Coffee Shop - Harrison County, INDIANA, Health Department

Avoid costly mistakes!
Prior to construction, remodeling, or change in
type of food establishment, plan approval is
needed from the Health Department.
Hot water run through ground coffee
beans. It’s a simple thing… or is it? In terms of health
codes, a coffee shop is almost as involved as a full
fledged restaurant.
Various city and county departments must give
approval before a coffee shop is given a license to
Here are some questions to ask before signing a lease
or buying an existing facility:
 Have you contacted the town or county plan
commission, building inspectors, or town hall about
any proposed construction?
 Is the wiring, plumbing and physical structure
suitable for the demands of a coffee shop?
 Will you need handicap accessibility? (ramps, wide
doorways, handrails)
 Will a fire suppression system or sprinklers be
required? How about fire extinguishers?
 Does your equipment meet current health code
[National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) standards]?
 How many restrooms will you need?
The Indiana State
Department of
Health’s food code,
Retail Food
Requirements, 410
IAC 7-24, states in
Section 110 that
plans and specifications shall be submitted and
approved by the local health department prior to
construction, conversion, or remodeling of an existing
retail food establishment and before the operation of a
retail food establishment. Even though the menu is
limited, a coffee shop is still a retail food
Plan review forms are available at the health
department or online through our website (listed on the
back). Items required for a plan review include:
 application
 questionnaire
 schematic layout of the facility
 menu
 list of equipment
The food sanitarian is generally available to answer
questions Monday thru Friday 8:00 to 9:30 AM. The
phone number is (812) 738-3237, extension 1013.
Plan approval is usually given within two weeks by
way of an approval letter. There is no fee for the plan
Once the
equipment is
installed and
equipment and
debris removed,
call the health
department to
schedule a Pre-Opening Inspection. If any items are
found to be out of compliance, you will be notified and
another inspection will be required. The building
inspectors and the health department usually try to
coordinate their final inspections within several days of
each other. The building inspectors will issue a
Certificate of Occupancy and the health department
will arrange for issuance of the annual food permit.
Food permit fees cannot be collected on-site. The
owner must contact the health department to obtain
the permit. Annual food permit fees are as follows:
 1-4 employees - $25 a year
 5-10 employees - $50 a year
 11 or more employees - $100 a year
The food permit fee is pro-rated. For instance, if you
don’t open until July, you will only owe a portion of the
yearly total.
Remember – food for sale cannot be prepared in
a private home!
All businesses must apply for a Tax ID number
by contacting the Indiana Department of
Revenue, (812) 282-7729
If your menu is limited to coffee and/or
breads/muffins, etc., you will probably not be
required to have a certified food handler. If your
menu will be more extensive, contact the health
Indiana Department of Revenue
(812) 282-7729
1446 Horn Avenue
Clarksville, IN 47129
Tax ID Number
Are you within town limits?
If so, contact your local Town Hall for their
requirements / approval
Harrison County Plan Commission
(812) 738-8927
Building and/or Sign permits
If you are building a new facility or doing a major
remodel, your plans may have to be submitted to
and approved by the State. Planning & Zoning
will help you with this.
Harrison County Health Department
(812) 738-3237, extension 1013
Food Permit
It may seem like overkill if all you want to serve is
coffee, but these things are required by the Indiana
Food Code.
 3-COMPARTMENT SINK – a stainless steel sink
with built in drainboard on each end. Required
to wash, rinse and sanitize coffee pots, utensils,
cups, etc. Must meet current NSF standards and
be equipped with an indirect drain.
 HAND SINK – a handwashing sink is required in
all food prep and utensil washing areas (yes,
coffee is “food”). More than one hand sink may
be required depending on the kitchen size and
set up. This sink must be easily accessible and
within 25 feet of all food prep and utensil washing
areas. Hand sinks may be used for no other
purpose than handwashing.
required if any vegetables or fruits will be used.
A stainless steel sink with one drainboard. Must
also meet current NSF standards and have an
indirect drain.
 MOP SINK – provide curbed-style mop basin or
free-standing sink for the proper disposal of liquid
waste from cleaning operations. Install away
from food prep surfaces. A mop sink is required
in all food establishments.
 COOLING UNITS – if you will have milk, cream,
whipped cream or flavorings, you will need a
refrigerator and/or freezer. Every cooling unit
must be provided with a thermometer. Maximum
temps: 0° F for a freezer and 41° F for a
 All equipment must be in good condition (no rust,
torn seals, etc.). Surfaces must be smooth,
easily cleanable, non-absorbent and lightcolored. Equipment must be installed on
approved six-inch NSF metal legs, casters or
solid masonry bases.
Do you plan to serve gourmet coffees or just a plain
ol’ cup o’ joe? Depending on your plans, you may
need a drip coffee maker, espresso machine, coffee
roaster, coffee grinder, blender, smoothie station,
display cases, etc. Will you be using disposable
paper or foam cups, or will you be serving your
coffee in washable mugs? If you’re considering
serving pastries or sandwiches, plan for it now,
because it might be more difficult to incorporate it
3. RESTROOMS – every food establishment must
have at least one restroom for employee’s use. If
you have a dine-in facility, at least one restroom
must be provided for patrons as well.
4. PLUMBING – must have an adequate supply of hot
and cold running water. Water for manual
dishwashing must reach at least 110° F. Indirect
drain connections must be used on all food service
equipment (ice bins & machines, dipper wells, etc.)
Install vacuum breakers on all fixtures requiring
them. All plumbing must be to current Indiana
Plumbing Code requirements.
5. GREASE INTERCEPTOR – building inspectors will
know if this is required for your facility.
6. SANITIZING – an approved chemical sanitizer and
appropriate test kit are required for general kitchen
7. LIGHTING – provide completely shielded fixtures or
shatterproof sleeves on fluorescent tubes. A
minimum of 70 footcandles of light shall be provided
at food prep and washing stations.
8. FLOORS – in the kitchen, food and dry storage
areas and restrooms, the floor must be smooth,
non-absorbent and easily cleanable. Carpeting is
prohibited in these areas, though it can be used in
the dining area.
9. WALLS AND CEILINGS – non-perforated, lightcolored, smooth, washable walls and ceilings must
be provided in work areas.
10. STORAGE – provide an adequate amount of
approved, easily cleanable metal shelving. Do not
use wood shelving in the kitchen. All shelves must
be at least 6” above the floor.
11. ZONES – Be aware of “areas” or “zones” you’ll
need; food prep area, warewashing area, dry
storage area, customer areas.
So, you want to open
a coffee shop?
241 Atwood Street, Suite 200
Corydon, Indiana 47112
(812) 738-3237
When you plan well, things will fall into place
much easier.
© Harrison County Health Department, TKM, 2012
Download PDF