Legrand ezDALI Group Controller Installation guide
DLC4-x / DLC2-x
ezDALI 4-Button / 2-Button Group Controller Installation and Operation
The DLC4-x or DLC2-x Group Controller is one component in an ezDALI System. It provides a simple tool for grouping the DALI ballasts in a room or zone and manually turning on, off or dimming each group to create a preferred lighting level. Automatic OFF, in compliance with energy codes, can be achieved through an occupancy sensor input to the system.
The DLC4-x (shown right) controls 4 ballast groups, and the DLC2-x (inset) 2 groups. The x suffix in the catalog number refers to button and switchplate color: 2 = ivory, 4 = almond, 7 = white and 9 = grey.
A complete ezDALI system includes the following: 1. Group Controller (DLC) or Group & Scene Controller (DLCSS) 2. Power Supply (DPS series) 3. Lighting fixtures equipped with DALI ballasts Optional components in the system are: 4. Remote Scene Switch (DSS4) for use with Group & Scene Controller (DLCSS) 5. Relay Module (DRM) to control non-DALI fixtures 6. Occupancy Sensor(s)
• Dimming plus ON/OFF control of up to four (or two) lighting groups • Logarithmic dimming curves: 1% dimming for linear fluorescents, 3% for compacts • Easily create and modify lighting environments without rewiring and without the use of a PC or special tools • Master OFF/Restore allows simple day-to-day control • Occupancy sensor for automatic OFF • No complex commissioning • 2-conductor, Class 2 communications, FCC approved for commercial/industrial applications • Impact-resistant Lexan ® construction with screwless wallplate and removable button covers for labeling
The Group Controller is the source of all commands to the ballasts. Each of the DALI ballasts in the room GROUP BUTTONS MASTER BUTTON is assigned to one of the four (two) Group buttons. The light level in that group can then be raised or lowered by pressing and holding the Group button. This allows the user to created a preferred lighting level for each lighting group. Once levels are set for all groups, the Master button is used to toggle between that lighting environment and off for normal daily operation. Changing the lighting environment is a simple matter of readjusting group levels to the new preferrences.
The Group Controller also provides enhanced occupancy sensor operation. When the Group Controller receives a message that the room is occupied, the lighting will turn on to the user-defined level. When the room becomes unoccupied, the Group Controller lowers the lighting for five minutes, and then turns it off. If the occupancy sensor detects motion during this 5-minute warning, the Group Controller returns the lights to the preferred level.
Before starting, read the instructions on the next three pages. If you have any questions, call our Service Team at: 888-852-2778.
Use only rapid-start sockets. Instant-start sockets shall not be used. Instant-start sockets short out the pins of the lamps, so the ballast cannot provide supplemental heat to the filaments.
Santa Clara, CA 95050 © 2004 The Watt Stopper, ® Inc.
DLC4-x / DLC2-x
ezDALI 4-Button / 2-Button Group Controller — Installation and Operation
Figure 1 – Typical ezDALI System Wiring Power
hot, neutral and ground
DALI Data Bus
minimum 18/2, no ground, stranded or solid copper, 600 volt insulation (DALI and power may be combined into a 5-wire cable)
Junction Box Power Supply (DPS150-x) Relay Module (DRM)
Class 2 18/2 Class 2 20/3
Occupancy Sensor Fixtures with DALI Ballasts Single-gang Switch Box Group Controller (DLC4-x) Fixtures without DALI Ballasts
NOT TO SCALE. FOR ILLUSTATION PURPOSES ONLY.
This installation assumes the ezDALI Power Supply has been properly installed according to the instructions accompanying that device. If not, turn off power at the circuit breaker and follow the directions for installing the Power Supply before installing the Controller.
Wire in accordance with the National Electrical Code and all applicable local electrical codes.
Install Wall Box and Run Class 2 Wiring
Install a two-gang wall box at the desired location. Run Class 2 wiring between the wall box and the DPS Power Supply as shown in
. We recommend plenum-rated 2-conductor stranded wire with jacket, #18 AWG minimum.
Wire the Group Controller
Remove the screwless cover plate by pressing the black tab at the bottom edge of the plate and lifting the plate up and off. Connect the purple leads on the back of the Group Controller to the conductors in the wall box as shown in
(Note: The DALI bus is not polarity sensitive.) Mount the Group Controller in the wall box, but do not replace the cover plate until the testing and commis sioning are completed.
Power up and Test
Restore power if it had been turned off prior to installation.
All lights should turn on at full. Pressing the large Master button will toggle the lights off and on.
Commission the System Initialize
Swing open the Master button to reveal the Programming buttons. Initialize the Group Controller by pressing and holding the STORE button for five seconds. The button LEDs will sequence while the Group Controller addresses the ballasts as follows: 1. First, the Group Controller sends an OFF message to all ballasts.
2. Then, one by one, each ballast will turn its associated lights on, as the Group Controller assigns its short address (0-63). When complete, all of the ballasts in the room will be ON at their maximum level.
For the purpose of these instructions, we are using the office lighting plan shown in
. There are two linear fluores cent fixtures and three wall wash fixtures 2
DLC4-x / DLC2-x
ezDALI 4-Button / 2-Button Group Controller — Installation and Operation in the room. Ballasts are numbered as shown (numbers are for reference only).
Ballasts will be grouped as follows: Ballast #1 will be in Group A (Desk Lighting), ballast #3 in Group B (Door Lighting) and ballasts #0, 2 and 4 will be in Group C (Wall Wash Lighting). Group D will not be used in this application.
Begin by pressing and releasing the SELECT button. Ballast #0 will turn on at maximum. All others will turn off.
Press the Group C (Wall Wash Lighting) button to assign that ballast to that group. The Group C LED will begin flashing. To remove the ballast from that group, press the Group C button again, or simply press the desired Group button.
A ballast may be assigned to only one group.
Press and release the SELECT button again and ballast #1 will turn on.
Assign it to Group A (Desk Lighting) by pressing that group button. Repeat for each remaining ballast.
After assigning all ballasts to groups, press the STORE button to save. All Group LEDs will turn on steady and all lights will turn on at maximum.
Test the System
Press and release each Group button several times. The Group LED and all of the ballasts in that lighting group will toggle ON/OFF. Press and hold any Group button and the lighting group will ramp up. Press and hold again, and the group will ramp down.
Setting Maximum Levels
The MAX button sets maximum light levels for each group. This function is useful for setting light levels appropriate for the work space or function, as well as for energy conservation.
Begin by pressing and releasing the MAX button. All lighting will turn to 100% and the MAX and Group LEDs will begin flashing.
Adjust the lighting level of each group by pressing and holding the Group button (similar to creating a preferred light level).
When the desired maximum light level
Figure 2 – Create Groups
GROUP A GROUP B GROUP C GROUP D
WALL WASH 4
2 3 0 LINEAR DOOR
LINEAR DESK Group A –
Linear Desk Lighting (Ballast #1)
Group B –
Linear Door Lighting (Ballast #3)
Group C –
Wall Wash Lighting (Ballasts #0, 2 and 4)
Group D –
Not Used PRESS SELECT BUTTON.
BALLAST #0 WILL TURN ON AT MAXIMUM. ALL OTHERS WILL TURN OFF.
DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE PRESS GROUP C BUTTON.
GROUP C LED WILL BEGIN FLASHING.
REPEAT FOR ALL BALLASTS.
DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE MAX SELECT STORE SELECT STORE PRESS STORE BUTTON TO SAVE ALL GROUPS. ALL GROUP LEDS WILL TURN ON STEADY AND ALL LIGHTS WILL TURN ON AT MAXIMUM.
DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE MAX SELECT STORE
Figure 3 – Setting Maximum Levels
PRESS AND RELEASE MAX BUTTON.
ALL LIGHTS WILL TURN TO 100%. MAX AND GROUP LEDS WILL BEGIN FLASHING.
PRESS AND HOLD EACH GROUP BUTTON TO SET THE DESIRED LIGHTING LEVEL.
DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE MAX SELECT STORE SELECT STORE for each group has been reached, press the MAX button again. The MAX LED will turn off, the Group LEDs will turn on steady and all lights will turn PRESS AND RELEASE THE MAX BUTTON AGAIN.
MAX LED WILL TURN OFF, GROUP LEDS WILL TURN ON STEADY AND ALL LIGHTS WILL TURN ON AT NEW MAXIMUM LEVELS.
DESK DOOR WALL WASH SPARE MAX SELECT STORE on at the new maximum levels.
Note: To clear the maximum settings, press the MAX button twice.
DLC4-x / DLC2-x
ezDALI 4-Button / 2-Button Group Controller — Installation and Operation
Create Preferred Lighting Levels
Adjust the lighting levels of each group by pressing and holding the Group button to ramp the lighting up or down.
Releasing the button stops the ramping.
Pressing and holding again reverses the direction. A group may be turned on or off by pressing and immediately releas ing the Group button. Each Group LED will indicate the ON/OFF status of that group. The Master button will toggle between the preferred levels and off.
Labeling the Buttons
The individual Group buttons provide space for 3 ⁄ 8 " x 1 1 ⁄ 16 " directory labels. The labels can be attached by removing the clear lens, positioning the label and replacing the lens as shown below.
If desired, the buttons may be completely removed from the base and labeled separately. This method allows better alignment of the labels. To remove a button from the base, simply pry it off the retainer. Replace the button by snapping it back into the retainer.
None of the fixtures respond to the Controller.
• If the fixtures do not turn on when power is first applied, check the lamps.
Then check for power to the fixtures.
• Confirm that ballast wiring to lamp sockets conforms to the wiring diagram on the ballast. Check that the lamp socket pins are not shorted (Remove the lamps and disconnect the socket wires. Measure the resistance across the contacts.) • If the fixtures turn on when power is cycled, but do not respond to the Controller, first check for power to the Controller by observing the Locator light on the bottom bezel. If it is lit, the Controller is receiving power.
• Check the voltage output of the Power Supply. First, disconnect the data bus at the Power Supply and measure the DC voltage of the Power Supply output to the data bus. It should be 14-16 VDC. Repeat with the bus plugged in.
The voltage should not change. If it does, isolate the open or short.
• If not, check that the Power Supply LED is on steady (GREEN indicates the occupancy sensor is in occupied mode; RED, unoccupied). If not, check power to the Power Supply.
• If the Power Supply LED is flashing RED, the connection between the Controller and Power Supply is shorted.
Turn off power and isolate the short.
• If the LED is flashing GREEN, the DALI bus to the fixtures is shorted. Turn off power and isolate the short.
One fixture is not responding.
• Check for an open circuit between the ballast and the DALI bus.
• Check that the ballast has been programmed into the desired group: - Remove the wall plate and open the Master button.
- Press SELECT. Ballast #0 will turn on at 100% and the LED for the group to which it was assigned will begin flashing.
- Continue to press SELECT until you reach the fixture that is not responding.
- Press the appropriate Group button to add it to that group.
- Press STORE to enter the new assignment.
- Press the Group button to confirm correct operation.
General Specifications Applicable Standards
• UL and CUL 916 Energy Management • FCC approved for commercial and industrial applications
• Temperature: 0 ° to 60 ° C (32 ° to 140 ° F) • Relative Humidity: 10 to 95% RH, non-condensing • Atmosphere: Non-explosive, non-corrosive • Vibration: Stationary applications, NEMA Level A
• Communications: DALI bus: Class 2, 2-wire cable between Group Controller and Power Supply • Current Draw from the DALI bus: DLC4: 40 mA DLC2: 28 mA Panel Division 888-852-2778 INDLC 061004
* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project