Jarratt Hall (PDF-1MB) - University of Birmingham

We are very pleased that you have chosen to live at Jarratt Hall and we hope that you settle in quickly and
enjoy your stay.
We have prepared this document which contains important safety and practical information and also to
help you understand how your accommodation is managed and to help you get to know your residence.
Please take the time to read through the contents of this document and if you have any queries please
contact a member of staff.
I know this is an exciting time for you coming to university to live and study independently but it may also
be a little daunting for some.
But don’t worry, if there is anything you are not sure about in relation to your accommodation and this
document does not contain the answer please contact staff for help. For more general information about
the University, registration, finance, accommodation and study support I would recommend that you go
to the two links below, if you haven’t already, as there is information available which will be important
throughout your time here.
Our staff will be pleased to assist you with any queries or concerns you may have during your stay. A
member of staff will be on site 24 hours each day and by phoning reception from your mobile on 0121
415 1011. All staff wear uniforms and name badges and we should get to know each other quickly over
the coming weeks.
Whilst we hope you enjoy the social activities that student life brings, you also need to be aware of the
terms and conditions of your contract and such matters personal safety, reporting a repair and other
related day to day elements which apply to living in student accommodation. We have detailed all the
relevant information in this document. Please ensure that you are clear about your responsibilities whilst
in residence.
Jarratt Hall is located within a residential area and it is important for community relations to show respect
for your fellow student residents and local residents.
You will find an inventory form at the following address
www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/accommodation/OfferpackInformation.aspx which details what is in
your accommodation. Please print and sign this and return to Pritchatts Park Reception within 48 hours of
Best wishes for an enjoyable stay.
Brynda Kirk
Accommodation Manager,
Selly Oak and Pritchatts Park Village
September 2015
1. What is the Universities UK (UUK) Code of Practice?
The Housing Act 2004 introduced licensing for houses in multiple occupation in England and Wales. The
Housing Act stated that licensing would apply to student accommodation which replaced the previous
system of registration, from which Higher Education Institutions were exempt.
The University of Birmingham played an active role in the consultation exercise for the draft UUK Code of
Practice. We fully support the principles of the Code for the provision and management of our student
residences and signed up to the UUK Code in December 2005
The Code has been prepared primarily to assist managers, and anyone involved in the management of
student accommodation by setting out the main elements of good management practice.
It is intended that the Code establishes a set of standards and undertakings about our management
practices and the relationship between the University of Birmingham and yourself throughout your stay
with us.
It covers, among other matters, health and safety, maintenance and repair, and relationships between
managers and you, our student tenant. It also should assist you to understand both the standards and
procedures applying to your accommodation and your obligations as a resident.
The Code has been designed with regard to the particular characteristics of student accommodation and
to management practice in the higher education sector.
Administration arrangements for the Code are set out in this document. These are intended to serve the
overall purposes of the Code. These help to maintain and enhance standards and to set out clearly what
you may expect of your accommodation and its management.
These detailed arrangements also provide mechanisms for identifying, and helping remedy, any
shortcomings in the management of your accommodation. Where an audit and/or complaints indicate a
persistent management failure a University may be deemed to be no longer compliant with the UUK Code
of Practice.
Arrangements for the management of student accommodation, prior to the introduction of the Code of
Practice, varied considerably between universities and the range of professional Higher Education bodies
involved in giving information and advice on one or other aspect of housing provision and management of
student accommodation.
The Code outlines best practice and provides benchmarks for the management and quality of student
housing in the Higher Education sector. A full version of the UUK Code of Practice is available to download
at www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/acop/ and more details about the Code is available at www.thesac.org.uk/
The Code is concerned with the main principles and essential requirements for well managed student
accommodation and the index below provides hot links to each section:
Health and Safety Standards and Procedures
Fire Safety
Electricity and Gas Supplies
Kitchen and Food Hygiene
Internet Facilities
Maintenance and Repairs
Environmental Quality, Energy Saving and Recycling
Landlord and Tenant Relationship
Student Support and Student Mentor Scheme
Anti-Social Behaviour and Disciplinary Procedures
Each of the above elements are detailed under the relevant sections in this document. However, some of
the information referred to may be held at your Village Reception or in the Estates Office and instructions
will be provided under the relevant heading of how you can obtain this information.
If you have any queries or concerns about your accommodation then please contact the reception on
your Village where staff will be more than happy to assist you.
2. Health and Safety Standards and Procedures
This Statement is extracted from the University's full Health and Safety Policy Statement which also
details the organisation and arrangements for implementing and monitoring the Policy. The full policy
statement is available at www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/governance/policies-regs/health-safety.aspx
2.1 Policy Statement
The University of Birmingham, as an employer, is committed to providing and maintaining a
healthy and safe working environment for all its employees, students and any other people who
may be affected by its activities. The overall responsibility for ensuring implementation of this
policy lies with the University of Birmingham; that is the University Council and the ViceChancellor as its Chief Executive.
This statement applies to all premises and activities within the control of the University. The
University has made detailed arrangements for implementing this policy outlined in a further
section of the Policy entitled, Organisation and Arrangements.
In order to achieve this aim the University has the following key objectives:
as a minimum, to comply with requirements of relevant legislation;
to identify hazards (the potential for harm), assess risks (the likelihood of that harm
being realised) and manage those risks;
to ensure that employees, students and others are adequately informed of the
identified risks and where appropriate receive instruction, training and supervision;
to consult with employees' representatives on health and safety matters;
to make arrangements for co-ordination and co-operation with other employers where:
University employees or students share premises, facilities or activities with persons
working in other organisations;
persons from other organisations are working in University controlled activities;
to safeguard the environment from the effects of the University's activities;
to monitor and review the effectiveness of the University's arrangements and where
appropriate to implement improvements.
to ensure that the demands of activities do not exceed the capabilities of staff or
students to carry out the work without risk to themselves or others.
The Heads of Budget Centres are responsible for ensuring compliance with University Health and
Safety Policy within their area of control. Heads of Budget Centres are required to produce
annual health and safety action plans summarising key objectives and timescales.
The University will actively monitor the performance of Budget Centres in the management of
risks under their control and the implementation of Budget Centre health and safety action
Whilst the University accepts the main responsibility for implementation of this policy individuals
have an important role in co-operating with those responsible to ensure a healthy and safe
working environment. Individuals are required to abide by rules and requirements made under
the authority of this policy.
Hospitality and Accommodation Services Health and Safety Policy
You are required to conduct yourself responsibly and in a safe manner that is compatible with the health,
safety and wellbeing of your fellow residents and the buildings in which you live. It is an offence in law to
interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health and safety, including fire detection
systems, fire alarms and fire-fighting equipment.
The University will take disciplinary action against any resident found to be endangering the welfare of
other resident’s or members of the University Community. A copy of the University Health and Safety
2.2 Risk register
The University Health and Safety Policy require Heads of Budget Centres to ensure that risk assessments
are carried out for all activities under their control.
“Heads of Budget Centres must ensure that risk assessments are carried out for all activities under their
control as required by current University Policies and that appropriate action is taken to eliminate or
control the risks identified.”
Once a risk assessment has been completed the documentation is kept in a local Risk Register located in
the Village reception which is available to view by appointment. If you have concerns regarding risk
assessments please contact a member of Jarratt Hall staff
2.3 Emergencies including first aid or calling for the emergency services
(In the case of FIRE sound the alarm first)
Use one of the Emergency Phones linked to Security Control
Do not telephone the Emergency Services direct. This will be done by
Security Control
(In the case of FIRE sound the alarm first)
Emergency phones locations:
1. Elms Road on the corner of the ACS Building
2. South West Campus, Terrace Huts, Sportex Building
3. South Car Park, first floor pedestrian exit, at the rear of the Guild of Students Building
4. University Square, outside Arts Building main entrance
(Press button and speak direct to Security Control)
1. Check safety - do not put yourself at risk
2. Maintain clear airway
3. Summon Help - see First Aiders listed below Or Dial 44444 - Security
4. Control bleeding
5. Move the casualty as little as possible
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Mindelsohn Way
B15 2WB
0121 627 2000
If you sustain any minor injury, the correct procedure is for you to see an appointed First Aider in order
that appropriate action can be taken and the necessary records made.
A list of First Aiders is available at Jarratt Hall reception.
2A. Fire Safety
2.4 Prevention
at RISK– disciplinary action may be taken as detailed in Clause 2a of your Accommodation Contract.
Please note, there will be charges applicable for the abuse of fire regulations, e.g. for covering up a smoke
or heat detector, propping open fire doors or leaving cooking unattended.
2.5 Fire detection and alarm
Your flat has a combination of smoke detectors in the bedroom and smoke alarms/heat detectors in the
kitchen and hallway. These are mains operated, backed up by a battery in case of power failure. The
alarms are linked which means if one alarm goes off it will activate all the alarms in your flat
2.6 Fire alarms, fire-fighting equipment, emergency lighting, emergency secondary power supplies, fire
door integrity and door release mechanisms are regularly checked and tested in accordance with the
appropriate British Standard. A record of these checks is maintained by the University’s Estates Office.
If your flat alarm is activated by a fire or any other reason always contact a member of Jarratt Hall staff
DIAL 44444 on any internal telephone and give details to security
REPORT incident to Jarratt Hall site staff immediately
ATTEMPT to extinguish the fire with the appliances available (BUT DO NOT PUT YOURSELF AT RISK)
For more details on what to do in an emergency, emergency action in relation to accidents and illness on
main campus go to
The following are regularly tested to the appropriate British Standard by the Estates Office
Emergency lighting
Emergency secondary power supplies, such as battery back-up systems
Fire door integrity including closures
Automatic door release systems
Emergency escape ironmongery, such as push bars
2. 7. and 2. 8. ESCAPE
Fire evacuation practices will be conducted at the start of each academic year and you will be informed of
when these will take place soon after you move in. If you are unsure please ask a member of Village staff
for details.
To evacuate your flat at Jarratt Hall you must leave via the ENTRANCE door. Proceed down the stairwell (if
you are not on the ground floor) and go to the assembly point.
Your assembly point is written on the blue sticker on the back of your bedroom door.
The six bedroom Flats 3, 5, 7, 77, 79, 81 can access the stairwells by using the main entrance door, or the
alternate exit door situated at the opposite end of the hallway.
It is important that the corridors and stairwells are kept clear of rubbish or obstructions at all times, safe
egress will be monitored regularly by staff.
Deliberate obstruction by rubbish or other items will be seen as a major breach of Health and Safety
regulations and disciplinary action may follow
Fire evacuation practices will be conducted at the start of each academic year and you will be informed of
when these will take place soon after you move in. It is your responsibility to ensure that you attend this
important session.
Leave the flat by the shortest and safest route
Go to the assembly point which is:
Follow the instructions of the staff on duty
Jarratt Hall staff will, provided these duties do not endanger their own safety
Supervise the evacuation and report details of the incident to the University Security Control
Stop re-entry to the flat until the Fire Service arrive
Ensure that the Fire Service have vehicular access onto the site
2.9 Personal evacuation plans
Residents are encouraged to disclose details of any disability which may affect their ability to complete a
safe evacuation in an emergency and thus require assistance from Village staff. We would encourage you
to advise us of any relevant disability to enable staff to prepare a personal emergency evacuation plan
(PEEP) for you.
Why would you need a personal emergency evacuation plan?
A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) is designed to ensure the health and safety of yourself
should an emergency situation arise that requires building evacuation (e.g. fire alarm activation, bomb
This plan is usually unique to yourself and stipulates the actions you will need to take and any
requirements that staff will need to be aware of should an emergency arise. It will cover all buildings you
are likely to occupy whilst in the accommodation. If this is something you would like to discuss in
confidence please contact the Village reception staff
2.10 General
This site has an electricity supply only. Please be aware UK STANDARD VOLTAGE IS 230v 50Hz
Except in the case of emergencies or essential maintenance works electrical supply will be maintained
without interruption.
2.12 Gas Installations (Not Applicable to Jarratt Hall)
All gas supplies, distribution pipe work and gas fired appliances comply with the relevant gas safety
2.13 All gas appliances in Student Accommodation, such as boilers, have an annual gas safety check
undertaken by a CORGI registered gas installer. These tests are coordinated by the Estates Office and you
will find a copy of the current gas safety check displayed next to the gas appliance in your
Control of Gas Boilers for the provision of heating and hot water
2.14 Please see section 2.17 for instructions on electric heating in your bedroom
2.15 Electrical Installations
Do not use any appliance rated at any other voltage especially 110V as this is a serious Health and Safety
risk and may result in disciplinary proceedings and harm to you and damage to your appliance
You must check that your own electrical appliances are made to British Standard and are wired correctly.
Seek advice from Village staff if you are unsure. The University reserves the right to remove any unsafe or
faulty electrical appliances found in your Accommodation. Students can reclaim these from the Village
Manager when they move out of the Accommodation.
When using personal electrical equipment i.e. Kettles, Toasters, Hairdryers etc… Please make sure that
you follow the guidelines below:
All personal electrical equipment must be serviceable - this includes connecting cables and
The use of halogen lamps is not permitted under the terms and conditions of your
Accommodation contract
Additional forms of heating should not be used over and above the heating provided within your
Plugs must be wired in the correct manner and fused according to the manufacturer's
One plug must supply one appliance only.
Cables must not trail across the floor. If extension leads or long cables are used, these must be
placed neatly so as not to cause a trip hazard.
DO NOT place containers of liquid near electrical equipment.
Report any broken/faulty electrical sockets to reception immediately.
You are responsible for any electrical equipment you bring into your flat. The University takes
NO RESPONSIBILITY for damage or injury caused by personal equipment in your
To make sure that the electric circuits to your flat do not 'TRIP OUT' i.e.: switch off, please comply with
the following:
Do not use more than one rice cooker at the same time
Use voltage adaptors with a CE Mark
Do not use voltage adaptors purchased overseas and
Do not use a light bulb with a wattage in excess of 60 watts
Do not use dirty appliances
DO NOT buy re-conditioned electrical items without having a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) carried out
and displaying the appropriate certification on it.
2.16 Electrical safety certificates
All electrical installations within Student Accommodation are inspected and tested in accordance with the
IEE Regulations, currently at least every 5 years, and the results are recorded in an appropriate register
held by the Estates Office.
General Information relating to UK electrical power supply
UK standard plugs have three rectangular pins that form a triangle. British Standard BS 1363 requires use
of a three-wire grounded and fused plug for all connections to the power mains (including Class II, twowire appliances). UK power outlets incorporate shutters on line and neutral contacts to prevent someone
from pushing a foreign object into the socket, such as a 2 pin plug.
2.17 Electric Heating
Bedroom Heaters
Nobo heaters are installed in all study bedrooms, usually under the desk. There is an on and off switch on
the heater itself and an isolation switch on the wall. The heater will heat the room to a temperature of 21
C. There is a round boost button situated on the wall which, when pressed once, increases the
temperature to 24 c for approx 1 hour. The boost switch is an on and off switch for the boost temperature
and if it is pressed for a second time it will switch off the boost and the temperature will remain at 21 C.
The heater has 3 main components;
The element
The module
The control box
The green light will illuminate when the heater has reached a temperature of 21 C.
The green and amber lights illuminate when the heater is operating and indicate that the heater is heating
up the room to a temperature of 21 C. The amber and red light are illuminated when the boost button is
Kitchen Heaters
The same heater is installed in the kitchen. However, the boost switch is on the heater module by the
temperature pointer and not on the wall as with the bedroom heaters. The module will heat the room to
a temperature of 24 C.
Flats 1 to 25 and 75 to 87
The Annexe Heating System – Flats 130 to 154
All the radiators are fitted with Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV). The
TRV controls the temperature of a room by regulating the flow of hot
water to the radiator. The heating is controlled via the BMS system from
the University Campus and is set to provide a maximum temperature of
21°C and 23°C to all of Jarratt Hall room’s. The TRV has 6 settings ranging
from 0 (off) to 5 full flow, providing control of the temperature in your
room up to a maximum of 23°C.
The Re-furbished flats heating system – Flats 26 to 74 and 88 to 129
All the radiators are fitted with Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV). For your convenience they
have been extended up on to the wall above your desk. The TRV controls the temperature of a
room by regulating the flow of hot water to the radiator. The heating is controlled via the BMS
system from the University Campus and is set to provide a maximum temperature of between
21°C and 23°C to all of Jarratt Hall study bedrooms. The TRV has 6 settings ranging from 0 (off)
to 5 full flow, providing control of the temperature in your room up to a maximum of 23°C.
The heating to the whole of the flat is controlled remotely via the Schneider sensor situated in
one of the bedrooms within your flat. This must not be covered at any time as it may affect the
operation of your heating, as must there be no use of any portable heater within the room as
this will create a false temperature reading and also affect the operation of your heating.
2.18 Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)
What is PAT?
Portable Appliance Testing requires that all portable appliances with a mains plug need to be tested to
ensure that they are safe and fit for purpose. Appliances include, but are not restricted to, the following
Computers, monitors and peripherals requiring mains power
Audio and telephone equipment requiring mains power
Kettles, microwave ovens and other kitchen appliances
Vacuum cleaners
Extension leads
Any portable appliances supplied by, or used in the premises by University staff, are inspected and
maintained in accordance with the University’s Electrical Safety Policy. This can be viewed at
2.19 It is a requirement that you should keep your Accommodation clean and tidy so as to provide
reasonably safe environment for all staff who may have to enter your Accommodation, as detailed in
Clause 5 b in your Accommodation contract
2.20 Clause 3 b of your Accommodation contract details the procedure for dealing with any potentially
dangerous personal electric equipment in your Accommodation.
2.21 Water Supplies
All bedrooms and kitchen areas are supplied with separate hot and cold running water to appropriately
marked taps. The cold water supply is drinkable in all rooms both kitchen and study (en suite). It is
advised if you have been away from your residence for more than a few days that you turn on the cold
water supply and let it run for a little while before use.
If any supply is deemed to be undrinkable this will be clearly marked as such.
2.22 Waste water
All waste water is removed via an appropriate trapped connection to the sewerage system.
2.23 Water hygiene
All hot and cold water supplies are maintained in accordance with current Health and Safety executive
Anti-Legionella work, cleaning of shower heads and testing water temperatures is regularly undertaken as
part of a planned maintenance programme by the Estates Office in accordance with HSE and statutory
public health requirements.
2.24 Lighting
Lighting is provided in accordance with the Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers (CIBSE)
recommendations. If you have any queries regarding lighting levels please contact reception who will try
to resolve any concerns you may have.
2C. Security
2.25 Building and room security
A CCTV system is installed at Jarratt Hall with 14 cameras positioned around the site to give full coverage
of the boundaries and landscaped areas. Images are recorded continuously and the cameras are
monitored from Jarratt Hall reception. Please notify a member of staff if you have any concerns regarding
The entrance door to your flat locks automatically. DO NOT PROP THIS DOOR OPEN. Always lock all doors
before leaving the flat. Staff will contact residents if doors are found open.
2.26 All ground and first floor windows to your flat are lockable and fitted with stops to prevent overopening.
Pedestrian access to Jarratt Hall is operated by your encoded University ID card. Do not open the gate or
allow access to the site to anyone you do not know. DO NOT ASSUME THAT SOMEONE FOLLOWING YOU
Staff at Jarratt Hall try to ensure that the site is as safe as possible, however, although there is a member
of staff on duty 24 hours a day, they may not always be on site. It is therefore the responsibility of every
resident to follow the above recommendations to help maintain a safe environment for residents.
Jarratt Hall respects your privacy and 24hrs notice will be given to residents whenever possible regarding
access to study rooms (Exceptions in emergency situations or when other residents may face Health and
safety issues or suspected criminal activity). A log is kept of room access dependent on the circumstances,
if you think someone has entered your room without authority please contact reception immediately.
You have signed for a flat key and a bedroom key. They are your responsibility and must not be passed on
to friends or visitors. Always keep the doors locked and your keys with you.
The entrance door to your flat locks automatically when you close the door behind you but you do need
to lock your study bedroom door when you leave your flat.
Help us to keep Jarratt Hall a safe and secure environment for all residents and staff.
2.27 Security Personnel
University security staff are identifiable by their corporate uniform and all wear University ID badges. All
security staff have been vetted by the current and relevant legislation.
Campus Security
Security Control Room Tel: 0121 414 3000 from your mobile or e-mail: security@bham.ac.uk
Confidential Crime Line Tel: 0121 414 7500 from your mobile
Emergencies Tel: 0121 414 4444 from your mobile
Security are based in the Security Centre Building, which is situated between Aston Webb 'B' Block and
the Great Hall (building number R3 on the campus map) and can be reached either from the Aston Webb
semi-circle lower ground floor or directly off the ring road.
Security policy
Security will almost always be the first public face of the University of Birmingham that a visitor will see.
Therefore, the Section works to the principle of providing a welcoming, friendly and helpful service to
visitors and others entering the campus.
Security provides the first line of protection for the people, the buildings and the land of the University. It
encompasses all aspects of the University's day to day business on and off site.
Security maintain a 24-hour, 365 days a year presence throughout the Edgbaston and Selly Oak campuses,
all main student residences and some non-residential outlying properties. Security provides this coverage
through 5 teams working a continuous shift system, in contact with their base via radio.
For more information relating to University Security please go to
Security Plan
For information on safety on campus and details of the University’s Emergency Management Plan please
go to:
2.29 Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Policy and guidance
The University has installed CCTV to Jarratt Hall where images are recorded continuously and monitored
from reception areas for security purposes. You must not tamper with this apparatus.
The University complies with current government standards regarding CCTV use and under the provisions
of the Data Protection Act 1998, if you wish to see an image(s) of yourself you need to submit a “subject
access request” in writing to the Information Compliance Manager in Legal Services.
The Information Compliance Manager will decide whether the image(s) is/are still in existence and
whether to release the image(s). There is currently a charge of £10 for this service and you should include
a cheque for £10 payable to “The University of Birmingham” with your “subject access request”
A copy of the University’s Data Protection Policy is available at
A copy of the University’s Codes of Practice, including CCTV Code of Practice
2D. Kitchen facilities, food storage, washing facilities, furnishings and other matters
furnishing, cleaning routines and other matters
2.30 Kitchen and food hygiene advice
The facilities within your kitchen should be maintained in good order and repair with all equipment
supplied in working order. If when you move in you find that any item is defective or missing please
record this on the Inventory Form which has been left in your room and return to the Village reception
within 48 hours of moving in.
www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/accommodation/OfferpackInformation.aspx and download a copy or
call into the Village reception for another copy.
Washing your hands is important
Some germs can stay alive on our hands for up to three hours and in that time they can be spread to all
the things you touch - including food and other people. So wash your hands regularly throughout the day
and especially at these times. Remember germs spread more easily if hands are wet
Always wash your hands before
Preparing food
Always wash between:
Handling raw foods (meat, fish, poultry and eggs) and touching any other food or kitchen utensils
Always wash after:
Handling raw foods, particularly meat, fish, and poultry
Going to the toilet
Touching refuse/waste bins
Coughing or sneezing, especially if you are unwell
The number of germs on fingertips doubles after using the toilet
When cooking, do not leave food unattended, stay in kitchen
After cooking, clean away any spillages removing any grease with a cloth or scourer and cream
cleanser and rinse with a damp cloth
Do not leave the cooker top dirty for the next person
Switch cooker off after use to prevent the risk of fire and save energy
GRILL (middle)
Do Not shut grill door when in use
Do not use aluminium foil in the grill pan
Clean the grill pan in hot soapy water to remove grease after use - (excess fat or oil can catch
OVEN (bottom)
Never cook food on the metal racks in the oven without using an ovenproof dish,
plate or tray
Clean all spillages after use with a cloth or scourer and cream cleaner and rinse with a damp
EXTRACTOR (over cooker)
Do not let grease or fat build up, clean regularly with warm water and cream cleanser and cloth
Do not use any metal container or aluminium foil inside when cooking.
Clean all spillages after use with a cloth
Do not over fill fridge or freezer with food
Throw away unwanted or out of date food regularly
Clean up any spillages inside and out with a cloth
Defrost regularly, preferably at least once every term, which will ensure the appliance works
efficiently to keep your food correctly chilled/frozen.
DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner to clean up any liquid spillages (use a mop & bucket)
Use a vacuum cleaner on all carpeted areas
Remember to empty the vacuum cleaner bag regularly (see reception for replacement bags)
Use a mop & bucket to clean vinyl flooring in the bathroom & kitchen
After preparing meals, wipe all surfaces clean
DO NOT leave worktops, dining table dirty for the next person
DO NOT put HOT pans straight on to worktops, dining table or window sills (damages will be
charged for)
Use rice cookers away from under wall cupboards, steam can cause damage to the cupboards
Wash all crockery items after use, using washing up liquid, dry and put away in cupboards
DO NOT pour grease, fat or food (rice & noodles) into the sink
DO NOT leave sink, drainer, worktops cluttered with bottles, pans, jars
Always use a black bin liner in the kitchen refuse bin and keep the lid down to reduce smells
Throw all waste food in refuse bin
Empty refuse bin when full and place in external bins provided on site
Wash bin inside and out after removing rubbish to sanitise
Remember that rotting food waste will smell and cause germs. Remove from the kitchen regularly
2.31 Food Storage
Cold storage (fridge and freezer) is provided in your kitchen with each resident having access to one shelf
in both the fridge and the freezer.
Cooking on a Budget
Shop Smart – make sure you don’t buy more food than you can use, stop waste and save your money
Make a list and stick to it – only buy what you need and resist those special offers not on your list
Buy basic ingredients and make your own meals – it is cheaper and healthier
Say no to carrier bags – Reuse your carrier bags or buy some “bags for life” and use these each time
you go shopping
Rather than all of you shopping individually why not bulk shop together as a household, it will be
cheaper, offer you more variety and taking it in turns cooking means you won’t have to cook for
yourself every night!
Cooking as a household will save you time and reduce the amount of energy and carbon emissions
produced from cooking one large meal for everyone rather than a number of small individual meals
If you shop together as a household it will be cheaper and more environmentally friendly if you shop
on-line as a household and have the goods delivered to your door
Shop seasonally and save on Food Miles. It is obvious that in the winter months you will pay much
more for summer produce flown in from the other side of the world
Plan your meals so you are not forced to throw away out of date food
The average person in the UK throws away over £400 worth of perfectly good food each year
2.32 Bathroom, Toilet and Shower areas
Info/Advice required
There are no communal bathroom or toilet facilities at Jarratt Hall, all accommodation is en-suite.
It is important you report any cracks in sanitary ware, or problems as soon as possible to maintain
standards and prevent any Health and Safety issues developing.
Always flush toilet after use
Toilet paper can be flushed down the toilet
Clean inside the toilet with brush (provided) and toilet cleaner
Clean toilet seat and exterior of toilet with a cloth
Clean inside and out using a cloth or sponge and cream cleaner
Clean under and around taps
Ensure that plughole/outlet is free of hair( report to Reception if water not draining away)
Do not throw any food away (rice/noodles) down the sink.
Clean tiled area and any shelving and mirrors
Clean shower or bath with cloth or sponge and cream cleaner after use
Remove hair from plughole/outlet regularly (report at Reception if water not draining away)
Regularly clean flooring, using an all-purpose cleaner and a mop
Wash the shower curtain regularly
Please remember DO NOT use the following to clean your toilet, wash hand basin or shower
These items will NOT help clean the above areas and may cause damage
2.33 En suite facilities
The following items are provided within the en suite element of your bedroom:
Shower Pod
Sink separate hot and cold taps
Toilet brush and Holder
Towel rail
Toilet roll holder
2.33 Shower Controls
2.34 Furnishing quality
When you move into your accommodation it should be clean and in good repair if you are not satisfied
with the condition of your room or kitchen area, please indicate your concerns or defects on the
Inventory Form or contact reception immediately
All study bedrooms are equipped with the following:
Bed (Bedding is included for Postgraduate (PG) flats)
Desk and chair
Notice board
Chest of drawers
Data point* (connection to the high speed campus network)
Cookers, microwave, fridges and freezer are provided in all flats, with personal cooking utensils being
provided in the PG flats
2.35 Cleaning
Your responsibilities
You are responsible for cleaning your own room/en-suite, and has joint responsibility for the
We recommend you agree with your flatmates a cleaning rota for removal of rubbish, cleaning cooker
etc… as soon as possible after you move in
Always use a black bin liner in the kitchen refuse bin. (Not supplied)
Remember to clean and tidy up when you have used the kitchen as others have to use it too
If standards of cleanliness are repeatedly unacceptable, contract cleaners may be brought in and
residents recharged for the cleaning work.
Advice on cleaning certain items in your flat is available on vinyl notices in your kitchen and bathroom.
Please ask if you require advice.
A Cleaning Display showing which cleaning products to use to clean different areas is located in the
archway by the courtyard. Please ask if you require advice.
Please note that the shower curtain should be washed and dried on a regular basis in the launderettes.
Replacement vacuum cleaner bags are available from reception for a small charge, currently 55 pence.
Our responsibilities
The stairwells are cleaned weekly
The launderettes and social room are cleaned daily
Full service level agreement requirements regarding what and how the common areas and launderettes
are cleaned is available at the reception for viewing.
If you are not satisfied with the standard of cleanliness or experience any problems please report them to
reception immediately.
2.36 Laundry facilities
We have a large launderette on site, near to Flats 88 and 89. Specific details regarding charges and how to
operate the machines are provided for your information within the launderette.
DO NOT OVERLOAD the machines they will not work and refunds cannot be given.
The launderette is checked and cleaned each morning by Jarratt Hall staff. If you are not satisfied with the
standard of cleanliness or experience any problems please report them to Reception immediately.
2.37 Energy
Included within your residence fees is an allowance to cover the average cost of providing utility services
(gas, where applicable, electricity and water) to your Accommodation for the Accommodation Period
based on the previous year's expenditure for your residence.
We would ask you to be sensible with regard to your usage of these essential services to help reduce the
impact on the environment and to help the University keep its carbon emissions and energy costs to a
You should try to help us conserve energy and these resources or not use these services in a wasteful
manner. We also reserve the right to make an additional charge to reflect a fair and reasonable
proportion of the additional cost of utilities used in your Residence during the Accommodation Period
over and above the allowance we already made within your residence fees.
Should we have to make such an additional charge we will give you notice of the amount and a
reasonable amount of time to pay together with a breakdown of the increased utility charges that the
University is trying to recover a fair and reasonable proportion of.
2.38 Post and Mail
Your address:
Flats 1 – 87, Jarratt Hall, 55 Dale Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 6FQ
Flats 88 – 154, Jarratt Hall, 55 Dale Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 6FG
Letters will be delivered by Royal Mail directly to your flat/post box
All registered letters and packages will be delivered to your Flat. The University of Birmingham is
unable to accept any registered letters or packages on residents behalf.
When you leave Jarratt Hall at the end of the contract period, you need to ensure that your mail is redirected to your new address. Information on this and an application form are available from
3. Internet facilities
ASK4 provide Jarratt Hall residents with full wireless broadband access to the internet.
To connect to the internet, please follow the instructions below
For information on the services supplied by ASK4 including essential pre-arrival information, please visit
by clicking the image
To contact ASK4 with pre-arrival queries or assistance when you move in, call the support team on 0114
303 3232. Alternatively, text ‘help me’ to 07797 800 545 to receive a call back or
email support@ask4.com
4. Maintenance and Repair Regimes
4.1 Approved contractors
Where the University is directly responsible for repairs and maintenance these will be carried out by
appropriately identified University employed staff or external contractors from the University’s approved
list held by the Estates Office
4.2 Repair response times
When you report a fault, it will be given a priority, which is based on the seriousness of the problem, as
Priority 1
Emergency: Response immediate
Works if not carried out immediately will endanger the health and or welfare of staff,
students, public etc.
Failure of an essential service e.g. electricity, heating, emergency
lighting to public areas, severe water leak or no lighting in whole flat - Immediate
Priority 2
Urgent: Response Within 24 hours
Urgent or essential work which does not present an immediate threat as above, but
which if not attended to within a 24 hour period could, or result in a call-out outside
normal hours.
Examples: No heating or hot water to specific areas, blocked storm or foul drains, no
lighting to specific areas
Priority 3
Response Within 5 Working Days
Work if not carried out within 5 working days could result in the quality of the service
provided, further deterioration or additional costs or inconvenience
Examples: Overflowing external gutters, shower waste draining slowly or toilet seat
loose or no power at socket, door re-hanging
Priority 4
Response Within 10 Working Days
Work of a non-urgent nature that can be planned in advance
Examples: General plastering, tiling or replace cooker extractor bulb and most planned
maintenance items
Priority 5
Response As Agreed With Users
Work on a defect which has been programmed for a date in the future because access
may not be available or awaiting parts
Examples: Internal decoration programmed in to a planned maintenance schedule
Please note the priorities above assume there is no urgent Health and Safety issue involved.
In some cases the fault may be referred to the Estates Office or another outside contractor. When this is
the case it may not be possible to meet the above response times. You will however be informed of any
delays and if you have any concerns regarding timescales please contact reception.
Repairs can be carried out when you are not in your room with your permission and a maintenance calling
card will be left giving you information on the completion of the repair.
Reporting repairs
Please report any faults or damage immediately to reception, either by phone email
jarrattreception@contacts.bham.ac.uk or in person. Remember to make a note of the job number this
will be required if you wish to raise a query regarding the repair.
Although 90% of repairs are carried out by Jarratt Hall staff on occasions it may be necessary to pass the
work on to the University’s Estates Office or an outside contractor if specific skills are required. This may
delay response times, however, you will be informed if this is the case. When an outside contractor is
required they will be supervised whilst in your Accommodation.
Please do not authorise any contractors to do repairs without written permission from the Village
Manager or you may be held responsible for paying the bill. If additional damage is caused to the
Accommodation due to failure to report defects and repairs promptly, additional charges may be incurred
for which you might be held responsible.
When you report a fault, it will be given a priority, which is based on the seriousness of the problem, as
P1 Severe water leak or no lighting in whole flat Immediate response
P2 No hot water or no heating Response within 24 hrs
P3 Shower waste draining slowly or toilet seat loose Response within 5 working days
P4 Door banging or replace cooker extractor bulb Response within 10 working days
P5 Replace filter in extractor or internal painting can be programmed in to a schedule
Please note the priorities above assume there is no urgent Health and Safety issue involved.
In some cases the fault may be referred to the Estates Office or another outside contractor. When this is
the case it may not be possible to meet the above response times. You will however be informed of any
delays and if you have any concerns regarding timescales please contact reception.
Repairs can be carried out when you are not in your room with your permission and a note will be left
giving you information on the completion of the repair.
4.3 Maintenance
All maintenance works should be undertaken so as not to inconvenience you. This will not always be
possible with unplanned or reactive maintenance.
For planned maintenance seven day’s notice should normally be given to you and endeavours will be
made to avoid sensitive periods, such as during examinations.
For urgent work the minimum notice period should be 24 hours unless an emergency requires immediate
Pest Control
If you have any concerns regarding pests in or outside of your accommodation please report these to the
Reception and a specialist contractor will be instructed to attend to deal with appropriate treatment. The
contractor will attend to investigate within 24 hours of the report being received and will carry out
appropriate treatment for the pest or infestation
Planned maintenance
Testing of fire detection equipment and emergency lighting are carried out most weeks on a Monday and
Thursday and Friday. Cleaning shower heads and testing water temperatures, as part of the University’s
anti Legionella work, is carried out on a regular basis.
Please see the whiteboard by reception for information about this.
Some repair work identified by staff will be carried out to rooms and flats during the year.
General Repair Information
You may notice the above label in your flat or in buildings on the Edgbaston and Selly Oak campuses. The
purpose of the labels is to advise any contractors who need to work in these locations to contact the
Estates Office to seek appropriate information and advice before commencing any maintenance or repair
In areas where there is a label present if you see signs of any damage to walls, ceilings or services please
report this to the Village Reception immediately.
4.4 Construction quality
All student residences have been properly constructed, altered or refurbished and maintained in
accordance with the appropriate building, planning and housing legislation current at the time of
Relevant approval notices and certificates will be made available for inspection by prior arrangement by
contacting your Village reception.
4.5 Grounds maintenance
Service Provision for the Landscape Maintenance provided by Grounds and Gardens
All planting and fences around residences will be maintained to be tidy and to minimise opportunities for
concealment of intruders. Principal pathways and car parks should be hard paved (or have another
Grounds maintenance is the responsibility of the University’s Grounds and Gardens Section.
Covering both campuses, outdoor sports facilities, residential sites and outstations means they manage
180 hectares of land being responsible for grass cutting, planting, pruning, tree work, litter and road
sweeping. In addition to this, 8000 annual bedding plants are replaced twice per year and oversee the
interior planter contract. Their activities create up to 400m³ of green waste every year, which we recycle
into compost.
4.6 Litter clearance
Grounds will be regularly cleared of rubbish and litter picking will take place daily whenever possible
(weather permitting). Students will be expected to behave responsibly and to avoid causing, or adding to,
litter. The respective service level agreement is detailed below:
Litter Picking and Sweeping
All campus sites will be cleared of litter utilising a manual and mechanical means. All
areas will be serviced and cleared in a priority order and the operators will also be
responsible for the emptying of litterbins as required.
All areas as detailed will be serviced on a daily/weekly schedule and the majority of this
work will be completed during early mornings.
All sites are constantly monitored on a daily basis.
Any problems associated with the cleanliness of any external areas within the grounds
should be reported to the office for the appropriate action. Details that may be
required are description of problem and location.
If you have concerns regarding litter or rubbish accumulation, please contact the reception.
4.7 Snow and ice clearance policy (Campus)
For information on the snow and ice clearance policy please see below:
Gritting, Salting and Snow Clearing
We will provide a comprehensive gritting and salting service during periods of inclement
weather; this will be actioned as required over all campus sites. Snow clearing will also
be carried out in addition to the above as required utilising manual and mechanical
means by direct labour and all contractors.
All areas as detailed will be serviced on a prioritised schedule and the majority of this
work will be completed during early mornings, while still reactive to prevalent weather
conditions. Priority will be given to main routes to campus for emergency access,
vehicles and pedestrians
All areas will be monitored on a daily basis to ensure that the priority order is
maintained and that all additional requests for assistance are serviced.
Any problems associated with the clearance of external areas should be reported to the office for the
appropriate action.
5. Environmental Quality
5.1 Energy efficiency
We aim to ensure that your accommodation is suitably heated, ventilated and supplied with hot water
and power, the cost of which is included within your residence fees based upon previous year’s
The consumption of energy within the residences accounts for a fifth of the university’s total carbon
footprint the impact of which has been reduce by a programme of upgrading the building stock, specify
energy reduction projects, action by residences and supplying specific buildings with heat and power from
onsite generation schemes.
This has resulted in emissions per bed space reducing by 25% since 2005/2006 and will decrease further
over the coming years (see further details below).
We would ask you to be sensible with regard to your usage of these essential services to help
reduce the impact on the environment and to help the University keep its carbon emissions and
energy costs to a minimum.
We do ask that you are prudent with your use of energy and do not waste an expensive (environmentally,
socially and economically) resource by taking simple actions:
Please only heat your room to the temperature required, 20°C should be plenty.
Do not leave the windows open and the radiators on especially when you have left
your room.
Water is expensive to heat, thus only fill the kettle with the water required.
For further information please contact staff on Reception or your Customer Service Manager
Adopting wise environmental behaviour is part of being a global citizen and is a skill and attitude you
should take into your future professional and personal life.
Carbon Reduction in residences
There is an ongoing programme of upgrading the building stock which has seen double glazing, high
efficiency condensing boilers and energy efficient appliances installed.
A combined heat and power scheme has been installed in the Mason Energy Centre to provide
heat and power
Jarratt Hall is being refurbished in stages and the old electric heating replaced with heat
supplied from the university’s combined heat and power scheme, which also supplies power to
the building.
High efficiency LED lighting has been installed in a number of residences including Jarratt,
Shackleton, Ashcroft, Elgar Court, and the Spinney
Photovoltaic panels have been installed on Centre Court with funding from the Residences
Association. The fiscal benefits achieved will be used to fund further green projects (additional
PV units are/will be installed in the Bio Hub, new library and the Sports Centre/Swimming Pool).
Carbon Reduction in the University
The University has committed to reducing its carbon footprint by 20% by 2020 and while close to
achieving this objective today will need continued focus to accommodate expansion of activities.
By recycling and cutting the amount of energy they use, residents can help us reach this target.
For more information on the Carbon Trust go to www.carbontrust.com/home
Concerned about climate change?
Want to do your bit to help cut greenhouse gas emissions?
If yes, why not start by being more energy efficient in your residence TODAY?
In 2003 in the UK, the energy we used in our homes produced almost a third of the carbon dioxide
emissions entering the atmosphere.
Carbon dioxide is one of the main contributors to the man-made ‘greenhouse’ effect, where by heat from
the sun is trapped in the atmosphere and results in an increase in the temperature of the Earth – global
The great news is that you don’t have to spend any money to help save energy and reduce carbon
dioxide emissions. Saving energy will also help reduce fuel bills - you may not pay directly for these now,
but may well do in the future when gas and electricity prices are even higher!
Follow these simple tips to save energy and money, now and in the future:
Turn electronic equipment off standby and remember not to leave cordless phones on charge
More of us than ever have consumer electrical products like personal computers, DVD players, set
top boxes etc. Households in the UK now spend around 10% of their electricity bill on standby power,
wasting £37 each year.
Do your bit and turn your computer, television and all other electrical products off at the wall when
not in use! NB: please check the user manual first.
Only heat the amount of water you really need when boiling a kettle
If we all did this instead of “filling” the kettle every time, we could save enough electricity in a year to
run nearly half of the street lighting in the country!
Have control over your heating? Is it too warm? Turn the thermostat down by 1ºC.
Boilers used in home heating systems account for 60% of household carbon dioxide emissions.
Where you have control over your central heating system turning the thermostat down by 1 degree
will reduce energy use and help cut heating bills by up to 10%.
Don’t leave fridge doors open for longer than necessary as cold air will escape
Also avoid putting hot or warm food straight into the fridge, allow it to cool down first, and defrost
your freezer regularly to keep it running efficiently and cheaply. If your freezer tends to frost up
quickly, check the door seal.
Always wash a full load in your washing machine or if you can’t, use a half-load or economy
Use a low temperature programme, as most modern washing powders will be just as effective at
lower temperatures. If you are using a tumble dryer, wring out or spin-dry really wet clothes before
putting them in - this will save you money, and help them dry faster.
Don’t throw money down the drain - always put the plug in your basin or sink when running hot
Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows
Always turn lights off when you leave a room and adjust your curtains or blinds to let in as much
light as possible during the day.
In most homes, lighting accounts for 10 – 15% of the electricity bill and a 100W light bulb left on for
just 30 minutes creates enough CO2 to fill a party balloon.
A great source of further information and advice is the energy saving trust website, go to
What is the University doing about Climate Change?
Along with many research and teaching activities aimed at solving the challenges of climate change, the
University is keen everyone can play a part. Most of the University’s carbon emissions are from energy
production. We have our own efficient gas turbines on the main campus, which produce heat and
electricity. Energy conservation can have a major impact on reducing our carbon footprint.
The University’s Carbon Management Implementation Plan, which was approved by the Vice Chancellor
and senior management team, has identified various cost effective projects to reduce these emissions and
give an absolute saving of 6% of the University’s carbon emissions over a five year period.
What can I do when I leave Student Accommodation?
Carry on the good work learnt in student accommodation. You’ll be responsible for the energy costs
5.2 Refuse collection
It is your responsibility to collect all your refuse and non-recyclable waste in black refuse sacks and place
these in the dedicated bin areas at your residence.
Refuse is collected from these points on a weekly basis by Veolia Environmental Services on a Monday
and Thursday.
There are three bin areas situated around Jarratt Hall for general refuse. They are situated at each end of
the site and in the middle section behind the substation.
The bins are removed to the central courtyard area on a Sunday and Wednesday afternoon, so the refuse
contractors can empty them the following morning. They are then returned to their respective locations
the same day whenever possible.
5.3 Recycling
Veolia Environmental Services provides a range of recycling facilities on all three student Villages and we
would encourage you to recycle as much as possible using the facilities provided. Recycling is collected
weekly on Wednesday.
The University is committed to reducing the environmental impact of all areas of its operation, including
student residences.
For more information on the University and the environment please click on the links below:
The University’s Environmental Policy
The University and the Environment
In line with the University's recycling initiative, the Vale provides facilities for recycling glass bottles,
aluminum cans, plastic, paper and cardboard and batteries. In addition, we work with a national charity,
British Heart Foundation (BHF) and provide charity banks for you to recycle unwanted clothes, textiles,
shoes and other items. Please see charity clothes bins for more detail on the items which you can recycle.
The clearly labeled recycling bins are located close to the three bin areas on site. The following list
explains what can be recycled in each bin type:
Mixed Recycling Bin for:
Cardboard, empty plastic bottles such as water bottles and coloured bottles such as bleach and
milk bottles, empty food and drink cans and biscuit tins
Glass Wheelie Bins for:
All glass empty bottles and jars
BHF Charity Bank for:
Clothes, textiles, shoes and other unwanted items
Battery Recycling
A battery recycling bin is located in Jarratt Reception for all used domestic batteries
Each flat is provided with 2 GREG Recycling bags to collect your paper and cardboard glass, plastic bottles
and cans and take them to the recycling areas on a regular basis.
Recycling Tips
Good luck with your move in to your new home – recycling starts here:
Recycle or re-use the packaging you have just used to bring your personal possessions to university.
Flatten those cardboard boxes and recycle them at the recycling points on your Student Village or
store them in your room for reuse at the end of the academic year
Check at reception for details of what products you can recycle
If a glass bottle can be returned then return it. If not, then recycle it. Please try to use the bottle
banks during the day to avoid disturbing our neighbours and the local community
Choose products in packaging that you know can be recycled
Wherever possible buy products made from recycled materials
Avoid heavily packaged products like ready meals and convenience foods for your health and the
environment. If you buy them recycle the packaging
Purchase loose food rather than pre-packaged, it is usually cheaper and better for the environment
than packaged goods
Use an air tight plastic container for your packed lunch rather than disposable wrapping, cling film
or aluminium foil
Choose rechargeable items over disposable ones, such as batteries and cameras
If you are buying new electrical items check their energy efficiency and choose an A rated product
Think before you print. Read e-mails, work etc on screen and store it electronically on your PC,
Laptop or tablet only print if absolutely necessary
Where available, set the default printing settings on your PC to double-sided or print two pages on
Reuse scrap paper by using the unused side and recycle the paper when finished with it. Please be
careful, shred any paper which may contain personal, financial or other confidential details and
then recycle
Use notebooks made from recycled paper for your lecture or tutorial notes or even better and
cheaper make your own from scrap paper
Reuse envelopes by placing sticky labels over the original address
Please help us to help the environment
Do your bit - Recycle it!
5.4 Car parking
The University has a very limited number of parking spaces on its residential sites and therefore you are
not encouraged to bring your own vehicle.
In general terms, you are NOT permitted to park vehicles on any of the Villages since parking spaces are
not provided for residents.
Exceptions to parking to the parking restrictions above are as follows:
You are permitted to park on site when you are moving in or out of your accommodation, for a
limited period of time to load or unload your vehicle.
Parking permits may be authorised for the available designated parking spaces at the Vale Village
and Pritchatts Park Village, but NOT Selly Oak Village, if there are specific medical circumstances
or if it is a requirement specific to a course. For further details see Clause 10 (c) in the terms and
conditions of the Online Contract for University Accommodation
Parking restrictions apply across the whole of the Vale village and are detailed on notices. Contraventions
to the parking restrictions are closely monitored and managed by village accommodation staff and
penalty charge notices may be issued.
For more information on parking and travel please go to
5.5. Good neighbour policy
Please be aware that you are living in a residential area and that residents on Dale Road are shown
consideration particularly at night.
Your contract with the University (Clause 10 e) clearly states:
"You must ensure that no disturbance, inconvenience, nuisance or annoyance is caused to any other
resident(s) in the Residence or the neighboring vicinity by any form of antisocial behaviour by you or your
authorised guests in the Accommodation. You must keep noise to a minimum, both during the daytime
but particularly at night i.e. between the hours of 11.00pm and 8.00am."
Please report any noise or disturbance issues to reception at Jarratt Hall. All information given will be
logged and will be treated with strict confidence. Jarratt Hall staff are contactable 24 hours a day.
The sooner we know of a problem the sooner we can help.
Some examples of anti-social behaviour include, but are not restricted to:
Music played loud during the night (repeatedly)
Slamming doors late at night
Frequent noisy parties
Groups of residents/visitors talking loudly and being noisy etc.
A member of staff will investigate the complaint and decide what action to take, such as requesting the
music be turned off.
Please be advised that repeated complaints which result in university security officers attending site could
lead to disciplinary action or Notice to Quit your Accommodation.
6. Landlord and tenant relationship
6A. Policies and Procedures
Residence fees
Below is an extract from the Accommodation contract which describes how your residence fees can be
paid. The residence fee increases are discussed and agreed by representatives of Hospitality and
Accommodation Services and the Guild of Students in the autumn for the following academic session as
part of the Residence Fees Sub Committee.
For more information about the range of residence fees and types of accommodation go to
www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/accommodation/halls/index.aspx and click on “University of
Birmingham Accommodation Guide”
You must pay your Residence Fees at the times and in the manner set out in the online contract
without deduction or set-off.
Further information on making payments can be found at
You must notify the Finance Office or Living, the University’s accommodation service, immediately in
writing if you are in financial difficulties and unable to pay your Residence Fees on their due date
outlining your difficulties and your proposals for payment.
An offer of accommodation is accepted by you on the understanding that you will remain in the
Accommodation for the full Accommodation Period. If you move out of the Accommodation before
the end of the Accommodation Period, you will remain responsible for the Residence Fees for the
entire Accommodation Period unless you withdraw from your studies at the University of
Birmingham and cease to be a registered student or, you find a student to replace you who is both
acceptable to Living and is someone who is not already living in other University owned or managed
accommodation. Refunds of Residence Fees are only given where the University is able to re-let the
Accommodation for the remainder of the Accommodation Period
You must clear, clean and vacate the Accommodation by no later than 10.00 am on the day the
Accommodation Period ends otherwise Residence Fees will continue to be charged at the full rate
until this has been done. You must return the original (not duplicate) keys to the Reception and they
must not be handed to another student. If keys are not returned on the day your contract ends, you
will be charged £75.00 for the cost of the replacement lock and keys.
The University reserves the right to change the location of your Accommodation and in accepting our
offer of accommodation you agree that you will move when requested from one room to another on
the same site or to another Residence.
If you are a student without a mobility disability occupying a mobility adapted room you should be
aware that you will be expected to move out to a standard unadapted room on the same site or to
another Residence whenever the University so requires, for a student with a mobility disability, giving
you at least one week's notice.
You are permitted to request a transfer to another room on the site or to another University
Residence, subject to availability. You will be charged £50 as a contribution towards the University's
administrative and cleaning costs.
Please note that an application for accommodation is not an application for admission to the
University as a student or vice versa.
If you are in arrears with the payment of Residence Fees (or any other payment due and owing under
this Contract) then the University reserves its rights to take both enforcement action for nonpayment and also to issue a notice for you to vacate the Accommodation should it so decide
Residence fees - Collection and methods of payment
When you accept the University’s accommodation offer, you will also need to select your intended
method of payment of the residence fees. Please note that once you have opted for a particular method
of payment, you will not be able to change it during the Accommodation Period.
Included in your offer of accommodation and contract you will find instructions on how to accept your
accommodation and make payment.
If you wish to pay your residence fees by a single payment please use one of the methods in the Payment
Form, and no £550 pre-payment is required.
If you wish to pay your residence fees by Direct Debit you must also pay a £550 pre-payment towards
your residence fees when you accept the University’s offer in order to secure your accommodation. You
are required to pay this online via the accommodation portal by either debit or credit card. Upon moving
into your University accommodation, the £550 will be deducted from your total residence fees, and the
remaining balance will be divided into equal instalments, with any odd pence being added to the first
instalment. You will also need to complete and sign a credit agreement in accordance with the Consumer
Credit Act 1974. This will be forwarded to you by the Finance Office once your direct debit instruction has
been processed. In the event of unpaid instalments or cheques, a reasonable administration fee of not
more than £25 will be levied for each rejected entry.
If you decide not to move into the accommodation reserved for you after you have accepted the
University’s offer, then you must let Living know in writing immediately so that the University can try to
re-let the accommodation. The University shall be entitled to deduct its reasonable administrative costs
together with the amount necessary to cover residence fees for the period that the accommodation
remains unlet before refunding the remaining balance held back to you.
You can access your online contract at any time by logging back into the accommodation portal. For
students with paper contracts, please safely retain the “Student Copy” of the signed appendix and this
contract for your future reference. You will need to show photographic identification at your residence’s
reception when you arrive to pick up the keys to your accommodation.
Termination and cancellation of contract
An offer of accommodation is accepted by you on the understanding that you will remain in the
Accommodation for the full Accommodation Period. If you move out of the Accommodation before the
end of the Accommodation Period, you will remain responsible for the Residence Fees for the entire
Accommodation Period unless you withdraw from your studies at the University of Birmingham and cease
to be a registered student or, you find a student to replace you who is both acceptable to Living and is
someone who is not already living in other University owned or managed accommodation. Refunds of
Residence Fees are only given where the University is able to re-let the Accommodation for the remainder
of the Accommodation Period
Transfers and Relocation
You are permitted to request a transfer to another room on the site or to another University Residence,
subject to availability. You will be charged £50 as a contribution towards the University's administrative
and cleaning costs. Please contact Living, in University Centre for more details in early October.
The University reserves the right to change the location of your Accommodation and in accepting our
offer of accommodation you agree that you will move when requested from one room to another on the
same site or to another Residence.
If you are a student without a mobility disability occupying a mobility adapted room you should be aware
that you will be expected to move out to a standard unadapted room on the same site or to another
Residence whenever the University so requires, for a student with a mobility disability, giving you at least
one week's notice.
We aim to provide you with a high quality service and we take a positive approach to all complaints
received and view them as feedback from our customers. Complaints provide Student Accommodation
with valuable information that allows us to assess our standards and performance in order to review our
policy and procedures to improve service delivery.
A complaint can be summarized as an expression of dissatisfaction with the standard of service or a lack
of action that affects those customers using the service.
download a complaint form and complete and return to Reception
For the Complaint Policy and Guidance please go to
www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/Living-with-us/Codeofpractice.aspx and click on
“Guidance Notes”
Concerns, Comments and Suggestions
If you would like to contact us to raise a concern, make a comment or suggestion rather than lodging a
complaint we would be keen to hear from you.
Please go to www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/Living-with-us/Codeofpractice.aspx
and click on “On-Line Accommodation Feedback Form” complete and submit the on-line form.
Inventory Form
If when you move in you find that any item is defective or missing please record this on the Inventory
Form which has been left in your room and return to the Village reception within 48 hours of moving in.
and download another
copy or call into the Village reception for another copy.
Access to bedrooms
The University reserves the right to enter and search your Accommodation with the consent of the Village
Manager or equivalent, in the interests of safety, health or the maintenance of law and order or to carry
out essential repairs or maintenance.
If access is required to your Accommodation you will be given at least 24 hours notice in advance.
Forgotten your keys
A member of staff will allow access upon request and verification of occupant by showing your University
ID Card. However, please note that repeated frequent requests may be subject to a charge.
Lost or damaged keys
Please report these to Reception immediately where you will be asked to fill in a ‘Key Replacement Form’.
The cost of replacement keys can be obtained from reception and will only be issued after payment is
Please note, if a lock is damaged and needs to be changed, there will be a minimum charge of £75.00
Returning keys
Please return the original keys (not duplicates) to reception where they will be signed in. If reception is
closed, place them in an envelope with your flat & room number and use the letterbox within the
reception door - a staff member will sign them in. We do not recommend that you leave keys with friends
to return as charges will be made for late or non-return of keys.
Rules on visitors and guests
In some Residences it may be possible to have a guest staying overnight. This may be in a specified guest
bedroom, which can be booked from the Village Manager upon payment of a fee. Where no guest
bedroom is available you may, at the sole discretion of the Village Manager, accommodate a visitor in the
Accommodation for a maximum of two nights in a row on an occasional basis only. For fire safety reasons
any visitor's presence must be notified to the Village Manager or other designated person (who has
responsibility for evacuation). This procedure may be varied at the discretion of the Village Manager.
6B Communication between Management and student
So that prospective students may make informed decisions on their choice of accommodation we provide
clear and accurate information on student accommodation covering the following key areas:
Eligibility to apply for University accommodation
Application forms appropriate to the type(s) of accommodation available and an on-line application
The application process for residential accommodation
Charges applicable to each room type and payment terms
Length of the contract period for each residence
Contract terms and conditions for University accommodation
Details on the use of cars and the provision of car parking and cycle storage
These details and more are available on the Student Accommodation web site at
6.1 Management Structure and contact details
Management structure – Student Accommodation
Residential and Environmental Services
Organisation Chart
Cleaning Services
Frances Warriner
Policy and
Environmental Services
Peter Larkin
The Vale Village
Alison Mear
Director of Residential and
Environmental Services
Lesley Stewart
Manager, Student
Accommodation &
Timothy Owen
General Manager,
Byron Thomas
Manager, Pritchatts Park
and Selly Oak Villages
Brynda Kirk
Jarratt Hall
The Team, who provide a 24 hour service 365 days
per year, can be contacted on the following numbers
0121 415 1011
07796 937 103
6.2 Insurance
The University will not be liable for injury or the loss of, or damage, to any personal property in University
accommodation except in cases of negligence on its part. Personal possessions insurance cover is
provided within your residence fees. You are required to familiarise yourself with the cover provided by
the insurer (as set out in their documentation supplied to you) and to arrange for additional cover, where
required, yourself. Please note that cover is only provided for the Accommodation Period. You should
report non-receipt of the relevant insurance documentation to Accommodation Services and the
documentation will be forwarded to you.
The personal possessions insurance which is included in your residence fee is core cover insurance with
Endsleigh Insurance. This provides core cover including desktop and laptop computers in your room.
Insurance cover is only provided for the accommodation contract period which applies to your
Details of cover and the policy are provided in your accommodation offer pack.
For further details regarding what core insurance cover is provided and whether you wish to extend the
cover please go to
6C Contractual relationship
6.3 Accommodation contract
You will have received your Accommodation contract with your offer which you should have signed and
returned to Accommodation Services. This is a legally binding contract which sets out the University’s
obligations and your obligations as a resident. You are advised to read these terms and conditions
carefully so that you are aware of the contractual relationship between the University and yourself. If you
have any queries regarding the terms and conditions please contact Accommodation Services.
A copy of the Accommodation contract is available at
The Accommodation contract sets out the terms and conditions of occupation and the relationship
between yourself and the University of Birmingham. As part of this relationship we are legally obliged to
observe your privacy under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Under the terms of this Act we are not allowed to share with a third party any of your personal
information or details unless you sign a Disclosure of Information Form giving your permission for us to do
so. If we are contacted by a third party, including your parent(s) we will explain this and send them a
Disclosure of Information Form to send to you to complete and return to the Village reception or
Accommodation Services.
This 3 Party Disclosure Form is available to download at
7. Student Support
Student Mentor Scheme
The Student Mentor Scheme provides advice and guidance to all students whilst living in University
accommodation. The Scheme can help with a variety of issues including:
Shared living and accommodation related issues
Academic issues
Financial matters
General wellbeing whilst living and studying at the University
The scheme offers a variety of services to students throughout the academic year. This includes individual
mentoring support, interactive workshops, mediation to help students work through any flat issues and
help when students decide to move into a house after their first year. In addition, students will receive
useful information to help tackle important issues.
The Student Mentor Scheme also provides a large Welcome Team which will assist students upon arrival
with moving into University accommodation and will visit flats over the first few weeks of the academic
year to help with any queries which may arise. They will also run a number of events and activities to
help students settle into their time at University.
Students can access the service by email, telephone or by visiting the Student Mentor Office at The Hub
on the Vale.
0121 415 8568
Web site:
The Student Mentor Office opening hours are Mon-Fri 16:00 – 20:00 during term time. Outside of these
times students can contact their site staff/receptions for assistance.
Mentors do not deal with repairs, lost keys or discipline matters of any kind. If you live in a residence the
site staff will be able to assist you with these problems.
The Mentor Scheme Student Support Team are constantly seeking feedback to improve the service and
would welcome any comments using the contact details above.
Student Support
The University provides a wide range of support for its students. All students can expect to receive
general support in developing their personal and academic potential from tutorial staff in their respective
Schools / Departments.
For more information on Student Support go to www.as.bham.ac.uk/support/
The Guild of Students also have a range of support and other services available for more information
please go to www.guildofstudents.com
The University expects that you will register with a local general medical practitioner (GP) during your
time at University. This is very important to ensure prompt treatment is available to you should you
require it. This is in line with Department of Health guidance, which states that you should register with a
GP near to where you spend the majority of the year. Your home town doctor will see you as a temporary
resident during vacation periods if necessary.
Information regarding Medical Practices within easy reach of the campus and/or Student Accommodation
will be available at ID Card collection and from the Academic and Student Administration Division
Reception at all other times of the year.
For more information on the University Medical Practice go to
For more general information about the University, finance, accommodation and study support I would
recommend that you go to the links below, if you haven’t already, as these are useful reference tools
which will be important throughout your time here.
8. Anti-social behaviour and disciplinary procedures
Students are required to conduct themselves in a reasonable and proper manner at all times, both on and
off campus. These values are essential to the functioning of an academic community and the University
will take appropriate action where a proven breach of its discipline code has occurred.
Specific regulations apply to conduct in student accommodation where the communal nature of the
accommodation makes it vital that the appropriate standard of behaviour is maintained.
Discipline in Residences (Regulation 5.10)
The University has a responsibility to uphold the law and therefore any illegal activity brought to the
attention of the University authorities may lead to prosecution by the police or to disciplinary action by
the University, or both. The University operates a clearly defined disciplinary framework, which deals
with behaviour which may not be illegal but which is unacceptable. Breach of the Hall or Residence rules
is considered to be unacceptable behaviour. For more details go to
The University legislation, which defines the disciplinary framework, is in two parts. These are Ordinance
5.5, 5.6 (where fitness to practice applies) and Regulation 5.10. All University legislation is published
electronically on the University website
For full details of Student Conduct and Discipline, Appeals and Regulation 5.10 (Discipline in Residences)
go to
Care of premises and surroundings
You must not use or install any cooking, heating, washing, drying or refrigeration appliances in the
Accommodation which have not been supplied by the University, unless permitted to do so in writing
by the University.
You must keep your study bedroom clean and tidy and this includes any en suite facilities provided.
You must ensure that all refuse is safely disposed of each week on the appropriate refuse collection
day. All rubbish and kitchen waste must be put into sealed bags and placed in the containers provided
for refuse disposal.
When the Accommodation is shared by a group of students, the cleaning of the communal areas,
including the kitchen, is the joint responsibility of the residents of that Accommodation. It is
suggested that a weekly cleaning rota is the best way of ensuring that the Accommodation is kept
You must defrost fridge/freezers regularly, preferably at least once every term.
Disciplinary action may be taken against any student who fails to abide by these conditions and the
University reserves the right to arrange for cleaning and to charge you a fair and reasonable amount to
cover its administrative and cleaning costs in doing so.
You must NOT keep, bring, use or allow the following into the Residence or the Accommodation:-
any unlawful drugs or other such substances including any controlled drugs listed in the Misuse
of Drugs Act 1971
firearms, airguns, combat knives or other dangerous weapons of any sort
gaming machines, pool tables, juke boxes or similar such items road signs, traffic cones, shopping
trolleys or the like
You must not to use the Accommodation for any reason other than your own private residential
You must not gamble in the Residence
You must not to keep pets or other animals in your Accommodation
You must ensure that no disturbance, inconvenience, nuisance or annoyance is caused to any
other resident(s) in the Residence or the neighbouring vicinity by any form of antisocial
behaviour by you or your authorised guests in the Accommodation. You must keep noise to a
minimum, both during the daytime and particularly at night i.e. between the hours of 11.00 p.m.
and 8.00 a.m.
You must comply with the University's rules/requests regarding antisocial behaviour. You must
comply with all current University legislation, which is freely available on the University website
The University reserves the right to terminate the Accommodation contract if your health or
behaviour poses a serious risk to others in the Residence.
You must not play or allow to be played ball games inside any part of the Residence nor on any
landscaped areas adjoining the Residence.
You must comply with the University's Guidelines on Equality and Diversity. Details are available
on the University website https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/collaboration/equality/index.aspx
You must comply with the "General Conditions of Use of Computing and Network Facilities"
when using any computers and/or computer network and internet connections in the
Accommodation. These conditions can be found under Computing Guides on the University
website https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/it/governance/policy/index.aspx
You must not to put up any sign, poster, banner or advertisement in the window of the
Accommodation so as to be visible from the outside.
September 2015
Download PDF