COMMUNITY - Housing - Wayne State University

COMMUNITY - Housing - Wayne State University
Diversity statement
Wayne State University Housing and Residential Life is committed to creating an inclusive
residential community that values and embraces the diversity of all its members. We aspire to
develop an appreciation for ability, age, citizenship status, creed, cultural background, ethnicity,
family model, gender identity and expression, health status, national origin, political ideology,
race, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, spiritual affinity, size, socioeconomic class, and
veteran status.
Many students use their college years to explore and develop their identities and values. We
believe this exploration can best take place in an environment that is open to and respectful of
individuals across the spectrum of human differences and distinctions. It is the responsibility of
every member of the Housing and Residential Life community, staff and students alike to work
to create and maintain such an environment.
Housing and Residential Life is committed to providing a purposefully inclusive community
where all members and visitors are free from harassment, verbal or written abuse, threats,
bullying, ridicule, intimidation, cyberbullying, or violence because of their identity. We will not
accept fear, ignorance, apathy, indifference, religious bias, anger, alcohol or substance abuse
as an excuse, reason or rationale for such behavior. We encourage all members within our
community to make informed personal choices, hold each other accountable and constructively
challenge any injustices.
Housing and Residential Life, in collaboration with other campus resources, fosters the holistic
development of the WSU residential community. We challenge all members of the Warrior
family to move beyond tolerance and engage in creating and maintaining an inclusive
community for all.
Housing and Residential Life is dedicated to recruiting, hiring, promoting and retaining an
inclusive staff that supports the pluralistic diversity of Wayne State University and the Detroit
Welcome . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
Your building staff. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Living with roommates. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5
Housing eligibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5
Residential life. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
Academic resources and support . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7
Student financial obligation for payment of tuition and housing fees . . . . . . . . . . 9
Services and amenities, A-Z . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
Campus safety . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
Personal emergency planning. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
Midtown Detroit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
Check-in and checkout procedures. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
Policies and procedures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
Special policies for residence halls. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
Special policies for apartments. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
Community expectations. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
Rights and responsibilities. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
Official housing regulations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
r n
O sio
The Office of Housing and Residential Life at Wayne State
fosters student learning and success through engaging
residents in an intentional living-learning community.
Supported by safe, comfortable and convenient residence
hall, apartment and dining environments, residents grow
in self-awareness and cross-cultural understanding as they
practice social and group development as members of a
diverse group of Wayne State learners.
Welcome to Wayne State University — your new home away from home. We
look forward to working with you to create a comprehensive living-learning
We encourage you to get to know the people in your building and other
Wayne State students and staff. Get involved with student organizations,
building activities and your residential community to take advantage of all the
opportunities living on campus provides. Tap into Wayne State’s many campus
life and academic resources. The connections and friendships you create will
enhance your college experience.
The Housing and Residential Life staff knows that you’ll create new traditions,
pride and enthusiasm for Wayne State, and we feel lucky to be part of the
excitement. This Community Living Guide provides information and guidelines
that allow our residential communities to successfully grow and learn together.
Please take time to read this guide to understand your rights and responsibilities
as a Wayne State resident.
We’re glad you’re here at Wayne State, and we are here to support and serve
you. Our doors are always open, so please stop by and visit.
Jeanine Bessette
Jeanine Bessette
Director of Housing and Residential Life
Office of Housing and Residential Life staff
Student Center Building
5221 Gullen Mall, Suite 598
Detroit, Michigan 48202
Phone: 313-577-2116
Fax: 313-577-6644
Front desk numbers
Atchison Hall 313-577-9852
Ghafari Hall 313-577-9700
Towers Residential Suites 313-577-6600
Chatsworth Apartments 313-577-2865
DeRoy Apartments 313-577-2121
University Tower Apartments 313-577-8887
Campus housing resources
The office of Housing and Residential Life and WSU Dining staff are available to help you and your
fellow residents build a positive atmosphere that fosters academic success, community, healthy eating,
creativity, diversity and personal responsibility. We are here to help you adjust to the new people
and new ideas you will encounter at Wayne State. The chart below shows each member of our team
available to assist you during your academic journey as a WSU Warrior. The Office of Housing and
Residential Life is here to:
nHelp you get involved in your residential
n Help you in supporting a friend
n Support your academic success
nHelp you get connected to student
n Serve as mentors
n Help you meet your dietary needs
n Help make your living space safe and secure
n Fix things when they’re broken
n Help develop your leadership skills
nHelp get you involved in the Detroit
n Help connect you to other WSU resources
Dining staff
housing staff
Hall council
Facility staff
Desk staff
and office
We are here to support you!
Your building staff
Visit our website at to get a complete
list of our Central Housing office staff name and contact
information, or reach our central office by phone at
dinners with different international cuisine options were
also hosted. A student favorite was the Platinum Chef
Competition, where students cheered on the participants
as they cooked up some great dishes.
Each building has dedicated community directors (CDs),
resident advisors (RAs), office services clerks (OSCs),
student desk assistants (DAs), residential security monitors
(RSMs), and dining, maintenance and housekeeping staff.
Maintenance and housekeeping
These are staff members who take great pride in our halls
and apartments. You may find yourself in contact with
these individuals on a daily basis, and you are encouraged
to say hello as they clean common areas and perform
regular building maintenance. Many residents develop
great relationships with these staff members.
Community directors
These are professional, live-in staff members who are
responsible for the overall management of each residence
hall and apartment building. They supervise the resident
advisors, provide support to all residents in their building,
and rotate as night and weekend on-call emergency
Office services clerks
These are the professional staff members who run the
administrative aspects of the residence hall/apartment
buildings. They are the ones who give you access to the
building and make sure your room is ready for when you
move in. They assist with day-to-day operations of the
front desk staff.
Resident advisors
RAs are sophomore or upper-class students. They live on
each floor and are trained in conflict mediation, building
community and emergency response to assist residents.
You will meet your RA at check-in and your required
floor meetings. Get to know your RA; it will make a big
Front desk assistants
These are the smiling faces at the front desk of each
building. They monitor who comes in and goes out of the
building 24 hours a day. They also assist in mail services,
signing in guests and filing maintenance concern forms.
Residential security monitors
Security monitors are stationed in the front lobby of each
hall and apartment building during high-traffic, latenight hours. The monitors assist the front desk staff with
checking IDs and ensuring that guests are registered.
Dining staff
The dining staff is here to help you have an enjoyable
dining experience. Throughout the year, a variety of
special dining events are hosted on campus. Last year,
the dining hall sponsored many fun activities and meals.
Students took a tropical getaway to paradise complete
with luau foods and decorations. In February, they got
together with friends to watch the Super Bowl. Around
Valentine’s Day, prizes were awarded to students who
correctly guessed the number of conversation hearts in
a jar. In April, Dining put its focus on sustainability and
featured Love the Earth Week. Several culinary-themed
Your campus
mailing address
Student name
Chatsworth Tower Apartments, Apt. #
630 Merrick
Detroit, MI 48202
Student name
Helen L. DeRoy Apartments, Apt. #
5200 Anthony Wayne Drive
Detroit, MI 48202
Student name
Leon H. Atchison Hall, Room #
5110 Anthony Wayne Drive
Detroit, MI 48202
Student name
Towers Residential Suites, Room #
655 W. Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202
Student name
University Tower Apartments, Apt. #
4500 Cass Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Student name
Yousif B. Ghafari Hall, Room #
695 Williams Mall
Detroit, MI 48202
Living with roommates
Meeting and beginning to live with your new roommate
is an exciting event that can enhance your college
experience, whether it is someone that you have never
met before or a good friend. You may have come to
campus having never shared a room with someone
else. Being a good roommate and enjoying living with
a roommate will depend upon your ability to listen,
communicate and compromise. The key to every
relationship — including the one with your roommate and
suitemates — is communication.
Don’t prejudge. Everyone is naturally excited and nervous
about meeting their roommate. If you use sites such as
Facebook to find your roommate, we encourage you to
be careful in forming an opinion too early. People don’t
always portray themselves online as they do in person.
Just because your roommates post party pictures or look
like they have a different personality than you doesn’t
mean that they are what you think. We encourage you to
contact your new roommate as soon as you receive their
contact information. The two main things you want to
do in this initial conversation are introduce yourself and
provide some information about your likes and dislikes.
This is also the time to discuss and coordinate what items
each of you will bring to campus.
It is natural to feel a little apprehensive about speaking
with a new roommate for the first time. You will find that
it is easier if you can be upbeat, positive and respectful
of your roommate’s right to his or her opinions and
expect some differences. The most important goal of the
conversation should be to establish solid communication
so that you have a base to build on when move-in day
Some topics to get you started might include:
nFavorite music, food, movies or television shows
nYour planned major or classes that you’ll be taking
nWhat each of you will bring (television, computer,
refrigerator, microwave, etc.)
nYour WSU email address to stay in touch over the
Obviously, you and your roommate are individuals with
special interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes. It is not
essential that you are similar in every aspect of college life
in order to be good roommates.
All first-year students are required to develop a roommate
agreement during the first weeks of school in order to
prevent potential conflicts. Your resident advisor will guide
you through this agreement at your first floor meeting.
Upper-class students are not required to develop a
formal roommate agreement; however, it is encouraged,
particularly if this is the first year they have lived together.
As with any relationship, conflicts will arise — it is how you
handle those conflicts that will determine your success.
To resolve personal differences with your roommate,
follow these steps (to be proactive, fill out a roommate
1Have a one-on-one conversation with your
2 If that does not work, contact your RA to assist in
3In the rare case that steps 1 and 2 are not successful,
roommate about your concerns.
mediating your differences.
you may contact your community director for help.
If you and your roommate experience difficulties living
together, it may be helpful to contact your RA. By working
together with your RA, perhaps you can eliminate the
concern. Although most roommate problems can be
worked out, we offer one opportunity each semester
for students to switch room assignments. Before a room
change is made, a resident must participate in the
roommate mediation process (this process begins with
your RA).
Housing has a room-change period each semester
where students can complete a request to switch rooms;
students can get the information for switching rooms at
their building’s front desk or the Housing office when it
becomes available. No student is allowed to switch their
room assignment without prior written permission from
Housing eligibility
Residence halls and furnished
apartment-style housing
To be eligible to live in the residence halls or furnished
apartment-style housing, you must be enrolled full time in
a degree-granting program throughout the entire period
of the license agreement.
Room assignments
Residence hall and furnished apartment-style housing
room assignments are made with an effort to best match
students from information included on their applications.
Of course, conflicts may arise within a group living
environment. Roommates will share the same living space
for the entire academic year, and we encourage you to try
to work out any differences. Open communication is the
key to a successful living arrangement with other people.
To resolve personal differences with your roommate,
follow the steps listed above in the Living With Roommates
Housing eligibility
Room consolidation — Atchison, Ghafari,
Towers and DeRoy floors 12-15
The Office of Housing and Residential Life reserves the
right to change or cancel an assignment in the interest
of order, health, safety or behavioral issues. The right
of final assignment lies with the Office of Housing and
Residential Life. The Office of Housing and Residential
Life also reserves the right to fill vacancies in rooms and
to require the resident to move to another room to allow
for optimum utilization of space or to resolve situations
regarding interpersonal conflicts at any time (see Housing
License Agreement Terms and Conditions).
Unauthorized room changes/cohabitation
Residents who move from their original room assignments
without prior approval will be subject to an unauthorized
room change charge of $100 and must move back to the
original room assignment. It is important for residents to
complete the roommate mediation process and official
room change approval process. Any resident allowing a
non-resident to reside in the residence halls or apartmentstyle housing will be charged with violating the Housing
License Agreement and/or Student Code of Conduct and
could face immediate removal from university housing.
Unfurnished apartment occupancy
The Office of Housing and Residential Life does not
match roommates for our unfurnished apartment spaces.
Residents are responsible for finding their own roommates
to share the living space and rent. All residents are jointly
and individually liable for the entire rent amount.
Parents, spouses, domestic partners and children of
students may reside in an unfurnished apartment with
the resident student. All occupants must be listed on the
license and must not exceed the occupancy limit for the
particular unit type. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and
other extended family or non-students may not be added
to a license.
Any resident allowing a non-resident to reside in their
unfurnished apartment will be charged with violating
the Housing License Agreement and the Student Code
of Conduct and could face immediate removal from
university housing.
Residential life
Residential student organizations/
Opportunities to get involved and interact with a diverse
group of people are available across campus, especially
in residence halls and apartments. Each residence hall
and apartment has a hall/community council you can
join to gain leadership skills and assist in coordinating
events. Events include barbecues, Late Night Breakfast,
game nights, activities in the city and community service.
You can also stay busy by attending one of the programs
coordinated by the resident advisors, ranging from health/
wellness and diversity activities to movie nights. Student
organizations, fraternities and sororities also frequently
host meetings and programs within the halls.
Residence Hall Association (RHA)
Residence Hall Association is a resident-run Wayne State
University residence hall and apartment governing
body. It is the parent organization for individual hall and
community councils. Their function is similar to Student
Senate, except that most of their activities pertain to
on-campus living. WSU RHA will work actively with the
Housing and Residential Life representative on WSU
Student Senate to help voice residents’ concerns and
aid in the WSU RHA’s strategic process to move forward.
WSU RHA is dedicated to improving the on-campus living
experience and providing many services to residents.
Residence Hall Association is a student advocacy group
established to help make your residential experience more
Hall and community councils
Hall and Community Council is a great way to get
involved in your community and build leadership skills.
Each council has an executive board and a general
membership. All residence hall and apartment students are
eligible to become a member of the hall and community
councils for the hall or apartment building that they
live in. Additionally, each hall council sends at least one
representative to the larger governing body of Residence
Hall Association (RHA). Contact your community director
or resident advisor for more information on how to get
involved in your community.
Resident advisors
These student leaders have attended Wayne State for at
least two semesters and have knowledge and understanding
of campus services and programs. They are committed to
supporting your educational and social development. Each
floor in the residence halls and apartments has an assigned
nFoster networking systems for residents with the
same major, classes and interests
nCreate and maintain an atmosphere conducive to
studying and academic success
nEducate students on ways to achieve academic and
social success
nPlan educational and social programming that
responds to the diverse needs of our residents
nCommit to fostering community within each floor,
building and on campus
nAct as mediators to help residents resolve problems
nEducate residents on safety and security guidelines
nAre positive role models and assist in policy
The building’s front desk can provide you with a list of RAs.
Academic resources and support
The Housing and Residential Life staff, along with several
offices on campus, is available to help you and your fellow
residents achieve academic success throughout your
academic career.
Residential Life staff
The mission of the Office of Housing and Residential Life is
to foster student learning and success through engaging
residents in an intentional living-learning community. This
is accomplished through educational programming (mind,
body, health and spirit), living-learning communities,
study groups led by resident advisors, academic support
provided by the community directors, and our annual
Academic Advisor Fair.
Academic Success Center
313-577-3165 •
The mission of the Academic Success Center is to ensure
that all Wayne State University students become self-
determined, motivated and independent learners. We
accomplish this through instruction and services that
support students’ development of skills to achieve academic
excellence. Meet with a learning specialist or tutor, or
attend workshops on study skills, time management, test
preparation, writing research papers, note-taking and more.
Located in the David Adamany Undergraduate Library (UGL).
Mathematics Resource Center
313-577-3195 •
The Mathematics Resource Center is a free tutoring
service provided by the Department of Mathematics for
all Wayne State University students currently enrolled in
mathematics classes. It also provides assistance to incoming
WSU students as well as alumni who are trying to fulfill the
WSU mathematics competency requirement. Math tutors
are available to assist you with beginning algebra through
calculus III courses. Located on the first floor of the Faculty/
Administration Building (FAB).
Writing Center
313-577-2544 •
Writing tutors provide assistance with various English
courses, writing and preparation for the English Proficiency
Exam. Located in the UGL.
Student Disability Services
313-577-1851 •
The mission of the Student Disability Services office is to
ensure a university experience in which individuals with
disabilities have equitable access to programs and to
empower students to self-advocate in order to fulfill their
academic goals. Student Disability Services is available
for students who have special needs or disabilities that
require reasonable accommodations (permanent or
temporary). You must meet with a counselor to receive
accommodations. If you have or believe you may have a
disability and need accommodations (learning disability,
visual impairment, communication or chronic mental and
physical health disability), contact this office. Located in
the UGL.
Student financial obligation for payment
of tuition and housing fees
By completing a residence hall or apartment license
agreement, students become financially responsible for
payment of all housing and/or dining charges by the
published due date(s). Fall semester: Full payment for
fall room and board fees due prior to move-in. Winter
semester: Full payment for winter room and board fees
due prior to the first day of classes for winter semester.
spring/summer plan is not available through TMS. Contact
TMS for more information at or 1-800-722-4867.
By completing registration for a semester, students
become financially responsible for payment of all
applicable fees by the published due date(s). Payments
not received by the due date(s) are subject to collection,
attorney and litigation costs, which also become a financial
obligation of the student. Payment due dates are: fall –
August 15, winter – December 15, and spring/summer
– April 15.
n Five monthly payments from July 15 to Nov. 15
Failure to make payment because an invoice is not
received does not exempt students from late payment or
partial payment fees. Students are encouraged to make
certain that the university has their correct mailing address
and familiarize themselves with the required payment due
dates and deadlines outlined on the Office of the Bursar’s
website. Students’ account statements are also available
online at:
Students deciding not to attend classes after registering
should drop them at their earliest convenience, as failure
to attend does not result in an automatic withdrawal from
Additionally, accounts must be current to maintain
enrollment eligibility and to request and receive official
university documents and services. If you have questions
or require additional information, please contact the
Student Accounts Receivable Office at 313-577-3653.
Path to payment tips and resources
It is very important to have your tuition and housing bills,
paid by the published due date(s). You could jeopardize
your housing status if you have a balance after the published
due date(s). Please understand any payment made on your
student account will be applied to your outstanding tuition
bill first; housing is always paid last even if you request that
the payment go toward your housing bill.
Tuition and housing payment options: checks, Internet
ACH, credit cards, myWSUCard, cash, wire payments.
Installment payment plan is an optional installment
payment plan which allow students and/or parents
to spread payments of educational expenses over a
scheduled period.
Tuition Management Systems
Payment plans administered by Tuition Management
Systems (TMS) are offered for fall and winter semesters. A
Fall plan
Open enrollment period begins in May and ends on the
tuition cancellation date for the fall semester.
n Six monthly payments from June 15 to Nov. 15
nFour monthly payments from Aug. 15 to Nov. 15*
nThree monthly payments from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15
*Students should review their TMS monthly payment plan
budget in August to ensure budgets accurately reflect the
fees owed to Wayne State University.
Winter plan
Open enrollment period begins in November and ends on
the tuition cancellation date for the Winter semester.
n Five monthly payments from Dec. 15 to April 15
n Four monthly payments from Jan. 15 to April 15
WSU internal payment plans
Currently enrolled students who have missed the
opportunity to enroll in the TMS fall and/or winter
payment plans may enroll in WSU’s Installment Payment
Plan. A plan is also offered in spring/summer. WSU plans
allow students and/or parents to spread payments over
the remaining two or three months of the semester.
For more information about WSU plans and student
eligibility, log in to WSU Academica and click on the
Student Resources link under the WSU Resources Menu.
To enroll in a plan, click on Online Payments, then click
on Installment Payment Plan menu. If a plan is open for
enrollment, monthly payments and billing information will
display. Follow the instructions to complete enrollment.
Parent PIN setup
The Parent PIN functionality of WSU’s online payment
system (CASHNet Smartpay) allows a student to assign
a parent or authorized person to make payment on the
student’s WSU student account. Students set up Parent
PINs by accessing the Online Payment System (CASHNet
Smartpay) through WSU Academica. CASHNet Smartpay is
a secure payment system that maintains separate payment
methods for students and parents. That is, a payment
method saved by a student cannot be accessed by the
parent and vice versa.
To Create a Parent PIN, log in to WSU Academica and click
on the Student Resources link under the WSU Resources
menu. To set up a PIN, click on Online Payments, then
click on Parent PIN Online Payment Information. Follow
the instructions to set up a parent or authorized person
Services and amenities, A-Z
A limited number of handicap-accessible rooms are
available for students who need accommodations. If
you have special needs or require an accommodation,
communicate this on your housing application or call
the Office of Housing and Residential Life at 313-5772116. You can get additional assistance by registering
with Student Disability Services. Learn more at
arranged through your maintenance supervisor. Contact
your building’s front desk for more information.
Common space reservations
Air conditioning and heat
Activity rooms, lounges, hallways, laundry rooms, trash
rooms, elevators, stairwells, entryways, bathrooms
and kitchenettes are all considered common spaces.
Common spaces are maintained on a priority basis for
use by residents of each building. Individual residents
and resident groups may sponsor and hold functions in
activity rooms, which are located on the first floor of each
residence hall and must be reserved in advance through
the front desk. Any group interested in reserving an
activity room to host an event, program or meeting must
comply with the guidelines outlined in this guide. Events
scheduled by Residential Life staff and residential academic
programs will be given priority for programming and
common space.
Chatsworth Tower – Residents are not allowed to have or
install window air-conditioning units.
Sponsors of events or programs are responsible for
cleanup of the area. The sponsoring group will be assessed
cleaning costs at the prevailing housekeeping rate if
the area is not cleaned to match its original condition.
Sponsoring individuals or groups will also be assessed fees
for damages to the building and facilities resulting from
use of common space.
Most rooms, suites and apartments are equipped with air
conditioning and heating controls. Although you have
the ability to control the temperature in your apartment,
the system cannot be switched to air conditioning if it is
in heat mode, and vice versa. Residence halls have the
ability to have air conditioning or heat year-round. If you
experience problems with the heating/cooling system,
please create an online work order at housing.wayne.
Apartments can be equipped with a portable airconditioning unit that you can purchase at any hardware
or department store. The installation is simple and can be
done by the resident. If you find that you need assistance
with the installation, please submit a work order at
Building hours
You may come and go without restriction 24 hours a day
and are not required to leave notice of your whereabouts.
However, for safety and notification in case of emergency,
you are encouraged to inform your roommates or RA if
you’ll be leaving the building for an extended period of
time, especially during nights or weekends.
Care packages
Care packages may be sent by friends or relatives using
the following address format:
Your name
Name of building, Room #
Detroit, MI 48202*
* 48201 for University Tower Apartments
All resident rooms in Ghafari and Atchison Residence Halls
and the Towers Residential Suites are tiled; room carpets
are not provided. You may bring your own carpet or rugs
if desired. Carpet shampooing for apartments can be
Resident groups that sponsor functions at which
infractions of policies occur may be prohibited from
sponsoring any future events or programs.
Dining service
Meal plan options
The Towers Café is located on the first floor of the Towers
Residential Suites. This all-you-care-to-eat restaurant has a
modern atmosphere, fresh food, varied choices and, above
all, excellent service and value. Enjoy all of your favorite
home-cooked dishes, from homestyle entrées to createyour-own stir fry at the Mongolian grill. Be sure to try
the fully loaded salad and deli bar, a brick-oven pizzeria,
delicious desserts and more.
Gold ’n’ Greens offers a diverse variety of fresh cuisine. The
daily menu features vegan, vegetarian and kosher dairy
items. Gold ’n’ Greens is known on campus for its fantastic
grill, freshly baked pizza, salad bar, and sizzling madeto-order hot entrées including pasta and stir fry. Gold ’n’
Greens is located on the first floor of Ghafari Hall.
Grille Works and Bene are the perfect places to use your
meal plan. They are located in the lower level of the
Student Center and are open for lunch and as a late
night option. Grille Works and Bene are open throughout
the week during the academic year, serving all of your
favorites such as cheeseburgers, fries, chicken strips, pizza
slices, breadsticks and salads.
Services and amenities, A-Z
Semester break meal plans are available and must be
purchased by students who would like to eat in a dining
hall during the university’s semester break period. For
more details, go to
Meal plans, OneCard, credit/debit and cash are accepted
at Towers Café, Gold ‘n’ Greens, Grille Works and Bene.
Other dining options
Food is also available in the Student Center and at various
locations around campus. The Student Center food
court has everything to offer, including Wingstop, Panda
Express, Taco Bell, Starbucks and Mad Anthony’s General
Store. Other on-campus choices include Einstein Brothers
Bagels, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, Freshii and Subway.
Many of these restaurants are open for breakfast, lunch
and dinner. Purchases at these locations can be made with
your WSU OneCard, credit/debit card, Warrior Dollars
or cash. For details on each location and campus dining
updates, go to
Emergency sick trays
If you are sick and cannot go home or eat in the cafeteria,
contact your RA to get up to two meals delivered to your
room per day. Meals will be deducted from your meal
All buildings have at least one passenger elevator.
University Tower, DeRoy and Chatsworth also have
a freight elevator for moving large items. For your
protection, elevators in most buildings are only accessible
by OneCard.
Smoking is prohibited in all elevators and in all public
areas. Tampering with, prying or propping open elevator
doors, vandalizing or removing light covers, and jumping
in or overcrowding the elevators is also prohibited.
Inappropriate use of the elevators may result in disciplinary
action and/or administrative fees determined by the Office
of Housing and Residential Life.
Extermination service
An extermination service is available in your building. If
you require service, please create an online work order at or notify the
front desk.
Front desk
A 24-hour staffed community desk is located on the first
floor of every residence hall and apartment building. The
front desk staff is responsible for answering the front desk
telephone, distributing mail and packages, providing you
with building information, checking in guests and visitors,
and helping with other questions you may have. By
maintaining an awareness of residents and others entering
and leaving the building, the front desk staff play an
important role in building security.
Internet access
Wireless Internet is available throughout university
housing, including study rooms and lounges. To access
Wi-Fi on campus, connect to the WSU network with
your AccessID and password. For a faster and more
secure connection, we strongly recommend that you
connect to WSU-SECURE. After completing the one-time
setup process at, you will be
automatically logged in to the network across campus.
Rooms are also hardwired for Internet access for
computers without wireless capability or when a more
reliable connection is desired. To access the network
without Wi-Fi, you must provide your own computer with
a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network adapter and a CAT-6
network cable (6-12 feet in length recommended).
Connect wireless devices such as gaming systems, Blu-ray
players and Netflix-enabled systems to WSU-HOUSING.
For a full device compatibility list, visit computing.wayne.
Use of the residential network indicates acceptance of the
university’s Acceptable Use of Information Technology
Resources Policy, which can be found at
policies/acceptable-use/. Violations of university policies
may result in a fine; the suspension or termination of
residential network privileges; and discipline under the
appropriate resident, student, faculty or staff due process
If you need assistance with your residential network
connection, please contact the Computing & Information
Technology (C&IT) Help Desk at 313-577-4778 or
Garbage disposals (apartments only)
To keep the garbage disposals working properly and
avoid maintenance calls and damage, please follow these
general operating instructions:
Turn on the cold water and let it run.
Turn on the disposal.
Feed the garbage in small amounts at a time.
Run the disposal for a few minutes until it is completely
Run the cold water for one minute after the disposal is
turned off.
Types of garbage that can be put into the disposal:
meats, coffee grounds, fruit (no banana peels),
vegetables (no celery or onions).
Types of garbage that cannot be put into the disposal:
rice, bones, celery/onions, grease, tea bags, banana
peels, metals, paper, plastic or glass objects.
Guest units
There are furnished guest apartments located in DeRoy
and University Tower Apartments available for rental.
Residents or university personnel may reserve these
apartments to accommodate visiting relatives/guests. The
apartments include linens, towels, TVs, telephones, etc.
Arrangements must be made in advance and availability is
on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in
reserving a guest apartment, please call 313-577-7869.
Laundry facilities
Laundry facilities are available in your building. You can
put money on your OneCard to utilize the laundry facilities
in all of the residence hall and apartments; machines in
Atchison Hall, Ghafari Hall and the Towers Suites also
accept coins. Washing is $1.50 and drying is $1.50 per
cycle, and the large machines in University Tower and
Chatsworth apartments are $2.50 per cycle. Report any
problems with laundry machines to the front desk. If you
need a refund, please contact the OneCard office.
Light bulbs
You are responsible for changing the light bulbs in the
lighting you bring to campus (e.g., desk and floor lamps),
and you are encouraged to use energy-efficient bulbs. If
light bulbs are burnt out in university lighting fixtures,
please create an online work order at housing.wayne.
If you are locked out of your room, present picture ID at
the front desk and we will assist you. There is no charge
for the first instance; however, a $20 service fee will be
assessed for each lockout thereafter. To avoid lockout
charges, be sure to take your key with you whenever you
leave your room, suite or apartment.
(residence halls and DeRoy 12-15 only)
Lofts may be built only with furniture provided by the
Office of Housing and Residential Life. Mallets are available
at your front desk for assembly and disassembly of lofts;
a OneCard with building sticker is required to check one
out. Your resident account will be billed $25 if the mallet is
damaged or not returned within one hour.
Lounges are meant for the general use and enjoyment of
all residents and can be used for studying, socializing, etc.
Furniture must remain in the lounge at all times.
Mail and packages
A mailbox is provided for each residence hall room, suite
and apartment. Access to the mailbox requires use of your
room, suite or apartment key. U.S. mail is delivered to
university housing Monday through Saturday.
Packages from FedEx, DHL or other private delivery
companies are delivered directly to the building. Packages
from USPS are delivered to the Wayne State mail
processing center and will arrive with other campus mail.
Please note that packages are signed for upon receipt but
may be at the campus processing facility.
Services and amenities, A-Z
If you receive a package, you’ll find a package slip in your
mailbox. Present the slip with photo ID at the front desk to
obtain your package.
use the online work order form at
service-request.php. After your request is submitted, a
staff member will visit your room to complete the work
necessary. Emergencies (e.g., water leaks, toilet/shower
stoppages) should be reported immediately to the front
desk staff. Failure to immediately report damaged room
furnishings, damaged room equipment or emergencies
to the front desk may result in the assessment of damage
Moving carts
Telephone service
For your convenience, an electronic package log is kept at
your front desk to record all incoming/outgoing packages.
If you are expecting a package that requires a signature,
desk staff will sign for your package. The front desk will
only accept packages from U.S. mail or package delivery
Moving carts are available at your front desk to assist
you in moving packages and groceries; a OneCard with
building sticker is required to check one out. Please return
the cart as soon as you are finished so others may use it,
and do not leave the cart in hallways, resident rooms,
lounges or elevators. Your resident account will be billed
if the cart is damaged or not returned within one hour. A
late fee of $25 will be charged for each half hour the cart
is late, not to exceed $250.
Landline telephone service is provided by AT&T upon
request for a fee. Any charges for wiring, jacks or service
are your responsibility. If the phone service is utilized, it
is your responsibility to bring a telephone. Telephones
must be touchtone (not pulse dial). Cordless telephones of
less than 900 MHz are not recommended due to crossinterference. To request a telephone line, contact AT&T
Dish Network provides satellite television in the residence
halls. You must provide your own TV and coaxial cord.
Parking costs are not included in your housing and dining
fees. Limited parking is available on campus for residents
of university housing. All parking arrangements are
made through the Parking/OneCard Service Center. Visit, call 313-577-3704 or visit Welcome
Center room 257 for information and temporary guest
Wireless print/copy/scan stations are located in the lobbies
of residence halls and apartments. To access these printers,
download the correct driver from
The link also gives you instructions on how to print.
You must be connected and logged in to the Wayne
State network to print. Black and white printing, color
printing, copying and scanning are all available in housing
buildings. Machines only support 8 ½ x 11 paper. Current
fees are11¢ per page for black and white, 35¢ per page for
color and 5¢ per page for scanning. Printing from mobile
devices is also available by sending your document in an
email to
We are proud to support the university’s recycling efforts.
You may recycle paper, cardboard, plastic and aluminum.
Recyclables must be clean and placed in the appropriate
containers in the trash rooms. If you have a recyclable
that is too large to leave in the trash room, place it in the
dumpster with the yellow lid located behind your building.
Repairs and maintenance
Custodial and maintenance staff members provide
prompt service to residents when repairs are necessary.
If your room, apartment or suite requires repair, please
Comcast provides standard basic cable services to the
apartments, and the cost is included in your rent. Service
upgrades are not available. You must provide your own
TV and coaxial cord. For trouble with your service, email
If you are not getting a picture or receiving all available
channels when you set up your TV and cable, try autoprogramming your TV. Channel lineups are available at:
Trash disposal
Residence halls — There is a trash room on each floor.
Please place trash inside the chute. Break down boxes and
stack them neatly in the trash room for recycling.
DeRoy Apartments — Trash should be placed inside the
trash compactor on the first floor in the trash room, which
is open from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
University Tower — There is a trash room on each floor.
Please place trash in the chute.
Chatsworth Tower — Trash should be placed in the trash
room on the first floor of the building. Please place trash in
the bins and not on the floor.
Vending machines are located in each building. Many
vending machines accept OneCards in addition to cash.
If you experience problems with vending services, please
report the problem to the front desk staff. For refunds, go
to the first-floor Information Center in the Student Center
We’re kicking
the habit
To increase our commitment to maintaining
a safe and healthy environment for students,
employees and visitors, Wayne State has
joined hundreds of colleges and universities
across the country in becoming a smokeand tobacco-free campus.
This means the use of all forms of tobacco
and related products is prohibited
throughout indoor and outdoor spaces on
campus, including:
Parking structures
Parking lots
Prohibited products include but are not
limited to:
n Cigarettes
n Vaporizers
n Cigars
n E-cigarettes
n Smokeless tobacco
n Pipes
n Water pipes
Will the university provide designated
smoking areas?
No. Smoking will be permitted outside the
perimeter of campus.
Can I smoke or use tobacco in my
personal vehicle?
Yes. Smoking and tobacco use is permitted
in private vehicles parked on campus.
University parking lots are included in the
smoke- and tobacco-free campus policy, but
this does not include the interior of vehicles
parked in those lots.
For more information, visit
Campus safety
Help keep housing safe
Security is an active and shared responsibility of the Office
of Housing and Residential Life and each resident. All
residential buildings are locked 24 hours a day and are
equipped with a OneCard access system at each entrance.
You are required to show your OneCard and hall sticker at
the front desk when you enter the building. Your OneCard
also is required to access the elevators and apartments in
the evening. Residential security monitors are stationed in
the lobby of each residence hall/apartment in the evening.
Additionally, security cameras are located on the first floors
to monitor activity in critical areas. For the safety and
security of all residents, we strongly recommend that you
follow these procedures:
nDo not allow people to enter the building behind you
or “tailgate.”
nDo not check in guests you do not know or sign in
guests for friends or roommates.
nAlways keep your room/suite doors locked. Check your
door whenever you leave your room.
nDo not prop, unlock, bar or leave open any exterior
door, as this jeopardizes the safety of all members of
the community.
nImmediately report any missing keys to the front desk
and your roommate. Do not loan your key to anyone
for any reason.
nDo not duplicate any key or card, or possess a
All residents must immediately leave the facility when
an alarm sounds. Treat all alarms as real emergencies.
Familiarize yourself with the exits, sounds and procedures
for evacuating a building. Get to know your exit routes
before there is an emergency. If an alarm sounds:
nQuickly put on a coat and hard-soled shoes.
nTake a towel with you to prevent smoke inhalation.
nClose windows.
nCheck your doorknob and door. If either is hot, do not
open your door. Exit through a window if possible or
summon help. If the door and doorknob are cool, exit
cautiously and close your unlocked door. Take your
keys and your OneCard with you.
nWalk quickly and leave the building via the nearest
available exit.
nUse the stairwells to evacuate; do not use elevators.
Once in the stairwell, check to see that the door is
closed and proceed down to the first level. Gather at
the emergency gathering point 100 feet away from
the building.
nDO NOT re-enter the building until a staff member,
WSUPD or the fire department tell you it is safe to do so.
Failure to exit in an immediate and orderly fashion may
result in disciplinary action and the issuance of citations.
Evacuation and assembly areas
Residents and guests should proceed to their designated
evacuation and assembly area. They are located as follows:
Use of university housing facilities is restricted to
residents, university employees and registered guests.
Unauthorized persons will be subject to immediate
removal and prosecution for trespassing. If you encounter
an unauthorized person in the building, contact a staff
member, the front desk and the WSUPD immediately.
nAtchison Hall, northeast side of Anthony Wayne Drive
(adjacent to DeRoy Apartments)
Fire evacuation procedure
nChatsworth Tower, Gullen Mall (adjacent to the
Student Center Building)
A fire plan is posted on the back of each residence hall and
apartment door. Please read this plan and become familiar
with your evacuation route. For additional copies of the
plan, contact your community director.
Emergency phone numbers
In an emergency, call the WSU Police Department.
DO NOT DIAL 911. Call:
n 7-2222 from an on-campus phone
313-577-2222 from an off-campus or cell phone
Blue light phones
There are more than 300 emergency telephones
located on campus, along its perimeter and within
the parking lots. The phones are conspicuous,
with bright blue lights, and will connect directly to
WSUPD with the touch of a button.
nGhafari Hall, Keast Commons (adjacent to the sand
volleyball courts and DeRoy Apartments)
nThe Towers Residential Suites, Gullen Mall (adjacent to
the Student Center Building)
nDeRoy Apartments, northwest side of Anthony Wayne
Drive (adjacent to the parking structure)
nUniversity Tower, Cass Avenue (on the front side of the
Fire evacuation procedure for mobility
impaired/disabled persons
In the event of an emergency condition within a housing
facility, the following procedures with respect to mobility
impaired/disabled persons must be followed:
nAll mobility impaired/disabled residents are advised to
remain in their rooms during any general fire alarm.
nA staff member will personally call mobility impaired/
disabled residents to advise them of the situation.
nIf it is a false alarm, the residents will be notified.
nIn case of a real emergency, emergency evacuation
personnel will personally evacuate each mobility
impaired/disabled person from their room/apartment.
Fire prevention
Most fires are preventable. Please comply with the
following policies regarding fire prevention:
nCandlesticks, oil lamps, torches and other open-flame
objects are strictly prohibited.
nKeep all furniture, trash and personal items out of
nKeep room decorations and posters to a minimum.
nSmoking is prohibited in university housing.
nMake sure all electrical cords and appliances are
in proper working order. All appliances must bear
the Underwriter Laboratories or Factory Mutual
certification seal.
nDo not overload electrical outlets. Staff reserves the
right to unplug any outlet for health and safety reasons.
nDo not prop open stairwell, hallway or fire doors.
nHalogen lamps and bulbs are prohibited throughout
the halls.
nFire doors, hallways and stairwells must be clear of
obstructions at all times. Fire doors must be free to
close automatically, especially in an emergency, to
keep a fire from spreading.
nSee Article 19, Prohibited Items/Fire Hazards, in
the Policy Violations section for a complete list of
prohibited items.
Fire safety equipment
Smoke detectors and sprinklers are installed in Atchison,
Ghafari, Towers Residential Suites, Chatsworth Apartments
and University Towers Apartments. Helen L. DeRoy
Apartment is equipped with smoke detectors that are tied in
to a fire alarm panel located at the front desk.
Tampering with or misuse of the fire alarm systems,
fire extinguishers or any other fire safety equipment
is prohibited as it places the lives of every resident in
danger. Any resident found tampering with any fire safety
equipment may be subject to immediate removal from
university housing and referral to the university conduct
officer, as well as prosecution under state law.
Medical emergencies
In the event of a medical emergency, immediately notify
WSU Police at 313-577-2222 (DO NOT DIAL 911). Identify
yourself and give the location, detailed description and
name of the ill or injured person, and explain the problem.
Stay with the ill or injured person until help arrives.
OneCard identification and services
Housing facilities are restricted to residents, university
employees and registered guests. Your OneCard
establishes your affiliation with WSU and is not
transferable. Do not lend your OneCard to another person
for any purpose, including entry to the building, purchasing
meals and vending items, or for any other reason.
Hall stickers — Every resident is issued a color-coded hall
sticker when they move in. These stickers help to identify
residents of each building. You must have this sticker on
your OneCard to enter the building, even if you have your
room key. Tampering with or using hall stickers for purposes
other than their intended use will result in disciplinary
action. If you must replace your OneCard due to loss or
theft, a replacement sticker must be purchased for a fee of
$10. Proof of the new OneCard purchase (i.e., a receipt)
must be given to the front desk to get the new sticker.
Meal plans — The OneCard is used for meal purchases
as part of your meal plan in campus dining facilities.
Meal purchases also can be made using money deposited
on your OneCard at one of the various food services
on campus. Your OneCard may be used for vending
purchases, parking, library copying services and book
purchases at the WSU Bookstore. Money can be added to
your OneCard through one of the many deposit machines
on campus or on Academica.
Campuswide — Your OneCard will provide entry into the
Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center, as well as give
you access to equipment rental and towel service.
The OneCard is not transferable. You may not lend
your OneCard to another resident or student for any
purpose including but not limited to entry to a building
or purchase of meals or other goods. Any violation of this
policy may result in confiscation of your OneCard.
If you lose your OneCard, deactivate it immediately online
at or report it to the OneCard
office by calling 313-577-CARD. The OneCard office is
located in the Welcome Center, 42 W. Warren Ave., Suite
257. Please report stolen OneCards to the WSU Police.
Parking and transportation services
Parking costs are not included in your housing and dining
fees. Limited parking is available on campus for residents
of university housing. All parking arrangements are made
through the Parking/OneCard Service Center.
If you are planning on bringing a car to campus, you
must purchase a parking pass in either Structure 2 (Lodge
Service Drive and Kirby) or Structure 8 (Forest and Cass)
from the OneCard/Parking Service Center. A semester pass
costs $280 (subject to change). Passes can be purchased
online at
If you need a ride, Wayne State offers students free shuttles
throughout campus. Track the shuttles in real time on
the WSU Mobile app. If you need to go farther, WSU has
partnered with Zipcar to offer low-cost hourly and daily
car rentals.
Visit, call 313-577-3704 or visit
them in Welcome Center room 257 for information and
temporary guest permits.
Personal emergency planning
Preparedness checklist
Emergency preparedness
qI have completed the emergency contact information
Wayne State University and our residence hall staff
put the highest priority on the safety and security of
our community members. We continually plan for
emergencies, however unlikely it is that they may arise
during the academic year. We also encourage individual
community members and their families to make plans for
their personal safety. These resources can help you plan for
in Academica ( and it
accurately reflects how I want to be notified in case of
an emergency.
qI have programmed the WSU Police Department’s
phone number (313-577-2222) into my cell phone so I
can call them quickly in case of emergency.
qI have entered my cell phone number into the WSU
Broadcast Messaging Service so I will
receive emergency text messages should there
be an incident on campus. Sign up at
qMy roommates and my close friends know how to
contact my family or others in case of an emergency.
qMy parents/family know how to contact my
roommates and/or close friends in case of
qI have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) entry in my
cell phone so police/fire/EMS can call my emergency
contact if I cannot speak.
qI know more than one way to get out of every
building where I have classes. If one exit is blocked, I
can get out of the building using a different exit. I am
familiar with the fire exits for my residence and the
buildings in which I have classes.
qI know where to shelter in my residence and on
campus in case of severe weather such as a tornado.
For a severe weather shelter area, I should avoid
windows and areas where there might be flying glass,
exterior walls and rooms with high ceiling such as
auditoriums, and try to get to one of the lowest levels
in the building.
qWhen I go out at night, I have a plan for getting
home. I have friends I can call to pick me up if I get
stuck at a location where I feel uncomfortable. My
roommates/friends know where I am going and the
people I will be with.
qI know how to get to the WSU Campus Health Center
in DeRoy Apartments if I get sick. I am planning to
get a flu shot during the fall semester. To decrease my
chances of getting the flu, I wash my hands regularly
with an alcohol-based soap. I cough into my sleeve
and not my hands.
qI know the housing staff for my residence hall or
apartment, including my resident advisor, community
director and other staff in case there is an emergency
or other problem.
qI have an emergency kit. A list of what to include is
available at
WSU Police Department: A resource for crime
prevention and personal safety on campus and in the
Campus Health Center: A resource for personal
health promotion and an on-campus health clinic
open to all students.
Detroit Homeland Security: The Do1Thing
Program provides monthly suggestions for how to
prepare for potential emergencies.
American Red Cross training classes:
State of Michigan Family Preparedness Guide:
U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Resources
for family preparedness.
Personal property protection
Wayne State University, the Office of Housing and
Residential Life, their directors, agents, or employees
shall neither be responsible for, nor liable for, property
of the resident(s) which may be lost, stolen, damaged
or left behind after the resident has moved out of his/
her assigned space. All residents are advised to carry
personal property and liability insurance. Report all lost
or stolen property to the WSUPD immediately. You should
also keep serial numbers and receipts of your valuables to
help identify and recover items if they are lost or stolen.
Personal safety
Do not engage in activities that might place you or others
at risk of bodily harm. This involves but is not limited to:
propping exterior doors; throwing things out of windows;
sitting on window ledges; entering onto any roof areas; or
the use of bicycles, rollerblades or skateboards within any
university building. These behaviors may result in damage
charges or termination of your housing agreement based
upon the severity of the incident.
Safety of children (apartments only)
Apartment residents with children under 16 years of age
should supervise them at all times. When leaving older
children at home alone, prepare them for emergency
situations. Identify dependable neighbors that your
children could contact if help is needed. These neighbors,
along with the front desk staff, should know your
emergency contact numbers. Teach your children the
difference between strangers and trustworthy individuals.
Tell children that they should never reveal to strangers
that they are home alone or give out their phone number/
address or open the door to strangers — even someone
making a delivery. Give your children a list of emergency
numbers, including the WSU Police and your building’s
front desk. Remind your children that there is always
someone at the front desk 24 hours a day if they need
Severe weather procedures
WSU Police will notify staff if severe weather makes it
necessary for staff and residents to move to designated
shelter areas.
WSU will close when severe weather conditions
compromise the safety of residents, faculty and staff,
both on campus and in transit to or from campus.
Severe weather could consist of excessive snow or ice
accumulation during a single snow period, or prediction
of excessive snow or ice accumulation. Residence halls and
apartments will remain open.
Closure will be publicized through the WSU Broadcast
Messaging Service, the university news line (313-5775345), WDET-FM Public Radio 101.9, and by local radio
and television stations.
Tornado watch: A tornado could potentially develop.
Tornado warning: A tornado has actually been sighted.
If a tornado warning is issued:
nProceed to a lower floor level, interior hallway or
corridor (center core), or windowless stairwell.
nSeek shelter under sturdy or heavy furniture, tables or
nAvoid elevators, top floors of the building, areas with
glass windows or doors, cafeterias, and unsecured
nAssist persons with disabilities to the safest area on the
same floor.
nIf possible, take a flashlight, radio or cell phone with you.
nStaff will advise you when it is safe to return to your
room or apartment.
Midtown Detroit
Annual events
Dally in the Alley
What started as a small barbecue in 1977 has grown into
an annual multi-stage block party where up to 25,000
individuals come together to socialize and experience
some of the area’s best art, music, film, fashion, food and
poetry. Dally in the Alley takes place on the first Saturday
of September and is bordered by Second Avenue, Third
Avenue, Hancock and Forest. Visit for
more information.
Noel Night
Celebrate our city’s diverse holiday traditions amid the
state’s premier arts and cultural institutions, historic
churches and art galleries, which are open free of
charge on Noel Night. Horse-drawn carriage rides,
carolers, music, dances, children’s activities, arts and
crafts, shopping and much, much more. Over 60 area
performance groups bring the sounds of the season to life.
Noel Night activities take place in and around Midtown’s
Cultural Center. For date, times and more information,
For those individuals without a car, Zipcars and public
transportation are available. SMART and D-DOT bus
schedules and route maps are available at the front desks
of the buildings.
Groceries and shopping
Whole Foods
115 Mack, Detroit
University Foods Center
1131 W. Warren, Detroit
Food Pride Super Market
500 E. Warren, Detroit
AK Groceries
51 W. Warren, Detroit
5851 Mercury Drive, Dearborn
15901 Ford Road, Dearborn 313-336-5000
1301 W. 8 Mile Road, Detroit
21431 Grand River, Detroit
CVS Pharmacy
350 E. Warren, Detroit
University Pharmacy
5254 Anthony Wayne, Detroit
Rite Aid
4612 Woodward, Detroit
Fairlane Mall
18900 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
For more places to shop, visit
Check-in and checkout procedures
Checking in
Upon check-in, you will complete a mandatory Room
Condition Report (RCR) to inventory the condition of your
room, suite or apartment. Residential Life staff members
will help you determine the condition of your assigned
space. You must note any discrepancies you observe in
your room on your RCR and return it to the front desk of
your building before moving your belongings in. Make
sure both you and a Residential Life staff member sign the
completed inventory sheet during check-in.
The RCR will be used during checkout to assess charges
for damages or missing university property. If you fail to
return your RCR, any changes in a room’s condition found
at checkout will be assumed to be damages and billed to
you accordingly.
Checking out
Contact your building’s front desk when you are ready
to check out of your space. A community director, office
service clerk or RA will help you check out. (Checkouts
performed by RAs are double-checked by professional
staff afterward; only professional staff may assess damage
charges). Together, you will complete a review of your
space using the RCR. Your participation in the checkout
inventory is strongly recommended. Then you’ll return
your room key and hall sticker to the front desk and
receive a key receipt indicating the date and time of your
Express checkouts
If you cannot or choose not to be present for your space
assessment, express checkout is an option. Residential
Life staff will review your RCR and perform the checkout
inspection in the space without you. You must still
return your key and hall sticker to the front desk, and
you will be asked to check the box on the key receipt
acknowledging that you waive your right to appeal any
move-out charges assessed to you. Unless scheduled
in advance, all checkouts performed from 8 p.m. to 9
a.m. are automatically express checkouts. If you miss
your scheduled checkout time and do not reschedule
in advance, you will automatically receive an express
Semester break
Ghafari Hall, Atchison Halls and the Towers Residential
Suites – You may reside in the facility during all break
periods as part of the academic year Housing License
Agreement. However, you are required to purchase a block
meal plan or pay as you go if you plan to eat in the dining
hall during the semester break periods. Contact your
community director for more details.
Chatsworth Tower, DeRoy and University Tower
Apartments – These facilities remain open year-round.
Closing procedures
All personal belongings must be removed at the end of
the Housing License Agreement period. If items are not
removed, they will be disposed of or become the property
of the university. At the end of the winter semester, you
must vacate Ghafari, Atchison, the Towers Residential
Suites and DeRoy furnished apartments within 24 hours of
your last scheduled final examination. Students who check
out late will incur a late checkout charge of $50.
Early move-in and late move-out
Residence halls and furnished apartment-style
All Housing License Agreements have the same dates of
occupancy, which correspond with the current academic
year; however, some students find that they have
academic reasons to move onto campus early or to stay
past the move-out date, (e.g., the Law School and School
of Medicine have calendars that differ from WSU’s main
academic year). Students with academic reasons to move
onto campus early or stay past the move-out date must
make arrangements and get advance approval. Additional
fees per day will apply and ability to move in early or stay
past the move-out date will be subject to the availability of
the student’s assigned space.
Unfurnished apartments
License Agreements for unfurnished apartment units have
set dates of occupancy based on communication with
the apartment coordinator. These dates may vary slightly
from the academic year. All agreements will begin and end
on dates approved by the apartment coordinator unless
otherwise specified. Licenses can be extended per day
over the summer with prior approval and are subject to
availability. A per-day fee will apply.
Spring/summer housing
Residents who wish to stay during spring/summer must
enter into a new Housing License Agreement and pay the
corresponding fees required. For more information about
summer housing dates, costs and more, visit housing.
Damages: Assessment and fines
You will be held financially responsible for any damages
or vandalism to university property incurred by you or
your guests. Residents who choose to take responsibility
for certain damages in the room will be required to do so
in writing so that Housing may keep a record of it. You
may also be held financially responsible for unauthorized
possession of university furniture or equipment; missing
furniture or equipment; excessive cleaning; and
replacement of a room, suite, apartment or mailbox key
due to lost or stolen keys or failure to turn in keys upon
checkout, among other things. Damage assessments or
fees may be charged in a variety of situations. Note: Only
professional staff will assess damage charges or fees.
Group damage
You are liable for damages to your room, suite or
apartment. This includes loss, abuse or vandalism
of furnishings and fixtures, as well as any necessary
housekeeping. Likewise, residents, as a group, are liable for
damages and cleanup to common areas of the building
when individual responsibility cannot be assigned.
The “group” responsible may include roommates,
corridormates, suitemates or buildingmates as determined
by the location of the damages and the nature of the
circumstances surrounding the damage incident. Costs
for such damages will be determined by the community
director and staff of the Office of Housing and Residential
Life. Group damages for the year will be assessed to
students as they occur. Common area damage charges
may not be appealed. Note: Only professional staff will
assess damage charges or fees.
Immunization records
All residence hall students must complete and submit
an immunization form before they are allowed to obtain
their room key or move in to their assigned living
space. The form will be kept on file at the Campus
Health Center as part of the student’s personal health
information in accordance with the Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Immunizations
are recommended for all incoming college students to
protect their health. Any resident who assumes occupancy
without completing the required immunization form may
be removed from campus housing without a refund of
Missing student policy
Upon move-in, you must complete the Missing Student
Confidential Contact Form. This gives you the opportunity
to confidentially identify an individual to be contacted
by the university in case it is determined that you are
missing. This is a separate contact from the emergency
contact. Only authorized campus officials and law
enforcement officers may have access to this confidential
contact information in furtherance of a missing person
investigation. However, if you are under 18 and not an
emancipated individual, the university is required to notify
your parent or guardian if you are missing. A student
shall be deemed missing when he or she is absent from
the university for more than 24 hours without any known
Policies and procedures
This section provides information on policies and procedures governing life in university
housing. These policies safeguard the health and safety of our residents, and ensure that
your living environment is conducive to personal development and academic success. These
standards are a shared responsibility and we ask that you follow them at all times.
Advertising, solicitation and
Flyers, signs and/or posters may be submitted for posting
at the front desk of your building. Advertising by student
groups, organizations, clubs and/or for student events
are welcome. Non-affiliated groups may submit items
for posting to the central housing office for approval.
Any advertisement that promotes alcohol, drugs and/or
behavior incongruent with the mission of Housing and
Residential Life or the university will not be approved for
Groups/individuals may not put advertising under doors or
post in stairways, elevator lobbies, etc.
Non-residents of university housing may not physically
post in the buildings. All approved signs will be
disseminated by the CD or Central Office and posted
internally. Individuals and groups who post inside
university housing will have their signs removed and risk
being denied the privilege of posting in the future.
The community director and/or the director of Housing
and Residential Life reserve the right to deny posting
based on space and type/size of the advertisement.
Room-to-room solicitation and distribution is prohibited.
Any group or person soliciting room to room risks
permanent denial from advertising in university housing.
If you encounter an individual or group soliciting and
distributing in the residence halls or apartments, please
contact a staff member immediately.
University-affiliated groups are not allowed to solicit in the
residence halls or apartments at any time. This includes
the following:
nDistribute information or questionnaires
nRecruit members
nSeek contributions for charitable purposes
nObtain signatures for petitions on matters of
concern to WSU students
nSell tickets of admission to benefit performances of
plays or musicals held on university property
Billing and payment policy
Residents signing a Housing License Agreement agree to
be responsible for room and board fees or rent for the
entire academic or calendar year. Residents agree to make
timely payments set forth in the schedule below.
All residence halls and furnished apartmentstyle housing
Fall semester: Full payment for fall room and board fees
due prior to move-in.
Winter semester: Full payment for winter room and
board fees due prior to the first day of classes for winter
semester. If the resident fails to pay for the room and
board provided, the university, without notice to quit or
demand for payment of room and board, may terminate
this agreement and repossess the licensed premises.
Students residing in residence halls and furnished
apartments are billed for room and board by semester
to their student account. Students will receive an eBill
through Academica. Other fees or charges are also posted
to the resident’s student account and will show up on the
eBill. Students may pay their eBill online using a credit
card or electronic check, mail a check to WSU, pay in
person at the Cashier’s office, or use a payment plan. The
Housing office will not accept any payments directly. For
more information about billing and payments, please visit
Unfurnished apartments
Registered students have the option to have their rent
billed by the month or by the semester to their student
account. If you are paying your rent by the month, you
must pay by the first of each month and it must be paid
through your Academica account or to the Cashier’s
office. If you are paying your rent by the semester, your
housing will be due at the same time your tuition is due in
accordance with the normal university payment schedule.
You must pay through your Academica account or to the
Cashier’s office.
Late fees will be assessed on your student account
according to the university’s late fee schedule for any
late payments. If you still have a balance on your student
account under $500 after the 15th of each month, you
will be charged a $25 late fee. If you have a balance on
your student account over $500 after the 15th of each
month, you will be charged a $40 late fee. Late fees
apply to your entire student account balance, not just the
housing amount due.
For our residents that are faculty/staff, affiliates or non-
registered students, you must pay your rent by the
first of each month at
You will receive your room key at check-in and should
be very protective of it. Unauthorized use, possession
or duplication of keys is strictly prohibited. Residents or
guests found in possession of keys not assigned to them
will face disciplinary action in addition to lock-change
If you lose your keys, immediately report it to the front
desk. If your keys are stolen, also report it to the WSU
Police Department. Residents who lose their keys or give
them to another person are responsible for any and all
charges, including replacement keys for roommates. If
your keys were stolen, bring a copy of the police report to
your community director, who will assess whether the lock
change/replacement charge can be waived.
The charge for a lock change is $150 and the charge
to replace a damaged key is $4. These are the charges
directly assessed by the locksmith. The Housing office
will not accept cash payments. Please see the Billing and
Payment Policy information in the Policies and Procedures
section for how charges are billed to and paid by students.
No additional locks or locking devices may be attached to
room doors.
Room decorations (e.g., posters, wall hangings) may be
hung using only nail-free type picture hangers. You may
not use nails, tacks, pins, screws, masking tape, Scotch
tape, stick-on picture holders or other types of sticking
agents on the walls, ceilings, woodwork or doors. You
may not make any alterations to your room nor deface the
same, nor let anyone else deface the same. Any damages
that result from room decorations, alterations or their
removal will be charged to the resident.
Holiday decoration policy
To maintain fire safety during holidays, some materials are
prohibited as decorating materials.
Prohibited: Natural trees, wreaths, roping or similar
decorations, bamboo, cedar trees or branches, corn
stalks or shucks, cotton or confetti, dry moss or leaves,
flammable powders or liquids, hay, paper streamers,
plastic sheeting or pellets, sawdust, tumbleweeds, wood
bark, and wood shavings.
Other guidelines:
nNo flimsy decorations that could produce quick or
fast-burning fire are permitted.
nThe use of combustible material for decoration
purposes is prohibited.
nThe use of open-flame devices including but not
limited to candles is prohibited.
nArtificial trees/plants and decorations shall be located
so as not to obstruct exits, corridors, aisleways and
emergency light units.
nNo decorations shall be placed on fire sprinkler heads
or piping.
nElectric light sets shall bear the Underwriter
Laboratories or Factory Mutual Certification seal.
nNo more than three sets of electric lights should be
plugged into an extension cord.
Permitted: Artificial trees/plants labeled as flame
retardant by the manufacturer and tree decorations of
noncombustible type such as metal or glass.
You are not permitted to paint your room, suite or
apartment. Residents who paint their rooms, suites or
apartments are responsible for the cost of repainting and
will be subject to disciplinary action.
Windows and coverings
No window coverings may be placed directly over the
windows. Aluminum foil, cardboard, tape, newspaper,
computer paper, garbage bags, contact paper, posters,
flags, etc. may not be used to cover windows. Traditional
curtain rods are not permitted; however, curtains on
tension rods are allowed. Report damages to any windows
in the building to the front desk.
Using windows for exits (except in emergencies) is
prohibited and will result in disciplinary action. Window
screens should not be removed.
Each room in the residence halls and on the 12th-15th
floors of DeRoy is furnished with a bed, mattress, dresser,
desk and desk chair for each resident. Living room
furnishings are provided in the Towers Residential Suites
and on DeRoy floors 12-15. All furnishings must remain
in the room/suite/apartment at all times, and you must
return your room/suite/apartment to its original condition
before you move out. We encourage you to be creative
and decorate your space to suit your personal taste.
You may also bring your own furniture into the room/
suite/apartment; however, the Office of Housing and
Residential Life will not remove university-owned furniture
to accommodate your items. Property or furnishings may
not be moved into resident rooms/suites from building
common areas. You will be charged a fee for removal
of any furniture that does not belong in your room at
checkout. If lounge or public area furniture is found in
your room, it will be removed and you will assessed a
$100 fine.
Bunk beds/lofts
The residence halls and the 12th-15th floors of DeRoy are
furnished with a bed for each resident. The beds provided
have the ability to be bunked or lofted through the use of
university-provided parts. There are a limited number of
lofting parts available, which will be placed in rooms at the
beginning of the year and are part of the room furniture
inventory. You will not be able to bring your own loft;
however, we encourage you and your roommate(s) to
creatively set up your room in a way that works for you.
No lofting may be completed during quiet hours — no
exceptions. Upon move-out, residents must de-loft and
un-bunk their beds. Charges will be assessed for beds left
Missing lounge furniture will result in group billing charges
for corridormates, suitemates or hallmates as determined
by the location of the missing furniture. Individuals in
possession of lounge furniture will be charged $100.
Abandoned property
Take all personal belongings with you at the end of your
Housing License Agreement. Bicycles, furniture and other
items left on campus or in your room after move-out will
be considered abandoned and are subject to donation or
disposal at your expense. We will store your belongings
for a maximum of 30 days after your Housing License
Agreement has expired. You will be charged storage fees
of $35 per day. At the expiration of the 30-day storage
period, we will dispose of or donate your property.
Pest control and prevention
Take trash out regularly and keep eating areas clean.
Tightly cover food in cupboards and refrigerators. Quickly
eliminate newspapers, bags, bottles and all unnecessary
refuse from your room/suite/apartment. Report the
presence of pests immediately to the front desk so
that we can implement a treatment program. You can
cooperate by having your room/suite/apartment ready on
the assigned day. Your office services clerk will give you
sufficient notice and information about preparing your
room/suite/apartment. A $50 charge will be assessed to
your account if your room/suite/apartment is not ready
for the scheduled extermination treatment. If your space
has previously been treated for bedbugs, repeat treatment
after 30 days of initial application will result in the
resident(s) paying the full cost of the bedbug treatment
up to $850. If you need more information about taking
care of your space, cleaning guides are available from the
Office of Housing and Residential Life.
In order to reduce the potential for injury to individuals
and damage to property, the roof areas of university
housing facilities are not to be walked on, nor to be used
for any purpose.
Smoking is not allowed in residence halls or apartments or
in any of the public areas of the building. This rule applies
to stairwells, activity rooms, laundry rooms and public
restrooms. No smoking is permitted anywhere on campus.
The no-smoking policy is strictly enforced, and anyone
caught smoking in a public area will be referred through
the student conduct process and may be removed from
university housing. You are also responsible if your guest/
visitor is caught smoking.
Trash disposal
Leaving trash in stairwells, hallways, laundry rooms,
elevators, elevator lobbies, the front and back exterior
areas, and the building lobby is violation of the
Community Living Guide and a $100 fee will be assessed
for each item in violation of this policy.
Quiet hours
Excessive noise is prohibited at all times in university
housing. Be considerate of your neighbors’ rights to study
and sleep, and use discretion in all cases where noise is
concerned. Loud stereos, gathering in hallways and other
disturbances are not allowed. If stereos are played out of
windows or are a problem in any area around university
housing, owners risk removal of the stereo from the
building. Quiet hours are in effect from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Sunday through Thursday and from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Friday and Saturday.
Special policies for residence halls
Prohibited and permitted items
The items listed below are prohibited in residence
halls. If these articles are found to be in a
resident’s room, that resident will be requested
to immediately remove them from the building
and an incident report will be written. Residents
will be held financially responsible for damages
incurred by use of prohibited items or unsafe use of
permitted ones.
Prohibited: nPets (Residents may have up to a 10-gallon fish
tank for non-flesh-eating fish only. Piranhas
and other flesh-eating fish are not permitted.)
nFirearms, weapons or explosives
nFog machines
nHalogen lamps
nOil lamps
nSpace heaters or air conditioners
nToasters and toaster ovens
nHot plates/electric skillets or frying pans, pots,
deep fryers, hot pots, griddles, broilers, crockpots, woks, heating coils, electric grills, George
Foreman-type grills
nHot iron/curling iron stoves
nRefrigerators larger than five cubic feet or 45
inches high
nHeat lamps
nElectric blankets
nAny tobacco products, including cigarettes,
clove cigarettes, cigars, pipes, electronic
cigarettes and hookahs
nAlcohol and alcohol bottles
nDrug-related paraphernalia and/or illegal drugs
nFurniture lofts
nWireless routers
nBarber chairs
nFurniture from the lounge
nWall-mounted televisions
nWashers and dryers
nPortable hair dryers and curling irons
nCoffee makers
nElectric razors
nRefrigerators less than five cubic feet, 115 volts
and 45 inches in height (limit one per person or
two per room)
nCD players, stereo systems, televisions, radios,
VHS/DVD players
nHot air popcorn poppers
nNatural potted plants no taller than three feet
Cooking and kitchenettes
Cooking is not permitted in the residence halls
within individual rooms/suites, bathrooms or
hallways. However, you may cook in kitchenettes
located in Atchison and Ghafari in lounges on
the third and fifth floors, as well as in the Towers
lounges on the third, fifth, seventh, ninth and
11th floors. You must supply your own pots, pans
and other cooking utensils, and you must clean
the space after use. The use of microwaves within
individual rooms is permitted. Please do not leave
food out in your room or in the common areas.
Please do not place hot pots or pans in your sink
or on the countertops in the kitchenettes. The heat
causes permanent discoloration. Charges will be
assessed to students for any permanent damage
to countertops. All items left on the counters or
in the sinks in the kitchenettes will be considered
abandoned and will be discarded.
Special policies for apartments
Apartment changes
If you desire to move to another apartment or building:
nAn apartment change period will be offered each
semester to help accommodate students who wish to
nApartment changes may not be made within the first
three weeks of any semester.
nApartment change forms will be available after the
third week of each semester.
nIf the apartment type you have selected is unavailable,
your name will be placed on a waiting list. You will
be contacted when there is an apartment available
and when you are at the top of the waiting list. Upon
being notified of an available apartment, you will
have 24 hours to accept the apartment (weekends
not included). If you do not accept the transfer within
24 hours, your request will drop to the bottom of the
waiting list.
nAll moves must take place within two days after the
new unit is available to you.
nInternal moves will not be granted if your account
is delinquent. All past-due amounts must be paid
before an internal move can be made. A resident
with a history of late payments (four or more in any
12-month period) will not be approved for an internal
Additional questions should be directed to the Office of
Housing and Residential Life.
Kitchen equipment
Do not place hot pots or pans in your sink or on the
countertops. The heat causes permanent discoloration.
If your refrigerator is not self-defrosting, be sure to
carefully defrost your freezer periodically. Do not use
sharp utensils on the tubes in the freezer when defrosting
it. These tubes could puncture and cause damage to the
refrigerator. Report any issues with kitchen equipment to
the front desk.
Lead paint disclosure
To fully comply with Federal EPA regulations regarding
communication about use of lead-based paint in
residential facilities, the following information is provided
to all residents of campus-owned and leased apartmentstyle housing. Lead warning statement: Housing built
before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from
paint, paint chips and dust can pose health hazards if not
managed properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful
to young children and pregnant women. Before renting
pre-1978 housing, lessors must disclose the presence of
known lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards
in the dwelling. Lessors must also receive a federally
approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention. Lessor’s
disclosure: Presence of lead-based paint and/or lead-based
hazards. Known lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint
hazards are present in the housing. For more information
Occupancy capacity
Occupancy capacity is set by the Office of Housing
and Residential Life to comply with state/federal laws
and to ensure the safety, security and cleanliness of the
building. Capacity for efficiency/studio, one-bedroom,
two-bedroom, and three-bedroom apartments are listed
below. Residents may not exceed the occupancy rate for
unfurnished apartments set by the Housing office.
Chatsworth Apartments:
Maximum two-person occupancy
One Bedroom Maximum two-person occupancy
Two Bedroom Maximum four-person occupancy
DeRoy Apartments:
Maximum two-person occupancy
One Bedroom Maximum two-person occupancy
Two Bedroom Maximum three-person occupancy
University Tower Apartments:
One Bedroom Maximum two-person occupancy
Two Bedroom Maximum four-person occupancy
Three Bedroom Maximum six-person occupancy
Prohibited and permitted items
The items listed below are prohibited in apartments. If
these articles are found to be in a resident’s apartment,
that resident will be requested to immediately remove
them from the building and an incident report will be
written. Residents will be held financially responsible for
damages incurred by use of prohibited items or unsafe use
of permitted ones.
nPets (Residents may have up to a 10-gallon fish tank
for non-flesh-eating fish only. Piranhas and other flesheating fish are not permitted.)
n Firearms, weapons or explosives
n Fog machines
n Halogen lamps
n Oil lamps
n Space heaters
nAir conditioners in DeRoy and University Tower
nHot plates/electric skillets, deep fryers, hot pots,
griddles, broilers, electric woks, heating coils, electric
grills, George Foreman-type grills
n Hot iron/curling iron stoves
n Refrigerators larger than five cubic feet or 45 inches high
n Heat lamps
n Electric blankets
nAny tobacco products, including cigarettes, clove
cigarettes, cigars, pipes, electronic cigarettes and
n Alcohol bottles for display
n Drug-related paraphernalia and/or illegal drugs
n Furniture lofts
n Wireless routers in DeRoy and University Tower
n Barber chairs
n Furniture from the lounge
n Wall-mounted televisions
n Washers and dryers
n Portable hair dryers and curling irons
n Coffee makers
n Electric razors
nCD players, stereo systems, televisions, radios, VHS/
DVD players
n Hot air popcorn poppers
n Natural potted plants no taller than three feet
n Alcohol (students 21 and older only)
n Candles in glass jars
n Wireless routers in Chatsworth
Community expectations
General behavioral expectations
Wayne State University is sensitive to the rights, freedoms
and responsibilities of all its residents. Policies and
procedures have been established to ensure that individual
rights and freedoms are protected and responsibilities
are understood. Residents of Wayne State University are
expected to:
nObserve state and federal laws, as well as university
policies and regulations
nRespect the rights and privileges of others
nBe forthright and honest in all of their academic and
social conduct
nShare the responsibility of maintaining an
environment where individual actions do not violate
the community’s welfare
This means that residents have both the right and
the responsibility to confront each other directly in a
constructive manner when problems occur. Residents
are also responsible for abiding by all policies, rules and
regulations for on-campus living, including but not limited
nOffice of Housing and Residential Life Community
Living Guide —
nOffice of Housing and Residential Life Diversity
Statement —
nHousing License Agreement Terms and Conditions
— Residence Halls:
license_agreement.pdf; Apartments: housing.
nWSU Student Code of Conduct —
nWSU Workplace Violence Policy —
nWSU Non-discrimination Policy —
nWSU Sexual Harassment Policy —
nAcceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
Policy —
The university does not attempt to use formal rules to
define every unacceptable form of behavior. In situations
not covered by specific regulations, you are expected to
use common sense and conduct yourself at all times as a
mature, responsible individual. Remember: If it’s illegal off
campus, it’s illegal on campus. University property does
not insulate residents from being accountable for their
Residents who are positive and active community
members are vital to the quality of life on the Wayne
State University campus. Abiding by the regulations set
forth below is a major part of developing a supportive
residential community that encourages academic, social
and personal growth.
While most residents demonstrate respect for others in
the community and conduct themselves in an appropriate
manner, the small number of individuals who do cause
problems may have a negative effect and disrupt the
entire community. Failure to comply with university and/
or residential policies may result in disciplinary action.
Serious and/or repetitive violations of these policies may
be grounds for termination of a resident’s Housing License
Agreement and may affect his/her opportunity to return to
university residences.
Resident rights and responsibilities
Residents in university housing facilities possess specific
individual and group rights while engaged in activities
that are part of university life. With these rights, residents
have reciprocal responsibilities to ensure the same rights
for other residents. Housing and Residential Life staff will
assist residents in learning the rights and responsibilities
associated with community living and use them as a
guide in making decisions concerning resident welfare
and behavior. The following statements define minimal
expectations of residents and their guests.
Rights &
Residents have the right:
Residents have the responsibility:
nTo reasonable access to their living accommodations
based on a published schedule of occupancy
nTo read, understand and adhere to rules and
regulations governing students at the university
and in the residence halls/apartments, including the
Community Living Guide
nTo live in a clean and secure environment
nTo use facilities and programs that support the
pursuit of academic success
nTo have access to written copies of university housing
rules and regulations, or building policies that govern
individual and group behavior
nTo the respect for and safety of personal property
nTo study without interruption or interference
nTo be free from unreasonable noise
nTo be free of intimidation or harassment
nTo express themselves freely within established
nTo expect enforcement of the Housing License
nTo have direct access to staff who provide assistance,
guidance and support as needed
nTo host guests within established guidelines
nTo receive equitable treatment when behavior is in
nTo honor everyone as an individual and important
member of the community
nTo show proper university or state identification
when asked
nTo comply with reasonable requests made by staff,
university officials or fellow residents
nTo meet payment schedules for room, board and
other required fees
nTo sign in, monitor and accept responsibility for the
behavior of guests
nTo report violations of rules and regulations to
appropriate staff
nTo conduct themselves so as not to violate the rights
of other students and members of the residential
nTo conduct themselves in accordance with generally
accepted standards of conduct as embodied in
society’s laws and regulations
nTo receive individual freedoms regardless of race,
ethnicity, sex, national origin, disability, age,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression or political affiliation
nTo report broken items or damages to their living
nTo participate in resident governmental bodies and
housing departmental committees
Any violation of these responsibilities is subject to review
and action according to the procedures outlined in the
Community Living Guide for residents and the Student
Code of Conduct for Wayne State University.
nTo have access to individual and group social,
educational and developmental opportunities in their
living community
nTo refrain from damaging or removing communal
Assumed responsibility
Administrative searches
If you are aware of a policy violation or legal violation
that has occurred or is occurring within your room or
apartment (or community) and do not report it, you
have demonstrated that you are assuming responsibility
for the events that have occurred within your space.
Residents are responsible for all activities that occur in
their room/suite/apartment/community. By allowing
behaviors or items that violate residence hall/apartment/
university policies or city, state or federal laws, you have
demonstrated an assumed responsibility for the violations.
As a resident, you are responsible for taking an active role
in ensuring that inappropriate behaviors or items do not
exist in your residence hall/apartment building. It is your
responsibility to report behaviors or items that violate
policies or laws to a staff member. Passive participation
that violates policies or laws is not a valid reason to avoid
responsibility. Residents will be considered in violation of
housing policy and university policy if they fail to remove
themselves from an incriminating situation in any location
in the residence halls, apartment buildings, or campus.
The Chief Housing Officer or his/her designee(s) may
conduct an administrative search of a residence hall room
or apartment to determine compliance with the rules of
the institution; housing policies; or with federal, state, or
local laws if there is reasonable cause to believe a violation
has occurred or is occurring. The chief housing officer
or his/her designee(s) shall determine the existence of
“reasonable cause” and must grant authorization before
an administrative search can be conducted. Searches
may be conducted in the absence of residents, where a
violation has occurred or is occurring, and evidence may
be retained by the administration.
Apartment/residence hall
room entry
Wayne State University and the Office of Housing and
Residential Life are respectful and committed to the
protection of students’ right to privacy. The university also
has a responsibility to ensure that the welfare of people
on campus, the educational and service functions of
the university, and the property of the university receive
adequate attention and protection. To these ends, the
room entry policy is as follows:
Apartment/residence hall staff shall not enter a resident’s
room without permission from one of the residents, unless
under conditions of immediate and serious threat to the
safety, health or well-being of persons or property.
The university and/or its designee(s) reserve the right
to enter apartment/residence hall rooms and suites for
inspection, cleaning or maintenance purposes at reasonable
times and upon reasonable notice. Apartment/residence hall
rooms will be entered periodically each semester for health
and safety inspections. These typically take place during
university break periods in the residence halls.
Staff may also enter into a resident’s room, suite or
apartment if the resident is not present to eliminate
disruptive noise from electrical sound equipment such as
radios or alarms, which may violate an individual’s right
to sleep, study, read, etc. as defined in the Resident Rights
and Responsibilities Statement. A full-time staff member
will be contacted to give permission for the RA staff to
enter, and an incident report will be written if this occurs.
Access to rooms will not be granted to friends, relatives or
other students by staff. For your own safety and security,
you should keep your door closed and locked at all times
and should not give your key/OneCard out to anyone.
Judicial process and
Breach of Housing License
Any violation of the rules and regulations contained in this
publication may be considered a breach of the Housing
License Agreement. The Chief Housing Officer or designee
is authorized to cancel the Housing License Agreement of
residents who are considered to be in breach of the Housing
License Agreement. No refunds will be given to those found
in breach of the Housing License Agreement and additional
fees or penalties may be assessed. Students may also be
permanently banned from housing due to violations of the
Housing License Agreement. All cancellations of a Housing
License Agreement or bans from housing will be handled
according to the administrative meeting procedures and the
appeal process set forth below.
Incident reporting
Violations of the Community Living Guide and the
university Student Code of Conduct in university housing
are usually reported and documented through an incident
report. Incident reports may be filed by any university
or residential community member at a building front
desk with assistance from an RA or Office Services Clerk.
Typically, incident reports are filed by Residential Life staff
to address concerns within or around any Housing and
Residential Life facilities. Incident reports are submitted to
the community director of the building and may also be
submitted to the director of Housing and Residential Life,
assistant director, director for facilities, associate director
for facilities, chief housing officer, dean of students and the
student conduct officer. The WSU Police Department may
also view and use these reports.
When an incident report is filed, a designated individual
(typically the community director) will review the incident
report and make a decision to:
nHandle the incident internally as an alleged
violation of the Housing License Agreement and the
Community Living Guide.
Rights and responsibilities
nHandle the incident as an alleged violation of the
Student Code of Conduct or other university policy
by forwarding the report to the student conduct
nHandle the incident as an alleged violation of both
the Housing License Agreement/Community Living
Guide and the Student Code of Conduct.
The process for investigations and hearings conducted by
the student conduct officer may be obtained through the
Dean of Students Office, located on the seventh floor of
the Student Center Building, or at
The process described herein may be reasonably modified
or extended if residents are unable to meet in a timely way
or an investigation of the incident requires more time.
Disciplinary sanctions are imposed for behavior that is
in violation of housing policy. The following behavioral
sanctions may be imposed for violation of housing policies
and procedures as described in the Housing License
Agreement and the Community Living Guide. Please note
this is not an inclusive or exhaustive list:
nVerbal warning
nWritten warning
Administrative meeting
nLetter of understanding
Once a behavior has been determined by a community
director or designee to be a potential violation of the
Housing License Agreement and/or the Community
Living Guide, a community director or designee will meet
with the resident(s) involved to discuss the incident and
determine an appropriate response.
nEducational programs and/or bulletin boards
Each resident involved will receive an allegation letter
by email or delivered to their residence hall room or
apartment within ten (10) calendar days of the incident.
The letter will describe the incident and alleged violations
and set a deadline by which a meeting to discuss the
incident must be scheduled with the community director
or designee.
nMoving a resident to a new floor or building
Residents who receive an allegation letter are required
to make an appointment with the community director
or designee for an administrative meeting within five (5)
calendar days of the date of the letter.
Failure to arrange the required meeting to review the
incident and alleged violations and/or failure to attend a
scheduled meeting will result in the community director or
designee making a determination of the facts and issuing
appropriate sanctions without further input of the resident
Within five (5) calendar days of the administrative meeting
or decision in lieu of meeting due to failure of the resident
to schedule a meeting or appear at a scheduled meeting,
a written decision of the final determination will be sent to
the resident. This letter will describe the decision, which
may include sanctions if the resident has been found
responsible, and describe future expectations or conditions
as appropriate.
nHall Council attendance
nReflective paper
nSuspension/revocation of guest or other hall/
apartment privileges
nResidence hall/apartment probation
nRemoval of a resident from university housing
(Housing License Agreement termination)
nBanned from entering university housing and dining
facilities as a guest
Appeals process
Residents who have received disciplinary sanctions as
a result of administrative meetings may appeal those
decisions in writing through email to the director of
Housing and Residential Life or designee within five (5)
calendar days of receipt of the final determination letter.
If the director of Housing and Residential Life participated
in the original administrative meeting that resulted in
disciplinary sanctions and a resident wishes to appeal, such
an appeal can be directed in writing to the chief housing
officer within five (5) calendar days of receipt of the final
determination letter.
All sanctions will be enforced immediately until modified
by an appeal.
Official housing regulations
Rules and regulations
Wayne State University, as an equal opportunity institution,
is committed to compliance with federal and state laws
prohibiting discrimination. It is the policy of Wayne State
University and the Office of Housing and Residential
Life that no person will be discriminated against in
employment, educational programs and activities on the
basis of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age,
sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
The chief housing officer or his/her designee may
disseminate rules and regulations concerning conduct in
apartments/residence halls for the safety and convenience
of the residents as a whole and to clarify procedures for
administration of the residence halls and apartments.
Residents must comply with all rules and regulations of
municipal, state or federal authorities and must, at all
times, comply with the rules and regulations in force or
adopted by the university and the Office of Housing and
Residential Life as set forth in the university’s Student Code
of Conduct, the Housing License Agreement Terms and
Conditions, and the Community Living Guide.
It is also the policy of Wayne State University and the
Office of Housing and Residential Life that no person will
be retaliated against and/or harassed as a result of filing a
complaint for discrimination. More information about the
university’s non-discrimination policy can be found at
Notice of change in policy
Any notices or announcements of changes to policies and
procedures may be served in writing or by WSU email to a
resident’s AccessID.
Notices will be deemed properly given if:
nPosted prominently in the apartments/residence halls
for a period of no less than one week (when possible)
nDelivered personally or through campus mail/email
nDelivered by registered mail in a postage-paid
envelope addressed to the student at the hall or
apartment building in which the resident resides.
Notices may also be updated at
Right to terminate occupancy
The chief housing officer or his/her designee reserves
the right to cancel the Housing License Agreement and
terminate a resident’s housing when the conduct of
the resident disrupts other residents; when the resident
disregards the rights of other residents; when the
resident’s conduct jeopardizes the safety and well-being
of others; or when the resident violates the terms of the
Housing License Agreement, municipal, state or federal
law, or policies of the university. The resident will be
given notice and an opportunity to be heard prior to
termination, although the chief housing officer or designee
reserves the right to take immediate action to remove a
resident or other person for safety, health or emergency
reasons. Housing License Agreements terminated due to
behavioral issues do not entitle the resident to a refund
(see Community Expectations and Protocols).
Policy violations
The following is a range of policy
violations in university housing. This
is in no way an inclusive or exhaustive
Article I — Aiders and abettors
No person shall aid and abet another
person in committing an act which
violates the Community Living
Guide, expectations and protocols
for residents, Wayne State University
Student Code of Conduct, Michigan
law or federal law. Anyone who
aids or abets in the violation of any
policy or law, or who encourages the
violation of any policy or law may be
deemed as responsible as the actual
violator or offender and may be
subject to the same sanctions as the
original violator. See also Assumed
Responsibility information, page 33.
Article 2 — Alcohol
A. Ghafari and Atchison Halls are
dry halls. This means that no person
shall possess, transport, consume or
be in the presence of any forms of
alcohol at any time in any area of
these buildings regardless of the age
of the persons involved.
B. Residents living in Towers
Residential Suites and DeRoy,
Chatsworth and University Tower
Apartments who are over the age of
21 may possess and consume alcohol
within their apartment/suite only if all
occupants (residents and guests) are
over the age of 21. All other alcohol
policies outlined below apply.
C. Drinking any forms of alcohol
in public areas is strictly prohibited.
Public areas are all areas other than
individual living spaces. Public
areas include but are not limited to:
lobbies, hallways, living/multipurpose
rooms, lounges, restrooms, recreation
areas, stairwells, elevators and
outdoor areas.
D. If any of the residents or guests
of a suite or apartment are not of legal
drinking age (21 years), no alcohol
is allowed in the room at any time.
Neither the residents nor their guests
(even if they are of legal drinking age)
may bring alcoholic beverages into
a room where any person under the
age of 21 lives or is present.
E. Possession or consumption of
alcoholic beverages by persons under
the legal drinking age as defined
by Michigan law is prohibited. Any
person under 21 who is in possession
of alcohol or is in a room where
alcohol is knowingly present will be
assumed to have been consuming
alcohol. If a resident is under 21 years
of age and in a room where alcohol
is present, a violation will be written
for all residents present (regardless
of age). It will be presumed that
all persons present over the age of
21 furnished alcohol to any minors
F. No person shall dispense, sell
or supply alcoholic beverages to a
person under the legal drinking age
as defined by Michigan law.
G. No person shall possess or use
a common source of alcohol (i.e.
keg, trashcan, multiple cases, etc.)
whether empty or full, nor shall
any person participate in an event
where a common source is present.
Empty alcohol containers and/or
packaging within a resident’s room
will be considered the property
of the resident. Any resident and
guest(s) can be held in violation of
the Community Living Guide and/
or the university alcohol policy if
empty containers are in their room.
No person shall use a room, suite or
apartment (or allow others to use it)
for alcohol parties.
H. No person shall possess or use
paraphernalia used explicitly for
alcohol consumption, (i.e. funnel,
bong, etc.). No person shall possess
or display empty alcohol containers.
I. Public advertisements of alcohol
products are prohibited. This includes
any signs or advertisements that
are visible from public areas and
any alcohol-related signs, displays
or objects visible from outside your
room, suite or apartment.
J. Intoxicated individuals will face
disciplinary sanctions under the
alcohol policy. Residential Life staff
will determine whether a person is
intoxicated based on the behavior
of the person at the time of the
incident. Residential Life staff are not
responsible for the care of intoxicated
Article 3 — Children
Parents are responsible for the
supervision of their children at all
times. Parents will be held responsible
for any damage or misuse of property
caused by their children. Children
under the age of 16 cannot be left
unattended. DeRoy, University Tower,
and Chatsworth Tower unfurnished
apartments are approved for family
housing. Residents staying in Ghafari
Hall, Atchison Hall, Towers Residential
Suites and DeRoy furnished
apartment-style housing may have
children visit them periodically but
the residents may not have their
children living in these residence halls
or furnished apartment-style spaces.
Article 4 — Creating an unsafe
A. No person shall participate in
disturbances that threaten the health
and safety of one’s self or others.
B. No person shall enter, exit,
throw, drop or project objects off, out
or into a residence hall/apartment
window. Screens must be left secured
and in place at all times.
C. No resident or guest shall give
access to the building by propping
security doors open or allowing
others to enter (“tailgate”) into
the halls or apartments. Residents
and their guests shall not enter/exit
through emergency exit doors except
in case of emergency.
D. No person shall impede safe
evacuation of residents from a
building or participate in behavior
which may potentially block
entrances or impede pedestrians.
This is prohibited on residence hall
and apartment grounds, porches,
playgrounds, courtyards, entrance
ways, and directly adjacent areas. In
addition, personal belongings (i.e.
furniture, trash, etc.) should not be
placed/left in hallways, stairwells,
lobbies, elevators, etc. Staff will assess
reasonable fees for the removal and
disposal of such items.
E. No person shall remove/alter
window stops so that windows can
open wider than currently restricted.
Article 5 — Drugs and drug
A. No person shall receive, possess,
use, consume, sell, manufacture,
distribute, be in the presence of or be
under the influence of illegal drugs,
narcotics or controlled substances or
engage in improper self-medication
while on university property. Any
prescription drug not found in the
original container with the resident’s
name on the bottle is a violation of
the drug policy.
B. No person shall possess or use
paraphernalia used for drug use (i.e.
rolling papers, bong, scale, roach
clips, etc.).
Note: Smoke from prohibited drugs
and/or documentation of the smell
of such drugs will be considered
a violation of the drug policy.
Documentation from trained staff
is considered reasonable evidence
for use in a conduct hearing/
administrative meeting.
Article 6 — Failure to comply with
a staff member performing duties/
failure to produce ID upon request/
furnishing false information
A. A resident shall not furnish
false or misleading information to
university staff. No person shall fail
to comply with a reasonable request
of university staff, including Housing
and Residential Life staff, acting in the
performance of his/her duties. Also,
no person shall use abusive language,
display defiance or disrespect, or
other behavior which is threatening
and directed toward university or
Housing and Residential Life staff.
B. No person shall fail to comply
with the student conduct officer. No
person shall fail to respond, schedule
a meeting, or provide information to
a Housing and Residential Life staff
member or to the university conduct
C. No person shall provide false
or misleading information to a staff
member or refuse to positively
identify him/herself and show
appropriate identification to a
university official, Housing and
Residential Life staff member, or his/
her designee(s).
Article 7 — Fire safety
A. No person shall set a fire in a
residence hall or apartment building
or areas immediately associated with
the facilities.
B. No person shall falsely report
a fire, interfere in any way with
emergency services or procedures, or
fail to conform to established safety
C. No person shall fail to
immediately exit during a fire alarm.
D. No person shall tamper with the
fire equipment used to notify people
of, detect or suppress a fire, nor use
such equipment for anything other
than the prevention or control of a
fire. This includes: smoke detectors,
sprinklers, fire alarms, fire alarm
covers, fire hoses, fire extinguisher
boxes, door closers, exit lights, alarm
systems and any other firefighting
E. Fire safety violations may result
in immediate removal from university
Article 8 — Free access and
cleanliness/health and safety
requirements/improper trash
A. No person shall interfere with the
free access of another to and from his
or her own apartment, room or suite.
No person shall interfere with the
safe or clean environment of others.
This includes room and bathroom
maintenance, proper trash removal,
intentional damage, etc.
B. No person shall fail to meet the
minimum cleanliness standards set by
the Office of Housing and Residential
Life. Residents are expected to meet
the minimum standards in their
rooms/apartments at all times and
to pass health and safety inspections
as they are conducted by Residence
Life staff throughout the year.
Residents who repeatedly fail to pass
inspections and meet health and
safety requirements may be subject
to cleaning fees and removal from
university housing.
C. Residents are expected to
work with Housing staff to control
unwanted pests. Residents notified of
an inspection or treatment, whether
requested due to current problems
or as part of housing’s regularly
scheduled preventative plan, must
be fully prepped and ready for
the inspection/treatment on the
scheduled date and time. Residents
who do not follow the preparation
guidelines provided to them or who
continue to have reoccurring pest
issues may be subject to fees for
repeated treatments and removal
from university housing.
D. Residents should place trash only
in designated trash disposal areas,
(i.e. trashrooms, trash compactors
or dumpsters). Trash should not be
placed or left in hallways, lounges
or other common areas, stairwells,
elevators, etc.
Article 9 — Gambling/profitable
A. Gambling is prohibited in
university housing.
B. The resident will occupy the
assigned space solely as a residence
for himself/herself and not as a
salesroom or a storage room for
merchandise. Residents may not
conduct nor condone any manner
of business operations from their
campus residence. Exceptions can
be made for the sale of personally
owned items (e.g. textbooks) or
a personal service (e.g. typing) by
contacting the Office of Housing
and Residential Life. Businesses
of any type are prohibited in the
apartments/residence halls. Examples
include babysitting, tattooing,
piercings, nails, hair, massages,
cosmetics, adult entertainment, eBay,
home interior, candles, scrapbook,
and snack/food item sales. This is not
a comprehensive list.
Article 10 — Guests
A. All non-residents are considered
guests and must be registered at
the front desk when entering an
apartment or residence hall building
(i.e. parents, siblings, children/babies,
other relatives, associates and/or
friends). This includes other oncampus residents who do not live in
the building they wish to enter.
A person is identified as a guest in
any of these situations:
nA resident invites the person to a
residence hall or apartment
nA resident allows a person to
remain in his/her room
nA resident escorts/checks the
person into the building
B. Roommates must discuss their
preferences with respect to all guests
in the room. Guests of one roommate
cannot infringe on the rights of other
C. No person shall fail to escort
guests at all times while in the
building, including entering and
exiting the building. No person shall
fail to register their guests at the
front desk in accordance with the
guest policy. Residents must inform
guests of the need for required
forms of ID to visit the apartments/
residence halls. All university housing
buildings, including apartment
buildings, require 24-hour guest
registration. All guests must provide
an acceptable form of ID. Acceptable
forms of photo ID include a valid
driver’s license or state ID, military
ID, passport, college/university ID,
or high school ID for students who
are currently enrolled in high school.
WSU students may use their OneCard
to check in as a guest. Guests
who do not provide acceptable ID
will be denied entrance into the
building. Signing a visitor into an
apartment/residence hall designates
you as the host. The host will be
held responsible for all actions of
their guests (see Implied Consent
D. Residents living in Ghafari
and Atchison Halls or the Towers
Residential Suites, DeRoy, Chatsworth
or University Tower apartments may
register guests at any time.
E. Residents in any of our
apartments or residence halls are
allowed to have no more than three
(3) guests registered to him/her at any
time. The university reserves the right
to limit the frequency of guest visits.
F. No person shall fail to take
responsibility for his or her guest(s),
which includes informing them of
policies and being responsible for
the guests’ behavior within university
housing. This includes failure to take
immediate and appropriate action to
prevent or stop a violation by a guest.
If a violation takes place by a guest,
the hosting resident is responsible
for the guest’s violation(s), financially
and judicially (See Implied Consent
Article 11 — Guests (overnight)/
A. Overnight guests: Each resident
of university housing may host
one (1) overnight guest at a time
and must have prior approval from
their roommate(s). Each resident is
allowed to have a maximum of six (6)
overnight guests during a month.
B. Ghafari Hall, Atchison Hall
and the Towers Residential Suites
— Overnight guests must register
at the front desk. Residents may
register guest, at any time. Guests
in the building between 1-8:30 a.m.
Sunday-Thursday and 2-8:30 a.m.
Friday and Saturday are considered
overnight guests and must be
registered as overnight guests even
if they were checked in as nonovernight guests prior to the listed
C. Chatsworth, DeRoy and
University Tower Apartments — All
overnight guests must be registered
at the front desk.
D. Where applicable, in both
apartments and residence halls,
hosts will incur costs for unapproved
guests staying for an extended
duration. Roommates who do not
report an overnight guest may also
be responsible for part of these costs.
This policy also applies to residents
who have single rooms.
E. Cohabitation: Additional
occupants may not live within the
premises other than those assigned
by the Office of Housing and
Residential Life. Visitors are permitted
ONLY in accordance with policies
established by the university and as
outlined in this guide. No one visitor
may sign in as an overnight guest
more than six (6) times in a particular
building within a month; this will be
considered cohabitation.
F. Our apartments cannot
accommodate long-term visitors such
as parents, relatives or other longterm guests. If the occupancy rate of
an apartment permits, parents may
be added to the license agreement;
if not, they must seek other
accommodations or the residents
must transfer to a larger apartment
that will accommodate the number
of people living there. Relatives other
than parents and children who are
not WSU students are not able to
reside in university apartments.
Article 12 — Harassment/threats
A. No person shall physically or
emotionally harass another person
verbally; in writing; or through the
phone, computer, etc. No person
shall harass or stalk any person or
group of persons. Stalking, racial
and sexual harassment are included
under this policy. Sexual harassment
is defined under WSU Statute No.
2.28.06, which can be found at
B. Harassment that threatens
or endangers the health or safety
of another person is prohibited.
Harassment can be physical, verbal,
in writing, in person, via telephone or
text, or other electronic means.
C. No person shall exhibit behavior
that threatens to harm or to cause
reasonable apprehension of harm to
any other person or their property,
including university and Residential
Life staff.
D. Placing an explosive device or an
intentional facsimile of such a device,
or threatening the placement of
explosives in housing, food service or
adjacent areas is prohibited.
Article 13 — Hazing
No person shall engage in any type
or form of hazing. Hazing is defined
as “any planned or spontaneous
action or situation that is demeaning
to an individual, results in physical
abuse or mental duress, or in any way
threatens or endangers the health or
safety of an individual.”
Article 14 — Illegal entry/
Entrance to any resident’s room
or apartment is by invitation only
(except for university staff as defined
in the Housing License Agreement).
Entering without invitation
is prohibited and considered
trespassing. Entrance by any person
who has been banned from the
residence halls or apartments
is prohibited and is considered
trespassing. Trespassers will be
removed immediately by the WSUPD.
Article 15 — Noise
A. No person shall cause or
otherwise contribute to unreasonable
noise in university housing.
B. No person shall interfere with
attempts of others to study or sleep.
C. Courtesy hours are in effect
24 hours a day in apartments and
residence halls. Residents are expected
to occupy all parts of the apartments/
halls in a quiet, peaceful and lawful
manner that does not interfere
with the enjoyment and use of the
premises by other residents and staff.
D. Quiet hours are defined as
specified periods of time when it is
expected that noise will not interrupt
the required atmosphere for living
and learning. During quiet hours, all
activities that might be disturbing to
others must be suspended. Residents
and their guests are expected to
refrain from generating any noise
that transfers from room to room,
room to hallway, public areas to
rooms or hallways, or carries down
the hallway. This includes speaking
loudly in the hallway and the volume
of TVs or stereos. Noise must not be
audible outside the door, floor or
ceiling of a room, suite or apartment.
Residents and guests who violate this
requirement may be administratively
removed from the community at
any time. Students playing musical
instruments in the halls or apartments
are required to use a muting device.
E. Lofting or de-lofting beds should
not take place during quiet hours.
F. Quiet hours in all residence halls
and apartment buildings are as listed
below unless specifically published
Weekdays (Sun.-Thurs.)
10 p.m.-9 a.m.
Weekends (Fri.-Sat.)
11 p.m.-9 a.m.
G. During final exam periods,
beginning with Study Day, quiet
hours are enforced 24 hours a day
in residence halls. No person shall
interfere with attempts of others
to sleep or study during final exam
periods; such a violation may result
in immediate removal from the
apartments/residence halls.
Article 16 — Non-acceptance of a
new roommate
No person shall impede or fail to
accept a roommate assigned by the
Office of Housing and Residential
Life (i.e. using more than one bed,
dresser, desk, chair, closet, failing to
allow access to the new roommate,
treating the new roommate or his/
her possessions inappropriately, etc.).
Residents should be prepared to
accept a new roommate at any time.
Housing and Residential Life staff are
authorized to move belongings of an
individual who has occupied more
than one space.
Article 17 — Online communication/
housing network violations
Students must abide by the university’s
acceptable use policy for technology.
Downloading illegal music, videos and
other media is prohibited and subject
to possible charges.
Article 18 — Pets
A. Animals/pets are not permitted in
the apartments or residence halls with
the exception of non-flesh-eating fish.
Fish tanks shall not exceed 10 gallons.
B. A resident found in violation of
this policy will be required to remove
the pet immediately. Fines will be
assessed on a per-day basis until the
pet is removed, with a minimum
charge of $100.
C. Any costs associated with
having an illegal pet (i.e. cleaning,
extermination, floor or furniture
repair) will be assessed to the
resident’s account. Costs are
determined by the Office of Housing
and Residential Life.
Article 19 — Prohibited items/fire
A. No person shall possess or use
any object that displays an open
flame or coil.
B. In Ghafari Hall, Atchison Hall
and the Towers Residential Suites,
candles, incense, oil lamps, hot iron/
curling iron stoves, and electrical
appliances such as electric skillets/
frying pans, woks, electric grills,
George Foreman-type grills, griddles,
broilers, hot plates, hot pots,
toasters, toaster ovens, crockpots,
blenders and refrigerators in excess
of five (5) cubic feet are prohibited.
Residents will be asked to remove
prohibited appliances/items. If he/
she fails to remove the item, it will be
confiscated and stored for 10 working
days, in which the student can obtain
their item(s) and remove them from
campus. After the 10-day period,
items left behind will be disposed of.
C. In Chatsworth, DeRoy and
University Tower apartments, candles
are prohibited unless they are in a
glass container with sides that are
taller than the candle. Incense is also
prohibited. Also prohibited in the
apartments are washing machines
and dryers.
D. Additional prohibited items in
all buildings — Pets, lofts, waterbeds,
heat lamps, halogen lamps, space
heaters, air conditioners, electric
blankets, chest/deep freezers, furniture
from the lounge, drug and/or alcohol
bottles and related paraphernalia,
firearms, fireworks, explosives,
weapons, wireless routers, stripper
poles, barber chairs, fog machines,
wall mounted televisions, etc.
E. Fire hazards — Bringing or
keeping distillates such as fuel,
solvents or highly combustible
substances in a room or apartment
is prohibited. This restriction applies
to any container, tank, cylinder or
other device (empty or otherwise)
used to contain or store combustible
Article 20 — Room occupancy
A. No person shall occupy an empty
room or space to which they are not
assigned or enter restricted areas such
as storage rooms and roofs.
B. Residents who move from their
assigned room or suite without prior
approval are subject to a $100 fine
and will be required to relocate to the
original assigned space.
C. Any resident allowing a nonresident (guest, friend, parent, relative,
etc.) to reside in the apartments
or residence halls will be charged
with violating the Housing License
Agreement and could face immediate
removal from university housing.
D. Apartment occupancy —
Apartments may not exceed the
occupancy limits as listed in the
Housing License Agreement.
Apartments cannot accommodate
long-term guests. All occupants must
be added to the license agreement
or find other accommodations
according to the terms of our
Housing License Agreement and
Community Living Guide (see also
cohabitation policy).
Article 21 — Sexual assault
No person shall use force or the
threat of force to engage a person in
sexual activities without the person’s
willing consent. This includes all
unwanted sexual contact. Conduct
will be considered without consent
if no clear consent is given or when
the inflicted person is unconscious
or otherwise without the physical or
mental capacity to consent. Inflicting
sexual contact on someone under
the influence of alcohol or drugs may
be considered “without consent.”
Violators will be charged under the
Student Code of Conduct. Violators
may also be prosecuted under
federal, state and local law.
Article 22 — Smoke- and
tobacco-free campus
Smoking anything containing
tobacco (cigarettes, clove cigarettes,
cigars, pipes, electronic cigarettes,
hookahs, etc.) in any university
housing building is prohibited in all
areas, including common areas such
as stairwells, hallways, elevators,
lounges, etc., as well as resident
rooms and apartments. Fines will be
assessed for the repair or replacement
of any furniture, walls, ceilings, etc.
damaged by smoking. Hookahs may
be stored in rooms but not used there.
Article 23 — Theft and privacy
A. No person shall possess, tamper
with or borrow without permission
the personal property of others.
Such actions will be treated as
theft. This includes residence hall
and apartment property, university
property, personal property,
furnishings and equipment. This
also includes removal of food and/
or eating and drinking utensils from
designated dining areas in the halls.
Privacy and theft violations claiming
to be committed as a so-called joke,
a prank, or “innocent fun” will be
treated as serious violations.
B. No person shall, without proper
authorization, remove any property
from its assigned place in a residence
hall, apartment or suite. This includes
all common room space (i.e. lounge
C. No person shall knowingly
furnish false information or make false
accusations of theft.
D. Theft is considered grounds for
removal from university housing and
violators may be prosecuted under
federal, state and local law.
Article 24 — Unauthorized
possession of any campus key/
card/hall sticker
No person shall permit another
to, nor shall themselves, use the
university identification of another,
including the OneCard, hall stickers,
room key, student identification card,
etc., for the purpose of improperly
gaining access to a residence
hall, apartment building, dining
facility or residence hall/apartment
sponsored event. The unauthorized
possession, duplication, use or sale
of keys, OneCards, or hall stickers is
prohibited. OneCards/keys/stickers
will be confiscated from those not
authorized to possess them.
Article 25 — Vandalism
No person shall damage, deface, or
destroy any property. This includes,
but is not limited to, marking or
writing on room doors, floors,
walls, elevators, stairwells, lobby
bathrooms, community rooms,
lounge furniture, carpet, windows,
window screens and wireless access
points. Individuals and/or groups of
residents — including a suite, floor or
entire building — may be charged for
damages and/or cleanup fees due to
vandalism (see Group Damage Billing
information). Vandalism violations
claiming to be committed as a socalled joke, a prank, or “innocent fun”
will be treated as serious violations.
Article 26 — Violence/disorderly
A. No person shall assault,
physically batter or intimidate
another. No person shall threaten to
assault, physically batter or intimidate
another. Physical violence may
result in immediate removal from
university housing and banning from
all housing and dining facilities. In
addition, charges will be filed with
the student conduct officer.
B. No person shall be involved
in disruptive or abusive behavior
including but not limited to:
physical abuse, verbal altercations,
fighting, destruction of property,
snowball fights, water fights, sports
in the hallway/building (i.e. ball
dribbling, hockey playing, skating,
running, rollerblading, bicycles, or
scooters), and other violations of the
Community Living Guide.
C. No person shall behave in a
manner which disturbs the peace
of others, disrupts university or
Residential Life staff in their daily
operations or behave in a manner that
has a disruptive influence upon others.
Article 27 — Weapons, firearms,
A. No person shall display, possess,
manufacture, sell, distribute, use or
intend to use firearms, BB and pellet
guns, ammunition, paintball guns,
blow guns, air guns, dart guns, bows
(this includes crossbows), arrows,
knives, martial arts weapons, tasers
of any kind, slingshots, fireworks,
firecrackers, explosives, smoke
devices, chemicals and/or other
dangerous weapons, and hazardous
objects or any device that could be
used to inflict injury in the public
or private areas of apartments
or residence halls. A dangerous
weapon is any weapon capable of
causing death or serious bodily harm
including but not limited to large
knives, daggers, metallic knuckles,
swords, bows, arrows, etc. Items
such as mace or pepper spray that
are used inappropriately may be
considered weapons.
B. Any items brandished as a
weapon are also considered a
violation of this policy.
Article 28 — Violation of the
university Student Code of Conduct
No person shall violate the Student
Code of Conduct. Copies of the
Student Code of Conduct can be
obtained from the Dean of Students
Office, located on the third floor
of the Student Center Building,
313-577-1010, or can be accessed
Wayne State University Board of Governors
Gary S. Pollard, chair, Paul E. Massaron, vice chair, Diane L. Dunaskiss,
Marilyn Kelly, David A. Nicholson, Sandra Hughes O’Brien,
Dana Thompson, Kim Trent, M. Roy Wilson, ex officio
Published 2015
Was this manual useful for you? yes no
Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Download PDF