Canon SELPHY CP520 User manual
p. 2 p. 3 step
Printer to Your
This guide describes the basic and advanced operations of your SELPHY printer in easy to understand terms.
Basic operation is simple! Just three steps: 1. Unpack,
2. Prepare, 3. Print.
Check that the following items are supplied with your purchase.
Main Printer Unit Compact Power
Printer Solution Disk
Starter Paper Pack
Starter Ink Cassette
Component Names and Functions
Retractable USB Cable for
Blue: (Power On) Standing By
Blinking Blue: Printing
Red/Blinking Red: Error
Paper Cassette Slot
Paper Cassette Slot Cover
Ink Cassette Compartment
Ink Cassette Compartment Cover
Paper Ejection Slot
USB Connector for Computers
USB Connector for Cameras
DC IN Terminal (Power Connector)
In this step you will insert the ink and paper cassette to prepare for printing.
Install the ink cassette.
Open the ink cassette compartment cover on the printer.
Insert the starter ink cassette into the printer until it clicks firmly into place and close the cover.
Place paper into the paper cassette.
Slide the lid of the paper cassette back until it comes to a stop.
While firmly holding the paper cassette, lift the lid upward.
Insert the paper into the paper cassette with the shiny side facing up.
Align the paper beneath the tabs.
For postcard size paper, the address portion on the bottom face should be oriented toward the tabs.
Slide the lid of the paper cassette back until it comes to a stop.
Close the lid until it clicks shut.
The lid is slanted.
Install the paper cassette into the printer.
Open the paper cassette slot cover.
Insert the paper cassette into the printer all the way.
Paper visible through opening
Attach the power cord.
Plug the power cord into the compact power adapter, and then the plug into a power outlet.
Attach the compact power adapter connector to the printer’s DC IN terminal.
The printer turns on and the indicator lights blue.
DC IN terminal
Turning Off the Printer
Detach the compact power adapter connector of the from the printer. The indicator will turn off.
Do not insert or remove the paper cassette just after turning on the printer or while printing. This could cause problems with the printer.
Can I use general printer paper or postcards?
No. Always use paper specific to SELPHY CP series printers included in the genuine Canon brand “Color Ink/Paper Sets”. Paper sets specific to SELPHY ES series cannot be used.
How can I use Card Size or Wide Size paper cassettes?
Card Size and Wide Size paper cassettes are shaped a little differently from the
Postcard Size and L Size paper cassette. Open the outer lid and inner lid, and set the paper into the cassette. Close only the inner lid and insert the paper cassette into the printer.
Printing by Connecting Your Camera
If your Canon digital camera has a (Print/Share) button, you can connect the camera to the printer for easy printing.
Pull the cable out of the printer and attach it to the camera’s DIGITAL terminal.
Extends up to 30 cm (12 in.)
Retracting the Cable
Lightly pull on the cable, then while holding the cable let it retract into the printer.
Turn the camera on and prepare the camera to play back images.
Select an image on the camera’s LCD monitor and press the (Print/
Non-Canon brand cameras that are compliant with PictBridge can also be used. If the connector on the cable does not fit your camera’s terminal, use the
USB cable supplied with your camera.
Refer to your camera’s operation manual for further details.
Printing from Mobile Telephones
If you use a mobile telephone that supports the Bluetooth protocol, you can print wirelessly with the separately sold Bluetooth Unit BU-20.
Up to approx. 10 m (32.8 ft.)
Bluetooth Unit (sold separately)
Connecting the Printer to
Installing the Printer Driver
The following explains the installation procedure for Windows.
• Do not connect the printer to the computer yet.
• You must login to the computer as an administrator before beginning installation.
Place the supplied Compact Photo Printer Solution Disk into the computer’s
In addition, double-click the (CPSD Installer) icon in the CD-ROM window.
Click [SELPHY CP520] in the printer driver window.
In addition, click [Agree], select [Easy Install], followed by
Follow the onscreen instructions.
When you are prompted to attach the printer, attach the printer to the computer.
Restart the computer when prompted. After restarting the computer, attach the printer to the computer.
Commercially available USB Cable
USB Cable Connector for Computers
Click the [Finished] or [Restart] button when it appears.
This completes the driver installation.
Open the [Utilities] folder on the start-up disk and doubleclick the [Printer Settings Utility] icon. Click [Add (Printer)] and select [USB] followed by your printer. Finish by clicking the [Add] button and closing the window. This completes the driver installation.
Installing the Application Software
Place the supplied “Compact Photo Printer
Solution Disk” CD-ROM into the computer’s drive. Click [Easy Installation] to install the application software.
Click [Install] to install the application software.
A versatile program capable of printing various layouts in a few simple steps.
In addition to printing images, this multifunction program is capable of managing, displaying, editing and exporting images.
A multifunction program capable of printing, managing, displaying, editing and exporting images.
Specify the number of copies here.
Click here to select a print setting.
Leave it to PhotoStitch to create panoramic images!
A program that takes multiple images shot using features such as the camera’s Stitch Assist mode and merges them into a single panoramic image.
You can create dynamic panoramas if you print the merged images on Wide size sheets.
Windows: When using ZoomBrowser EX, click [Edit] and select [Create Panoramas] to activate PhotoStitch.
Macintosh: When using ImageBrowser, select [PhotoStitch] in the [Edit] menu to activate
Separately Sold Items
Expand the capabilities of your SELPHY printer by using separately sold items.
Some items are not sold in some regions.
18-sheet package (Full-page labels)
18-sheet package (8-label sheets)
Color Ink/Paper Set KP-36IP
Color Ink/Paper Set KP-72IP
Color Ink/Paper Set KP-108IP
Paper Cassette PCP-CP200
Color Ink/Paper Set KC-36IP
Color Ink/Full-Size Label Set KC-18IF
Color Ink/Label Set KC-18IL
Paper Cassette PCC-CP100
Color Ink/Paper Set KL-36IP
Paper Cassette PCL-CP200
Color Ink/Paper Set KW-24IP
Paper Cassette PCW-CP100
Bluetooth Unit Bluetooth Unit BU-20
• Use a paper cassette and ink cassette specific to SELPHY CP series printers. (Do not use ES series paper and ink cassettes.)
• Do not print on printed paper.
Match Paper Stocks, Paper Cassettes and Ink Cassettes
The printer will not print correctly if you mismatch paper stocks to paper cassettes or ink cassettes.
Paper Cassette Ink Cassette
Maintenance, Storage and
This section explains how to maintain, store and transport the printer.
If fine stripes appear on printed images, there is a possibility that dirt or dust has become lodged inside the printer. Use the supplied cleaner to remove the dirt or dust.
Slide the cleaner in and out 2 or 3 times.
1. Remove the ink cassette.
2. Insert the cleaner with the arrow side upward all the way into the slot, then remove it, repeating this two or three times.
Wipe the exterior with a soft, dry cloth.
Never apply solvents, such as benzine or thinners, or detergent to the printer.
These substances may damage the exterior or peel the finish.
Care of the Back
Clean any dust from the air vents on the back. Dust will get on the ink sheet if it enters from the air vents, preventing the printer from printing cleanly. If dust becomes lodged on the ink sheet, use a blower brush to remove it so that you do not touch the ink sheet.
•Detach the power cord of the compact power adapter and from the power outlet.
•Remove the paper and ink cassettes from the printer for storage. Store the paper cassettes with the lids closed. Remove the sheets of paper, place them into their bag and replace them in their box, storing them flat.
Store the ink cassette in a bag so that dust does not get on it.
•Store the printer flat so that dust does not enter into it.
If you must store it vertically, please orient it in this position.
•Remove the paper and ink cassettes and close the covers.
•Transport the printer wrapped in a soft cloth to avoid scratching it. Dust entering the printer may prevent it from printing cleanly.
Solutions for when you cannot print as expected, or think the printer is not operating properly.
Power will not turn on…
Check the compact power adapter, the main printer unit, and the power cord to ensure they are correctly connected.
Check that ink sheets are remaining. SELPHY printers cannot print more than the number of prints indicated on the color ink/paper set packages. The starter ink cassette can be used to print 5 sheets.
Is the printer power on?
Do not connect the camera and computer at the same time.
Has paper been set in the paper cassette? Is the paper cassette inserted all the way in?
Is the ink cassette inserted all the way in?
Is the ink sheet slack?
Are you using the correct paper?
Were the perforated portions of the paper folded over or separated before printing?
The printer will temporarily stop when it exceeds a certain temperature. This is not a malfunction. Wait until the temperature drops and the printer resumes.
The following may cause overheating.
• Continuous printing
• High ambient temperature
• Vent on rear of printer has been obstructed, raising the internal temperature of the printer.
If you are connected to computer, a message will appear on your computer display but you should wait until printing resumes without cancelling the print.
Printing from Cameras
• Recheck the camera and printer connection status.
• If you are using a Canon-brand camera, is the firmware of the camera supported by the printer?
• Does the camera battery have a sufficient charge? Replace the battery with a fully charged or new battery, or use the compact power adapter for the camera.
Printing from Computers
• Did you install the printer driver according to correct procedure?
• Is the printer connected directly to a port on the computer with a USB cable? The printer may not operate correctly if it is connected to a computer via a USB hub.
• A USB cable for connecting the printer to a computer is not supplied with the product. Please use a commercially available USB cable.
Problems Specific to Windows
• Is the printer set to offline? Right-click the printer icon and cancel the offline setting.
Problems Specific to Macintosh
• Is the printer registered on the Printer List?
Cannot print a particular image
Image data may be corrupted.
Only JPEG images can be printed.
Images sizes in excess of 8000 x 6000 pixels cannot be printed.
Cannot print cleanly…
Did you set paper specific to SELPHY CP series printers in the cassette with the shiny side upward as required?
• If the ink sheet becomes dusty, blow it clean with a blower brush or similar device.
• If narrow stripes appear, remove the ink cassette and slide the supplied cleaner in and out two or three times to clean the interior of the printer
Has condensation formed within the printer?
• Leave it to dry at room temperature for a while.
Experiencing numerous paper jams…
Place 18 or fewer sheets of paper in the paper cassette (12 or fewer for Wide size sheets). Moreover, do not place more than 9 sheets of printed paper on top of the paper cassette.
Is the paper folded or bent?
Can’t print the specified number of prints. Paper is left over.
The following actions waste ink sheet capacity.
• Repeatedly turning the printer on/off without printing.
• Cancel printing while printing is in progress.
• Pulling on the ink sheet.
• While printing multiple copies, removing the ink cassette when the paper has run out.
(Do not remove the ink cassette when removing and refilling the paper cassette.)
The indicator is blinking red.
Momentarily disconnect the compact power adapter, then reconnect it.
The printer’s indicator is red but no error message has appeared on the camera’s LCD monitor
A malfunction occurred during printing.
Remove the paper from the main unit and take up the slack in the ink sheet.
Momentarily disconnect the compact power adapter, then reconnect it.
Colors on the computer display are different from the printed colors
Color generation methods are different for computer displays and printers.
Moreover, the variance may be attributable to the environment in which the display is viewed (color and strength of the light) or to the display’s color adjustment settings.
• You can adjust the colors and brightness in the Printer Properties dialog. In the [Tools] menu of ZoomBrowser EX, select [Preferences] followed by the [Printing] tab. Then place a check mark beside [Use ZoomBrowser EX print function]. In the Print dialog, click the [Properties] button and adjust the colors from the [Image Adjustment] tab.
• Adjust the color balance in the [Color] section.
After using the computer to cancel a print in progress, an image that had already been printed was printed again when I resumed printing.
When you restart printing after cancelling on a Macintosh, an already printed image may be printed again when printing resumes.
• Use this equipment correctly according to the following precautions to avoid the risk of injury, fire, electrical shock, malfunctions and other hazards. Equipment refers to the printer, compact power adapter, ink cassette, paper cassette, or paper.
• Do not play the supplied CD-ROM(s) in any CD player that does not support data CD-
ROMs. Playing the CD-ROM(s) in an audio CD player (music player) could damage the speakers. It is also possible to suffer from hearing loss from listening with headphones to the loud sounds of a CD-ROM played on a music CD player.
• Store the equipment in a place where it cannot be reached by children.
• Do not disassemble or modify the equipment.
• If the equipment is dropped or the casing becomes damaged, do not continue operation.
• Stop operating the equipment immediately if it emits smoke or noxious fumes.
• Do not allow water or other liquids to enter the interior of the equipment.
If the equipment is subjected to water droplets or damp salty air, gently wipe it with a soft, absorbent cloth.
• Do not insert or drop metallic objects or flammable substances into the equipment interior. Immediately unplug the compact power adapter from the printer and remove the power cord from the electrical outlet before attempting to remove the object or substance.
• Do not touch metal parts of the equipment or the power plug during thunderstorms.
Immediately stop using the equipment and distance yourself from it.
• Do not use flammable solvents such as alcohol, benzine, or paint thinner to clean the equipment.
• Do not rest heavy objects on the power cord or plug, pull on it with excessive force or damage it.
• Do not use a power adapter other than the compact power adapter specified for this product.
• Remove the power cord on a regular periodic basis and wipe away the dust and dirt that collects on the plug, the exterior of the power outlet and the surrounding area.
• Do not handle the power cord if your hands are wet.
• Do not stick any part of your hand into the printer interior.
• Do not use or store the equipment in the following types of places.
Humid or dusty areas, places subject to heavy vibrations, places near flames, places subject to strong sunlight, or hot places such as an automobile trunk or dashboard.
• Do not attach metallic pins or allow dirt to collect on the power plug or recharging connectors.
• Do not use the compact power adapter for any other equipment except this printer, use it beyond its rated capacity or voltage, or leave the plug partially inserted into a power outlet.
• Remove the compact power adapter power cord from the power outlet when not using the printer.
Leaving it plugged in for long periods of time may pose the risk of heat generation or deformation.
• Do not remove the paper cassette from the printer while printing is in progress.
To Prevent Malfunctions and Damage Caused by Electromagnetic Fields
• Never position the equipment close to motors to other devices that generate strong electromagnetic fields. Moreover, do not use it near televisions or AM radios.
To Prevent Condensation
• You can avoid condensation by placing the equipment in an airtight, resealable plastic bag and letting it adjust to temperature changes slowly before removing it from the bag.
In the event that condensation does form within the equipment, keep it at room temperature until the water droplets evaporate naturally before using it.
This section explains the precautions that you should take in handling the equipment.
• Do not apply excessive force to the paper cassette.
Force or impact on the cassette may result in paper jams or equipment damage.
• Do not switch the power on/off repeatedly when you do not intend to print.
The printer initialization process consumes ink and the equivalent of several pages could be wasted.
• Be careful not to spray the equipment with insecticides or volatile substances. In addition, do not store the equipment in contact with rubber or vinyl products for long periods of time.
These materials may cause deformation of the printer’s casing.
• Do not handle the ink cassettes with wet or sweaty hands.
• Do not touch the springs of the paper cassette. If the springs are bent or deformed, paper will not feed correctly into the printer.
• Do not place any foreign objects in the print output receptacle (on the top of the paper cassette).
• Do not touch the print side of the paper with your fingers.
Always hold the paper along the edges (outside the perforated border).
Be sure that hands are dry before touching the paper. Sharp objects will scratch the paper surface. Keep the paper surface free from fingerprints, dust, water droplets, etc.
• Use a non-soluble ink pen to write on the paper sheets.
• Please avoid the following actions as they may result in color change, color fading or color bleeding.
- Sticking any type of adhesive tape onto the print surface.
- Allowing print surfaces to come into contact with vinyl or plastic materials.
- Applying alcohol or other volatile solvents to the print surface.
- Leaving print surfaces tightly pressed against any other surfaces or objects for prolonged periods.
Compact Photo Printer SELPHY CP520
All data is measured according to standard Canon testing procedures.
We reserve the right to change specifications without notice.
Postcard Size (4 x 6 in.)
Wide Size (4 x 8 in.)
(Connected to Cameras*):
Dye-sublimation thermal transfer (with overcoating)
300 x 300 dpi
256 shades per color
Dedicated ink cassette (Y/M/C/overcoating)
Postcard size, L size, card size (full page label sheets,
8-label sheets), wide size
100.0 x 148.0 mm (3.94 x 5.83 in.) 91.4 x 121.9 mm (3.60 x 4.80 in.)
89.0 x 119.0 mm (3.50 x 4.69 in.) 79.2 x 105.3 mm (3.12 x 4.15 in.)
54.0 x 86.0 mm (2.13 x 3.39 in.) 50.0 x 66.7 mm (1.97 x 2.63 in.)
22.0 x 17.3 mm (0.87 x 0.68 in.)
(per 8-label sheet)
100.0 x 200.0 mm (3.94 x 7.87 in.) 91.4 x 121.9 mm (3.60 x 4.80 in.)
(The print area may vary according to the camera model used.)
Postcard Size: Approx. 58 sec., L Size: Approx. 50 sec.,
Card Size: Approx. 31 sec., Wide Size: Approx. 1 min. 13 sec.
Automatic paper feed from paper cassette
Automatic paper ejection on top of paper cassette
Connecting to a Canon Direct Print compliant camera/Pictbridge compliant devices:
USB compliant Type A connector, Retractable USB cable*
* Mini-B plug, 30 cm (12 in.)
Connecting to a PC: USB compliant Type B connector
Bluetooth Unit BU-20 required (sold separately)
Device compatibility: Built-in Bluetooth and support for OPP
(Object Push Profile) or BIP (Basic Imaging Profile)
5° – 40°C (41° – 104°F)
20 – 80%
Compact Power Adapter CA-CP200
60 W or less (4 W or less on standby)
Dimensions: 179.0 x 127.1 x 63.0 mm (7.05 x 5.00 x 2.48 in.)
Weight (Printer only):
Approx. 915 g (32.3 oz.)
When connected to a Canon compact digital camera with built-in DIGIC III. Printing speeds may vary with other cameras. In addition, these figures were derived using standard Canon testing procedures and may vary according to usage conditions.
Compact Power Adapter CA-CP200
100 – 240 V AC (50/60 Hz)
117 – 150VA
1.5 A (100 V) – 0.75 A (240 V)
24 V DC, 2.2 A
0° – 45°C (32° – 113°F)
122.0 x 60.0 x 30.5 mm (4.80 x 2.36 x 1.20 in.)
(excluding power cord)
Approx. 310 g (10.9 oz.)
• Windows, Windows Vista and the Windows Vista logo are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• Macintosh, the Mac logo, Quick Time and the QuickTime logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• Portions of the code used in this firmware are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
• No part of this guide may be reproduced, transmitted, transcribed, stored in a retrieval system, or translated into any language in any form, by any means, without the prior written permission of Canon.
• While every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in this guide is accurate and complete, no liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions. Canon reserves the right to change the specifications of the hardware and software described herein at any time without prior notice.
• Canon makes no warranties for damages resulting from corrupted or lost data due to a mistaken operation or malfunction of the camera, the printer, the software, the memory cards, personal computers, peripheral devices, or use of non-Canon memory cards.
European Union (and EEA) only.
This symbol indicates that this product is not to be disposed of with your household waste, according to the WEEE Directive (2002/96/EC) and your national law. This product should be handed over to a designated collection point, e.g., on an authorized one-for-one basis when you buy a new similar product or to an authorized collection site for recycling waste electrical and electronic equipment (EEE). Improper handling of this type of waste could have a possible negative impact on the environment and human health due to potentially hazardous substances that are generally associated with EEE. At the same time, your cooperation in the correct disposal of this product will contribute to the effective usage of natural resources. For more information about where you can drop off your waste equipment for recycling, please contact your local city office, waste authority, approved WEEE scheme or your household waste disposal service.
For more information regarding return and recycling of WEEE products, please visit www.canon-europe.com/environment.
(EEA: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)
PRINTED IN THE EU © 2007 CANON INC
* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project