ENTRIX Report Template - Portland Public Schools

ENTRIX Report Template - Portland Public Schools
Marysville School
7733 Raymond St
Portland, Multnomah County
Oregon Historic Site Form
LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME
address: 7733 SE Raymond St
apprx.
addrs
vcnty
Portland
historic name: Marysville School
current/
other names: Marysville Elementary School
Multnomah County
Optional Information
assoc addresses:
(former addresses, intersections, etc.)
block nbr:
lot nbr:
tax lot nbr:
township:
range:
section:
1/4:
zip:
location descr:
(remote sites)
PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS
resource type:
height (# stories):
Building
1
elig. evaluation: eligible/significant
primary constr date:
primary orig use:
1921 (c.)
total # eligible resources:
1
total # ineligible resources:
0
NR status:
secondary date:
1925 (c.)
(optional--use for major addns)
(indiv listed only; see
Grouping for hist dist)
NR date listed:
School
orig use comments:
Colonial Revival
prim style comments:
secondary orig use:
primary style:
sec style comments:
secondary style:
primary siding:
Horizontal Board
secondary siding:
Wood:Other/Undefined
plan type:
School (General)
comments/notes:
siding comments:
architect:
Jones, George
builder:
The property contains one resource. The main school building (266A) is eligible for the NRHP. The building is
listed as an HRI Rank II.
GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS
survey project PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
name or other
grouping name
farmstead/cluster name:
Survey & Inventory Project
external site #: 268
(ID# used in city/agency database)
SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY
NR date listed:
ILS survey date:
6/26/2009
RLS survey date:
6/26/2009
Gen File date:
106 Project(s)
South elevation facing north
Printed on: 10/14/2009
Page 1 of 4
Oregon Historic Site Form
Marysville School
7733 Raymond St
Portland, Multnomah County
ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION
(Include expanded description of the building/property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations)
Summary Description
Situated in the Foster-Powell neighborhood of southeast Portland, Marysville Elementary School is located at 7733 SE Raymond Street. The school
facility, oriented on an east-west axis, consists of a U-shaped building (268A) that surrounds a central courtyard. The single story building rests on a
poured concrete foundation. The wings that comprise the Colonial Revival style building are covered with hipped roofs. Cladding consists of
horizontal vinyl siding. Fenestration consists primarily of groups of eight-over-twelve triple hung wood windows. The centrally located entry to the
school is emphasized by an open bed pediment portico supported by four Tuscan columns. A cupola caps the south wing. Additional entries are
located beneath more modest open bed pediment entries flanked by paired Tuscan columns.
Architectural Description
Situated in the Foster-Powell neighborhood of southeast Portland, Marysville Elementary School is located at 7733 SE Raymond Street. The
neighborhood is comprised of primarily single family residences built between 1900-1950 (Sanborn Maps 1924-1928, Sanborn Map updated to
1950). The primary entrance to the school is from the south on SE Raymond Street. Grass and asphalt covered play areas occupy the north portion
of the 5.04-acre parcel.
The school facility, oriented on an east to west axis, consists of a U-shaped building that nearly surrounds a central courtyard. The single story
building rests on a poured concrete foundation. The wings that comprise the Colonial Revival style building are covered with hipped roofs. A
chimney clad in red brick marks the location of the boiler and other facilities in the basement. Cladding consists of horizontal vinyl siding.
Fenestration consists primarily of groups of eight-over-twelve triple hung windows with wood surrounds.
Colonial Revival details are utilized to highlight the multiple entries on each elevation that were designed to provide fire safety for the one story
school. The main entry to the school is centrally located and is sheltered by an open bed pedimented portico, supported by Tuscan columns. A
cupola caps the south wing. Additional entries are located beneath pedimented frontpieces flanked by pairs of Tuscan columns. The corner eaves
are framed in the Classical Revival style.
Entry to the building is through a central lobby flanked by the administrative offices. A U-shaped double loaded corridor connects the various wings
of the building. The auditorium is directly opposite the entry. Two gymnasiums occupy the west and east corners of the central portion of the Ushaped building. Linoleum tiles cover the floors of the corridors. The walls are plaster. Tubular fluorescent light fixtures are suspended from the
acoustic tile ceiling. Wood doors with 6 lights provide access to classrooms.
The classrooms are rectangular or L-shaped with an interior cloakroom for storage. The corner classrooms project from the main mass of the
building to create a larger space. Many classrooms feature original built-in cabinetry, original wood window surrounds, and base and ceiling
moldings. Steam heating is provided to interior spaces from the boilers in the basement of the central wing by a variety of units including cast iron
radiators and metal wall units.
Alterations/Integrity
The original school building consisted of a rectangular wood frame structure was constructed in 1921. In 1925, L-shaped wings were added to the
east and west sides of the school to create the current U-shaped plan. In 1950 a rectangular wing was added to provide a kitchen that served the
adjacent cafeteria/auditorium. More modest changes to the interior have occurred including changes to the lighting (1952), the addition of
acoustical tile in 1952, floor tile replacement in 1983, 1984, window replacement in 1998, and alterations to individual classrooms and spaces
including the office in 1987 and the library/media center in 1989 (Marysville Facility Profile).
Marysville School retains its integrity. Much of the original fabric and Colonial Revival details are intact. The 1920s additions followed the original
unit plan design, providing a good example of the single story school unit design utilized by the Portland Public Schools in the early twentieth century.
HISTORY
(Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [preferably to the present])
Printed on: 10/14/2009
Page 2 of 4
Marysville School
7733 Raymond St
Portland, Multnomah County
Oregon Historic Site Form
Statement of Significance
Built in 1921, Marysville Elementary School was constructed during a period of Progressive Era growth that responded to changing city
demographics and ideas concerning safety, sanitation, and child centered instruction (Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135-153; Cubberley 1915:
283-290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school-age children outstripped the district’s existing classroom capacity
and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring (Cubberley 1915: 283-285, 288290).
Portland Public Schools (PPS) District Architect, George Jones with assistance from George Edmonstone, designed Marysville Middle School. George
Jones was one of the most influential district architects. Jones along with Floyd Naramore designed a large majority of the schools between 1908
and 1932. Beginning in 1908, with the emergence of the Bureau of Properties, PPS district architects took on a more formalized role in the design
and maintenance of school facilities. The Bureau of Properties was created by PPS to centralize management of the district’s properties (Powers and
Corning 1937: 182).
George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of Building for the district. The son of Thomas J.
Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College
for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U.S.
Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed
the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District.
In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing
buildings. Following his tenure with the Portland Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established
the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and
Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the
Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis (Ritz 2003: 217).
For Marysville Elementary School, Jones adopted the building program and principles that dominated the discourse for school design during the first
half of the twentieth century. After several well-publicized school fires in U.S. cities, calls for a more fundamental change in the building construction
began as early as 1906 (Oregonian, 10-31-1906). By August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed
after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fire proof construction (Powers and Corning 1937: 183). Many of Portland’s new “fire proof” buildings
were constructed of brick and concrete; however, Marysville Elementary School, constructed of wood and metal, adopted a different approach to
economical schools that still ensured its students’ safety. The school, not unlike the Kennedy School, typified the single-story U-shaped school plans
that were seen as an exemplar of school design that facilitated rapid building egress (The Evening Telegram, 11-03-1915). These new buildings
were often constructed in units (sometimes referred to as extensible schools) and contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized uses
(Powers and Corning 1937: 182).
In 1921 Portland Public Schools acquired the site at 7773 SE Raymond Street for $9,950.00. The school takes its name from the surrounding
subdivision, platted in 1881 by William Kern (Snyder 1979: 240). The first building unit was constructed in 1921 for $62, 216.00. In 1925, the 2nd
and 3rd building units were added to the school for $ 111, 305.00. These L-shaped wings were added to the east and west sides of the school to
create the current U-shaped plan (Portland Chronology Binder).
In 1950 a rectangular wing was added to provide a kitchen that served the adjacent cafeteria/auditorium. More modest changes to the interior have
occurred including changes to the lighting (1952), the addition of acoustical tile in 1952, floor tile replacement in 1983 and 1984, and window
replacement in 1998. Individual classrooms, offices (1987), and the library (1989) have also been altered over time to accommodate growth and
new teaching practices (Facility Profile).
Marysville Elementary School was constructed in the Colonial Revival style that was popular for educational buildings during the first half of the
twentieth-century in Portland and throughout the United States. The Colonial Revival style architectural details, along with Classical Revival,
Collegiate Gothic, and Beaux Arts style, were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings (Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66;
Patton 1967: 1-8).
Marysville Elementary School retains excellent integrity (of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association) with its plan
and exterior and interior finishes. The 1922 Colonial Revival school building is recommended as eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
(NRHP) for its association with Progressive Era public school construction in Portland (Criterion A). The school complex was built during the PPS
program of progressive era construction and is a strong example of the principles that characterized the design of schools during this era; therefore,
it is eligible for listing in the NRHP under Criterion A. Marysville Elementary School is also an excellent example of the single-story Colonial Revival
school buildings that were constructed during the early-twentieth century and a good example of the work of George Jones for the Portland Public
Schools and is eligible for listing in the NRHP under Criterion C.
RESEARCH INFORMATION
(Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources)
Title Records
Census Records
Property Tax Records
Local Histories
Sanborn Maps
Biographical Sources
SHPO Files
Interviews
Obituaries
Newspapers
State Archives
Historic Photographs
City Directories
Building Permits
State Library
Printed on: 10/14/2009
Page 3 of 4
Marysville School
7733 Raymond St
Portland, Multnomah County
Oregon Historic Site Form
Local Library:
Multnomah County Library
Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society
University Library:
Portland State University Library
Other Repository:
PPS Archives
Bibliography: Bibliography
Betelle, James O. “Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings.” American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 (April 1919).
Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876-1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961.
Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkerson-Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915.
Oregonian. “Mayor Lane and the Schools.” 10-31-1906.
Patton, Glenn. “American Collegiate Gothic: A Phase of University Architectural Development.” Journal of Higher Education. Vol. 38,
No. 1 (January, 1967).
Portland Public Schools. School Chronology Binder. PPS Archives, Portland, Oregon.
_______. Marysville Elementary School. Facility Profile.
Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937.
Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997.
Sanborn Map Company
1924-1928, 1908-Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at:
https://catalog.multcolib.org/validate?url=http%3A%2F%2F0-sanborn.umi.com.catalog.multcolib.org%3A80%2F. Accessed June 16,
2009.
Sibley, Ernest. “Why I Prefer the Colonial Style.” School Board Journal: Vol. 66 (January 1923).
Snyder, Eugene E. Portland Names and Neighborhoods. Their Historic Origins. Portland: Binforrd & Mort Publishing; 1st edition 1979.
Printed on: 10/14/2009
Page 4 of 4
South elevation facing north
West elevation facing east
North elevation
Facing south showing additions on north
side
East elevation
Marysville School
Exterior Photos
ENTRIX 2009
Corridor facing west showing original
doors
Entry facing south showing newer wood
paneling
Auditorium facing north
Classroom built-ins
Gymnasium facing north
Marysville School
Interior Photos
ENTRIX 2009
1924-1928, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1140. Arrow
points to Marysville School.
Updated to 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1140.
Arrow points to Marysville School. Note street name changes and extent of school
expansion.
Marysville School
7733 SE Raymond St, Portland OR, 97206
2
SE 77th Ave
2
1
3
2
1
SE Raymond St
bar
Historical Significance
and Building Integrity
ds
t
n
sa
Building Periods
1. Original Building (266A), 1921
Contrib: High Significance
d
lv
B
dy
2. Classroom Addition (266A), 1925
Contrib: Moderate Signif.
82nd ave
MLK jr blvd
Lom
3. Addition (266A), 1950
Non-Contributing
powell Blvd
N
0’
50’
100’
Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR
2009 photograph of the front entrance to the
Marysville School.
Imagery Date: July 12, 2007
View Site in Google Maps
200’
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF

advertising