J400-1371 TEK 1.0L Quick Start.indd
SEE IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION IN YOUR OPERATING GUIDE! READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL SAFETY INFORMATION BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
The SportDOG Brand ® TEK ™ Series Location System has been proven safe, comfortable and effective for all dogs over 8 pounds. Consistent, correct use of this product allows you to track your dog from up to 7 miles. The handheld device receives your location from its built-in GPS antenna and receives location updates from the antenna mounted on the GPS collar to track the location of your dog.
IMPORTANT: The TEK SERIES Location System has a range of up
to 7 miles. Depending on the way you hold the handheld device, the maximum range may vary. For consistent results at longer ranges, hold the handheld device in a vertical position away from your body and above your head. Terrain, weather, vegetation, transmissions from other radio devices, and other factors will affect the maximum range.
SERIES LOCATION SYSTEM CONTAINS:
• Handheld Device, GPS Collar, Wall Charger • Lanyard • Operating Guide STEP :: 01
CHARGING THE BATTERIES
FIRST THINGS FIRST, the TEK Location System. ™ SERIES Location System needs its batteries charged before you can use it. While your system is charging, read the entire operating guide to become familiar with your TEK SERIES
NOTE: Approximate battery life between charges is 20 hours, depending on the frequency of use.
TO CHARGE THE HANDHELD DEVICE:
1. Lift the rubber cover protecting the charging jack. 2. Connect one of the charger connectors to the charging jack.
3. Plug the charger into a standard 120/240-volt AC wall outlet. 4. Charge the handheld device for 2 hours. It is not harmful to let the unit charge more than 2 hours.
5. When charging is complete, indicated by a full green battery on the screen, replace the rubber cover.
TO CHARGE THE GPS COLLAR:
1. Lift the rubber cover protecting the charging jack located on the bottom of the GPS collar next to the On/Off button. 2. Connect one of the charger connectors to the charging jack.
3. Plug the charger into a standard 120/240-volt AC wall outlet. 4. Charge the GPS collar for 2 hours. It is not harmful to let the unit charge more than 2 hours.
5. When charging is complete, indicated by the GPS Indicator Light blinking green, replace the rubber cover. STEP :: 02
TURNING THE TEK
SERIES COMPONENTS ON AND OFF
TO TURN THE HANDHELD DEVICE ON:
On the top of the unit, fi rmly press and release the On/Off button. The start-up screen will display.
TO TURN THE HANDHELD DEVICE OFF:
Firmly press and hold the On/Off button until the display goes black.
TO TURN THE GPS COLLAR ON:
Press and release the On/Off button when the GPS Indicator Light comes on green. The GPS collar will beep 1 to 5 times indicating which channel the collar is on, and the GPS Indicator Light will double blink every 3 seconds until GPS lock has been achieved. Once the GPS collar has a lock, the GPS Indicator Light will single blink every 3 seconds.
NOTE: To acquire GPS signal lock, go outdoors to an open area with a clear view of the sky. To get a good quality GPS lock, it is important that you wait until you are outdoors before turning your handheld device and GPS collar on. The “Waiting For Lock” message will display until a good GPS lock is acquired.
TO TURN THE GPS COLLAR OFF:
Press and hold the On/Off button until the GPS Indicator Light comes on solid red and the GPS collar beeps for 2 seconds. To extend the battery life between charging cycles, turn off the GPS collar when it is not in use.
(CONTINUED ON BACK)
STEP :: 03
CALIBRATING THE COMPASS
NOTE: Always calibrate the compass outdoors. Hold the compass level and away from objects that may generate magnetic fi elds, such as cars or buildings.
1. From the main menu, select
COMPASS > CALIBRATE. The compass
screen appears. 2. Rotate the handheld device 2-3 times in all three dimensions as shown below. Rotate until the black indicators are as close as possible to the center of the green zone. If successful, your handheld device will beep and vibrate, as well as, display a message that says your “CALABRATION DATA HAS BEEN UPDATED SUCCESSFULLY.”
NOTE: If you are unable to get the compass to automatically update your calibration data, follow the remaining steps.
3. Rotate until the black indicators are as close as possible to the green zone and press the Menu Selection Pad to continue. 4. At the prompt “DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THE NEW CALIBRATION DATA?” press the arrow keys to select
BACK (top-right button on the handheld) to return to the main
NOTE: To set your magnetic declination angle to avoid inaccurate compass readings, refer to your operating guide.
STEP :: 04
PAIRING THE GPS COLLAR TO THE HANDHELD DEVICE
Your system will already be paired when you get it, but in the event you need to pair the handheld device to the GPS collar, follow the steps outlined in Step 3 of your operating guide. STEP :: 05
ADD YOUR DOG
The TEK ™ SERIES Location System allows you to track up to 12 dogs wearing GPS collars. After the collars have been paired to the handheld device, you must add the dogs to the system. You must repeat this procedure below for each dog that you want to work with the system. 1. From the main menu, select
SETTINGS > MY DOGS > ADD A DOG. A
DOG n appears where n is the next available number
of the dog.
2. To enter the dog’s name, select
CHANGE NAME. A text entry screen
Clr and press ENTER (bottom-right button on
handheld) to clear the name. Use the arrow keys to select letters to enter a new name. Select to complete the new name. 3. Assign a collar to this dog by selecting paired collars.
COLLAR. Use the arrow keys
to select the color matching the desired collar from the previously 4. Once a collar is assigned to the new dog, you are ready to track this dog. Press
BACK (top-right button on handheld) to return to the main
STEP :: 06
FIT THE GPS COLLAR
Put the collar around your dog’s neck and adjust to fi nd the proper fi t, making sure the GPS antenna is at the back of your dog’s neck for best reception. Fasten the collar so the fi t is snug; yet loose enough to allow one fi nger to fi t between the strap and the dog’s neck. Fit is important because a loose collar may cause inconsistent performance.
At this point, your TEK ™ SERIES Location System is ready for fi eld use. ©2011 RADIO SYSTEMS ® CORPORATION 10427 Electric Avenue • Knoxville, TN 37932 • 1-800-732-0144 SPORTDOG.COM/TEK
* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project