VBrick Digital Signage Technical Manual | Data Backups
To avoid loss of data in the event that a problem occurs, it is imperative that you perform data backups.
The frequency with which the database should be backed up depends on the organization’s usage habits.
Contact VBrick Technical Support to obtain the appropriate backup file for your operating system.
To avoid loss of data, it is imperative that you perform system backups. The frequency with which the
VBrick Digital Signage database should be backed up depends on your organization’s usage habits. The frequency of the changes to the settings and messages coupled with the tolerance for data loss will indicate the proper frequency.
To back up the database:
1. Go to Start | Programs | VBrick | Channel Player Utility a. Use the Services tab to stop all VBrick Digital Signage Services
2. Select Start | Programs | VBrick | Configure Device a. On the Services tab i. Highlight MSSQLSERVER and click Stop ii. Click Refresh until MSSQLSERVER is labeled as Stopped iii. Highlight MSSQLSERVER and click Start iv. Click Refresh until MSSQLSERVER is labeled Running
3. On the SQL Server Tab a. Highlight VBrick database and click Backup i. Name the backup file ii. Click Save iii. Exit the Configuration Device iv. Copy C:\Program Files\VBrick\Digital Signage\Content Services\BinaryStorage to a zip file and save it
4. Reboot the server
The frequency with which your VBrick Digital Signagedatabase should be backed up is dependent on your organization’s usage habits. The frequency of the changes to your settings and bulletins coupled with your tolerance for data loss will indicate the proper frequency.
VBrick Digital Signage Technical Manual
CAUTION: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER VBrick Digital Signage DATA if you fail to both backup the database and copy the file structure, or if you allow the database and file structure to get out of sync.
Currently VBrick Digital Signage does not facilitate the automation of the backup procedure.
This procedure assumes the data will be restored onto the same Content Manager from which it was originally taken. (If this is not the case, please see the following section for Migration Instructions.)
CAUTION: Be sure to restore both the database and Binary Storage folder at the same time while no processes are acting on either, to avoid the possibility of them becoming misaligned and ruining the data restore.
To restore a backup:
1. Go to Start | Programs | VBrick and launch the Channel Player Utility; use the Services tab to stop all VBrick Digital Signage Services
2. Use the IIS Manager to stop the Default Web Site
3. Rename the existing Binary Storage usually located at C:/Program Files/VBrick/Digital Sig-
nage/Content Services For example: BinaryStorage.Old
NOTE: You can delete the old Binary Storage folder after the restore has completed successfully.
4. Copy the Binary Storage from the Backup into the installation directory usually located at C:/Pro-
gram Files/VBrick/Digital Signage/Content Services
5. Open the SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the SQL Server
6. Expand the Databases folder and right-click on the VBrick Digital Signage database and select
Tasks | Restore | Database.
7. Point to the .bak file and restore it to the current database
8. Run the Upgrade Device wizard at Start | Programs | VBrick
NOTE: If you get a message that Upgrade Device cannot run because it has already been successfully executed, delete the
Tei.Common.UpgradeDevice.dat file from the Content Services folder.
9. Use the IIS Manager to start the Default Web Site
10. Reboot the Content Manager
11. Login to the WebUI
You must have access to a VBrick Digital Signage Content Manager that you would like to migrate and have a new Content Manager that meets the same VBrick Digital Signage Licensing requirements as previous VBrick Digital Signage configuration with an older version of VBrick Digital Signage installed on it.
Migrations can only be completed through the “Upgrade” process.
Preparing for VBrick Digital Signage Migration
In preparation for the VBrick Digital Signage Migration you must: l
Verify new Content Manager meets all Licensing requirements of previous VBrick Digital Signage configuration.
Collect all of the files needed to complete the migration without interruption.
Transfer a copy of the latest version of VBrick Digital Signage onto new Content Manager (not installed).
Verify New Content Manager Meets Licensing Requirements
To ensure a smooth migration, the new Content Manager must have the same Licensing Requirements as the previous VBrick Digital Signage configuration.
1. Log into existing VBrick Digital Signage UI as an administrator
2. Go to System Tools | Status
3. Select theSystem Configuration Report link
4. Verify that your new Content Manager has then same quantity of feature keys as previous the previous Content Manager
Transferring Files from Existing Content Manager
To perform a migration you must acquire the following information from the existing Content Manager configuration and place them in an easily accessible location on the new Content Manager.
VBrick Digital Signage Technical Manual
1. Create a new folder called “Migration” on the new Content Manager’s desktop
2. Stop all VBrick Digital Signage Services on the previous Content Manager a. Select Start | All Programs | VBrick | Signage Player Utility b. Click VBrick Services tab c. Click the List Services button d. Select all of the Services e. Click Stop Selected VBrick Digital Signage Services
3. Copy the entire “BinaryStorage” folder from previous Content Manager to the new Content Manager’s “Migration” folder
4. Copy “VBrick_Data.mdf” file from previous Content Manager to the new Content Manager’s “Migration” folder
5. Copy “VBrick_Log.ldf” file from previous to new the Content Manager’s “Migration” folder
6. Start all VBrick Digital Signage Services on previous VBrick Digital Signage Content Manager
Getting Latest Version of VBrick Digital Signage
Transfer a copy of the latest VBrick Digital Signage software to new Content Manager.
Performing the Migration
At this point, you should have everything you need to begin and complete the migration process on the new Content Manager.
Uninstall VBrick Digital Signage
To uninstall the current version of VBrick Digital Signage:
1. Stop all VBrick Digital Signage Services on the Content Manager
2. Go to Start | Control Panel | Programs to uninstall VBrick Digital Signagefrom the Content Manager
3. Restart the Content Manager
Install Latest Version
To install the latest version of VBrick Digital Signage:
1. Launch the VBrick Digital Signage Content Services “setup.exe” file
2. Follow the steps to perform a standard installation
With the latest version of VBrick Digital Signage installed, you can update the transferred content into
VBrick Digital Signage.
1. Verify that all VBrick Digital Signage Services are stopped by going to Start | All Programs |
VBrick | Channel Player Utility | VBrick Services | List Services
2. Stop the default website in IIS. There are 2 ways of performing this: a. Using Command Prompt i. Open Command Prompt ii. “iisreset /stop” b. Using IIS Manager i. Start | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager ii. Open left navigation tree to Default Web Site level iii. Select “Default Web Site” iv. Click Stop under “Manage Web Site” on right panel
3. Delete “BinaryStorage” folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\VBrick\Content Services
4. Copy and paste “BinaryStorage” folder from “Migration” folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\VBrick\Digital Signage\Content Services
5. Modify Permission on new “BinaryStorage” folder to allow the “Users” group to have Full Control
NOTE: If the “vbuser” profile on Content Manager only has “Administrators” group then skip this step.
a. Right-click on “BinaryStorage” folder b. Select “Properties” c. Select “Security” tab d. Click the “Edit” permissions button e. Select “Users” group from “Groups or user names” list f. Click the “Allow” checkbox for “Full Control”
6. Click the Apply buttonand then click the OK button
7. Open Start | All Programs | VBrick | Configure Device
8. Select “SQL Server” tab
9. Select “VBrick” database and click “Detach” button
NOTE: A dialog will appear for confirmation on detaching the database. Select “Yes”.
10. Click the Refresh button and verify that the database has been removed from list
VBrick Digital Signage Technical Manual
11. While keeping the Configuration Utility open, delete VBrick_data.mdf and VBrick_Log.ldf from
C:\Program Files (x86)\VBrick\Digital Signage\Content Services\Database
12. Copy and paste “VBrick_Data.mdf” and “VBrick_Log.ldf” files from “Migration” folder to C:\Program
Files (x86)\VBrick\Content Services\Database
13. In the Configuration Utility, under the “Attach Local VBrick Digital Signage Database” section, select the
Find button for the Primary Data File.This should pull up the newly replaced “VBrick_
Data.mdf”. Select the file and click
14. Click the Attach button
15. Close the Configuration Utility
Now that the previous VBrick Digital Signage Content has been migrated to the new Content Manager, you can begin Upgrading the device.
1. Go to Start | All Programs | VBrick | Upgrade Device
2. Click the Proceed! link
3. The Upgrade wizard will fail on “Step 7: Updating Configuration Files”. When this happens, open
“Configure Device” to change the names of existing devices
NOTE: The reason this fails is because the database still has all of the previous Content Manager and Signage Players configuration.
a. Start | All Programs | VBrick | Configure Device b. Select “Configure” tab c. Click “Device Name” link under the “Change” heading d. Change the device name for the “Content” role to the new Content Manager’s Computer
Name e. Change the device name for the “Display” role to the Signage Players
NOTE: Only change the Signage Player’s Name if you plan on keeping the currently Layouts. Otherwise you can skip this step and just delete any Signage Player after the Upgrade process has completed.
i. Repeat Step if multiple Display Devices exist
4. Go back to the Upgrade Device Wizard and click the Resume! link
5. Upgrade Device process should complete without errors
NOTE: If you are still receiving errors during the Upgrade process you must troubleshoot the issue.
If the failure occurred on “Step 30” then there may be an issue with the new Content Manager’s Licensing.
6. Reboot the Content Manager
Checking VBrick Digital Signage
Now that the migration has been completed there are some things you need to check and/or adjust in
VBrick Digital Signage.
1. Login into VBrick Digital Signage
2. Go to Configure | Hardware
3. Make Signage Player changes:
4. If changes were made to the Display device names, then verify that your
Signage Players’ DNS/IP Address and Description have been changed correctly.
NOTE: You will probably have to change the Description of the Player, depending on its original value.
5. If no changes were made to Display devices, then you can manage your
Signage Players here.
6. Verify that you can create or manage content in VBrick Digital Signage (i.e. Create a Simple Message).
NOTE: If you receive an error when creating or modifying content, then the
“BinaryStorage” folder does not have the correct Permissions.
* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project