are noisy.
During your tenancy, we would like to request that you also respect the other tenants in or near your
housing unit, by keeping the noise to a minimum.
While the City of Winnipeg has by-laws for all residents about keeping excessive noise to a minimum
after 10:00pm, we ask that tenants be aware of excessive noise at any time. This includes loud music
or television, loud gatherings, noisy children, etc. Please do your best to keep the noise coming from
inside or outside your unit to a level that is acceptable for all.
You are not permitted to store derelict or uninsured vehicles on the property. When we receive a
complaint or notice of such a vehicle, you will be given a warning to have the vehicle removed.
Kinew does not permit open fire pits of any type. This does not include propane or charcoal briquette
Inspections are done by Kinew staff, either as scheduled inspections or as a result of a complaint from
a neighbour, Health Department or social worker, etc. You will receive a letter indicating the date that
the inspection will be done. Information and instructions will be contained in the letter.
When inspections are done they will note any broken or damaged items such as screens, windows,
doors, light shades, etc. They will also note housekeeping and yard maintenance during the
inspection. If you have items you would like to have looked at during the inspection, write it down
and give it to whoever is doing the inspection.
It is our goal at Kinew to create a peaceful and enjoyable living environment for all tenants and
surrounding neighbours. Therefore, it is important that you do your best to be a good neighbour, and
respect those living around you.
If you find that your neighbours are excessively loud, parking in your spot, or being disruptive in any
way, please inform Kinew of your complaint in writing and we will do our best to rectify the situation.
If someone makes a complaint against you, we will notify you of this. If you continue to cause
complaints, please note we will take appropriate action based on the complaint.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Both Kinew and the Tenant have a number of responsibilities during tenancy.
Kinew’s responsibilities:
Allow a tenant or member of a tenant’s household to enjoy the use of the rental unit for all usual living purposes.
Do maintenance and repairs, and keep the unit in good living condition.
Provide a written receipt for rent paid, showing the amount of rent received, the date received, and address of the rental unit.
Investigate complaints of disturbance or risk to safety as soon as possible and try to resolve the problem.
Tenant’s responsibilities:
Pay the rent on time, on or before the first day of each month.
Keep the rental unit clean on the inside and outside – this includes appliances, and keeping the yard clean by cutting grass, shovelling snow from sidewalks, keeping clutter to a
minimum, putting garbage in the proper place, etc.
Notify Kinew of necessary repairs as soon as possible.
Request approval from Kinew for any redecoration (painting, fixtures, carpets, etc.) of the rental unit.
Take reasonable care not to damage the rental unit. If damage does occur, to repair the
damaged property within a reasonable period of time.
To not disturb or endanger the safety of others in the building or neighbouring property.
Make sure that people allowed into their unit or building do not cause damage, disturb or endanger the safety of others. Please note, you are personally responsible for the actions and damages of your guests, family and invitees.
Understand and follow Kinew’s rules and regulations included in your Tenancy Agreement.
Respect Kinew’s “no pet” policy – no exceptions.
Ensure that only people on the lease reside in the rental unit.
Be responsible for utilities, telephone/television services, and renter’s insurance.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew, as landlord, has the right to provide a ‘Notice of Termination’ for the tenant to move out with
sufficient reason. Reasons can include things such as:
Non-payment or continual late payment of rent.
Damaging the rental property.
Any criminal activities such as selling of drugs, prostitution, or using the rental unit for
purposes other than living in it.
Keeping an animal in the unit.
Congestion of hallways and common areas.
Unreasonable noise.
Failure to cut lawn and maintain grounds.
Remodelling of unit without permission.
Failure to correct something already brought to your attention by the landlord.
Failure to follow rules and regulations.
A Notice of Termination will include the date the notice was given, the reason for the notice, and the
date the tenant is to move out.
Non-payment of rent – If a tenant does not pay rent on time, and has not previously
contacted Kinew with a Mediated Agreement through the Residential Tenancies Branch, the tenant may be asked to move out immediately.
Breach of Lease – A warning will be given for the tenant to correct the problem within a reasonable time. If the problem is not corrected, the tenant may be asked to move with one month’s notice.
Extreme disturbance or damage – In the case where a tenant causes extreme disturbance to other tenants, or extreme damage to their unit or other units, the tenant may be given notice to move out within five days.
If you have received a Notice of Termination, you will be required to take the following action:
Non-payment of rent – Pay the rent owed in full. Payment of arrears cancels the notice. If you are unable to pay your arrears, you may use the mediation service available through the
Residential Tenancies Branch. If you meet the conditions as set out in the mediated
agreement, your tenancy will continue. However, if you fail to meet the conditions the next action is an Application for Order of Possession. This is further explained in the next section.
Breach of Lease – Correct the problem immediately and notify the office to confirm the
problem has been corrected and arrange for inspection.
Extreme disturbance or damage – You may contact the Residential Tenancies Branch to
determine if you have any recourse for action. Otherwise, you will be required to move out within the time allotted.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
If you have been served a Notice of Termination for non-payment of rent, have not paid the rent arrears
in full, and have not moved out by the date on the notice, Kinew may make an Application for Order of
This process provides one final opportunity for mediation service by the Residential Tenancies Branch
between the Tenant and Kinew. In order for mediation to occur, you must call the mediator named on
the Application for Order of Possession. If a mediated agreement is reached and abided by, Kinew will
not be given the Order of Possession. However if the mediated agreement isn’t abided by, the
Residential Tenancies Branch will give Kinew the Order of Possession. Once an Order of Possession has
been served, there is no appeal process.
If a mediated agreement cannot be reached, a hearing will take place on the date indicated on the
Application for Order of Possession. At this hearing, both parties are given the opportunity to present
their evidence regarding the claim, and will be asked questions by a hearing officer. The hearing officer
will then send a written decision to both parties after the hearing. More information about an
Application for Order of Possession and mediation is available through the Residential Tenancies Branch.
Once Kinew makes an Application for Order of Possession, and you decide on mediation instead, you
will be responsible to reimburse Kinew for the filing fee of $60.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
If the Tenant wants to move out before the end of their lease, notice must be given in writing to Kinew,
with one full month’s notice. For example, if you want to move out on June 30, written notice must be
given no later than May 31.
Your written notice must include the date the notice is given, your name and address, the date you will
be moving by, and your signature. Please also include the reason you are moving, as this may provide
us with important information that will allow us to help you, or the next tenant. Please include your
forwarding address as well. Please note that Kinew does not accept verbal notices to vacate.
If there is a dispute between the Tenant and landlord at any time, which cannot be worked out , either
party may choose mediation.
In mediation, an impartial person called a mediation officer tries to help the landlord and Tenant reach
an agreement. Mediation allows for this objective third-party person to listen openly to both sides, and
help the two parties reach a solution that is suitable for both parties.
A mediation officer does not take sides or pass judgment. Usually a mediation officer speaks to both
the landlord and Tenant on the telephone, in separate conversations. Sometimes mediation takes place
at a face-to-face meeting. It is up to the mediation officer to decide which method to use. Successful mediation takes willingness from both parties to want to reach a solution. Successful
mediation also requires good faith that both parties will honour the mediator’s decision and the
agreed-upon solution. If the landlord and Tenant reach an agreement, the mediation officer will put
the agreement in writing and give a copy to the landlord and Tenant. If either party does not follow the
terms of the agreement, the Residential Tenancies Branch will issue an order to enforce the agreement
– an order that cannot be appealed.
In the case where a landlord and Tenant cannot reach an agreement, even with the help of a mediation
officer, a hearing will be held.
There is no charge for mediation provided that it is done before an Application for Order of Possession
is made. If the application has been made the Tenant is responsible for the filing fee, which is currently
$60. If mediation fails, the Tenant will be responsible for filing fees.
Kinew uses the mediation process quite successfully. It helps to relieve the stress that may be caused
when a Notice of Termination has been served. More information about mediation and solving tenantlandlord conflicts is available through the Residential Tenancies Branch.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Here are some quick tips to help keep your house clean:
Cover your entrance with a mat, so people can wipe their feet before they walk into the house.
Use baking soda to remove burned-on foods, by making a paste and soaking overnight.
Clean from top to bottom, and avoid having dust and dirt falling down onto areas you’ve
already cleaned.
Spend some money on a good vacuum cleaner, and vacuum carpets, floors and furniture on a weekly basis.
Avoid ironing by hanging clothes up immediately after taking them out of the dryer.
Wipe your kitchen sink after every use, and clean daily with dishwashing liquid and a sponge or dishcloth. Use vinegar to remove built up water spots.
Wipe your stovetop immediately after using, to avoid spills from hardening and becoming more difficult to clean.
Keep the inside of your refrigerator and freezer clean by wiping up spills right away, and
regularly removing all the contents and wiping shelves, walls, and inside trays. A good cleaning solution consists of a few tablespoons of baking soda in a jug of warm water.
It is important to keep countertops clean to avoid spreading germs to food products. Wipe your counters often, using baking soda and water, or other kitchen cleaning supplies.
Keep your cloth shower curtain clean by removing it and washing it in the washing machine on a regular basis. If it is plastic, wipe it down with a disinfectant bathroom cleaner.
Avoid using the basement for storage. Many of the houses are old and have experienced water leakage in the spring or during heavy rainfalls. Items stored in basements may be ruined or damaged.
Avoid piling clothes on the basement floor as it causes mildew and mold.
Make sure that you do not sweep dirt or debris into your registers.
Remove garbage from inside your house daily, and dispose of it in your outdoor garbage container.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
It’s a good idea to have a tool kit in your home, with some basic tools for doing small repairs and
maintenance jobs. Find tools you like, and purchase them one-by-one as you need them. Buy a toolbox
to keep all your tools in, and eventually, you will have a useful tool kit.
Some tools you might like to have include:
Adjustable wrench
Utility knife
Hammer and nails
Various screwdrivers and screws
Drill and drill bits
Socket set
Staple gun
Caulking gun
Measuring tape
Always keep tools stored in a safe place, away from children. Do not let children use tools
unsupervised. Keep the toolbox locked, so tools cannot be taken out without adult permission and
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
You will be provided with keys to your new home when you move in. If you need additional keys, you
can get keys cut at any key-cutting shop. If you would like additional keys from Kinew, the cost is $5
per key and $30 per mailbox key, payable in advance.
Only give out keys to members of your household, and be careful not to lose your keys. Kinew does
not have a lock-out service, so if you lose your keys, you must obtain new ones.
If you are locked out after hours it is your responsibility to pay for any locksmith services incurred. During office hours, a spare key is available at the Kinew office. Please call to make arrangements.
If for any reason locks need to be changed, contact Kinew to make arrangements. The cost is $35 per
lock, payable in advance. The original lock and keys must be returned to Kinew. Tenants are not
allowed to change locks on their own.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Bathroom fans are an important part of your home’s ventilation system. They remove odours from
your house, which improve indoor air quality. They also remove moisture, which can increase the level
of humidity in your house. High humidity can damage building materials and cause mold growth,
which can harm your family’s health.
Use your bathroom fan for at least one hour every time someone takes a bath or shower. Fans also
attract dirt, and should be cleaned regularly. A typical fan can be cleaned by pulling down the grill and
brushing and washing the grill. Do not remove or unplug the fan. Kinew does not clean furnace ducts. You can vacuum heat vents and cold air returns by removing
the vent cover and vacuuming as far as you can reach. Duct-cleaning companies will tell you that
you should have them cleaned in order to improve air quality, reduce allergens, get rid of house dust,
and reduce energy. But while duct cleaning will clean some dust and debris from the ducts, it will not
usually change the quality of the air you breathe, nor will it significantly affect airflow or heating costs.
Changing furnace filters will help to reduce your heating costs and reduce the dust in your home.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Excessive humidity or moisture in your house can cause mold growth in your home. Activities like
bathing, showering, cooking, drying clothes indoors, and dishwashing, generate moisture on a daily
The basement is the most likely place to find moisture and mold problems. If you are not sure whether
the suspected spot is mold, dab it with a drop of household bleach. If it loses colour or disappears, it is
likely to be mold. If there is no change, it is probably not mold.
Bathrooms are another likely location for mold, usually along the tub and tub surround, and on ceilings. This can be easily cleaned with a bathroom disinfectant cleaner such as Tilex. Regular use of the
bathroom fan, together with regular cleaning, will reduce these kinds of mold build-ups.
Along windows is another location for mold, usually in the winter. To help avoid this, open curtains
during the day and close them at night. Use your exhaust fan if your house has one, especially after
showers or baths.
If you suspect that you have mold, call the office for further information.
If you have a problem with ‘critters’ in your house – mice, squirrels, pigeons, wasps, etc.– you may have
a situation that requires extermination. It’s important to report any kind of situation like this to Kinew
Sometimes the problem can be fixed by cleaning up food or spills, cutting long grass in the yard, or
removing garbage and furniture items leaning up and around the foundation of the house. Once it is
determined that the problem cannot be fixed by the Tenant, Kinew may call in an exterminator.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Utilities are provided for all residents of the City of Winnipeg, in order for your home to function on a
day-to-day basis. These include hydro electricity that provides you with power to turn on lights, work
your appliances, and anything that needs to be plugged in. Hydro electricity can also provide you with
heat, if your home is equipped with electric heating. Homes without electric heating contain a furnace,
which gets power from a supply of natural gas. Both electricity and natural gas are provided by
Manitoba Hydro.
Your home also has a plumbing system that allows fresh water to flow into your home. The water in your
home is safe for drinking right out of the tap, although some people prefer to filter their tap water, or
drink bottled water. The water in your home is also used for cleaning, flowing through appliances that
require water like washing machines and dishwashers, and allowing your toilets to flush away human
waste. The water that comes into your home is provided by the City of Winnipeg.
Each of these utilities is monitored on a monthly basis by the service provider (Manitoba Hydro or the
City of Winnipeg). Each utility is monitored using a meter located somewhere inside or outside your
home, that allows for monthly “meter readings” to take place. Payments for utilities are based on monthly
consumption for the household. This means that how much you pay each month depends on how much
power, water and heat you and your family use in that month.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Water Meter
The water meter is located inside the house, often near the front of the house. This meter is usually
read by the water company once a year, and normally occurs during the summer. Throughout the rest
of the year, they mail a card for you to fill out and call the reading in every three months. It is important
that you read your water meter each time you receive the card and call your reading in, in order to
avoid estimated bills. Estimated bills are often higher than actual readings, so you may end up paying
more than you have to during the year.
Also, it is important to read your water meter because drastic changes in the amount of water
consumed may indicate a leak in your home – leaky faucets, toilets, pipes, etc. If you do not notice a
leak and do not get it repaired, the end result will be a larger than normal water bill that is your
responsibility to pay. If you notice a water leak, please notify the Kinew office as soon as possible.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Gas and Hydro Meter
The gas meter may be located inside your house, but most are on the outside. The gas meter is read by
Manitoba Hydro employees every second month, and estimated by Manitoba Hydro in between
reading months.
Manitoba Hydro employees will come to your door and request to read your meter. If you are not at
home, they will leave a card in your mailbox with instructions on how to read the meter yourself. Please
take your own reading and call it in promptly to avoid estimated bills.
Hydro Meter
The hydro meter is almost always located on the outside of the house and is read by Manitoba Hydro
every second month, while every other month is estimated. You are usually not required to read the
hydro meter, except at the time you are moving in or out.
If you have any questions regarding your utilities, or reading the utility meters, call the Kinew office and
someone will be able to help you.
As a final safety note, please be aware that all City of Winnipeg or Manitoba Hydro employees who
come to your home to read meters always wear visible identification indicating they are an employee
of the City of Winnipeg or Manitoba Hydro. If someone comes to your door to read a meter, always ask
to see their identification. If they cannot show you proper identification, do not let them in. It is
important that children also be made aware of this safety precaution.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
The utility bills for your unit are your sole responsibility during your tenancy. How much you pay for utilities depends on how much you are consuming. There are many ways to reduce consumption, including
the following:
Keep your thermostat low (20-23 degrees Celcius) so your home is comfortable and warm, but not too warm.
Turn the heat down (not off ) during the day (18-20 degrees Celcius) if you are away from home, and at night when going to bed.
Change your furnace filter at least once every month during the winter, because your furnace consumes more energy if the filter is dirty and full of dust. The arrows on your filter should
always face the furnace.
During winter months, leave your drapes open during sunny days to let in natural light and heat, and close the drapes at night to help protect against heat loss.
Turn off lights that are not in use, and when leaving a room.
Use lower watt light bulbs wherever possible, or use compact fluorescent light bulbs. A 15-watt compact fluorescent light bulb produces the same light as a typical 60-watt bulb and saves 45 watts for every hour you leave the light on.
Do not allow children to play with small electrical appliances, and do not leave them running when not in use.
Use cold water to wash and rinse your laundry. Only wash full loads of laundry, but be careful not to overload the machines.
Clean lint from your lint catcher in your dryer after every use. Check the outside vent and clean
occasionally. Clean appliances use less hydro power.
Call the office for repairs of leaking taps or pipes, or running toilets as soon as you notice them.
Never use the oven for heating the house, or for anything but cooking. Leaving your doors open
consumes excess power and creates danger for children. Turn it off as soon as you are finished cooking.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Television services are available to Winnipeg residents though Manitoba Telecom Services (MTS) and
Shaw Cable. Normally, a hook-up fee is charged at the time service begins, and billing occurs on a
monthly basis. Contact either company to inquire about the best television service for you.
If you choose to have a satellite dish instead of television cable services, you must submit your request
in writing to install a satellite dish, so Kinew can approve your request before installation takes place. It
is a requirement that the dish be professionally installed, and that there be no rooftop installations. All
installation costs will be the responsibility of the Tenant.
Upon vacating the unit, the surface upon which you’ve installed the satellite dish must be restored and
repaired to the original condition. Any costs incurred to restore or repair the surface will also be your
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
The Tenant and landlord share the responsibility of keeping the rental unit comfortable and safe. As
Tenant, it is always best to inform the landlord about problems when they occur. The Tenant is responsible for cleaning and repairing damages beyond normal “wear and tear.” This includes damages caused
by a guest.
The general rule is that Kinew is responsible for repairing worn out items, while the Tenant is
responsible for repairs of items that are broken or plugged. If it is determined that repairs are your
responsibility, Kinew will invoice you for those repairs. If you consider that an invoice may not be your
responsibility, please call the Kinew office with your explanation as soon as you receive the invoice.
It is the Tenant’s responsibility to look after the yard as well. This includes cutting grass in the yard and
on the boulevard, and picking up garbage. In winter, you are responsible for shovelling snow from the
sidewalks. You are also responsible for any fees charged by the City of Winnipeg in regards to weeds,
grass cuttings of yards or boulevards, and any garbage pick-up fees. We suggest that you use an electric
lawnmower, as they are usually cheaper and easier to store. Never store gasoline for your gas mower
inside your house.
When you call in to place a request for repairs, you will be asked to give a description of what needs
repairing and why it needs repairing. This helps us determine who should be sent to do the repairs.
It is important that you give permission to enter the house to have the work done when you first call
the office with your request. If you have an alarm system, you must let the office know and provide the
code, if you are not going to be available.
When it is determined that repairs need to be done in your home, a work order will be made and given
to the maintenance supervisor. Each work order is prioritized, and the maintenance supervisor
determines when the work gets done. If a maintenance person goes to your home to do the repair, and
no one is home, they will leave a note for you to phone and make alternate arrangements. If you don’t
phone, the work order will be cancelled, and you will have to put in a new request for the repair.
When a maintenance person is at your home, if you have additional work that needs to be done, please
do not ask the maintenance person to do it. If the work is not on the current work order, the
maintenance person is not authorized to do the work. You will have to submit another request to the
Kinew office for new work.
In the case of a repair company or contractor, if you have made arrangements with a company or
contractor to come and do repairs and no one is home when they arrive, they will charge for the service
call, even if the work was not completed. The Tenant will be responsible for the service call.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
There may be times when you feel that your request for work should be in writing. There are Formal
Request for Repairs forms available at the office. A sample of this form is located at the back of this
Please fill out the Formal Request for Repairs form and mail it to us or bring it to the Kinew
office. Once we have received your form, a work order will be made out and given to the Maintenance
Supervisor who will respond to your request as soon as they are able.
Kinew is unable to provide 24-hour emergency repair services. However, if you call the office after
4:30pm during the week or on weekends, you will receive instructions for what to do in an emergency
situation. Examples of emergency situations include: lack of heat, burst pipes, sewer back-up, lack of
power, and malfunctioning smoke detectors.
If the problem is with your furnace or heat, call Manitoba Hydro (phone numbers are located at the
back of this handbook). If they are unable to repair the problem, call Kinew’s after hours phone
number (956-2206) and leave a message.
For problems with plumbing or electrical after hours, please call Kinew (956-2206) and leave a
message. Someone will return your call.
Please note that Kinew is unable to provide repairs to doors, windows or appliances after hours
– even in the case of a break-in. If you call a contractor or company to do the work for you, it is your
responsibility to pay for the work being done.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
When calling in for maintenance work, you will often be directed to this handbook, so be sure to
check your handbook first before calling in. Here are some common problems and things you can
check on your own before calling to request repairs.
Washing machine – doesn’t fill, doesn’t spin, doesn’t drain, etc.
Make sure the water is turned on.
Make sure the machine is plugged in. •
Make sure the electrical breaker is on.
Make sure the machine is not overloaded, or the load is off-balance.
If water is leaking, make sure the hoses are tight.
Dryer – doesn’t heat, doesn’t turn, vent not connected, too noisy, takes too long to dry, etc.
Make sure the dryer is plugged in.
Make sure the breaker is on.
Make sure the lint catcher is clean.
Make sure the outside vent isn’t blocked by snow or anything else.
Fridge – doesn’t cool, doesn’t freeze, freezes food inside fridge compartment, etc.
Make sure the fridge is plugged in.
Make sure the breaker is on.
Make sure the dials on the inside are at proper settings.
Stove – element doesn’t work, oven doesn’t work, etc.
Make sure the fuses are working – keep additional fuses on hand for quick replacement.
Make sure the breaker is on.
Make sure the timer has not been set – should be on manual.
Plumbing – toilet plugged, leaking occurs, etc.
Make sure taps are turned off.
If a toilet is plugged, try using a plunger first.
Never leave anything leaking – if you have a leak, call Kinew immediately.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Electrical – lights won’t work, appliances won’t work, etc.
Make sure breaker is turned on – reset breaker by turning it all the way off then back on, twice.
Make sure switch is turned on.
Make sure appliance is plugged in.
Make sure light bulbs are not burned out.
Never do your own repairs to anything electrical – put in request to Kinew.
Furnace – is not working, poor heat, etc.
Make sure switch (usually located near the stairs) is turned on.
Make sure vents are not blocked or restricted.
Make sure pilot light is on.
Make sure the filter is clean.
Call Manitoba Hydro before calling the office.
Hot water tank – hot water is not working, not enough hot water tank is leaking, etc.
Make sure pilot light is on – if not on, call Manitoba Hydro to re-light.
Make sure temperature settings are adequate.
If tank is leaking water, shut off the water tap above the tank and call Kinew immediately.
Plugged Sewer – water backing up into basement.
Stop the washing machine or any appliances that are running.
Avoid flushing the toilet.
Call Kinew as soon as possible.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Should you encounter a problem that you feel is related to health and safety, please report it to the
office as soon as possible. This includes things like broken steps, loose handrails, etc. Here are some important tips for keeping your home safe:
Do not store gas, gas lawnmowers, or propane tanks for gas barbeques in the house.
Do not attempt any electrical work in the house.
Do not use the basement as a bedroom.
Test your smoke detector at least once a month.
Never leave your stove unattended while cooking.
Keep area around the furnace and hot water tank clear.
Keep curtains and beds away from electric baseboard heaters.
Always replace fuses with those of proper size and type.
Change furnace filters regularly (once per month during winter).
Clean dryer lint filter after every load.
In its natural state, natural gas has no smell. However, Manitoba Hydro adds an odorant called
“Mercaptan” to its natural gas to make it easy to smell if it leaks. If your gas is leaking, it will smell like
“rotten eggs.” If you suspect your natural gas is leaking, do not use light switches, matches, lighters,
flashlights or telephone. Leave the premises immediately. Call Manitoba Hydro’s 24-hour gas leak
emergency line at 480-5555. Instruct your children to “smell, leave and tell” – teach them if they smell
natural gas, they need to leave the house immediately, run to a neighbour’s house, and ask an adult to
call for help.
Each home should purchase a carbon monoxide detector. If carbon monoxide is inhaled, it depletes the
amount of oxygen in your red blood cells. Symptoms include:
Low Exposure: Slight headache and/or shortage of breath during physical activity.
Higher Exposure: Severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision and
hearing impairment, collapse or fainting during physical exertion, loss of muscle control and drowsiness.
Extreme Exposure: Unconsciousness, brain damage, death.
Other indicators of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
A sharp penetrating odour when the furnace or other fuel burning equipment turns on.
Stale or stuffy air.
Your natural gas light keeps going on and/or your carbon monoxide alarm activates.
Excessive moisture forms on windows and walls.
Be alert that symptoms are similar to the common flu, and as a result may go unnoticed. If you have any
of the above symptoms and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, please do the following:
1. Leave the home immediately and call 911 or your local fire department.
2. If your detector activates, open all doors and windows immediately to ventilate and contact
Manitoba Hydro to come and check your fuel-burning equipment (even if you have no symptoms).
The Manitoba Hydro Natural Gas 24-hour emergency line is 480-5555.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
This section contains important information about smoke alarms – information that could save your
life in the event of a fire. Please read it carefully. This information will help make sure you and your
family are protected in case of a fire, and inform you of your rights and obligations.
Hundreds of people die every year from house fires. Over two-thirds of all fires occur in the home.
Carelessness and untidiness are the most frequent causes of home fires – cigarette smoking, playing
with matches or lighters, electrical wiring, appliances, and flammable materials start fires that can be
If you live in a rental property in Winnipeg, the Residential Tenancies Branch requires that your
property must be equipped with a functioning smoke alarm. Never disable a smoke alarm by
disconnecting it or covering it. It is important to test your smoke alarm on a regular basis, to make
sure it works. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher in your home.
Your landlord has several obligations with respect to smoke alarms. Your landlord must:
Install a smoke alarm in your rental unit. This alarm must be either a hard-wired 120-volt AC powered smoke alarm, or a ten-year lithium-powered smoke alarm acceptable to fire department standards.
Test and clean your smoke alarm at least once a year to make sure it’s working properly.
Re-test the smoke alarm whenever a new tenant moves in.
Show the tenant how to use and test the smoke alarm.
Provide phone numbers for you to call if your smoke alarm isn’t working properly.
Replace a smoke alarm that isn’t working properly within 24-hours of finding out about it.
Report to the City of Winnipeg Fire Prevention Branch if a smoke alarm or other fire safety equipment is tampered with.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
As the Tenant, you also have obligations with respect to smoke alarms. The Tenant must:
Never tamper with a smoke alarm. It’s against the law and you can be charged under the Fire Prevention bylaw, fined up to $1,000 and/or sent to jail for up to six months. Your landlord can give you as little as five days notice to move if you are caught tampering with a smoke alarm.
Tell your landlord immediately if your smoke alarm isn’t working. Write down the date and time that you reported it to your landlord.
Call the Winnipeg Fire Prevention Branch at 986-6358 if your landlord doesn’t repair or replace your smoke alarm within 24-hours of reporting it.
At the time you move in, you will be shown how to test your smoke alarm. If you have questions at any
time about how to test the smoke alarm in your rental unit, please call Kinew.
When you press and hold the test button, the smoke alarm should start and the alarm should sound.
The light on the alarm only means there is power to the alarm – you must press and hold the test
button in order to test. Be sure to test your smoke alarm every month and write down the date you last
tested it.
Ask your landlord to show you how to use the pause, hush or silence button on your alarm, if it has one.
This button allows you to turn off the alarm for a while if you burn toast or your oven is smoking. The
alarm beeps while it is paused and resets after ten minutes.
Keep your family safe by making your home a no-smoking zone. Never leave matches or lighters where
children can find them. Check that appliances are turned off before leaving your home. If you light
candles in your home, never place them near anything flammable, and never leave them unattended for
any amount of time.
Keep stoves clean from grease. If you do encounter a cooking fire, turn off the stove or appliance, and
cover the pan or close the oven. You can pour baking soda on a fire, but never use water to put out a
grease fire – water will spread the flame!
Do not store gas, gas lawnmowers, or propane tanks for gas barbeques in the house. Do not attempt
any electrical work in the house.
Be sure to have a fire escape plan for your family in case of a fire. Make sure your family knows the plan,
and that you practice ‘escaping’ from your home on a regular basis. If you’d like to know more about
home escape plans, or have any other questions about fire prevention, call the Fire Prevention Branch.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
If you want to install a security alarm system in your home, it is your responsibility to cover all costs
related to the security alarm. You must first contact the Kinew office prior to installation, and be able to
provide the alarm company’s name and contact person. A City of Winnipeg Police Department
application must also be completed, and a certificate affixed in a visible place on your front window.
It is your responsibility to inform the office if you have installed an alarm system each time you call in
with a request for repair. Please note that Kinew will not accept responsibility should the alarm system
be accidentally set off during the course of regular maintenance and inspections.
Upon vacating the home, the Tenant will remove the alarm system and restore the unit to its original
It’s a good idea to be alert wherever you are, and learn to recognize crime. When you see or hear
something that might indicate a criminal act is being committed, contact the Winnipeg Police nonemergency number. If you see a crime in progress, do not try to apprehend the criminal yourself. Instead,
call the Winnipeg Police non-emergency number and let them do their job. However, if you witness
someone in immediate danger, call Emergency 911.
Break and enter is one of the most common crimes. The best way to protect your home is to install a
security alarm. You can also keep your home as safe as possible by always locking doors and windows,
and keeping an outside light on at night. When you go out, leave a light on inside your home. You can
also leave a radio or television on to generate some noise inside, giving the impression someone is at
home. If you are away from home for more than one day, have someone collect your mail from the
mailbox. Mail piling up is an obvious sign that you are not at home.
Auto theft is also a very common crime. Protect your car by always keeping doors locked and windows
rolled up, using a steering wheel club, and/or installing an auto security alarm. If you have to park on the
street, try to park in a well-lit area under a streetlight. In winter, do not start your car and leave it
unattended while letting it warm up. Many cars are stolen in winter when they are left running.
Keep items like lawnmowers and bicycles in secure areas, or safely locked up in your yard. Learn to keep
an eye on your neighbours’ property and vehicles as well as your own. Ask your neighbours to do the
same for you.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, never open the door to a stranger. As well, do not give personal
information over the telephone, or reveal who is – or who is not – at home. It’s very important to teach
this to your children, and make sure they understand it is a serious matter.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
The Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act works by holding property owners accountable for
threatening or disturbing activities that regularly take place on their property related to:
Unlawful drug dealing.
Prostitution and related activities.
Unlawful sale of liquor.
Unlawful use or sale of intoxicating substances – non-potable and solvent based products.
The act refers to activities that are ongoing, not those happening occasionally. If you have a neighbour
that is doing any of the above, please notify Kinew.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
As a parent or guardian, one of the best things you can do for your children is help them do well in
school and in life. Children who move often find it hard to do well in school. Frequent moving can hurt
your children’s education, self-esteem, and chances of success. They have a harder time making friends,
participating in school activities, and may even want to drop out of school before graduating.
Children need to feel a sense of belonging, and moving schools can create great anxiety in your
children. In addition, schoolwork can vary from school to school, so moving during the school year may
put your child behind other students in their grade. Children with special needs are especially
susceptible to the effects of moving.
Children do best when they can stay in the same school with the same teachers and friends. If you must
move, consider making moves during the summer months so your children can stay in the same school
for at least one full school year. Or, you might try to find a new home close to your child’s school so they
can stay in the same school.
When giving your notice to vacate, seriously consider the reasons that you are moving. Is there
something that Kinew can do to change your mind? Call the Tenant Liaison and find out.
It’s important for a healthy community spirit to get along with your neighbour – and your neighbour to
get along with you. When you move into your new home, make a point of introducing yourself to your
neighbours. Be friendly and talk to your neighbours when you see them outside or in the hallway.
You will also want to respect your neighbours’ privacy and property. If you have children, teach them
not to go into adjoining yards. Make sure guests do not park in neighbouring parking spots. Always
respect those living around you by keeping your family’s noise to a minimum. Sometimes neighbours do not get along. If this is the case, and you have a dispute with your neighbour,
try to resolve it by talking with your neighbour privately, without children involved – be positive, be respectful, speak calmly and clearly, and be specific about your concern. Ask your neighbour to be specific
about their concern, let them speak without interruption, and be open to hearing their point of view.
Avoid becoming emotional or yelling, using sarcasm, and name-calling. If you are angry, wait until the
emotion goes away before discussing. Try to find a solution that you can both agree upon. If you cannot resolve the problem on your own, call the Kinew office and discuss it with a staff person.
We will do our best to help you find a solution.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Whatever your reason for moving to Winnipeg – school, work or family – there are many resources
and facilities in the city that can help you maintain a good quality of life.
Winnipeg has an extensive and reliable public transit system, with discounts for children, students
and seniors. The bus system route uses names and numbers to show where the bus is going. This
information is displayed on the front, side and back of the bus. This information is also posted on bus
stop signs, so you know which buses stop there. There is also a very effective telebus system that you
can phone to inquire about bus times at your stop.
There are many banks, credit unions and trust companies in Winnipeg, where you can open accounts
to manage your money. There is a wide variety of shopping with competitive pricing – you might
want to “shop around” before making a purchase. In addition, there are many second-hand stores
that sell good used furniture, household items, and clothing.
Winnipeg also has a thriving entertainment and cultural community, with many choices for families
and adults. You can see movies, theatre plays, and music concerts. You can visit art galleries and craft
shops. There are festivals and special events that take place year-round, many of which have free
entertainment for families.
If you have access to the Internet, the City of Winnipeg has a very useful website that can answer
many questions about services and resources available to residents of Winnipeg. Whether you want
to find the fastest transit route, recreational programs for your children, the closest library, or the
name of your City Councilor, you can visit www.winnipeg.ca.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc.
94 McGregor Street
318 Anderson Avenue 925-0349
743 Ellice Avenue
Andrews Street Family Centre
North End Women’s Resource Centre
Oyate Tipi Cumini Yape 589-2218
Rossbrook House
Aboriginal Centre
Manitoba Métis Federation
Salvation Army 946-9101
Christmas Cheer Board 669-5369
Winnipeg Harvest
Winnipeg Crime Stoppers
This is only a partial list of resources, there are many more available. If you need help finding the phone
number of a specific resource, please call Kinew and we’ll do our best to help you.
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing main office for general inquiries and repair requests
Kinew Housing applications and tenant liaison
Kinew Housing after-hours emergency message line Manitoba Hydro – Electricity (www.hydro.mb.ca) Manitoba Hydro – Electricity Emergencies Manitoba Hydro – Natural Gas (www.hydro.mb.ca) Manitoba Hydro – Natural Gas Emergencies City of Winnipeg Waste and Water (www.winnipeg.ca)
Water Meter Readings City of Winnipeg Health Department
Residential Tenancies Branch Employment & Income Assistance (Social Services) Winnipeg Police Non-emergency Winnipeg Fire Prevention Branch Government of Canada – for Notice of Assessment Service Canada OAS & CPP Confirmation Letter
Safer Communities and Neighbourhood Add your own phone numbers below:
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Tenant Information
Name: ____________________________________ Telephone Home: ________________
Address: __________________________________ Work: _______________________
Postal Code: ____________ (use pass key if no one at home ____ yes _____no)
I need repairs in the rental unit rented from Kinew Housing. I believe these repairs are from ordinary
wear and tear, not because of any damages caused by my household or guests. Please repair the
damage properly so that it meets health, building and maintenance and occupancy
standards. Please do the following repairs by ______________________(fill in date, allowing Kinew a
reasonable length of time to do the work).
Have you previously requested these repairs by phone? If so, when: ___________________________
Description of Repairs
_________________________________________ ___________________________
Signature of Tenant Date
Kinew Housing use only:
Formal request received by: 37
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
__________________200___ (date)
I/We, ______________________________________________________ (name) of
___________________________________ (address) advise you that we hereby give
One month written notice that we will vacate the above premises.
We will be moving out on ____________________200____ (date)
Reason for moving:
Forwarding Address____________________________________________________
Signed ______________________________________ (by tenant)
Witness _____________________________________ (adult witness)
Kinew Housing
tenant handbook
Download PDF