Living Room Safety
Fires & Burns:
tv & furnIture tIP-overs:
Use brackets and straps to keep your TV in place.
Televisions are getting larger and flatter, which makes
them easy to tip.
Place a sturdy screen in front of all fireplaces; install
barriers around space heaters.
Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything
that can burn. Monitor children and pets when using
the space heater, and be sure to turn off the space
heater when you leave the room.
Mount flat screen TVs to the wall, if possible.
If you have a CRT-model TV (the kind that
looks like a giant box), make sure it's secure
too. Just because they're heavier doesn't mean
they can't tip over.
If you have a fireplace, use seasoned hardwood, such
as oak, ash or maple, and be sure to have your
fireplace inspected and cleaned once a year.
Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure heavy
furniture, like entertainment centers, bookshelves, or
desks, to the wall.
Never leave burning candles unattended, and be sure
to put out all candles before going to bed.
Remove all novelty lighters, or any lighters that look
like toys.
Install stops on drawers so your kids can't pull them
all the way out when they're looking through their
stuff.
Store matches, lighters and other flammable
materials in a safe place, or high up out of children’s
reach and sight. Teach them to never play with these
things.
Place heavier items on lower shelves or drawers, to
make the furniture more stable.
Place fun items, such as TV remotes, food or toys, in
places where kids won’t be tempted to climb up or
reach for them.
Avoid over-plugging. Too many appliance cords in
one electrical outlet can cause a fire. Cover all unused
outlets with outlet covers.
Electrical cords from TVs, DVD players and video
games are easy to trip over. Keep them out of the way,
and wrap long cords that are plugged in all the time
around a cord shortener.
1/2
Download The MAKE SAFE HAPPEN APP
Developed in partnership with the safety experts at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, the app helps you make
your home safer. Get room-by-room safety checklists, link to recommended products, and set reminders.
Content developed in association with:
Choking and Poisoning:
Falls:
Get on your hands and knees and look around the
room. Find and remove any small items, like coins,
water bottle caps, button batteries and building set
parts that are within your child’s reach, and can be a
choking risk.
Make sure carpets and runners are secure. Use rugs
with non-slip backs, or if that’s not possible, use nonslip rug pads.
Move all furniture and toys away from windows and
window cords.
Floors that are wood, or have been recently cleaned, are
slippery, so use non-skid wax or polish on your floors.
Keep floors clear of toys, clutter and spills.
In Case of an Emergency:
Make sure your children’s toys are appropriate for their
age, by checking the manufacturer’s recommendation.
Put the Poison Control Center number (1-800-222-1222)
and other emergency numbers into your home and
cell phones, and in a highly visible place (like the
refrigerator door) where all caregivers can see it.
Remove or store any toys that have small parts or
magnets that could become dislodged. An item is small
enough to get stuck in your child’s throat if you can
drop it through a toilet paper tube. That’s your signal to
keep that toy or game away from your child. You can
also purchase choke test tubes made specifically for
this purpose.
Do not allow children under 8 to play with balloons, or
with toys that have sharp edges, long strings or cords.
Make sure to put guests’ purses and coats up and out of
children’s reach, so they don’t get into anything that the
shouldn’t (medicines, button batteries, and other small
objects).
Button batteries can easily fall out or be pulled out of
things like greeting cards, remotes, and key fobs. Make
sure to secure all battery compartments.
Adults put e-cigarettes in their mouths, so kids may try
to as well. Store e-cigarettes, refills and cartridges out of
children's reach.
While hand sanitizer keeps kids germfree, it can also be
toxic if it gets in their mouths. Teach kids the smart
and safe way to use hand sanitizer.
2/2
Download The MAKE SAFE HAPPEN APP
Developed in partnership with the safety experts at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, the app helps you make
your home safer. Get room-by-room safety checklists, link to recommended products, and set reminders.
Content developed in association with: