Bartscher 610826 Microwave 23L, 900W, grill Operating instructions
GB/UK 1. General Information
1.1 Information about the instruction manual 1.2 Key to symbols 1.3 Liability and Warrantees 1.4 Copyright protection 1.5 Declaration of conformity
2.1 General information 2.2 Safety instructions for use of the device 2.3 Intended use
3. Delivery, packaging and storage
3.1 Delivery check 3.2 Packaging 3.3 Storage
4. Technical data
4.1 Technical specification 4.2 Overview of parts
5. Installation and operation
5.1 Safety instructions 5.2 Installation and connection 5.3 Guidelines for cooking with the microwave oven 5.4 Suitable dishes for use in the microwave oven 5.5 Operating
6. Cleaning and maintenance
6.1 Safety advice 6.2 Cleaning 6.3 Safety instructions for maintenance
7. Possible Malfunctions 8. Waste disposal
Bartscher GmbH Franz-Kleine-Str. 28 D-33154 Salzkotten Germany phone: +49 (0) 5258 971-0 fax: +49 (0) 5258 971-120 27 27-28
29-31 31-32 32 33 34-37
38 38-39 39
39 40 22
22 22 23 23 23
24 24-25 25
26 26 26
- 21 -
1. General information
1.1 Information about the instruction manual
This instruction manual contains information about the installation, operation and maintenance of the device and should be consulted as an important source of information and reference guide. Awareness of the safety instructions and instructions for use in this manual will ensure the safe and correct use of the device. In addition to the information given here, you should comply with any local Health and safety Controls and generally applicable safety regulations. The instruction manual forms part of the product and should be kept near the device and easily accessible for anyone carrying out the installation, servicing, maintenance or cleaning.
1.2 Key to symbols
In this manual, symbols are used to highlight important safety instructions and any advice relating to the device. The instructions should be followed very carefully to avoid any risk of accident, personal injury or material damage.
WARNING! This symbol highlights hazards, which could lead to injury. Please follow the instructions very carefully and proceed with particular attention in these cases. WARNING! Electrical hazard! This symbol draws attention to potential electrical hazards. If you do not follow the safety instructions, you may risk injury or death. CAUTION! This symbol highlights instructions, which should be followed to avoid any risk of damage, malfunctioning and/or breakdown of the device. NOTE! This symbol highlights tips and information, which have to be followed for an efficient and trouble-free operation of the device.
- 22 -
1.3 Liability and Warrantees
All the information and instructions in this manual take into account standard safety regulations, current levels of technical engineering as well as the expertise and experience we have developed over the years. The instruction manual was translated with all due care and attention. However, we do not accept liability for any translation errors. The German version of this instruction manual is definitive. If the delivery consists of a special model, the actual scope of delivery may differ from the descriptions and illustrations in this manual. This is also the case for special orders or when the device has been modified in line with new technology. If you have any questions, you should contact the manufacturer.
NOTE! Read the instruction manual carefully before using the device. The manufacturer does not accept liability for any damage or malfunction resulting from not following the instructions for use.
The instruction manual should be kept near the device, easily accessible for anyone wishing to work with or using it. We reserve the right to make technical changes for purposes of developing and improving the useful properties.
1.4 Copyright protection
The instruction manual including any texts, drawings, images or other illustrations is copyright. No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted or used in any form or by any means without permission in writing from the manufacturer. Any person who commits any unauthorized act in relation to this publication shall be liable to claims for damages. All rights reserved.
NOTE! The contents, texts, drawings, pictures and any other illustrations are copyright and subject to other protection rights. Any person unlawfully using this publication is liable to criminal prosecution.
1.5 Declaration of conformity
The device complies with the current standards and directives of the EU. We certify this in the EC declaration of conformity. If required we will be glad to send you the according declaration of conformity. - 23 -
This section provides an overview of all important safety aspects. In addition every chapter provides precise safety advice for the prevention of dangers which are highlighted by the use of the above mentioned symbols. Furthermore, attention should be paid to all pictograms, markers and labels on the device, which must be kept in a permanent state of legibility. By following all the important safety advice you gain an optimal protection against all hazards as well as the assurance of a safe and trouble-free operation.
2.1 General Information
This device is designed in accordance with the presently applicable technological standards. However, the device can pose a danger if handled improperly and inappropriately. Knowing the contents of the instruction manual as well as avoiding mistakes and thus operating this device safely and in a fault-free manner is very essential to protect yourselves from the hazards. To prevent hazards and to ensure optimum efficiency, no modifications or alterations to the device that are not explicitly approved by the manufacturer may be undertaken. This device may only be operated in technically proper and safe condition.
2.2 Safety instructions for use of the device
The specifications regarding the industrial safety are based on the Regulations of the European Union applicable at the time of manufacturing the device. If the device is used commercially, the user is obliged to ensure that the said industrial safety measures concur with the state of the rules and regulations applicable at the time in question for the entire period of use of the device and to comply with the new specifications. Outside the European Union, the industrial safety laws applicable at the place of installation of the device and the regional territorial provisions must be complied with. Besides the industrial safety instructions in the instruction manual, the general safety and accident prevention regulations as well as environment protection regulations applicable for area of application of the device must be followed and complied with. - 24 -
o o o o
The device is not intended for use by individuals (including children) with physical or mental disabilities, insufficient experience, and/or insufficient knowledge unless such persons are under the care of a person responsible for their safety or have received instructions regarding appropriate use of the device. Children should be observed to ensure that they are not playing with the device. Preserve this manual safely. When passing on/selling the device to a third party, the manuals must be handed over along with the device. Every person using the device must act in accordance to the manuals and under consideration of the safety advice. o The device is to be used indoors only.
2.3 Intended use
Safe operation is only guaranteed when using the device for its intended purpose. Any technical interventions, as well as assembly and maintenance are to be made by a qualified customer service only.
The microwave oven is intended only for preparation, heating and defrosting of food products using appropriate dishes. The microwave oven cannot be used for:
industrial and laboratory purposes; storage of kitchen utensils and dishes; drying paper, textiles and other flammable materials; heating of fluids and/or flammable materials, substances damaging to health, and substances easily vaporizing and/or other similar materials.
CAUTION! Any use going beyond the intended purpose and/or any different use of the device is forbidden and is not considered as conventional. Any claims against the manufacturer or his authorized representative as a consequence of experiencing damages resulting from unconventional use are impossible. The operator is liable for all damages resulting from inappropriate use.
- 25 -
3. Transport, packaging and storage
3.1 Delivery check
Please check the delivery upon completeness and transport damage immediately after receipt. In case of visible damage do not accept or accept the delivery with reservation only. Note the extent of damage on the carrier’s bill of delivery. Trigger off the complaint. Hidden damages should be reclaimed immediately after notice, as claims for damages can only be asserted within the effective period for complaints.
Please do not throw away the covering carton of your device as it might be useful for storage purposes, when moving or, in case of damages, when the device must be sent back to a repair center. The outer and inner packing material should be removed completely from the device before installation.
NOTE! If you liked to dispose the packing, consider the regulations applicable in your country. Supply re-usable packing materials to the recycling.
Please inspect the device upon completeness. In case any part is missing please contact our customer service center immediately.
Keep the package closed until installation and under consideration of the outside indicated positioning- and storage markings. Packages should be stored under consideration of the following: Do not store outdoors. Keep it dry and dust-free. Do not expose it to aggressive media. Do not expose it to direct sunlight. Avoid mechanical shocks and vibration. In case of longer storage (> 3 months) make sure you check the state of the packaging and the parts regularly. If required refresh or renew. - 26 -
4. Technical data
4.1 Technical specification Name
Article no.: Construction and cooking chamber: Microwave power output: Power consumption grll: Functions: Digital timer: Power: Dimensions:
Microwave oven with grill 610.826
Stainless steel 900 W 1000 W Microwave oven power levels: 5, grill function: 1, combined heating functions: 3 to 30 minutes 1,4 kW / 230 V Int.: W 315 x D 290 x H 200 mm ext.: W 483 x D 425 x H 281mm rotating tray: Ø 270 mm; grill rack: Ø 200 mm, H 90 mm 23 litres Capacity: Weight: 13.5 kg We reserve the right to make technical changes!
4.2 Overview of parts
1. Safety lock 2. Handle 3. Door with glass pane 4. Rotating ring 5. Rotating tray drive 6. Control panel 7. Ventilation ducts 8. Rotating tray 9. Grill heater 10. Grill rack
② ③ ⑨ ⑧ ④ ⑤ ① ⑦ ⑩ ⑥ - 27 -
- 28 -
A - Regulator functions
a) microwave oven functions Power levels
Low A Defrost
330 W 520 W
c) combined heating functions Combi 1 Combi 2 Combi 3
B - Manual timer regulator (0 – 30 min.)
5. Installation and operation
5.1 Safety instructions
WARNING! Electrical hazard! The device must only be connected to a properly installed single socket with protective contact. Never yank cord to disconnect from outlet. Cable must not touch any hot parts.
• See that the cable does not touch any heat sources or sharp edges. Do not let the cable dangle over the counter edge. • Do not use the device in case it does not function properly, has been damaged or dropped. • Do not use any accessory or spare parts that have not been recommended by the manufacturer. These can be dangerous for the user or lead to damages of the device or personal injury, and further, the warranty expires. • Do not lay the cable over carpets or heat insulations. Do not cover the cable. Keep away the cable from operating range and do not dunk it into water. • Do not move or tilt the device when in operation.
WARNING! Hazard via electrical current! The device can cause injuries due to improper installation! Before installation the local power grid specification should be compared with that of the device (see type label). Connect the device only in case of compliance! Take note of the security advice!
• It is extremely important to not damage the door and that it can be closed properly. Example of damage to the door which may be unsafe include the following: 1. warping and indentations, 2. cracked and/or properly secured hinges and screws, 3. damaged door seals, 4. cracked glass pane, 5. damaged locking elements. • The space between the door and the device must be free of foreign objects. - 29 -
• Door seals must be tight and clean, as dirt and damage may allow electromagnetic waves to escape from the microwave oven. Take care to prevent buildup of any residues (e.g. cleaning agents, dust, grease, etc.). • Do not turn the microwave oven on when the door is open, as an excess of damaging electromagnetic waves may be emitted by the device.
Never change the safety locks!
WARNING! Danger of burns! When in use, certain elements of the device are very hot. To avoid burns, do not touch the device!
• Never heat any flammable objects in the device. • Do not prepare any food products which contain alcohol. • Do not fry any food products in the device. Hot oil can lead to skin burns and/or
damage to the device.
• Do not place any objects inside the device (cookbooks, sponges, etc.). Sudden activation of the device can cause damage to such objects, and even burn them. • When heating or cooking food products in containers from flammable materials such as plastic or paper, remain near the device as there is a risk of the device overheating.
WARNING! Danger of burns! If objects in the device catch fire, leave the door closed, turn the device off and remove the plug from its socket OR flip the main circuit breaker switch.
• Do not prepare food products and beverages in closed or sealed containers. Such containers may crack inside the device or injure the user when being opened! • Food products prepared in the device are heated unevenly. Also, containers are usually hotter than the food products inside. Carefully check the temperature of food products, especially those prepared for children. Risk of burns! • Do not use the device for preparation of fresh or hard-boiled eggs, either in shell or peeled, as eggs may explode. • Food products with thick skins, such as potatoes, pumpkins, apples or chestnuts, should be pierced prior to heating. - 30 -
• Do not place solutions inside containing water, oil or grease, as such a mixture may explode. • Never use the device without the rotating tray nor without food products inside. The device may be damaged. • Do not use metallic pots, pans or covers. Metal may lead to sparks in the cooking chamber. Use only dishes resistant to high temperatures, designed for use in microwave ovens (see sec. 5.4). Risk of fire! • During the heating of liquids in the microwave oven it is possible that the liquid may reach boiling temperature without externally visible bubbling. For this reason, special care must be taken when handling the container. Even a light bump, e.g. when removing the liquid from the device, may lead to spillage. Risk of burns! • For that reason avoid using tall, narrow containers with a thin neck. • Place a spoon (only in exceptional cases use a metallic one) or glass stirrer in the beverage, then place the dish in the center of the rotating tray. Stir the liquid prior to heating and after half the heating time has elapsed. After heating: wait for a moment, carefully stir the liquid, then remove from the cooking chamber. • As food prepared in the microwave is heated unevenly, the contents of children’s bottles must be mixed thoroughly - optimally by shaking – then, before giving the bottle to the child, check the temperature of the food. Risk of burns!
Prior to heating food remove the bottle cap and nipple! 5.2 Installation and connection
• Unpack the device and remove all packing material. • Place the device on a flat, stable surface which can support the weight of a microwave oven, as well as heavy dishes and food products. • Do not place the device near flammable materials avoid high temperatures, moisture and high humidity. • Never place the device on a flammable surface (e.g. tablecloth, rug, etc.). • To ensure proper functioning, the device must have sufficient ventilation. For this reason, it is necessary to maintain the following safe distances: above the device: 20 cm at rear of device: 10 cm at sides of device: 5 cm. • Never block the ventilation ducts! • The device must remain a minimum distance of 2 m from radios, televisions, and other such electronics in order to avoid interference with the signal reception. - 31 -
• The wall socket circuitry must be secured to a minimum of 16A. Connect the device directly to a wall-mounted socket; do not use extension cords or power strips. • Position the device so that the plug is readily accessible and if necessary can be easily removed from its socket.
5.3 Guidelines for cooking with the microwave oven
Instead of traditional heat sources, a microwave oven applies an electron lamp which emits electromagnetic waves. These waves, like radio waves, are invisible but their effects can be observed. Such waves can pass through materials such as glass, porcelain, artificial materials and paper. As these materials do not contain water, grease or oil, they are not heated by the microwaves. Simply put, the microwaves directly reach the food product, causing molecules of water, grease and oil to vibrate; friction results in the creation of heat which is used for defrosting, heating or cooking. During cooking with microwaves, heat remains inside the product being prepared, in opposition to the processes of boiling or grilling in which heat enters the food from the outside. If the device is not damaged, energy created by the microwaves remains inside the device and does not pose a threat to the user. • Carefully place food products to be cooked inside the microwave oven, with larger pieces at the outer edges. • Remember the cooking time. It is best to at first set the shortest possible time and then lenghten cooking time as necessary. Excessive cooking time may cause the food product to smoke or catch fire. • Cover food products during cooking. This will ensure even cooking and prevent splattering. • Turn food products over while cooking. This will speed up the process of cooking such products as chicken or hamburgers. Large products, such as a roast, should be turned over at least once. • Such dishes as dumplings should, after half of the cooking time has elapsed, be turned over, moved from the top to bottom, moved from the outside to the inside, etc. - 32 -
5.4 Suitable dishes for use in the microwave oven
1. Check that a dish is suitable to be used in a microwave oven.
Test: place the empty dish together with a glass of water (never activate the
device when empty or with only an empty container inside), then heat at the highest power level for 60 seconds. An appropriate dish will be lukewarm. If the dish is hot, it is not appropriate for use in the microwave oven. 2. Proper materials for dishes for the microwave oven allow microwaves to pass through. Energy goes through the container and heats the food product. 3. Do not use metallic containers or containers containing metallic parts (e.g. gold strips around the edge of a plate). Microwaves do not pass through metal. 4. Do not use products from recycled materials, as they may contain small pieces of metal. If such containers are used, sparks and even fire may result. 5. Dishes of oval and round shapes should be used, as food products cook more quickly in the corners of square-shaped containers. 6. Wide, flat containers are best suited to use in the microwave oven as compared to narrow and tall ones. Food products cook evenly in flat dishes. 7. To avoid food from baking onto the edge of dishes, you may cover the edges with thin strips of aluminum foil. Do not use too much aluminum foil, and leave a minimum distance of 2.5 to 3.0 cm between the foil and walls of the microwave oven’s cooking chamber. 8. The table below will help you in selecting the proper dishes:
Dishes for cooking Usable in microwave ovens Usable for
Usable for combination heating
Tempered baking glass yes yes yes Glass not resistant to high temperature no no no Tempered porcelain Plastic dishes suitable for use in microwave ovens yes yes yes no yes no Kitchen paper Metal tray / bowl yes no no yes no no Metal rack no no yes yes no no Aluminum foil & foil containers - 33 -
5.5 Operating Washing prior to first use
• Prior to first use it is necessary to wash the device, so that remnants of packing materials do not impact the taste of food products. • Empty the cooking chamber. • Wash the interior and exterior of the device with a soft, moist cloth and dry thoroughly. • Leave the door open so that the cooking chamber can dry out thoroughly. • Place the rotating ring, rotating tray and grill in a dishwasher or clean with water and a washing-up liquid.
Assembling the rotating tray
• Place the rotating tray elements ④ into the depression at the bottom of the cooking chamber. • Place the rotating tray with the grooved side ⑧ at the bottom, on the bottom of the cooking chamber, and turn until the plate locks into the tray drive ⑤ . ⑧ ④ ⑤
Heating and cooking
1. Prior to turning the microwave oven on, check that the rotating tray ⑧ and rotating ring ④ are properly installed. The cooking chamber must be clean; the rotating ring ④ must be located in the depression; the rotating tray ⑧ must be secured to the tray drive ⑤ . 2. Place the dish with food product on the rotating tray. Nothing should extend beyond the edge of the rotating tray. Do not heat / cook food products placed directly on the rotating tray. In the event of heating / cooking larger quantities of food cut into pieces, ensure they are evenly distributed throughout the dish used for cooking and that they do not touch one another. - 34 -
Never activate the device without the rotating tray and a container for food products, nor without food products!
3. Close the door and check that the seals are clean and door is closed properly. 4. Set the desired power level using the function regulator, and set the cooking time (1-30) using the manual timer.
NOTE! The device comes on when the cooking time is set!
Cooking time depends on the following characteristics of the food product:
Initial temperature: the lower the initial temperature, the longer the cooking time Thickness: Moisture: Form: the thicker the food product, the longer the cooking time the drier the food product, the longer the cooking time the more compact the food product, the longer the cooking time Weight: the heavier the food product, the longer the cooking time 5. The cooking chamber is lit, and the rotating tray rotates. Ensure the rotating tray has a free range of movement. 6. To suspend the device’s operation, open the door. 7. If the food product is removed from the oven before the cooking time has expired or if the device is turned off, always set the manual timer to "0". 8. After the set time has expired an alarm will sound. 9. Open the door and remove the food product.
WARNING! Danger of burns! Dishes used for cooking may be very hot, as heat is emitted from the food product. Use protective gloves or a towel when removing dishes.
If the device is set to a high power level, keep it under constant observation! In the event of strange noises, food products swelling, or liquids churning, reduce the power level!
- 35 -
• To use the grill function, turn the function regulator clockwise to the grill function icon . • The grill function is especially recommended for preparing small pieces of meat, steaks, cutlets, chopped meats and sausages. The grill function is also useful in preparing hot sandwiches and toasts. • Use the grill rack included with the oven for grilling. Place it on the rotating tray, then place the prepared food product on the rack. Place an appropriate container for collecting sauce or other drippings on the rotating tray.
Combined heating function
• For defrosting, cooking, heating and baking, you may use the combined functions of microwave oven and grill. This will make properly-selected food products especially crispy. • There are three combined heating function possibilities:
Combi 1 Combi 2 Combi 3
• With these functions, the microwave oven and grill functions operate in combination. The proportion of these functions is divided as follows and is programmed during production:
Program Microwave function Grill function Types of food products Combi 1 Combi 2
Medium / low (30%) Medium (49%) High (70 %) Low (51 %) Fish, casserole, potatoes Pudding, omelets, potatoes in skin
Medium / high (67 %) Low (33%) • Choose the desired program and cooking time. - 36 - Poultry
• The function labeled
(DEFROST) allows the easy defrosting of frozen food
products. Energy created by the microwaves heats the external layer of the product, and the heat slowly seeps into the interior of the product. This ensures even defrosting of the food product. • Prior to defrosting, remove the packaging from the product and place the product on a plate. • While defrosting proceed in accordance with the following instruction:
Food products should be covered, in order to: o quicken their heating, o avoid drying out, o avoid splattering of grease in the cooking chamber, Exceptions: bread, baked goods, breaded food products and products which are supposed to be crunchy should not be covered.
Turning over / mixing
Practically all food products should turned over and/or mixed at least once during defrosting. Sticky pieces of food should be separated as quickly as is possible.
Smaller portions defrost more evenly and quicker than larger ones. For this reason, divide food products into smaller pieces prior to defrosting. An entire meal can thus be quickly and easily prepared.
Delicate foods such as pate / cakes, cream, cheese or bread should be only partially defrosted, and the defrosting process should be finished at room temperature. In this manner you will avoid a situation where the food is too hot on the outside while still frozen on the inside.
Leaving dishes out
The time for leaving dishes out following defrosting is very important, as it guarantees continuation of the defrosting process. After defrosting, the defrosted food product should be cooked as soon as possible. Do not re-freeze defrosted food products. - 37 -
6. Cleaning and maintenance
6.1 Safety advice
o Before beginning with repair or cleaning works make sure the device has been disconnected from power socket (pull the power plug!!!) and has cooled down. o Do not use any acid agents and make sure no water ingresses the device. o To protect yourself from electric shock, never immerse the device, its cables and the plug in water or other liquids.
CAUTION! The device is not suited for direct washing via water jets. Therefore, you must not
use any kind of pressure water jet for cleaning the device!
o Wash the device regularly. o After each use, wipe the device with a moist cloth. Remove any remnants of food and beverages from the interior of the device with a moist cloth. A delicate cleaning agent may be used in case of more stubborn dirt. o Avoid using sprays and other aggressive cleaning agents, as such chemicals may leave stains on the device and even damage its surface. o Wash the exterior surface of the device with a moist cloth. To protect the parts located inside the device from damage, do not allow water to seep through the ventilation ducts into the interior of the device. o To remove dirt, wash the door, door seals and attached elements with a moist cloth. Do not use harsh cleaning agents. o Do not get the control panel overly wet. Wash it with a moist, soft cloth. Do not close the door while washing the device, to avoid accidentally turning it on. o Wash the rotating ring, rotating tray and grill rack regularly by using a small amount of washing-up liquid or by placing them in a dishwasher. o If condensation forms on the inside or outside of the door, remove it with a soft cloth. Condensation forms when the device is operated in conditions of high humidity. This is a normal occurrence. o Unpleasant odours can be removed from the device by placing a glass of water with lemon juice and lemon peel, then heating for approx. 5 minutes. Afterwards, wipe the device thoroughly with a soft, dry cloth. - 38 -
o When washing use only soft cloths, never scouring pads which may damage the surface of the device. o After washing the device, wipe its surface dry and polish with a soft, dry cloth. o Make sure the device has been cleaned and dried properly for further usage.
6.3 Safety instructions for maintenance
o Check the mains connection cable for damage from time to time. Never operate the device when the cable is damaged. A damaged cable must immediately be replaced by customer service or a qualified electrician to avoid dangers. o In case of damage or malfunction, please contact your stockist or our customer service centre. Pay attention to the troubleshooting tips in pt. 7. o Only a qualified technician and using original spare parts and accessories should carry out repairs and maintenance of the device. Do not attempt to repair the
7. Possible Malfunctions
If the microwave oven fails to function: 1. Check that it has been properly plugged in. Remove the plug from its socket and wait approx. 10 seconds, then reinsert it into the socket. 2. Check that a circuit breaker or the main circuit has not been disconnected. If they are functioning properly, check the connection using other electronic appliances. 3. Check that the door is closed properly (safety lock). If it is not, to ensure safety microwaves will not be formed inside the cooking chamber.
In the event you are able to exclude the above-mentioned explanations, please contact qualified technical support personnel or a service center to examine and repair the device.
- 39 -
8. Waste disposal
Discarding old devices
At the end of its service life the discarded device has to be disposed in accordance with the national regulations. It is advisable to contact a company which is specialized in waste disposal, or just contact the local disposal service in your community.
WARNING! To exclude any abuse and the dangers involved make the waste device unfit for use before disposal. For that purpose disconnect device from mains supply and remove mains connection cable from the device. NOTE! For the disposal of the device please consider and act according to the national and local rules and
regulations. Bartscher GmbH Franz-Kleine-Str. 28 D-33154 Salzkotten Germany - 40 - phone: +49 (0) 5258 971-0 fax: +49 (0) 5258 971-120
* Your assessment is very important for improving the workof artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project